Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Sunk Dunk posted:

Has anyone here built the mclaren f1 technic? I’m a formula 1 fan but the car doesn’t exactly look like their car. It’s on sale and I’ve been thinking about getting it…

It’s last year’s car, it came out like right when they put out the new livery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Habibi posted:

Tallneck back up for $63 on Amazon.

E: also the Justifier for $102. Not my thing but I seem to recall people talking about it.

aaand they're gone.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Dogen posted:

It’s last year’s car, it came out like right when they put out the new livery.

I dunno it doesn’t even look like last years car lol

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Sunk Dunk posted:

Has anyone here built the mclaren f1 technic? I’m a formula 1 fan but the car doesn’t exactly look like their car. It’s on sale and I’ve been thinking about getting it…

Yeah I have it. I thought it was a great build and I'm not an f1 fan. The suspension was really, really cool. I've done the Ferrari Daytona and a couple other Technic cars and this one is at the top of my list for things I enjoyed doing. And it's a really cool display piece as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I picked up that Tallneck for £55, was meaning to get it since it is confirmed to be retiring this year anyway and £55 is better than £80

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Sunk Dunk posted:

I dunno it doesn’t even look like last years car lol

It’s the 2021 livery, but got released in 2022. It’s a ok build, I enjoyed it but if you put together any technic cars it is pretty much the same, not even a transmission. It does make a pretty good display piece though imo. Got it hanging on my wall.

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

It's pretty huge too. I built a generic technic F1 in the past, and the Mclaren Feels larger at least.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Flyinglemur posted:

Yeah I have it. I thought it was a great build and I'm not an f1 fan. The suspension was really, really cool. I've done the Ferrari Daytona and a couple other Technic cars and this one is at the top of my list for things I enjoyed doing. And it's a really cool display piece as well.

Seconding this, I have it displayed hanging on a wall and it looks pretty awesome.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
Anyone have advice for packing and moving builds without totally dismantling them?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

No experience, but I'd probably try to do like, a small degree of disassembly for stability/compactness sake (if something has easily detachable bits) and then try to shove what i can in big rear end ziplock bags so if poo poo does get loose, I at least will know what it goes to. I think I heard someone mention pillow cases for similar purposes. Alternatively, if you can get plastic containers big enough? Huge, unwieldy sets like Baracuda Bay or Starwars USC ships feel like they'd be a nightmare no matter what approach you take.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Fine. I’ll get the Tallneck.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

NinjaPete posted:

Anyone have advice for packing and moving builds without totally dismantling them?

I moved the fishing shack and the Saturn V, for both I broke them into smaller chunks that could fit in Ziploc bags as suggested above, then put them in boxes. This was easy with the Saturn V since it's built to come apart into smaller sections, this was a lot more work on the Fishing Shack, which was a bit of a nightmare to put back together properly, but they both made the trip without losing pieces.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NinjaPete posted:

I'd probably take pictures of it assembled so you can see where pieces went. Then remove anything that sticks out or comes off easily. Put those things in a bag and then I used towels to pack my sets when I moved. I put sets in the box and then filled the voids with towels or old shirts.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
The ziplock bags are a good idea I hadn't thought about. Thanks everyone!

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
i moved last year with (among others) Saturn, Lunar Module, ISS, A-Wing, some Architecture sets and some smaller sets. Also the Book Store.

Absoluetely 2nding putting everything in ziplocks or for the bigger stuff thin trashbags (thin is important). Also put some clingfilm around smaller sets (e.g: Architecture skyline sets) and then put them in bags.
Do not push the air out of the bags, let there be air to protect the pieces.
Put the bags in boxes, trash bags need to be tied off completely.
Pieces will get loose or break off. Don't worry about it, everything is bagged, nothing will get lost

When you unpack take your time! you want to make absolutely sure, that there are no pieces iin the bags left.
This is where thin trash bags come in handy, it's easier to feel if there is still a piece left. I rather double bagged with thin bags than use thicker bags.
Oh yeah, as said before, take pictures.

OR: disassemble everything, put it in a plastic box and on-pile ALL your sets at the new place. Moving is expensive and this will fulfill your lego need for a loooong time.

PS: the ISS did not survive completely, but every piece was easy to find.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've done several moves with the ziplocks and they work great. I've had a completely deconstructed Stranger Things set sitting on a shelf for 2 years, though, because I couldn't chunk it up and reassembling from a random pile of pieces is daunting. Do people try to sort the pieces or do they just go for it?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 12, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NinjaPete posted:

I moved 3 huge boxes of built star wars sets and just wrapped them in clothes and towels. I took off bits that would get knocked off and put them in bags. They all survived the move just fine but it was only across town and I made sure to be gentle with the boxes.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Has anyone built the Hocus Pocus house yet? I'm kind of a sucker for those kind of structures and the way the house is layered is reminding me of the Blacksmith shop, which I liked a lot.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Ended up getting the mclaren for 100 after the sale and vip points

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
What's the best way to get more space guys to fill in my galaxy explorer? Just bricklink?

