Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sounds like I should do Live a Live first then. I'll do both for sure, it's one of my favorite genres, but it'll be harder to go back than forward it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

unattended spaghetti posted:

Octopath does have random encounters. I’d say it’s the only concession to its ancestors that’s actually a straight negative. Something they can fix for the third, I hope.

Wrong

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

There’s no way you’re going to change my mind on this but I’d love to hear your rationale.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Agreed that OT2 would be better without random encounters. At level 40 I should be able to walk to the job people in the overworld without being stopped by mooks. Even with the encounter rate reduction skill it's annoying

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

otter posted:

Is there anyone else in this thread who is excited about Nobunaga's Ambition Awakening?
I looked last night and there is no physical western release I can find so I bought an import copy.
I spent a lot of time at my Uncle's house when I was 11 trying to figure out the original NA / RotTK / BKoAC. So good when you get it figured out.

Always wondered about Nobunaga, never got into it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Giving the players full control over encounters isn't a perfect correct design decision in every occasion. Randoms means the player has to plan out their loadout for a trip how prepared they are to actually fight a certain amount instead of just hoping they can run around every other fight. It allows the game to expect the player to have actually done a certain amount of fights and not having to just hope you didn't skip a ton. It relieves the player of the opposite of that, having to decide on their own just how much they should grind, how should they know what the game expect of them, and having to run into fights on their own volition.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
That would be fine it the game just deleted enemies that are too low level to matter. Also you still have to guess about how much to grind regardless

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
games with random encounters are usually balanced with the encounter rate in mind so you never have to grind, unless it's a really old game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Looper posted:

games with random encounters are usually balanced with the encounter rate in mind so you never have to grind, unless it's a really old game

^^^^ this

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Octo 2 is not quite one of those. I tried to keep my 7 non-mandatory party members as equal as possible throughout and had to periodically run out to grind people up a few levels for the main quests, especially for their final chapters. It has a hell of a lot less grinding than your average PSX RPG or something but it's still there. The combat is fun enough that it wasn't horrible but I'd take those couple of hours back given the chance.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

beer gas canister posted:

Octo 2 is not quite one of those. I tried to keep my 7 non-mandatory party members as equal as possible throughout and had to periodically run out to grind people up a few levels for the main quests, especially for their final chapters. It has a hell of a lot less grinding than your average PSX RPG or something but it's still there. The combat is fun enough that it wasn't horrible but I'd take those couple of hours back given the chance.

I'm talking about the idea the concept is old fashioned and should be replaced in every game. I don't care about its implementation in Octopath 2 in particular.

But you are asking both for the ability to avoid more fights while also saying you needed to grind so????

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gear is far more important than levels in OT2, and there's plenty of ways to get better gear outside of combat thanks to Path Actions.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

elf help book posted:

Giving the players full control over encounters isn't a perfect correct design decision in every occasion. Randoms means the player has to plan out their loadout for a trip how prepared they are to actually fight a certain amount instead of just hoping they can run around every other fight. It allows the game to expect the player to have actually done a certain amount of fights and not having to just hope you didn't skip a ton. It relieves the player of the opposite of that, having to decide on their own just how much they should grind, how should they know what the game expect of them, and having to run into fights on their own volition.

This can be obviated by forced, but visible encounters. Also, bosses.

I have no tolerance for games that waste my time. the older I get the less time I have to play. This is also made worse by the fact that in the vast majority of JRPGs, random encounters are solvable speedbumps and that pretty much negates your point almost entirely.

I’ll make one exception, which is SMT Nocturne. Now that game’s random encounters were core to how it worked, but I’d say that’s a case of Atlus being especially clever working with an outmoded idea rather than an endorsement of same.

And SMTV has visible ones, of course, because it’s modern.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Always wondered about Nobunaga, never got into it

Embrace the rom. read the manual and watch a video and unite the nation.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I prefer random encounters over symbol encounters because with the latter I just end up getting tired of fighting and then it turns into learning how to slip past all the enemies which I don’t particularly find fun.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

beer gas canister posted:

That would be fine it the game just deleted enemies that are too low level to matter.
i have no idea why more RPGs don't go for the earthbound method of "gently caress it, you just win".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nep-Nep posted:

I prefer random encounters over symbol encounters because with the latter I just end up getting tired of fighting and then it turns into learning how to slip past all the enemies which I don’t particularly find fun.

But you find it fun to fight battles you just said your tired of

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol if you just don't put on a movie or an album to pay attention to while mindlessly grinding

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Random encounters aren't a waste of time, they're part of the point of classic jrpgs.

