Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

you just said this is the ww3 callup!!!

It's boiler plate. They're just going to make some reservists do some poo poo work nobody else wanted to do. It's unlikely Biden even read the order before signing it, and not just because he's dementia addled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The point is the Russia will probably take half of Ukrainian territory, Biden is just making sure the Russian's sector is basically undesirable. Cluster munitions, mines, the conquerors will have only a pyrrhic victory.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Egg Moron posted:

name me one drat movie that smooth brained war lovers have seen where the good guys don't win big

Platoon

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Slavvy posted:

Cross of iron

that movie ends with all the nazis getting killed by the Red Army

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Regarde Aduck posted:

libs literally think Russians are down to T-62's now. And they've been out of artillery since March 2022. And all their tires were bad because chinese.

One of the absolute geniuses at Bellingcat claimed, with full confidence, that Russia would be completely out of artillery ammo within two weeks (so like mid-March 2022)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

that movie ends with all the nazis getting killed by the Viet Cong

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

that movie ends with all the nazis getting killed by the Red Army

Egg Moron posted:

name me one drat movie that smooth brained war lovers have seen where the good guys don't win big

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

libs literally think Russians are down to T-62's now. And they've been out of artillery since March 2022. And all their tires were bad because chinese.

Is the T-62 a bad tank? I don't think people understand that a tank is still a big armored box with a gently caress off huge gun even if it's old, and tank on tank battles don't happen frequently unless it's a videogame.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What I'm saying is as far as smooth brained war lovers are concerned, the good guys lost in cross of iron

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

OctaMurk posted:

the battle at lake chanjin

That movie ends with the Nazis getting killed by the People's Liberation Army

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

look fuckers, the good guys win in all these movies

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Is the T-62 a bad tank? I don't think people understand that a tank is still a big armored box with a gently caress off huge gun even if it's old, and tank on tank battles don't happen frequently unless it's a videogame.

Russian t62: bad, lovely old obsolete pile of junk

Ukrainian t64: modern high tech ingenuity

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

what's going on

The recruitment shortfalls are biting. Lowest in decades.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The British and Canadian militaries also have a "population bottleneck" after the massive cuts in the 90's. Anyone who stayed in and is now a general officer had the temperament to watch that happen, chose not to pursue another career, was protected from being discharged. To be frank, they were probably financially comfortable enough that they went almost a decade without a pay raise without just taking the severance. Or, they're dour thrifty Prots and didn't mind.

They went to Bosnia and on UN tours, maybe Haiti, Somalia or Rwanda, which means they're willing to put up with some pretty upsetting stuff that could cause people to be disgusted with the institution or lose their sense of purpose. They were probably senior enough for Afghanistan that they had significant responsibilities and yet didn't get disheartened by feeling like they weren't accomplishing anything. People were hurt or killed on their watch and they didn't ruffle any feathers in Ottawa over it.

The Regular regiments watched the Airborne commit warcrimes and still have their officers shoot to the top, then Special Forces become the darling of the politicians. The Reserve regiments had their Airborne beat homeless people to death, and still have their officers shoot to the top, then Reservists attached to SF become the darling of the politicians. They were still able to ride it out, as every other arm had resources cut, general staff appointments cut, Ottawa and Kingston postings cut, and they didn't ruffle any feathers in Ottawa over it.

This means there is a certain kind of person who hangs in there during periods of decline and contraction.

Well, it stands to reason that anyone who rode out the Russian Army of the loving 1990's is this kind of person, and that probably doesn't exactly leave the heirs of Zhukov any more than the above are the heirs of Monty. They're political animals and survivors, but that doesn't select for military leadership per se, and eliminates the "deep bench" I was talking about that you'd want to draw from.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i like how the article has to mention "china bad" right in the middle of it lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starsfan posted:

yeah there's been some very brutal investigative journalism reporting that paints a very grim picture on how indigenous people are treated in the hospital system in Canada. They are flat our denied care and victims of malpractice at a far greater incidence than non indigenous people.

Canadians are racist as all get out.. just not in the way that people normally think about racism.. get people talking about the indigenous though and it all comes out.

Indigenous Consultation
During the drafting of Bill C-7, the Department of Justice undertook public consultations with Indigenous leaders and experts; however, the committee underscores that these consultations were not comprehensive. The department failed to include Métis- or Inuit-specific representation in their Indigenous roundtable. Bill C-7 does not address the concerns that were raised at the Indigenous roundtable during the consultation process regarding the limited access to culturally appropriate healthcare options for Indigenous Peoples and systemic racism in the healthcare system.