Does kopf or anyone make them? I wouldn't mind having the zippered futuron/blacktron/space police/mtron/ice planet guys either

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Has anybody in the US seen that 1992 Batman polybag yet? I've been keeping an eye out for it, but haven't spotted it yet. That cowl piece is :krad: and isn't included in the forth coming Batmobile.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Beasteh posted:

Question for you all

What set was the most fun for you to build and display? What did you feel gave you the most value and was worth the purchase?

butthole tiger :colbert:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AFewBricksShy posted:

Seconding this, I have it displayed hanging on a wall and it looks pretty awesome.

I like how you put Ulysses in the shuttle

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Fatkraken posted:

butthole tiger :colbert:

I showed that set to my brother and he didn't believe the butthole was real until he saw it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Beasteh posted:

I showed that set to my brother and he didn't believe the butthole was real until he saw it

I had a friend over while it was still on display. He said nice tiger. I said that's the butthole tiger. He immediately turned it around and lifted the tail. Smart guy.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Beasteh posted:

Question for you all

What set was the most fun for you to build and display? What did you feel gave you the most value and was worth the purchase?

Tallneck.

Also Pirates of Barracuda Bay, Carrousel and Treehouse but those, while worth it, were pricey.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I saw people a page or two ago talking about getting Barracuda Bay — where are you finding it? It’s gone from the Lego store and it’s super pricey anywhere else that I’ve checked

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I saw people a page or two ago talking about getting Barracuda Bay — where are you finding it? It’s gone from the Lego store and it’s super pricey anywhere else that I’ve checked

I got it from bricklink - well I hope the dude ships it to me, never used bricklink before and I am kinda scared - and it was indeed super pricey :smith:

(well not really "super" considering inflation and the fact that it's a retired and sought after set... but still like 50% over MSRP when it was in stores. You want one, you gotta pay looks like :argh: )

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

trevorreznik posted:

What's the best way to get more space guys to fill in my galaxy explorer? Just bricklink?

Does kopf or anyone make them? I wouldn't mind having the zippered futuron/blacktron/space police/mtron/ice planet guys either

The only knockoff ones I've seen are a set of chrome ones by Pogo (set PG8091). There are some on aliexpress but the reviews suggest that the chrome might be easily damaged

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I just had Barracuda Bay delivered today, I ebayed it and vetted the seller to make sure it was new in box all bagged up with the instructions

Ended up paying £260 plus shipping

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
One day, when I have a house big enough to dedicate a room entirely to LEGO, I will build the Barracuda Bay and Ninjago City and Treehouse and god knows what other big GOAT-candidate sets I've picked up on discount in their pre-retirement (or price increase) promos and stashed in my garage for a glorious future day.

But until that day I enjoy them vicariously through your posts and occasional longing stares at the boxes.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yesterday I did my first order of parts, for Carbohydrates's Tiny House & Chevrolet C10: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-22021/Carbohydrates/tiny-house-chevrolet-c10/

Really excited to build it, was able to get the parts in 3 orders for about $70, which is reasonable for 648 pieces. Thanks for your work Carbs! I replaced a couple of the brick red pieces with brown because they were cheaper, and the hitch thing that was black was much cheaper in yellow and since it didn't seem to be visible based on the PDF build steps I did that too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

My order has moved a total of 30 kilometers since being "shipped" two days ago :argh:.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Beasteh posted:

Question for you all

Both the big Monkie Kid mechs are great as display pieces.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
shouts out to Carbohydrates

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

This is the sound of me discovering the Lego thread, reading the last 3 pages, and immediately buying the updated Galaxy Explorer. Then making plans to build my original one to display alongside it, believing I have all the original pieces (but I'm not entirely sure).

I saved all my 70's and 80's Lego for my future kid, only to have a daughter who was entirely disinterested in them beyond building a wall as a toddler. I think it's time to do something with them again, especially knowing I can buy any missing or broken pieces I need, right?

It's definitely not a good idea for me to go and read back farther.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yes, you might find out about Barracuda Bay, and that would be terrible.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Sunk Dunk posted:

shouts out to Carbohydrates

oh hell yeah swap the 4x4 dish at the top for the 3x3 dish at the bottom tho

ANYWAY I'm making a van because I've never made a van, and I haven't made a sand blue car yet either! It's a '69 Dodge A100.

The question is, what should it be hauling in the back? It's wide open back there, and though it would be hard to see through the windows, it might be fun to have some kind of easter egg back there for shows and events (so please don't recommend "nazi cocaine" for instance). Space is about 4 x 6 studs by 9 plates tall.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Carbohydrates posted:

ANYWAY I'm making a van because I've never made a van, and I haven't made a sand blue car yet either! It's a '69 Dodge A100.

The question is, what should it be hauling in the back? It's wide open back there, and though it would be hard to see through the windows, it might be fun to have some kind of easter egg back there for shows and events (so please don't recommend "nazi cocaine" for instance). Space is about 4 x 6 studs by 9 plates tall.

Looks awesome, but for a 1969 van I'd have it in a more vibrant color (or colors), maybe a bright green or something. Sand blue is kinda pretty though.

As for what to put in the back, maybe some tiny band equipment? Surfboards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

boxen posted:

Looks awesome, but for a 1969 van I'd have it in a more vibrant color (or colors), maybe a bright green or something. Sand blue is kinda pretty though.

As for what to put in the back, maybe some tiny band equipment? Surfboards?
I knowwww I just got really stoked to finally have a car possible to build in sand blue. I'll experiment some, I suppose.