Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you seriously can't think of anyone you know, including yourself, that might want some work to be done, that could have a name on it.

seriously? like i can do this for you if you want but cmon we're gonna need you to meet us halfway here

what is your specialty? i will come up with some work for you. my charge for this will be exactly the cost of work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You're spending some time researching stuff to keep your skills up, right? You can tell people you were doing/looking for contracting work in that domain. Hell, found an LLC if you want to make it look official. You don't necessarily have to have found clients; plenty of small businesses fizzle out after an indeterminate amount of time.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just lie.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you don't need an LLC, that's why i said to get a dba. an llc is completely unnecessary overhead that only has benefits if you're doing significant business. a dba name will satisfy everything you want until you actually need to start limiting your personal liability.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Gildiss posted:

Just lie.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no, don't lie. it's literally less work to do the actual thing

y'all are being weird as hell. just do the normal person thing instead of lying for literally no good reason

oy ve

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
get the dba or llc and say you did business w/o lying

you dont have to mention how many customers you had (0)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

see bdid gets it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We hired a guy a couple jobs ago I asked him why he hadn't worked for the last year and he mumbled something about "i tried writing computer games it didn't work out" I didn't push on it any further. I was luke warm on the guy at best we still hired him. This was in the good old days of free money though.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
If it's just a resume gap (not income) that you're worried about and you don't want to mess around with small business stuff you could consider seeing if there's any open source libs you like using that might have an issue or two that make sense to you. "I took some time to give back to the community and worked on x" doesn't look like a gap it looks like passion and balance.

Personally I'd just do a bit of incredibly small time contracting but I know a few academics that always seem to be struggling with problems that have incredibly simple automation solutions (they're not compsci). Hell years back a friend of mine wrote another friend a script to organise his NAS, you can "bill" poo poo like that for a sixpack and write it up.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I did interview one guy who's resume said he'd been working on developing an IoT device for 2.5 years. The response: "Oh wow, did that really take 2.5 years? Yeah, I guess it did. I dunno, it just never really worked out" is not a good tactic.

"I wanted to take some time off without fully stopping, so I did IT work for charities / open source work / independent research" is ok.

The dba is probably important because companies do background checks, but I'm not directly involved there so idk

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

cum jabbar posted:

poo poo's terrible right now. Got laid off 6 weeks ago and I've only managed 3 phone screens after 150 applications. Two years ago, I was turning down interviews because I had too many!
Recruiters are tightening up who they spend time talking to.

It's a problem with your resume, not the market

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pie Colony posted:

It's a problem with your resume, not the market

Yeah unfortunately it's this, sorry

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

cum jabbar posted:

poo poo's terrible right now. Got laid off 6 weeks ago and I've only managed 3 phone screens after 150 applications. Two years ago, I was turning down interviews because I had too many!
Recruiters are tightening up who they spend time talking to.

edit: the place I'm at isn't the best so I'm torn: on the one hand I want to let you know about openings they have but on the other hand it's not the best place to work for so :shrug:

edit^2: here use this and you can see all the different companies' "internal" public hiring sites, because workday is so ubiquitous https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwd1.myworkdaysite.com+software+engineer&t=ffab&ia=web and just add whatever key words you care about

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 14, 2023

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

StumblyWumbly posted:

I did interview one guy who's resume said he'd been working on developing an IoT device for 2.5 years. The response: "Oh wow, did that really take 2.5 years? Yeah, I guess it did. I dunno, it just never really worked out" is not a good tactic.

"I wanted to take some time off without fully stopping, so I did IT work for charities / open source work / independent research" is ok.

The dba is probably important because companies do background checks, but I'm not directly involved there so idk

yeah whatever it is how you talk about it (the bit the interviewer experiences) is more important than whatever you actually did

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's not great news since the manager whose hobby it was to make his team look good at the expense of mine just got promoted to director at my job and I'm starting to feel for a way out.

Is your team under him now? If he continues to make his subordinates look good at the expense of his peers subordinates then doesn't that mean he won't be throwing your team under the bus anymore but instead some other larger team?

E: has anyone actually done contract work and turned that into a larger software development consulting business? Do businesses that can afford that actually have short enough sales cycles and few enough decision-makers that you can get their business without a dedicated enterprise sales team?

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 14, 2023

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Wetting your beak on some small stuff has certainly gotten me larger stuff and perm positions at shops small and multinational $1b enterprise both, but not enough to parlay into anything more than a solo consultancy. Capital, motivation, luck are all things that need to be hanging around you in abundance I should think.
I sure don’t want to manage payroll or even manage someone managing it for me.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Just got a bunch of emails about Jira hygiene, to auto-cancel/close a bunch of old tech debt tickets linked to an inactive Jira epic. We backlogged them but they were deprioritized and the team was re-org'd so we lost ownership of the components. Future owners will have to rediscover all of this on their own.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Ineffectual bug bankruptcy THWARTED!

