Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How did you color it? Enamel paint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

mystes posted:

How did you color it? Enamel paint?

A spray paint that’s meant for bike frames. Had some left over from painting my bike. Works pretty good but it works differently than your usual spray paint.

https://spraybike.us

mystes
May 31, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

A spray paint that’s meant for bike frames. Had some left over from painting my bike. Works pretty good but it works differently than your usual spray paint.

Neat, thanks

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Those look seriously sick af. I'm like jelly.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Found a bearing press!!! Gonna try it out tomorrow since we're due yet more rain.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

felgs posted:

Found a bearing press!!! Gonna try it out tomorrow since we're due yet more rain.

:yeshaha:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone ever try wooden wheels. Like obvs I couldn't skate outside with them but man it seems like it'd be fun as gently caress to slide around a rink on some. The prices make me think twice though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Literally A Person posted:

Anyone ever try wooden wheels. Like obvs I couldn't skate outside with them but man it seems like it'd be fun as gently caress to slide around a rink on some. The prices make me think twice though.

https://rollerskateusa.com/sg-wh-wood.html
$70 doesn’t seem too bad? I’ve not used them since being an undedicated teen rink rat in the 90s, want to try it again now that i yknow know how to skate

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

https://rollerskateusa.com/sg-wh-wood.html
$70 doesn’t seem too bad? I’ve not used them since being an undedicated teen rink rat in the 90s, want to try it again now that i yknow know how to skate

Oh poo poo! I didn't even realize sure-grip made a set. Oh no. This is pushing me closer to doing this.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

dupersaurus posted:

This is all very tempting.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Bearing press is awfully fun..... Maybe cleaning is good because I can use the bearing press

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So drat nice had to go out for TWO skates today.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

So drat nice had to go out for TWO skates today.

I’ve found it’s hard to keep balance with only one skate

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

I’ve found it’s hard to keep balance with only one skate
There's some video where someone shows off by taking off one inline skate while going down a hill but I can't remember the details enough well enough to find it again

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

There's some video where someone shows off by taking off one inline skate while going down a hill but I can't remember the details enough well enough to find it again

I know a dip on quads who does that. He broke his ankle taking him out for a summer. Still does it.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I've been practicing balancing on one skate at a time and I can do that indefinitely on either foot until I run out of momentum so now I've been practicing the same but backwards and it's challenging. I do take my skates off standing up now though

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Third skate?? Probably should, huh?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

prisoner of waffles posted:

Planning to go somewhere with very nice beside-the-water asphalt and do some laps on Sunday. 🤞

E: also will be my first ride after swapping wheels left for right and rotating, curious to see how it feels

Trip report: it was really nice. I recalled the place as having very nice pavement but whoops! There’s a world of difference between what’s nice on a bike and what’s nice on blades. On blades, it’s okay but there’s still enough rumble that I’m always lowkey on-guard for a chunk of gravel or other surprise.

I need to work on my posture and core stabilization. It was cool to do a 5k on skates at a decent speed, but I had enough back pain towards the end that I know I ought to work on my weak points.

Feeling kinda curious about what someone suggested with going fast, having hip pads, and practicing aggressively. Not sure though. Doing the 5k I found that I can glide on one foot for longer than before… One tiny step towards some stop techniques.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Third skate?? Probably should, huh?

You know I support this, be it a third time out skating or uh a skate for your face?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

As long as your knees aren't feeling squirrelly keep on skating, but once you start feeling the slightest weirdness there it's best to stop. I only have this feeling if I'm practicing hard braking techniques and haven't been out for a while. Regular skating long distances hasn't ever given me knee trouble

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The skate shop was having a summer sale when I picked up the bearing press and I ended up getting some sure grip gravitys since they're the same hardness as my longboard (78a) and I really like that hardness when I'm cruising on the board on the local paths. The Rios came with the Rio wheels, which are 82a and slighly more narrow it feels, so I figured worse case I have two sets of wheels, and best case I have a ride that feels closer to what I'm used to.

The skate shop helped give me some pointers on skate adjustments, too, and showed me how to lace a way that feels sooo much better. Between those adjustments and the wheels it was just a totally different experience tonight by the river. I skated farther more confidentiality than I have since getting the Rios and I felt so good doing it the whole time.

