Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Guy comes into this sub and asked how to buy Sears stock.

Should have sent a poet.

There are lots of angles here, and they're all obtuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Guy comes into this sub and asked how to buy Sears stock.

Should have sent a poet.

That last reply is two syllables away from being a haiku.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/former-celsius-ceo-arrested-company-agrees-to-pay-4point7-billion-settlement.html

Federal prosecutors unveiled seven charges against former Celsius CEO Alex Mashinsky and a key executive, Roni Cohen-Pavon, alleging fraud and securities manipulation.

The SEC announced concurrent charges against Mashinsky and the bankrupt crypto exchange.

The FTC also announced a $4.7 billion settlement against the exchange, which will not be paid until creditors and investors have been repaid in bankruptcy proceedings.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zero One posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/former-celsius-ceo-arrested-company-agrees-to-pay-4point7-billion-settlement.html

Federal prosecutors unveiled seven charges against former Celsius CEO Alex Mashinsky and a key executive, Roni Cohen-Pavon, alleging fraud and securities manipulation.

The SEC announced concurrent charges against Mashinsky and the bankrupt crypto exchange.

The FTC also announced a $4.7 billion settlement against the exchange, which will not be paid until creditors and investors have been repaid in bankruptcy proceedings.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Now THIS is GREAT for BITCON

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Porfiriato posted:

https://twitter.com/DMTCapital/status/1679381374355243008

The context here is that people are apparently strolling across the border from China into Hong Kong with literal sacks of cash from who-knows-where* and buying crypto at huge buy-sell spreads (note that there's almost $1,000 difference between the buy and sell price on Bitcoin).

* - China does what it can to try to limit the flow of capital out of its borders, so in the best case scenario these are people with legitimate CNY earnings trying to evade capital controls, worst case are corrupt businessmen/officials trying to smuggle their ill-gotten gains out of the country via BTC.

The previous very popular way they were parking money outside of China was to buy up property in Vancouver. This was a problem because they weren't occupying or even renting the property, so you'd have neighborhoods of multimillion dollar houses (that were previously not that expensive) that were just decrepit and falling apart, because they were owned by an overseas investor who just wanted the high value land.

So this is a strict improvement over that situation, at least.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Not just Vancouver. Australia and New Zealand also has had this phenomenon occur.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Didn't BC (Or Canada as a whole?) implement restrictions on foreign ownership of property specifically because of that?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Look at these dumb rubes and more rubes clapping for them:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7085235542635761664

crypto maximalist posted:

If you are promoting Central Bank Digital Currencies, aka #CBDC or #CBDCs, consider this historical fact pattern:

On June 4, 1963, #ExecutiveOrder11110, was signed by #JFK with the intention to strip the #FederalReserve of its power to loan money to the US Government with #interest. https://lnkd.in/ewGfFf7V

When #JFK signed this Order, it returned to the US Treasury Department, the Constitutional power to create and issue currency without going through the Fed. READ THAT AGAIN.

-snip-

#JFK challenged the two most successful vehicles that have ever been used to drive up debt: 1) war, and, 2) the creation of money by a privately owned central bank.

Could the withdrawal of all US troops from Vietnam by 1965 combined with #EO11110 have destroyed the profits and control of the private #FederalReserveBank?

Would the introduction of #CBDCs contain functionality that imposes control over citizens? Think about it. #Bitcoin #PeerToPeer

Do you think #Satoshi would want her/his/they identity revealed?

Not that the hashtags are bad enough, but the replies are too. This is exactly in line with the post I had earlier about twitter with the whole "evil government!" rah rah!. They even manage to reference RFK, as if RFK is anything other than an extremely loud idiot by now.

I have tons of emails about this and being scared about banks and how you're totally going to regret holding money in banks! Better get gold! etc.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Look at these dumb rubes and more rubes clapping for them:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7085235542635761664

Not that the hashtags are bad enough, but the replies are too. This is exactly in line with the post I had earlier about twitter with the whole "evil government!" rah rah!. They even manage to reference RFK, as if RFK is anything other than an extremely loud idiot by now.

I have tons of emails about this and being scared about banks and how you're totally going to regret holding money in banks! Better get gold! etc.

If these idiots think that the president who was so anti-communist that he decided to give the Bay of Pigs fiasco a shot and also nearly caused the end of the world with nuclear brinksmanship was actually going to pull out of Vietnam by 1965, they've got terminal boomer-brain and can be safely ignored.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
As the documentary Red Dwarf showed, the future should JFK had not died that day was so terrible that JFK himself travelled back in time to be the second sniper on the grassy knoll.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
And I guess after all this, market pumps on:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/xrp-surges-after-judge-delivers-a-huge-win-to-ripple-in-its-case-against-the-sec.html

"Ripple not a security" is how it's being covered in the news.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

And I guess after all this, market pumps on:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/xrp-surges-after-judge-delivers-a-huge-win-to-ripple-in-its-case-against-the-sec.html

"Ripple not a security" is how it's being covered in the news.

the meat is on pages 22 and 23 and it is a pants on head bizzare ruling that finds XRP was an unlawful security offering when sold to institutional investors but was not an unlawful security offering when sold to the general public via anonymous cryptocurrency exchanges.

