Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Punisher #14 (2010)

It's so weird to see some Punisher drawn by someone who can draw, in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Depends on the issue and sometimes even the page. Things have been pretty fluid in the last few series.

Mythologically accurate!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Punisher vs. Bullseye #2 (2006)

Punisher War Journal #1 (2007)

Uncle Scrooge #11 (1955)

Foolkiller #5 (2017)

The Thanos Imperative #4 (2010)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

site posted:

was mj really in the wrong tho

Arthur did nothing wrong either. D.W. had it coming.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I remember 90s art being dire but this is pretty bad

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

psychopomp posted:

That broke my brain.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Don't make fun of the Escherian, she was the hot new character of 1992.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

She looks like ahe is about to turn into a Swastika

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ImpAtom posted:

She looks like ahe is about to turn into a Swastika

That's why Cap got so mad last time

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kalli posted:

Don't make fun of the Escherian, she was the hot new character of 1992.

Obviously Marvel trying to capitalise on the exciting new trend of spacially displaced super heroes, like DC's Nowhere Man:

Should be taking off any... time... now.....

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ghostbuster Osamu - Chapter 25

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

psychopomp posted:

:chome:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I know I'm basing it on a curated set of funny panels, but was the punisher ever actually cool and not just a dweeb with a body count?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i like the idea of bullseye using his throwing skills to just be an arse to people

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hel posted:

I know I'm basing it on a curated set of funny panels, but was the punisher ever actually cool and not just a dweeb with a body count?

People who think Punisher is cool also think the dude from Peaky Blinders is bad-rear end.

I.e. they're incels cum cops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i like the idea of bullseye using his throwing skills to just be an arse to people

I think there's a series where he goes undercover as a baseball pitcher. Which is like the opposite of a short story I read about a hitman that was hired to kill a minor league pitcher, but the guy has a perfect game, so the hitman waits until after his next game to kill him, but he just keeps pitching so amazingly that the hitman keeps waiting another day and basically follows him on the road.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

All-Rounder Meguru

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hel posted:

Short answer, no, he was never cool.

Long answer, he's always been the raw power fantasy that steps back into the past to a time when duels to the death were an acceptable means of righting a wrong.

I'm going to explain this very badly because it'll be paraphrasing a post someone else made, but over time, justice has become more and more of a social contract, going from "I shall see justice done with my own two hands covered in blood" to "I shall trust my lord to seek justice and reparations in my name" to "I shall trust the system to exact justice." Vigilante heroes who step back and violate the new social contract must take on some burden to represent the trade-off. In return for seeking justice with his own hands, Batman must never kill and must turn his captured villains in to the notably corrupt and/or incompetent system that releases them back onto the streets for good behavior.

Punny doesn't do that. Obviously. So instead they write him as a broken man incapable of connections, hoping that this gets across that this level of social contract violation is not something to aspire to or emulate.

You can see how well this has worked.

e: Found the actual post I'm paraphrasing, which was about how it's weird not to kill the people you've defeated who either have or are obviously going to enact horrible crimes, in an LP thread for a really bad Pokemon fangame:

Precambrian posted:

The short of it is, you're seeing the tail end of over a thousand years of evolving legal theory that was built around preventing conflicts from escalating into nightmarish and endless feuds (see the Brennu Njal's Saga for an example). Mostly, this has been done by slowly transferring power from landed, familial power structures to the bureaucratic elite--going from "I am obligated to kill the man who killed my brother to prove to my other family members that I can offer meaningful protection," to "I will accept weregild from my brother's killer and consider the matter settled," to "I will go to the State and seek justice against the man who killed my brother." But that means powerful individuals had to cede power to something above them, which is really difficult, so social pressure from Revenge Tragedies such as Titus Andronicus, and much later Revenge Novels like Moby Dick and The Count of Monte Cristo, emphasize the folly and limitation of revenge and personal justice.

Mind, I'm aggressively over-summarizing the history, but a vigilante character like Batman is literally a landed knight taking power back from the bureaucratic elite, so to temper the extremely revanchist attitude, he pays fealty by not killing. It's a fictional conceit to keep Batman from becoming a right wing fantasy figure like the Punisher.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 14, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Punisher is part of a genre called "male action", like Rambo and Remo.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil (1941)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Darthemed posted:

Punisher vs. Bullseye #2 (2006)

the fact that he could throw a paper airplane from that far and it still appeared to hurt Frank really speaks to his skill of killing people by throwing things at them

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I.e. they're incels cum cops.

I believe you mean:

:cumpolice:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Fantastic Four #129 (1972)

The Fury of Firestorm, The Nuclear Man #17 (1983)

PunisherMax #20 (2012)

Manhunter #9 (1989)

Crazy #2 (1954)

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Hel posted:

To add: the "coolest" depiction of the Punisher, Ennis's Punisher Max run, features the Punisher as an utterly hollowed out old man who only knows how to kill, regularly faces mind-destroyingly awful but far too realistic horrors and has to abandon his surprise infant daughter because of how compelled he is to continue to hunt down criminals.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And even the run that rescued the character from the depths of truly shlocky comics, Welcome Back Frank, featured him smothering the Russian under a fat guy and later on gunning down his imitator fan club.