Parliamentary Review
The preamble to Bill C-7 states that a committee of Parliament will begin a review of the legislative provisions relating to MAiD and the state of palliative care in Canada in June 2020. It does not specify that the parliamentary review look at Indigenous Peoples’ access to MAiD or access to culturally appropriate palliative care. Parliamentary review of MAiD legislation should include research and analysis on Indigenous Peoples’ access to and use of MAiD, and on culturally appropriate palliative care in Indigenous communities.

Support services
Several witnesses stated that improved disability supports, palliative care and mental health services are needed in conjunction with or instead of access to MAiD and that additional investments in these support services are essential. Indigenous Peoples, especially those living in remote areas, face additional barriers to accessing culturally appropriate support services which may be alternatives to MAiD. Future parliamentary reviews of the legislation should pay particular attention to the accessibility of culturally appropriate support services for Indigenous Peoples.

Representatives of major national disability organizations stated that removing the legal requirement of a person having a “reasonably foreseeable natural death” to be eligible for MAiD would single out disability in a manner that would be inconsistent with the equality rights guaranteed by the Charter, and that they anticipated a constitutional challenge on this basis if any such amendment is passed.

Adequate Access to Health Care
•In discussing Canadians’ adequate access to health care, many witnesses told the committee that:
oMany Canadians do not have sufficient access to quality health care and support services, particularly for persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, those living in remote areas, and racialized persons, among others.
oCanadians, especially in certain regions, also face a lack of access to trained and qualified MAiD assessors and providers.
oMany are concerned that individuals may choose MAiD if there are not sufficient alternatives in palliative care or mental and physical health supports available to them.
o Some underscored that MAiD should only be considered as a last resort when all other alternatives have been considered.

Indigenous Peoples
•Many witnesses testified that the Government of Canada’s consultations with Indigenous peoples were insufficient, that Inuit and Métis were not consulted, and that Canada’s MAiD framework did not adequately fulfill the Government’s responsibility to consult.
•Witnesses cautioned that Indigenous peoples are not monolithic and their views and perspectives on MAiD are diverse.
•Witnesses raised concerns that Indigenous peoples should be informed about MAiD in a culturally safe way.
•Witnesses repeated the need for physicians to ensure that patients who are eligible for MAiD are not pressured or coerced due to lack of support services.

:thunk:

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Jul 13, 2023

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I know I live in a bubble, so I’m asking what regular people think. Surely not that the attacker (3:1 advantage required), outgunned 10:1 is somehow inflicting 5:1 or even 2:1 casualties on the defender?

How? I don’t mean philosophically or metaphysically, but in real terms by what mechanism do they envision this happening? Small arms fire? If so, as small arms engagements have a low lethality and take place with 150m, how are Ukrainian rifles inflicting causalities in Russian trenches with the more exposed Ukrainians getting the better of the exchange?

Crew served weapons? How does that mesh with Russia’s 10:1 advantage? In real, practical terms, what makes Ukrainian crew served weapons 10x more effective to achieve parity, and then another 2-5x more effective to achieve the claimed ratios?

I’m not trying to be pedantic or rhetorical, I’m just curious what normal people think the tactical situation looks like.

https://twitter.com/Rebel44CZ/status/1679542760854937609?t=rQPb2j_IP49zhKkyTCqbuw&s=19
https://twitter.com/Rebel44CZ/status/1679542655515250688?t=UE1agecpp4Igc2GK2ZqYnQ&s=19

Look, 50 is bigger than 16, you can't deny that

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'd say the main issue with a T-62 is all about its targeting systems. If it's upgraded to a modern standard with a laser rangefinder and thermals then it's fine. I don't think its wise to go onto a modern battlefield without those as a bare minimum but i'm just a civvie

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Preemptive lmao if it turns out to be true that the carrot Biden offered Erdogan is a loving IMF loan

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

tazjin posted:

Preemptive lmao if it turns out to be true that the carrot Biden offered Erdogan is a loving IMF loan

probably lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't want to start raving like a lunatic, but I saw a pub not long ago that said, as close to verbatim as I can recall, that the T-62 is being used only as a substitute for the BMP-3 in the fire support role in formations where the BMP-3 has not yet been delivered in sufficient quantities for it to be the primary IFV. I would speculate that it's also being used in BTR equipped formations and maybe to augment BMP-3 equipped formations if available.

