Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

the_steve posted:

Well for starters, he's old as balls and probably has the sort of McDonalds and Hot Pocket diet that would make any goon proud. Even with access to the best medical care on the planet like he has, he's not going to live forever.

Secondly, to your two examples: So what? I ask that in all objective earnesty. What were the actual real-world odds that either of those things would have worked? Not "Haha, zero because they failed", but the actual chances of success? By what mechanism?
Had the Jan. 6 people actually gotten into the chambers, was there some magic gavel they could steal that would let them declare Trump the winner? Stand within the AoE radius of a Blue flag until it turned Red? Force Pelosi to say that Trump won? How would they enforce that? Would the Jan 6 crew stick around until the 20th just to make sure Nancy's pinky-promise held true? And they wouldn't somehow be taken out by snipers or just plain old overwhelming force in the meantime?

At no point on 1/6 was there a realistic path to victory for them, so I fail to see how he was any sort of effective threat on that front.

Same thing with the second point. So what? Some fresh-faced intern runs into the building with a lockbox full of notecards that said "Trump" on them. Would they have actually held up under any sort of scrutiny? Or would they have been sued back into nonexistence and thrown out like they were a petition for Green party ballot access?
Fabricating hundreds of thousands of falsified votes wouldn't have been something pulled off on a spur of the moment, not with any expectation of success.

It was useless desperation at best, the evil emperor screaming "No! This is impossible!" in impotent fury as the end nears, not an indication of any actual threat.

Yeah, barging in to the two houses of congress and doing mass violence/murder wouldn't change anything. things would just chug along as usual, they'd just respawn after the they are gone. Are you serious?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

It really helps when you just go away for years and people have enough space to forget about all of the terrible poo poo you've done

That combined with every valid but boring criticism of Obama being salted heavily with "even worse than Bush!" in ways that made people wonder "huh, am I exaggerating how mad I was at that dude?" At least in the circles I keep that was way more visible than him talking with Ellen or whatever.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Mellow Seas posted:

Please don’t write idiotic things and pretend I believe them.

I’m sure she would make a fantastic manager of the executive branch, an organization with nearly 2 million employees.

You should read up on when she ran some aids charities into the ground and how hostile of a boss she was.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Willa Rogers posted:

I still don't quite understand how quickly GWB's rep was rehabilitated, given the invective with which he was regarded by Democrats for a decade & beyond.

It had to be more than sharing lozenges with Michelle Obama, although I thought his post-presidential paintings were sort of endearing in a weird way.

The aforementioned staying out of politics since the end of his Presidency, and being followed by Trump as a GOP Pres both did a lot. There was also the fact that he and Obama worked together very effectively on the transition - better than any transition before or since, as far as I'm aware. It was something that Bush and his administration were particular about, and was widely recognized at the time and since. Even for the folks who hated Bush for any number of reasons found that part respectable.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Celexi posted:

Yeah, barging in to the two houses of congress and doing mass violence/murder wouldn't change anything. things would just chug along as usual, they'd just respawn after the they are gone. Are you serious?

Are you? Try addressing the point I actually made. How would any level of violence from a bunch of literal civilians and a handful of cops have overturned the election in a real and binding way?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

the_steve posted:

Are you? Try addressing the point I actually made. How would any level of violence from a bunch of literal civilians and a handful of cops have overturned the election in a real and binding way?

Well to begin with, there would be no one to certify the election, also no one to vote as alternative to certifying the electoral college votes. here'd be a complete power vacuum that trump would exploit and rule as " emergency unity prez for life".
There are quite a lot of other things that would happen too, there are many coups to read from that would have been similar if trump's one succeeded.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been thinking about this SCOTUS decision about certain businesses being allowed to deny service and, at the risk of a probe, I got to thinking about it and want to play devil's advocate here for a moment.

I'm an illustrator and a graphic designer by trade but am mostly down to freelance work in that area. I have refused work for Republican political flyers, anti abortion stuff, and certain churches that I very much do not align with. Things I actively believe are doing harm to our society and that I do not wish to lend my talent and skills to.

Am I allowed to do that legally? I think I am.