I know 2km is nothing next to some of you, but Im still so excited, tonight really felt like not just trying but like it clicked. My stops felt so good, I could do strokes and bubbles, and cruising was just so easy on the Gravitys

Anyway, thanks for making me look into the bearing press, it paid off so big today

Also the Rios look sick as hell with the new wheels :3:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The rio roller boots all kick major rear end. That two-tone boardwalk look is just juicy.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Too loving hot but it's the only no rain forecasted day all week so I got my rear end out to really skate!!!

Today I learned the pedestrian crosswalk paint on the bike path is very slick, and that stagger stance owns for balance while cruising but I don't know how to bubble with my lead foot yet. Gonna get on that!!

Also did some very basic onto toes/onto heels in the grass to help get a feel for weight transfer and maybe, one day!!!, manuals

I'm lying if the aesthetics of it aren't what partially motivate me

I'm very excited lmao it's been ages since outdoors exercise felt good

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

felgs posted:

Too loving hot but it's the only no rain forecasted day all week so I got my rear end out to really skate!!!

Today I learned the pedestrian crosswalk paint on the bike path is very slick, and that stagger stance owns for balance while cruising but I don't know how to bubble with my lead foot yet. Gonna get on that!!

Also did some very basic onto toes/onto heels in the grass to help get a feel for weight transfer and maybe, one day!!!, manuals

The white lines are slick but usually the red or green or blue paints to distinguish a bus lane or mup are bumpy, I have a few routes that include them on a downhill to make a reasonable pace more manageable

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

felgs posted:

What are a stagger stance and "bubble" here? I think these are what I'd call scissoring (childish lol) and idk what the second one is.

Anyway I nearly hit the back of a bus yesterday when it unexpectedly slowed down and in the process of dodging round it nearly hit a lamppost I couldn't see, but I didn't so I'm going to say that I looked cool doing it and totally not that I was carrying way too much speed and wasn't expecting three double decker buses to turn up at once and try and frame themselves into the same junction.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

What are a stagger stance and "bubble" here? I think these are what I'd call scissoring (childish lol) and idk what the second one is.

Anyway I nearly hit the back of a bus yesterday when it unexpectedly slowed down and in the process of dodging round it nearly hit a lamppost I couldn't see, but I didn't so I'm going to say that I looked cool doing it and totally not that I was carrying way too much speed and wasn't expecting three double decker buses to turn up at once and try and frame themselves into the same junction.

Stagger stance is with one foot ahead of the other, it’s absolutely necessary for uneven surfaces.

Bubbles are tracing circles with your skate to move forward instead of doing a kick.

gently caress I hate bus operators, I got a concussion from basically the same story a week ago. Operator ran a red and then found themselves stuck blocking the entire road by getting the bus lodged lengthwise across three lanes.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Stagger stance is with one foot ahead of the other, it’s absolutely necessary for uneven surfaces.

Bubbles are tracing circles with your skate to move forward instead of doing a kick.

gently caress I hate bus operators, I got a concussion from basically the same story a week ago. Operator ran a red and then found themselves stuck blocking the entire road by getting the bus lodged lengthwise across three lanes.

Oh ok yeah I'd call those two scissoring and lemons...no I didn't make those up myself, that's what Asha from Skatefresh called them when I had beginners lessons waaaaaay back.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Since it's really humid and the air quality is moderately bad here now I decided to try going to an ice rink and using the ice skates I bought and never had a chance to use this winter.

Ice skating is really weird.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

Since it's really humid and the air quality is moderately bad here now I decided to try going to an ice rink and using the ice skates I bought and never had a chance to use this winter.

Ice skating is really weird.