So - if that's the case - the BMP-3 should be the point of comparison for firepower and protection, since T-62 is reportedly being used as a substitute in the fire support role, rather than T-72B3 or T-90 in the MBT role. Someone can fish around to see if there are publicly available pubs on the above, but that's my understanding of the current doctrine surrounding T-62.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mawarannahr posted:

the nazi farmer with a heart of gold

Couple gold teeth too, don’t ask where he got them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

the T-62 has a really good gun that can shoot modern ammunition, which is all it really needs to do

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I know we had this exact conversation last year, but I have a theory: the failure of the incredibly expensive MGS programs have led to western militaries kind of forgetting what a fire support vehicle is. Maybe just the public, idk.

Now, would anyone run around claiming using these was proof NATO at its pinnacle was "out of tanks" or using "bad" tanks?

The marketing of the incredibly expensive M1 Abrams and Leopard 2 as the solution for everything (so you buy more?), and its consequences has been a disaster for all NATO-kind. Using my $10M, 75 tonne tank to destroy a machine gun nest.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Jul 13, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Why do those tanks have wheels.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

fanfic insert posted:

whats up with the "punished x" thing with avs/pfp with eyepatches? why are they always psycho-posting?

Regarde Aduck posted:

reference to metal gear solid 5

it means they are badass

Yep

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Why do those tanks have wheels.

lol if you want to get into it, this was actually another one of those 1980's, 1990's things,

The entire second half of the (required reading) On Armor is about how the age of tracked vehicles are over, the future is air-transportable wheeled vehicles. It was a huge, huge thing in the 90's. Belgium scrapped all of their tracked vehicles, other NATO countries cut way back.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:40 on Jul 13, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZWxxZ2JGE

One of the points here was that even though the generals were sacked, it didn't end their careers, and they got another shot in some other theater or front.

ok but hear me out firing a general hurts their feelings and in a way isnt that kind of an authoritarianism

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

McKinsey hates that you have a lot of people doing staff work in the chance that one might be the man who relieves the division commander, and that you have no idea if he has that spark in peacetime where he might be a demotivated, ho hum administrator. Meanwhile a career hustle mindset wonderkid like... McClellan ... might be a huge drag on the war

McClellan was a fine general and was exactly the sort of general the Union needed at the start of the war. He turned the army of Potomac into an actual fighting force instead of a bunch of conscripts with guns and he turned Washington D.C. into the most fortified city in the world. He was loved by his troops, probably for the same reason he was hated by politicians, his refusal to attack pointlessly. His peninsular campaign was an incredibly bold offensive, bypassing Confederate fortifications and attempting to seize their capital directly with a sea-supplied army. Attempts to replace him went terribly, with Pope, Burnside, and Hooker being removed in short order.

He had a lot of problems but I would rank him as one of the good generals of the Civil War, maybe even one of the greats when you consider his many skills at the boring (non-battle) parts of war. When he was finally replaced by Grant and Meade it was the correct call but he made huge contributions to winning the Civil War.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
lol
National Guard's State Partnership Program Marks 30 Years

www.defense.gov posted:

This weekend, the National Guard's State Partnership Program marks 30 years of contacts, exercises and aid to nations around the world. 

The SPP is a unique program that began in 1993. It paired state National Guard units with the newly independent nations of the former Soviet Union and nations emerging from the Warsaw Pact. 

"The program that began in 1993 with just 13 countries and has now grown to 100 countries," said Army Maj. Gen. William L. Zana, the Guard's director of strategy, plans and international affairs. The general spoke about the program at the Pentagon today. 

The importance of allies and partners is a cornerstone of U.S. strategy. "It is a theme that runs deeply through our national security strategy, national defense strategy, and national military strategy," Zana said. "And I'd argue [it] is deeply encultured within what we do as the U.S. military, how we operate and our values." 

The SPP is based on working side-by-side with willing partners around the world. The National Guard Bureau administers the program in close consultation with Defense Department officials and the State Department. The aim is to build trust, confidence and capabilities with partner nations. 

In the early days of the program, the emphasis was on helping nations throw off 47 years of Soviet domination. Many of the nations that were in that first class of partners are now proud members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. 

The program soon punched above its weight and spread to U.S. Southern Command, U.S. Central Command, U.S. Africa Command, and U.S. Indo-Pacific Command. "The Guard is currently partnered with more than half of the world's nations, and we expect to see continued growth in the coming years," Zana said.  

Combatant commanders universally praise the program. "[The SPP] is 1 percent of the nation's security cooperation budget and results in 20 to 30 percent of the touch points or engagements that combatant commands have," the general said. "So, they inherently see that value and the multipliers that go with that." 

