Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i guess the bit where a guy tries to kill you with the pistol from doom is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Colonel posted:

i would be very confused about what there is to like about goemon 3 or 4

I liked the side scrolling sections and the mecha bosses in 3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the mecha bosses were okay but i felt like the robots and mazelike level design really dragged down both the side scrolling and top down overworld sections of 3, just too much tedious running back and forth and jumping in and out of them and trying to figure out what the game ever wants you to do with them. the first n64 game was kinda obtuse at times too but it was never as confusing just trying to figure out what it wanted you to do

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

The Colonel posted:

the mecha bosses were okay but i felt like the robots and mazelike level design really dragged down both the side scrolling and top down overworld sections of 3, just too much tedious running back and forth and jumping in and out of them and trying to figure out what the game ever wants you to do with them. the first n64 game was kinda obtuse at times too but it was never as confusing just trying to figure out what it wanted you to do

I can understand that. Thinking about it now I do remember having to go back and forth in some of the side scrolling stages in 3

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is this the series with a fixation on jokes about crossdressing men or am I dreaming this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh yeah like 80% of the jokes in the later snes goemon games are either "this man gay!", "this man gay and dressed as woman!" or "this woman transgender!"

people got mad at the translator on the goemon 3 tl patch over one of those jokes and it's like. yeah the guy is kinda stupid and i dont love his work but you cant blame him for the game being written like a really bad 90s gag manga

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

The Colonel posted:

oh yeah like 80% of the jokes in the later snes goemon games are either "this man gay!", "this man gay and dressed as woman!" or "this woman transgender!"

yeah, goemon doesn't need to come back, especially with poo poo like this. the whole joke in the first N64 game with the villain was "lol he gay"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am glad the year of the srpg (2) is going strong with the release of jagged alliance 3 tomorrow

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
once i beat fft i think i'm going to try finally actually playing molmorth. either after that or if i dont stick to it i'm gonna play disgaea 2 finally

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

disposablewords posted:

There seems to be both a Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded and a Touhou Genso Wanderer -Lotus Labyrinth R- on Nintendo Dot Com's online store, with English and Japanese releases.
those games arent whats being referred to. labyrinth of touhou is literally a game called Labyrinth of Touhou, and is an etrian odyssey/wizardry-esque game. genso wanderer is a shiren the wanderer riff.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

also, sorry Colonel but i have bad news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpA8YHzoInY
wonder if it will be as tasteless as the goemon game's jokes were

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 13, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

people got mad at the translator on the goemon 3 tl patch over one of those jokes and it's like. yeah the guy is kinda stupid and i dont love his work but you cant blame him for the game being written like a really bad 90s gag manga
people remember the goemon games as funny largely because the ones we got in the west were the ones that had something resembling jokes

also the n64 censorship kind of made the jokes funnier. a space alien whos just really obsessed with dancing is way funnier than The Gay Alien

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

speaking of konami, I wish someone would translate the good version of the first tokimwki memorial game (PS1 or Saturn). why would you translate the worst version of it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

people remember the goemon games as funny largely because the ones we got in the west were the ones that had something resembling jokes

also the n64 censorship kind of made the jokes funnier. a space alien whos just really obsessed with dancing is way funnier than The Gay Alien

it's insane how much funnier the old inventor guy is when his joke is changed from "loves ero mags" to "loves muscle car mags"

Willo567 posted:

speaking of konami, I wish someone would translate the good version of the first tokimwki memorial game (PS1 or Saturn). why would you translate the worst version of it

it's hard to explain the decisions of someone who choses to rename it to Heartthrob Memorial

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh, ironically this tweet is in japanese but

https://twitter.com/sting_pr/status/1679397299938824194

the eng version of yggdra union hd is coming to switch on the 27th

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The first Goemon on N64 basically got me into japanese culture entirely so what can I say I have a very soft spot in my heart for it

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

the eng version of yggdra union hd is coming to switch on the 27th

Steam as well
It's already on Steam as early access, but it will be officially released then, and the price will go up.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 13, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That PS1 Goemon game that was the equivalent of the WB Lunatics project was real bad

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
what was your first JRPG crush?

in the interest of fairness, for me it was Rise from P4.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
holly in monster rancher

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Junpei posted:

Nei

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Junpei posted:

Flannery from Pokemon Ruby I think.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Junpei posted:

I'm old so Tifa.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Junpei posted:

The first character I was really down bad for? Maybe Feena in Grandia?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

I'm old so Tifa.

Pretty much.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Wakka's (and everyone's) favorite BTGG, Lulu.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

Probably Aerith, and it was before I knew what a lesbian even was. I was very mad when I got spoiled via the official guide to the plot.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
in phoneix wright you are "role playing as a lawyer" so my answer is ema skye

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Junpei posted:

Flannery

also yes, pokemon is, in fact, a jrpg,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

louise in fe7

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Still chipping away at Bravely Default the First One, and lol how does Red Mage just automatically get Revenge? This skill has bailed me out of multiple boss battles, like sure I'll take an extra round of healing just because you hit me once, fair's fair.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Bravely Default is maybe the strongest Red Mage has ever been. I love it; it's so bullshit.

Junpei posted:

I'm another oldie, so Rena from Star Ocean 2.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 14, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Junpei posted:

Monica from Dark Chronicle.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

Junpei posted:

I've heard people argue that the buster parts system in Mega Man Legends is an RPG system, so Roll Caskett.

But if you don't want to go there, then Lyn in Fire Emblem, but honorable mention to Summon Night Swordcraft Story for activating my yuri brain.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh this is real, except for me it was Lana

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
here i was thinking xenoblade 1's collectathon wasn't quite as bad as i remembered and then unlocked the colony 6 reconstruction and it all came flooding back

apparently rainbow slugs are purchasable now? definitely going that route, i think my kos-mos pull used up all the remaining xeno-luck i have

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I bet Lorne Lanning would think that was funny

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Abe's Oddysee is pretty good, to be fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Willo567 posted:

From what I understand the way it does text is an absolute horror show which is why no one has managed to do it yet?

I remember hearing that somewhere at least