Ever since at the rink some person seemingly in their early twenties fell in front of me and when I was skating to the side kicked so their wheel went straight to my crotch I’ve figured I dont want to be in public with people strapping blades.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah that was a good choice

I decided pink alone wasn’t enough so I added some speed stripes

Done with a pen instead of spray so the Finnish isn’t as nice but whatever. Also got a clear coat with metallic flakes but I gotta wait for the humidity to go down a bit before applying.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

That's hot as hell. When I wanted to try out a smaller frame I found a heavily discounted seba one that's metallic orange that I thought would go well with my red FR1s and it's ok, but it's not pink

Edit: and ice skating always takes me like 15 minutes to figure out how to keep my feet under me since most of my skating experience is inline

Mauser fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 20, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

I decided pink alone wasn’t enough so I added some speed stripes

Done with a pen instead of spray so the Finnish isn’t as nice but whatever. Also got a clear coat with metallic flakes but I gotta wait for the humidity to go down a bit before applying.
that's really slick

Mauser posted:

Edit: and ice skating always takes me like 15 minutes to figure out how to keep my feet under me since most of my skating experience is inline
I don't have much ice skating experience so it's just really weird how it's not like inline skates where there's a ton of traction until you hit a point where you slip out as you angle the skates.

I couldn't manage to get myself to try to do a hockey stop but it's really bizarre that the angle of the skates doesn't really seem to matter so I guess you can kind of just do a sharp turn with your skate vertical and not die?

I fell over when I tried to do a transition and I guess on inline skates it kind of feels like the wheels "want" to point forwards/backwards and you can kind of rely on that (using sideways pressure) to get yourself in the right position, but on ice skates the blades don't really care what direction they're oriented in so you'll just fall over if you try to do it the same way? At least that's what it feels like I think

Overall it feels kind of unstable compared to inline skating but you don't have to worry about getting stuck if you try to slide which just feels confusing after having done a bunch of inline skating

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 20, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I'm no expert, but ice skating, skiing and snowboarding all seem to be about using the edge for turns. Ice skating in particular seems really slippy when you're not on your edge, but I'm assuming you get able to skate flat easily the more you practice. Last time I went out I wasn't thinking about it too much, but while moving forward with momentum I could stand up straight with no problem.

Turning hard on ice skates felt like it was almost impossible to lose traction because you have the corner of your skate digging in really hard, whereas on inline skates I find it very easy to lose traction turning too sharply and starting a slide because all you got is a bit of rubber. I did try crossovers on ice and it was really hard to get comfortable with it and I was much happier to just keep both feet on the ground

Edit: another thing to consider is that speeds on ice skates are probably a lot higher than rollerblading for the same effort, so that might play a bit of a role

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Do you guys have advice for things I can do to get used to the t stop motion, and how to practice it outside? My plow stops are okay and feel comfortable, but t stops always feel like I'm about to fall over, I'm having a hard time committing to the movement.

Almost got my lead foot bubble going with stagger stance today, just need to key in my hip placement over the skates I think.

mystes
May 31, 2006

felgs posted:

Do you guys have advice for things I can do to get used to the t stop motion, and how to practice it outside? My plow stops are okay and feel comfortable, but t stops always feel like I'm about to fall over, I'm having a hard time committing to the movement.
Can you balance on one skate?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

mystes posted:

Can you balance on one skate?

I can, yeah.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

You've *probably* got too much weight on the back/dragging foot, that will make you unstable because that foot is obviously not under your center of gravity, but also can end up twisting you round a bit. The other classic is not having the wheels "flat" and only braking with the first wheel which can pull your leg round (bad description).

Start off with little to no weight over the dragging foot and build from there. You'll find that more than changing the weight, you get control on the braking speed by lengthening/shortening your stance.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Also worth trying it with the other foot too, just in case. You're most likely instinctively doing it whichever way is easiest for you but skating sometimes surprises you with what works. Mostly coming from the aggressive side of things where it's pretty normal for someone to struggle with a grind for years only to try it the other way and then figure it out in a single session. Regardless, can't hurt to be an ambidextrous t-stopper for the sake of your wheels.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try stuff out tomorrow and see if it clicks better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

So there were/are a few things going on.

Right trucks were too loose for me, so it made balancing on that leg really hard, so I tweaked that until it's still letting me turn but feels more stable.

Rolling while on one foot, especially outside, is not something I'm very comfortable with, so that's something I need to practice going forward. It feels like if I get better at that, I wont feel a need to panic and drop my other foot when I need to do it more gently.

Pulling my stance in helped, too, because it made me realize I'm letting the back foots hip rotate away too much.

All good things to know! Thanks again for the advice, gonna keep practicing at it :)