These contacts are not limited to senior military and civilian officials, rather they stretch from privates and airmen up to generals. Guardsmen – unlike active-duty personnel – tend to stay in place, and many of the Guard's noncommissioned officers and officers have "grown up" with their partners. 

Zana, who has worked two of the last four years in Africa, said exercises are good training, but often of short duration. "It's not the same as having a relationship that has endured over many, many years where … families know one another, you've broken bread on both sides of an ocean," he said. "You can't build that trust overnight. I think it's something that is we, as the United States military, are particularly good — and our partners are really good — at." 

The partners have done more than simply exercise together. When U.S. National Guard units began deploying in harm's way, the partners came with them. "The richness of those connections, it can't be… be overstated," the general said. "It's one of those things that made the program popular and built the enduring enthusiasm for it." 

National Guardsmen are citizen soldiers who bring experiences and education from their civilian occupations to the process. "Oftentimes, some of the most creative activities and the things that happened with the program are an expansion beyond mil-to-mil or the creativity that goes with our soldiers, airmen and their counterparts from other countries," he said. "That said, there are limitations with the funding of the program." 

The program calls for around $50 million, with additions coming from Congress. Zana would like to see all the money "on budget" to create a better planning horizon. "This year, we've got hundreds of events that we've either had to cancel or postpone," he said. "And these are all events that are very much aligned with our national defense strategy and very much aligned with our partners and our combatant commands' theater strategies." 

Ukraine was an early member of the program, partnering with the California National Guard in 1993. California Guardsmen helped train Ukrainian service members in NATO standards. They also trained them in using weapons like the Javelin and Stingers that were so crucial in the early days of the Russian invasion of the country.  

The California connection thrust the SPP into the news, and Americans got an idea of the depth and breadth of the military-to-military relationship. "In advance of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, we were doing close partnerships, not just with the, with California and Ukraine," Zana said. "One of the things we often refer to is ‘You marry one state, but you get the whole family with the Guard.' So, when there's a capability that doesn't exist within the Army Guard or Air Guard within a state, we reach across the 54 states, territories and the District of Columbia to be able to get additional resources or capability." 

One aspect that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves is the way Ukraine has adopted the U.S. emphasis on unit and tactical-level leadership, driven by noncommissioned officers. "If you look at the small unit, tactics and success within Ukraine, I think part of that is attributed back to much of the work that was done between Ukraine, California and other partners in the region," he said. 

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's the dumbest thing in the world to be Archeotech, but basically no one has been able to make new M113s.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The T-62 is a tier 5 tank with an offensive rating of 27 and defense of 22. It's good for it's tier, but it's up against modern tier 8 stuff. The Leopard has 35 defense! How can a 27 offensive stat even scratch 35 defense? Field all the T-62s you want but a single Leopard is going to roll right over them. And that's not even considering the new tier 9 stuff!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BearsBearsBears posted:

McClellan was a fine general and was exactly the sort of general the Union needed at the start of the war. He turned the army of Potomac into an actual fighting force instead of a bunch of conscripts with guns and he turned Washington D.C. into the most fortified city in the world. He was loved by his troops, probably for the same reason he was hated by politicians, his refusal to attack pointlessly. His peninsular campaign was an incredibly bold offensive, bypassing Confederate fortifications and attempting to seize their capital directly with a sea-supplied army. Attempts to replace him went terribly, with Pope, Burnside, and Hooker being removed in short order.

He had a lot of problems but I would rank him as one of the good generals of the Civil War, maybe even one of the greats when you consider his many skills at the boring (non-battle) parts of war. When he was finally replaced by Grant and Meade it was the correct call but he made huge contributions to winning the Civil War.

That's entirely fair. I think the "organizers" are important, and seem to be the best "peacetime" officers (The Psychology of Military Incompetence calls them "Rat Catchers") who can assemble a decent force to put in the field. Again, the generals who get the credit for sending that force into battle are usually dogshit planners and administrators, so it makes sense that they inherited a good fighting force painstakingly assembled by someone who lacked the mystérieux émanait to win with that force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MMLT1RjHXY

I think you're right about the division of skills between battle/non-battle. Like I said, I know enough about my own personality that I don't like being aggressive or have the confidence to be the star of the show (ask me about The Great Santini sometime lol).