The judge's reasoning seems to be that the third prong of the howey test, "expectation of profit from the effort of others" wasn't met in that circumstance because crypto buyers are too unsophisticated to understand that Ripple's marketing and hype would be the key factor driving the price of magic beans.

Which is astounding since "rubes are too stupid to understand how any of this poo poo works" is the underlying motivation behind all security regulation

The appeals on this one are gonna be fuckin lit

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Ugh, my xrp investing boss is going to be insufferable tomorrow.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Didn't BC (Or Canada as a whole?) implement restrictions on foreign ownership of property specifically because of that?

Not so much restrictions as they just dumped a bunch of taxes on properties that were not actively being lived in.

Suspiciously, even that was only implemented grudgingly after it was revealed that people in the higher ranks of Canadian government owned a lot of the properties being bought with foreign money at huge markups. :iiam:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Lol jfk wasn't pulling out of Vietnam in 1965 lollllll wtf man.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

the meat is on pages 22 and 23 and it is a pants on head bizzare ruling that finds XRP was an unlawful security offering when sold to institutional investors but was not an unlawful security offering when sold to the general public via anonymous cryptocurrency exchanges.

The judge's reasoning seems to be that the third prong of the howey test, "expectation of profit from the effort of others" wasn't met in that circumstance because crypto buyers are too unsophisticated to understand that Ripple's marketing and hype would be the key factor driving the price of magic beans.

Which is astounding since "rubes are too stupid to understand how any of this poo poo works" is the underlying motivation behind all security regulation

The appeals on this one are gonna be fuckin lit

the court posted:

Having considered the economic reality of the Programmatic Sales, the Court concludes that the undisputed record does not establish the third Howey prong. Whereas the Institutional Buyers reasonably expected that Ripple would use the capital it received from its sales to improve the XRP ecosystem and thereby increase the price of XRP, see Kik, 492 F. Supp. 3d at 180; cf. supra § II.B.1, Programmatic Buyers could not reasonably expect the same. Indeed, Ripple’s Programmatic Sales were blind bid/ask transactions, and Programmatic Buyers could not have known if their payments of money went to Ripple, or any other seller of XRP

This seems like a weird take. Only the initial offering of a security is a security? At some point later, it turns into something else. Though, the court doesnt actually say secondary sales are not securities - just that they are not investment contracts (which is what the howey test is for).

No one buys shares of Apple because they think the money is going to Apple. They buy it because they think it is going to increase in value. (and yes, I realize shares of apple are not an investment contract)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Neito posted:

TBF Sears died because they got bought by a corporate raider who's been intentionally destroying the company from his gated island compound in Florida.

destroying the company while running the sears atlas shrugged hunger games

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

BUG JUG posted:

Lol jfk wasn't pulling out of Vietnam in 1965 lollllll wtf man.

"JFK" and "pulling out" do not belong in the same sentence.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1677202901046026240?s=20

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Yes

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
These guys are one step away from divination using chicken entrails.

https://twitter.com/kaismaalej/status/1676330585202016257

quote:

Since the bankruptcy filing, investors have spent almost $200 million trading “theoretically worthless” shares, the Financial Times reports.

lol

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

These guys are one step away from divination using chicken entrails.

https://twitter.com/kaismaalej/status/1676330585202016257

lol

So based on the XRP ruling, does this mean that BBBY *isn't* a security because people are that stupid?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Dead stocks find new life as a legal alternative pseudocurrency that people are hoping to manipulate, a shockingly good fit for the butt thread

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/nickong1205/status/1679600707274416128/photo/1

lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So based on the XRP ruling, does this mean that BBBY *isn't* a security because people are that stupid?

Well it's pretty close to "not a security", anyhow

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Well, everyone knows that Amazon is a better company than BBBY. What this post presupposes is... maybe it's not.

Some BBBY ape posted:

A lot of FUDsters say that Bed Bath can't compete with Amazon and Wayfair, but when you look at the financials, BBBY might actually be in a better position. Amazon, as far as it overlaps with BBBY, is difficult to directly compare, but when you look at which parts of Amazon are most profitable or in many cases profitable at all, it is the AWS.

Looking at Wayfair, they lost money 4 out of 5 years, and their liabilities are almost double their assets. Does that merit a 8.1B market cap? Using that same market cap to revenue ratio, that would put BBBY at a market cap of roughly 4B. If 0.2-4B market cap discrepancy is not deep value I don't know what is.

The deep value doesn't stop there however. Is Wayfair going to restructure? Can it? What would it even do to restructure? I am not saying it is a fundamental failure in business model, because maybe it's just a factor of the current economy...but that applies to BBBY for the last few years as well. The difference however, is that after restructuring, BBBY is now profitable. There was room to change the business model. The change that most needed to be changed was the number and locations of stores.