The best compromise is probably the system in Bravely Second where you can turn them off if you want, but that has the downside of making it easy to overextend knowing you can always safely make it back to town.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

symbolic posted:

lol if you just don't put on a movie or an album to pay attention to while mindlessly grinding

ftw

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

CharlestheHammer posted:

But you find it fun to fight battles you just said your tired of

Somehow that happens less often or less quickly for me with random encounters. Probably a combo of feeling like I didn't have as much of a choice with the combined tension particularly in older games of wondering if my resources are going to hold out.

All I know is I've played DQXI in 3d and 2d mode completely and 3d mode I would fight until I felt like I was strong enough for the next boss, then run past everything as much as possible. In 2d mode I just did all the fights.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Blaziken386 posted:

i have no idea why more RPGs don't go for the earthbound method of "gently caress it, you just win".

because they are not as good as Earthbound.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

symbolic posted:

I had a few teachers in high school that let me grind around on Pokemon Pearl/Soul Silver versions during class, because I could prove to them that I was still paying attention while doing so. :hellyeah:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

otter posted:

because they are not as good as Earthbound.

Little feel better than beating a boss and on your way of the dungeon having all the minions run away from you.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inzombiac posted:

Little feel better than beating a boss and on your way of the dungeon having all the minions run away from you.

Especially that first ant boss, poo poo I hated him, and seeing the ant minions run and getting pre-emptive strikes on all of them, making instant victory far easier to achieve, that was the stuff

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Mega64 who is this thread's Phoneotopia Champion pretty called it an ideal Zelda 2 and I'd agree. It's very good but it's a metroidvania in the way Zelda games are and it plays like Zelda 2 should've.

The real question is should I get Live A Live or OP2 first? I can always do more JRPGS, but I feel like OP2 being more modern I may have to adapt a bit much for Live a Live.
Live A Live is currently $30 on Aliexpress if that helps the decision, with the closest discount on Switch OT2 being $45. Of course IIRC you're European, so who knows if there's an equivalent sale over there.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This new bathtub track is an instant favorite

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I had no idea switch had the weirdest catalogue around, and apparently I should have.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/acl-pro-cornhole-switch/ That's right, you can roleply as a motion captured cornhole player because...I don't know?. I've heard of obscure sports to have videogames but the only other one I should have expected is apparently curling, and goddamn is the preview video for it perfect 90's bad ad campaign material. https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/lets-play-curling-switch/

Bingo?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Inzombiac posted:

Morpheus posted:

Especially that first ant boss, poo poo I hated him, and seeing the ant minions run and getting pre-emptive strikes on all of them, making instant victory far easier to achieve, that was the stuff
the first time i played earthbound and realized that the enemies ran away from you after defeating the area boss, not just because you overleveled them was such a :getin: moment

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

There was an RPG, I think it might've been Wild Arms 4, where in each area, you got random battles until you reached a specific point, where you received the ability to turn random battles on or off for that area permanently, and it was basically designed so that once you hit that point is when they'd start throwing in dungeon puzzles and backtracking stuff cause you didn't have to worry about constantly running into enemies.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Dragon Warrior on the gosh dang NES did that like 35 years ago but you still had to have the whole encounter, the critters just ran away immediately

It was awful but a modern game could do the identical thing but without wasting your time

A random battles overworld where low level things actually appear and scatter before you without slowing you down just to make you feel powerful and badass

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
To be clear on my earlier question, I'm not necessarily opposed to random battles! :kiddo: Pokemon has them, and I'm of course stoked as hell for the Dragon Quest 3 remake (WHERE IS IT, NINTENDO?! :argh:), I'm just not always in the mood for 'em, you know?

I didn't have the best day, so tonight I am self-caring with some hot herbal tea and some Mario Kart with my partner. :yeah:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Commander Keene posted:

Live A Live is currently $30 on Aliexpress if that helps the decision, with the closest discount on Switch OT2 being $45. Of course IIRC you're European, so who knows if there's an equivalent sale over there.

It’s $20 at play-Asia.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

Thank you Nintendo for a portable system so I can chill in the basement with it while a tornado watch is active

We just had a storm rip through and lost power for a little bit. The moment the TV shut off, my kid said "That's too bad" and pulled the Switch from the dock to continue playing. Didn't phase him in the slightest.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Willo567 posted:

The Yggdra Union remake is finally getting a global release on Switch July 27th
https://twitter.com/sting_pr/status/1679397299938824194

Localise Knights in the Nightmare, assholes >:(

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Solar Tornado posted:

Localise Knights in the Nightmare, assholes >:(

Tough sell to play that game without a DS. I hated the vita version

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

otter posted:

It’s $20 at play-Asia.

Well there you are! I assume that’s the European version? I wanted it physical too for that resale value.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just think in any RPG if you do a fight everybody would get the experience whether they're in your party or not, obviously except for something like Pokemon where you have dozens to hundreds of party members

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just bought Live a Live from Play Asia and a wicked Devilman t shirt, thanks goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Tough sell to play that game without a DS. I hated the vita version

Were they different games?