So, turning this argument on its head, when am I, as a creator, allowed to say "no, I don't want your business?" and I wonder where that line is drawn? I'm not a business owner but I do OK illustrating and doing graphics or print work for some clients I like. Suppose an anti gay, gun nut, nazi adjacent group or something like that saw my work and wanted me to drum up some logos, signs or pamphlets for them and I refused the work?

Should I be forced to do that?

I know there's an area there where poo poo like refusing to serve black people in restaurants or denying women access to wherever is a clear violation of civil rights, but when can I refuse work as an artist? The cake baking lady was a scummy piece of poo poo but I'm not sure she should be forced to bake it. What if some weirdo wants me to a Deviant Art illustration that I'm not comfortable with?

I have to dig more into it but is it possible the Supreme Court got this one right? I don't want to be on a legal hook for turning down a catalog for military grade police weaponry, which I have had work on at one of my jobs, and I view that one as different since I was in the employ of someone else. But if they'd come to me as a 1099 worker I'd tell them to get lost.

What if someone wants me to illustrate a "Why Jesus Hates Gay People" comic book and I say no? I've done some christian driven children's book illustrations but that was my choice and the writing was pretty benign. Isn't the better way for the customer to say "gently caress you then, I don't want you to bake my cake", let everyone know they're bigots and for businesses to openly market and advertise as being "hate free" or whatever?

I'm not real comfortable with the idea of being legally forced to design the printed program for next year's CPAC convention or banners, billboards and signs promoting it or poo poo like that.

For me, discriminating against someone's beliefs is fine but discriminating against their identity, is not. You don't choose to be gay so therefore it is wrong to refuse service on that basis. Similarly, discrimination against white people should not be allowed either. But discrimination against Christians or vegetarians is fine. I think there are likely some grey areas but this is my starting point.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been thinking about this SCOTUS decision about certain businesses being allowed to deny service and, at the risk of a probe, I got to thinking about it and want to play devil's advocate here for a moment.

I'm an illustrator and a graphic designer by trade but am mostly down to freelance work in that area. I have refused work for Republican political flyers, anti abortion stuff, and certain churches that I very much do not align with. Things I actively believe are doing harm to our society and that I do not wish to lend my talent and skills to.

So, turning this argument on its head, when am I, as a creator, allowed to say "no, I don't want your business?" and I wonder where that line is drawn? I'm not a business owner but I do OK illustrating and doing graphics or print work for some clients I like. Suppose an anti gay, gun nut, nazi adjacent group or something like that saw my work and wanted me to drum up some logos, signs or pamphlets for them and I refused the work?

I know there's an area there where poo poo like refusing to serve black people in restaurants or denying women access to wherever is a clear violation of civil rights, but when can I refuse work as an artist? The cake baking lady was a scummy piece of poo poo but I'm not sure she should be forced to bake it. What if some weirdo wants me to a Deviant Art illustration that I'm not comfortable with?

I have to dig more into it but is it possible the Supreme Court got this one right? I don't want to be on a legal hook for turning down a catalog for military grade police weaponry, which I have had work on at one of my jobs, and I view that one as different since I was in the employ of someone else. But if they'd come to me as a 1099 worker I'd tell them to get lost.

What if someone wants me to illustrate a "Why Jesus Hates Gay People" comic book and I say no? I've done some christian driven children's book illustrations but that was my choice and the writing was pretty benign. Isn't the better way for the customer to say "gently caress you then, I don't want you to bake my cake", let everyone know they're bigots and for businesses to openly market and advertise as being "hate free" or whatever?

I'm not real comfortable with the idea of being legally forced to design the printed program for next year's CPAC convention or banners, billboards and signs promoting it or poo poo like that.

When it comes to just constitutional and federal law, you can deny service for pretty much whatever reason you want, outside of certain specific cases that have specific laws covering them (like the Fair Housing Act). Private businesses aren't constrained by the First Amendment in the first place, it only constrains what the government can do.

The reason that wedding website designer had anything to worry about in the first place was because Colorado passed a law called the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act, which makes it illegal to deny service to "an individual or a group, because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, or ancestry", and it's that law that the Supreme Court took aim at.

