Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Where. Are. The. Aunty. Donna. Boys.

They've only started with people from The Project, so you'll have to wait for 3-5 series more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Where. Are. The. Aunty. Donna. Boys.

I'm not sure if I could process seeing Broaden Kelly act like, well, Broden Kelly, and not some kind of cartoon man come to life.

I'd half expect him to stomp across the room, brow furrowed, and chuck the Alex-equivalent into a plant (which after a camera cut would turn into a large ragdoll of course)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Paladinus posted:

They've only started with people from The Project, so you'll have to wait for 3-5 series more.

How long will it take for one of the Do Go On hosts to get on there?

I’m guessing forever

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Can someone do a brief intro to who the Aus contestants are? (What they known for/persona/style of comedy)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Snowy posted:

How long will it take for one of the Do Go On hosts to get on there?

I’m guessing forever

I mean, you can't have a geriatric ancient and slightly confused man on there, and a virgin absolutely not. Jessica is probably very busy anyway

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Can someone do a brief intro to who the Aus contestants are? (What they known for/persona/style of comedy)
This comment on Reddit is a good summary, with links to work from each contestant and a comparison to previous UK TM contestants.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Put Demi Lardner on Aussie TM!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Peter Helliar is the only Australian contestant I recognize. He's a somewhat mainstream but low-tier celebrity in Australia and the others appear to be people you need to be into the comedy scene to know. I've never found his actual comedy to be that great, just very standard stuff. Take a look and imagine what his comedy is like and you're probably right. But he's happy to be self-depreciating and is able to just roll with whatever is happening so he has potential for sure.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Phigs posted:

Peter Helliar is the only Australian contestant I recognize. He's a somewhat mainstream but low-tier celebrity in Australia and the others appear to be people you need to be into the comedy scene to know. I've never found his actual comedy to be that great, just very standard stuff. Take a look and imagine what his comedy is like and you're probably right. But he's happy to be self-depreciating and is able to just roll with whatever is happening so he has potential for sure.

I’ve never liked him, even back in the Rove Live days, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Julia Morris always gave me the shits as well, but turned out to be brilliant on TM.

If Dave Hughes or Wil Anderson showed up on TM however I’d have to really force myself to watch it. They’re unsalvageable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect we'll see Hamish soon enough.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Yes. The best series tend to be the one's where the show gets an almost 'summer camp' energy by the end of it. See Series 13 where it ends with them all doing Bridget's goofy dance in a circle together. Or TMNZ S2 where the cast did a bunch of things afterwards together.

I think it really makes the banter more engaging, and just the spirit of the show better because Greg can lean in on being the villain/school master. It's better when it's all of them against him, rather than a bunch of individuals against eachother.

I've not seen it past the Herring season because it was so flat that it made me stop watching, like I was tired of the format at that point.
You can always tell a bad series because Greg reads out from his card saying "I wrote down..." for like half of every episode, because nothing natural happens

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Creature posted:

If Dave Hughes or Wil Anderson showed up on TM however I’d have to really force myself to watch it. They’re unsalvageable.
There's so many good aussie comedians it's a shame outside abc none of the good ones seem to make it to TV anymore.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Does anyone know how many tasks they actually film? I always assume the ones used for tiebreaks are ones that were a bit boring but they weren't specifically picked as tiebreaks before

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Taear posted:

Does anyone know how many tasks they actually film? I always assume the ones used for tiebreaks are ones that were a bit boring but they weren't specifically picked as tiebreaks before

It was be very weird if singing "I won this tiebreak" was not meant to be a tiebreak.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

They specifically film tiebreakers meant to be tiebreakers, but sometimes some one does something so crazy it gets turned into a regular bit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tiebreakers are explicitly designed to be short, they had one on NZ where they messed up and forgot to add a limit so it had to be turned into a regular task because people got inventive.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

oh jay posted:

It was be very weird if singing "I won this tiebreak" was not meant to be a tiebreak.

Never seen them do it, they just look surprised when they see the tiebreak tasks up to now when I'm watching it

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Surprised in the studio? They may have filmed a couple and don't remember doing a particular one 6-8 months before.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They film them doing about a lot more tasks than we get to see in the end.
10 shows, 4 tasks filmed, 40 tasks out of 50/60/70 they would get them to do.
LITTLE ALEX HORN mentioned it somewhere they do more.