I wish we did something with our untriaged backlogs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Why don't we just close all of our tickets that haven't been updated in the last six months? The director doesn't like how many open issues we have." --every manager, seemingly

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Guy in charge of Jira at my company explaining their fake agile process to me: We use these tools to keep track of what's happening in our teams and to be able to consistently deliver high quality software at a high velocity

Peer developer my first day on a team: Okay so here's all the time wasting bullshit we have to do to juke the Jira stats

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I keep all sorts of stats both in Jira and outside of it because they look very impressive. I quickly scroll through the pretty graphs and gesture at them like they mean something, the CTO nods sagely, and we move on.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Got laid off Monday, semi saw it coming a couple weeks ago given how little work my new team lead had me doing, but made him meet with me and he said I was funded for 2-3 months.

Anyways I got my resume updated, and they're paying me for another 2 weeks. At what point do I need to update my resume to list the job I was laid off from as "current"? Should I list that my job ended or just list it as current until they stop paying or beyond that.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd list it as ended immediately so they know you're ready to start working without a need to leave notice

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
As much as I hate it, I've been tasked with sourcing additional help for our team via a contracting site (e.g., Upwork). I asked and no, another full-time employee is not an option because management doesn't think we need 40 hours a week of help. Just 20 or so. :negative:

Anyway, does anyone have experience doing this? Any pro tips on how I should configure the job posting so as to minimize the chance I end up churning through several contractors before finding someone competent?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Whenever I did contact work I worked through Tek Systems, and I actually had a good experience with them. Probably costs more than Upwork, which always seemed to me like a race to the bottom.

I don’t have a lot of experience on the hiring side, but on the supervising side my little experience says to be prepared to do a lot more supervising than you expect, like daily checkins and very detailed ticket writing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lohika (lohika.com) specializes in fixing fuckups engendered by hosed up outsourcing, btw. partly ukrainian firm but their operations havent been affected too much by the war

i dont have suggestions for the initial loving up

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 15, 2023

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

lifg posted:

I don’t have a lot of experience on the hiring side, but on the supervising side my little experience says to be prepared to do a lot more supervising than you expect, like daily checkins and very detailed ticket writing.
Oh great, very excited to have this eat 20 hours a week of my time via needing to micromanage resulting in no net gains in productivity lol

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I advance to the next round, the full day of interviews.

The hiring manager has let me know there is another "quite strong" candidate. :ohdear:

(I already knew this other candidate existed, but it is interesting to hear it from official channels. This is the reason they've been scheduling my interviews so quickly.)

Itaipava
Jun 24, 2007

ryanrs posted:

The hiring manager has let me know there is another "quite strong" candidate. :ohdear:

Lol nice rear end in a top hat move telling you that

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Itaipava posted:

Lol nice rear end in a top hat move telling you that

Maybe, or maybe it's a professional warning to not stop sending resumes to other places. Hard to tell second-hand.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The hiring manager said that if he couldn't get me into this role, he'd help me find something else at the company. So that sounds very positive.

Also, I don't mind the thrill of the hunt. I know about this other candidate, but does he know about me? I think the company held back his offer letter to get my interviews in first, heh.

Itaipava
Jun 24, 2007
I feel like there's no good reason to actively tell OP "you might not get it" and still keep them in the process. My cynical view sees this as some pre-conditioning before offer time at best, but well. I hope I'm wrong!

Itaipava
Jun 24, 2007

ryanrs posted:

The hiring manager said that if he couldn't get me into this role, he'd help me find something else at the company. So that sounds very positive.

Personally I think the manager is signaling that the decision has already been made but I agree that this offer is positive.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Well assuming they make the right choice to shitcan the other candidate and hire me instead, the talk will immediately turn to compensation.

Any number within the role's salary band would be a big step up for me. So I guess what I really care about is how much PTO I will have for my offroad minivan expeditions. I'd love to do 2-3 trips a year, 1-3 weeks each. Usually I do a big desert trip over Christmas / New Years.

I'm not sure if I even have a question, exactly. How should I be thinking about this?

e: They significantly bumped the salary range on the job posting. They must have changed it in the last day or two. So, uh, everything I said before, but more so.

e2: Apparently PTO policy is rigid at this company and not subject to negotiation.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 17, 2023

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's the resume that has famously gotten me no real interviews in over a month of vigorous jobseeking. This version has name/location details redacted (and has been de-formatted for Google Docs reasons)

I thought a CS degree with varied experience would be a sure win. What's wrong with the resume, oldie programmers? How can I change this to get me interviews?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Is that also reformatted from being tossed into google docs? Because my first thought when seeing it is "uhhh, I am not reading that undifferentiated wall of text".

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good point. Let me fix it up a bit...

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spiritual bypass posted:

Here's the resume that has famously gotten me no real interviews in over a month of vigorous jobseeking

This now has better headings for readability. Any feedback helps; god bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

spiritual bypass posted:

This now has better headings for readability. Any feedback helps; god bless

What type of roles are you applying for with this resume? Not clear to me if you’re trying for IC or another management position