The problem, to loop this back to my favourite Danish military study, is that neoliberal militaries are actively recruiting absolute bloodless psycho careerists who can oversee cuts and everything else (or rather, trying to). Christman described university administrators really well recently and I think it encapsulates the changes in the military, though I can't remember it will enough to reiterate it.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Jul 13, 2023

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1679475461087272962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDJ8rSyaYdE&t=357s

The Kiev Independent is trying to explain the history of Ukrainian nationalism and the prominence of Bandera and the OUN in modern Ukraine to its audience of western liberals. Even with the most charitable explanation of the OUN's history, they still come across as a bunch of bloodthirsty pogromists who make the "Soviet myths and anti-Ukrainian propaganda" sound completely accurate. There's also some bonus judeo-bolshevism when they try to justify the antisemitism of the OUN as Political since they thought the Jews were loyal to the Communist Party.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sometimes all you need is a vehicle with a cannon on it that doesn’t explode when a 12.7mm MG looks at it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
[UKR-RUS] Was Stepan Bandera good or evil?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Endman posted:

Sometimes all you need is a vehicle with a cannon on it that doesn’t explode when a 12.7mm MG looks at it

Most of the time. Most of the time vehicles are not being shot at with .50. You can say that the idea that they need that level of bulk and protection is the result of the MIC profit motive, western professional military/expeditionary war casualty avoidance, or a combination, but nobody besides Special Forces is ever going to see anything like the Bren Gun Carrier again, unless they go all-in on Defeating the Russian BTG, in which case lol/rip.

I mean, just watch those Ukrainian attacks with MRAPS. What the gently caress were they thinking? An MRAP is supposed to be a truck that doesn't create headlines at home. That's it, that's all. Which means that it's not useful in either the high intensity part of conventional war, where you want an IFV, the average intensity, where you want an APC, or the rear echelon/other duties, where you want a truck.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
A t-64 was a pretty big jump in tech, it was a complete new design in terms of composite armor, a larger gun, autoloader, and a gas turbine engine (basically much closer to a modern tank). It is a better tank than the t-62 but it is expensive with some reliability issues. The T-72 was the "cheaper" mass produced tank, but in all honesty, it had a better autoloader, similar protection, and its diesel engine was a lot more reliable.

The T-62 is probably fine in a support role where you need to have some type of fire support (I guess possibly to replace BMP-3s) and I would assume an issue the Russians are having is simply being able to scale the size of their military with mobilized personnel and volunteers coming in.

It is clear the Russians have been modernizing T-72/T-80s, as well as building more T-90s.

It does beg the question about armor reserves as well, since the Russians still have a huge amount of T-72s sitting around and total Russian tank reserves seem to be 2-3 times that of the US according to satellite data.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Jul 13, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

To be clear I don't think they're trying to replace BMP-3s, I think they're being used as a substitute until they can get enough of them. One of the most unvarnished facets of this whole conflict has been the degree to which everyone, even begrudgingly, is impressed with the BMP-3. I've even seen it described as the perfect execution of the IFV concept the Soviets have been working towards since the BMP-1.

It's just that they're expensive and hard to produce, and so there was a dearth of them in the 90's. I think it's been a bit of a surprise, actually, but I haven't seen anyone with a bad thing to say about them. Nearly never the case for Soviet-designed kit, so I'm sure NAFO is talking poo poo about them somewhere, but everything I've read said it lived up to or exceeded the dream of the 80's and 90's, which really drives home how broke Russia was(/is?) because I'm sure they would have loved for them to be a 1:1 replacement for BMP-2s in all BMP equipped Motor Rifle Formations.

It took them a long time to get the design down, combining the strengths of a low pressure gun and auto cannon, with an acceptable level of protection, mobility and capacity, but... goddamn I would love if our MIC could put the Cougar's 76mm on a LAV without it costing $8M.

It's also cool because in my reference books you go from, it being a rumour in the 70's which the authors dismiss as an impossibility, to possible sightings and leaks in the 80's which the authors are amazed by but the Soviets will never produce in any number, to the 90's where, like the BTR-90 it pretty much disappears, to Georgia and Ukraine '15 where it was sort of dismissed, to now, where, goddamn yeah the BMP-3 is pretty great for transporting an infantry section and giving them enough firepower against all threats to accomplish their task. That's really neat.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Jul 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

lol if you want to get into it, this was actually another one of those 1980's, 1990's things,

The entire second half of the (required reading) On Armor is about how the age of tracked vehicles are over, the future is air-transportable wheeled vehicles. It was a huge, huge thing in the 90's. Belgium scrapped all of their tracked vehicles, other NATO countries cut way back.

I guess it's harder for your tank to break down when it can't engage the enemy off-road.