Of course the Russian is introduced by a squad of special forces sent to take him down which results in:

and the aforementioned fan club:

So who can say really?

WBF definitely wanted you to treat Frank like an Eastwood or Bronson character, but dove headfirst into high number death wish / dirty harry sequel corny territory immediately.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 14, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kulkasha posted:

To add: the "coolest" depiction of the Punisher, Ennis's Punisher Max run, features the Punisher as an utterly hollowed out old man who only knows how to kill, regularly faces mind-destroyingly awful but far too realistic horrors and has to abandon his surprise infant daughter because of how compelled he is to continue to hunt down criminals.

yeah i would say the ~ coolest ~ frank looks even within max is the one arc where he rescues a child, because even within the mass slaughter he does all the plot stuff falls to others outside of his portion of the story. frank's only plot is "protects the girl". the next most "cool" you could possibly say is the slavers probably just because of how extremely awful everything is in that story and you really hate the bad guys. but even there frank does some of his most awful stuff to people in the entire run, so

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Air Skwirl posted:

I think there's a series where he goes undercover as a baseball pitcher. Which is like the opposite of a short story I read about a hitman that was hired to kill a minor league pitcher, but the guy has a perfect game, so the hitman waits until after his next game to kill him, but he just keeps pitching so amazingly that the hitman keeps waiting another day and basically follows him on the road.
Bullseye: Perfect Game.

Summary: Bullseye has grown weary of shooting Ukrainian gangsters through the eye from two miles away, of killing mutants with poisoned darts through the ear, of killing drug lords by winging a playing card through their bathroom windows. His agent gets in touch with him about some potential jobs, and Bullseye decides that a baseball pitcher in the National League, with whom some gamblers are very upset, sounds like an interesting project. He's going to spend a full season going undercover as a new pitcher, until he's in a game against the target and BAM! Dude gets sent to the dugout in the sky.

Things proceed, including a training montage with Taskmaster, Bullseye messing with the teams' scheduling to get himself and his target in position, and an initial failed attempt at the target. Then, the day comes. Bullseye realizes at the bottom of the 6th that he's been pitching a perfect game so far, and so has the target. Bottom of the 9th, he's facing the target just like he planned, and they've both been perfect so far. He decides he likes the idea of finishing out the perfect game a little bit better than of killing the target right now, and therefore letting the target keep that perfect game. So he just throws a regular fastball for a strike. Unfortunately, the umpire calls it a ball, so Bullseye's team loses and more importantly he loses the perfect game. The target retires from baseball anyway, and Bullseye disappears from the league, apart from a quick visit to kill the umpire who called him out with Bullseye's own baseball card.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's.... that's just a really fun idea for a miniseries. I love that synopsis.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

darthbob88 posted:

Things proceed, including a training montage with Taskmaster, Bullseye messing with the teams' scheduling to get himself and his target in position, and an initial failed attempt at the target. Then, the day comes. Bullseye realizes at the bottom of the 6th that he's been pitching a perfect game so far, and so has the target. Bottom of the 9th, he's facing the target just like he planned, and they've both been perfect so far. He decides he likes the idea of finishing out the perfect game a little bit better than of killing the target right now, and therefore letting the target keep that perfect game. So he just throws a regular fastball for a strike. Unfortunately, the umpire calls it a ball, so Bullseye's team loses and more importantly he loses the perfect game. The target retires from baseball anyway, and Bullseye disappears from the league, apart from a quick visit to kill the umpire who called him out with Bullseye's own baseball card.

Even better:

The last panels involve Daredevil acquiring the card from some mega-collector.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i appreciate this

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i want a taskmaster and bullseye team up thats just them being really good at sports

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

i want a taskmaster and bullseye team up thats just them being really good at sports

I did see a panel where two rich guys had hired them as stand-ins for a golf tournament. That might have been around the same time as the baseball thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dareon posted:

I did see a panel where two rich guys had hired them as stand-ins for a golf tournament. That might have been around the same time as the baseball thing.

I think that was the Taskmaster mini by our very own Vulpes. Which was only a few years ago, either right before or right after COVID shut everything down. The golf game goes south pretty fast.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Punisher War Journal #1 (2007)

Punisher #34 (2006)

Punisher vs Bullseye #3 (2006)

Fury of Firestorm, The Nuclear Man #26 (1984)

Sonic the Hedgehog #195 (2008)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Taskmaster forced to play the role of Barry Bonds for a couple of weeks so Bullseye can figure out his fastball really puts this bit from the initiative into perspective.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Peacemaker Tries Hard! #3 features the return of a true comic legend

Context: Peacemaker's dog was kidnapped by Monsieur Mallah and the Brain and in the process of trying to get him back Peacemaker's forced to break his parole (and they don't give the dog back). and so his parole officer Richard comes around to take him in. Luckily Peacemaker explains what's going on

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

"Master assassins infiltrating sports and being too distracted by their sports rivalries to kill each other" would be a totally winning premise for a Shonen Jump manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TwoPair posted:

Context: Peacemaker's dog

I don't know anything about comic book Peacemaker, but in that TV series he had Eagly, not a dog, and Eagly isn't featuring here. This is disappointing, though I do hope he got the dog back, thanks to the help of the legendary Red Bee.