Something I don't think we should forget is what has happened in the last 18 months. Namely, that Sue Gove's turn around plan she outlined in her interview April 14, 2023, was in the context of Holly Etlin, the Restructuring genius, having already been on board since February 9th. Sue Gove's laugh when she was asked whether there was going to be an acquisition for BBBY, makes a lot more sense looking at what has transpired so far through the bankruptcy restructuring court process. The court process was about getting rid of leases, and restructuring the debt, and switching from a partnership with Blue Yonder to a partnership with Overstock. Also, getting rid of the Buybuy Baby name they apparently don't need anymore...

More on that. When did Ryan Cohen write a letter to the Bed Bath board? March 6, 2022.

When did he sell? August 18, 2022.

When did Sixth Street come in? August 24, 2022.

So far Ryan Cohen's letter, Sue Gove's Turnaround plan, and Holly Etlin's restructuring plan in docket 10, all line up perfectly and are going according to plan. Essentially, Sixth Street already owns BBBY, and so maybe that was what Sue's laugh was, the acquisition already happened a year ago.

As of right now however, even without RC, BBBY will exit chapter 11 restructuring with 360 Bed Bath and Beyond(sharing the IP with Overstock) and 120 Buybuy Baby, all profitable and strategically located. Free of their unprofitable locations, and with their debts restructured. They have tax credits(NOLs) which are worth more than the current debt. They will leave ready to do business as normal, just with a lien from Sixth Street. Holly Etlin in court said BBBY is a $5 billion dollar company. Holly said it IS a $5B company right now. I believe that exiting Chapter 11 and finishing carrying out it's plan to go back to what made BBBY iconic before Tritton came in and messed things up.

Know what you hold! Not financial advice, but I will see you all on the moon!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

That mention of the laugh had me curious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BBBY/comments/12ltmov/this_is_the_same_body_language_and_laugh_my_wife/

you can tell she was lying LOOK AT THE VEINS

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Looking forward to the inevitable SDNY/EDNY indictments for securities fraud when it turns out there's a bunch of wash trading/pump and dumps by Stratton Oakmont-like boiler rooms in bankrupt penny :stonks:. Jordan Belfort must be proud! *sheds tear*

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Has that guys wife left him yet?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

U-Copy made a truly deranged post yesterday (here if you want to see it) where you can see the full timecube nonsense in that screenshot. I had just heard of that user the other day when someone was singing their praises, saying that without them, that person never would have invested. At least a lot of people in the thread are calling bullshit but, like, not enough.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

The Pirate Captain posted:

U-Copy made a truly deranged post yesterday (here if you want to see it) where you can see the full timecube nonsense in that screenshot. I had just heard of that user the other day when someone was singing their praises, saying that without them, that person never would have invested. At least a lot of people in the thread are calling bullshit but, like, not enough.

holy poo poo LOL

we could practically have these kinds graphs in medical books on when to start prescribing anti-psychotics

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

oh hey it's ghosttitty's alt

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Mercury_Storm posted:

holy poo poo LOL

we could practically have these kinds graphs in medical books on when to start prescribing anti-psychotics

never not relevant

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Crust First posted:

never not relevant

LOLOLOL

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

holy poo poo LOL

you know this all sounded pretty far-fetched before i saw this chart... but now...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the committee in the blockfi bankruptcy just filed its investigative report: https://restructuring.ra.kroll.com/blockfi/Home-DownloadPDF?id1=MTYxMTU4MA==&id2=-1

it is, uh, somewhat long so it may make sense to wait for the summaries of the good stuff

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Pillbug
Guy I know is spreading the gospel of ripple on the back of this court ruling, apparently this is the start of the financial revolution with this shitcoin as the borderless digital currency of the world.

Over 200 banks already on board, trillions invested!!1!

Friend of his in the comments bitching about losing tons of money on Crypto and that she just wants to get out without losing much more but needs btc and eth to spike, try to guess what his solution is?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

The Pirate Captain posted:

So they're into Gematria now...

Definitely sound stock market analysis. Totally a sign you've bet on the right horse when the DD involves this poo poo.

Edit: Oh and even though there were a lot of skeptics in that thread, they're all singing his praises now that it's up $0.02 today.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

On November 2, 2022, CoinDesk published its now infamous report revealing that, of Alameda’s $14.6 billion in reported assets (Q2 2022), $5.8 billion was comprised of FTT. As Mr. Renzi stated in his “First Day” Declaration, this disclosure pushed Alameda/FTX into a “death spiral.” Public confidence in both companies, and in FTT, immediately collapsed. Within nine days, Alameda and FTX were in bankruptcy, prompting widespread allegations of fraud.

Here, it bears repeating that BlockFi had Alameda’s balance sheet (showing overreliance on FTT) as early as August 2021. It also bears repeating that, in June 2022, BlockFi could have severed the relationship, and would have then preserved nearly all customer deposits had it done so. Further, it bears observing that BlockFi had the exact same balance sheet published by CoinDesk (the one prompting the public’s spectacular run from Alameda/FTX) before it placed any of the cryptocurrency placed on the FTX/Alameda platform in the second half of 2022 – money that now may be irretrievable.

help me out guys, is it bad if you lent hundreds of millions of dollars against a balance sheet that the public took one look at and ran screaming from