I wish they would bring back the 'only one of you did this lovely task' surprise.
Those were great.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

happyhippy posted:

I wish they would bring back the 'only one of you did this lovely task' surprise.
Those were great.

SOMETIMES it felt like the person was genuinely really loving mad
I know of course it's acting, but it could be a little uncomfortable

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taear posted:

SOMETIMES it felt like the person was genuinely really loving mad
I know of course it's acting, but it could be a little uncomfortable

The Mark Watson one was a wee bit too far.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"You mean I was the only one who kept this up my bum for an entire MONTH!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"I thought it was an extra weird prize task!"

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 16, 2023

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Wozniak being made to fart lol

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kaiho posted:

Wozniak being made to fart lol

"fart"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
An absolute casserole.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
more info on foodmaster, looks like Ed Gamble's set to start his ascension as taskmaster.

I like Ed and hearing Ed talk about food but this show's still a bit of a hard sell for me. Time will tell, I guess.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"joined by five celebrities" -- i do wonder if it's actually maintaining the format where they hang around for a full series or if they're going to have five new people every week

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably keeping a similar format to regular Taskmaster but maybe slightly shorter runs, like 6 episodes instead of 10 or something. If it gets picked up obviously. Maybe they'll use it as a way to get old contestants back on, Alex Horne said he doesn't want to do a loser of losers cause he wants them to still be slightly trying to win the main show but having a spinoff show that's pretty different could work. Have a mix of new folks and some old favourites.

Ed Gamble as the host makes sense, he's grabbed onto the Taskmaster adjacent stuff role with both hands and he's enjoyable enough.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 17, 2023

Lemon
May 22, 2003

People are going to be watching his scoring like a hawk after all the times he's brought up Greg's on the podcast.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Taear posted:

I've not seen it past the Herring season because it was so flat that it made me stop watching, like I was tired of the format at that point.
You can always tell a bad series because Greg reads out from his card saying "I wrote down..." for like half of every episode, because nothing natural happens

Herring's season is one of the harder ones, yeah. Fwiw, 11, 14, and 15 are really solid seasons. S13 was among the best the shows done. 12 was the only lukewarm of the recent series.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
12 was great, though? Victoria alone is well worth the price of admission. I feel 11 was a bit on the weak side myself, even though I like Mike Wozniak very very much.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 18, 2023

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I agree with 12 as the weakest of the last five seasons. I can remember maybe four things total that even happened on that entire season, and it's the only time since season 6 I think I was ever bored watching taskmaster.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Leraika posted:

12 was great, though? Victoria alone is well worth the price of admission. I feel 11 was a bit on the weak side myself, even though I like Mike Wozniak very very much.

im with you on this as far as 12 goes-- id need to think a bit about 11. As far as 12 goes, well, as Ive said here before, I immediately fell head over heels for Victoria.

It's interesting how much different seasons play to different tastes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
12 was my favorite of the recent ones (everyone loves Victoria, but in my opinion the unsung hero of that one was Guz Khan and his attempts to intimidate Alex), but for some reasons 13 never really clicked with me. I thought Sophie Duker fit the whole "competent but boring contestant" type way more than Mae did.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think that Duker was weird enough to be funny. Like Greg said when the task was to surprise him: "I'm surprised, but not surprised that Sophie Duker bought an entire can of worms"-

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I thought she was a bit low key. I can't really remember her doing anything where I wondered what the gently caress she was thinking or where we saw her fail miserably. She was mixed in with some real crazies though so I don't think it mattered much that season.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Has there ever been a "bad" season of Taskmaster (UK only, I'm trying to forget the US one existed)? Everyone seems to have a season that "isn't great", but I don't think there's ever been a truly awful, unwatchable season. There's still great moments even in the seasons people don't like.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Has there ever been a "bad" season of Taskmaster (UK only, I'm trying to forget the US one existed)? Everyone seems to have a season that "isn't great", but I don't think there's ever been a truly awful, unwatchable season. There's still great moments even in the seasons people don't like.

6 seems to be the consensus for 'worst' season (and lots of people are down on 10, which I actually like pretty well), but even then I never thought 'I should stop watching this.' I just kept hoping it would get a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'm watching series 13 now and Sophie Duker seems great so far. I'm surprised the thread loved Victoria in series 12 so much, she just came off as pompous to me. This thread made me learn that she's married to David Mitchell though and that makes a tonne of sense.