You'll have to check yourself as I don't know where you live, but I don't think any state has a law saying it's illegal to deny service to conservative organizations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

the_steve posted:

The entire point of a coup is to use force to sidestep pesky issues of legality, and/or to create enough confusion that enough of a veil of legitimacy exists that extreme actions can be justified. A mob breaking into Congress and killing/intimidating enough Congresspeople to prevent the election from being certified isn't going to overturn the election on its own, but it would create an atmosphere of chaos and confusion that Trump certainly would have tried to have taken advantage of to retain power. Would he have been successful? Probably not, but there are plenty of perfectly plausible scenarios where force is required to prevent Trump from remaining in office.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
A Trump coup was never going to work largely because the military was on the anti Trump side, which is... not guaranteed to be the case if Trump gets put in charge of it again.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

James Garfield posted:

A Trump coup was never going to work largely because the military was on the anti Trump side, which is... not guaranteed to be the case if Trump gets put in charge of it again.

That's why tuberville is keeping military slots open. If Trump wins, they'll stuff the military leadership with fascists who want to invade Mexico.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The US Military is one of the most privileged and well funded in the world. I don't think Trump has anything to offer that would cause them to actually back him in a coup and you're absolutely not taking America in a coup without the military.

Though the Trump plan was never a coup but closer to the Brooks Brothers Riot and following the same plan that had worked for his conspirators in the past. Use violence to disrupt the legal process and be handed power legally.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

I still don't quite understand how quickly GWB's rep was rehabilitated, given the invective with which he was regarded by Democrats for a decade & beyond.

It had to be more than sharing lozenges with Michelle Obama, although I thought his post-presidential paintings were sort of endearing in a weird way.

It wasn't. There was one poll in 2018 that had him at 50% approval among Democrats, but it has been around 25% since 2020. You also have to separate out personal approval with job approval. Bush always had a much higher personal approval than job approval.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/22/politics/george-w-bush-favorable-poll/index.html

He was just rated the 39th worst President of all time according to Democrats in 2022.

George H.W. Bush has seen a resurgence in popularity among both Republicans and Democrats, though.

Reagan, FDR, and Obama are still far and away the former Presidents who people most approve of their time in office specifically.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 14, 2023

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Meatball posted:

That's why tuberville is keeping military slots open. If Trump wins, they'll stuff the military leadership with fascists who want to invade Mexico.
Not that easy to do, since the beginning of Trump's presidency a majority of military officers disapproved of him, and it only became worse as time went on.

I was an officer in the Army, and the few times Trump ever came up at work among fellow officers it was always something negative.

It's still a group that leans conservative but they're definitely not Trump supporters by and large, especially the younger ones.

Being an officer requires a college education and they probably have friends among the groups that the right is relentlessly attacking these days, likely even fellow service members belonging to those groups.

I have many complaints about my fellow officers but being Trumpy isn't one of them.

Edit: there's also the fact that officers are one of those groups of overeducated professionals that the right loves to attack.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 14, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the decision was wrong because it's overly broad in what it considers freedom of expression but the argument I think you're being is sound. It comes down to if providing your services to a protected group would cause you to do or express something against your religion.

I think the court is overly broad here because I don't think creating wedding websites for gay couples is violating religious beliefs unless there is consistency with any other religions outside of your faith and not just gender. A lot of the decision hinged on the fact that she claimed (remember there was no actual commission by a gay couple) that she made the websites by interviewing the couples and telling their story in their words which makes it her "speech". This is a huge stretch to then carve out protections from offering services to protected groups.

For a comparison to more sane courts, the cake case in 2018 was a narrow ruling that decided that the baker was not required to create a cake for a gay wedding and they primarily made that ruling because the state had obviously been biased against his religious beliefs. That same baker had a second case during that time in a lower court that finally resolved this year where it was ruled that it was discriminatory when he refused a "gender reveal" cake for a transgender woman. The cake wasn't requiring him to say anything, he obviously just refused because they were trans.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
That's dire. Trump is only an immediate threat, but he's absolutely a symptom of systemic problems. This isnt working, and it doesn't seem likely to from my perspective. The trajectory of Americans political impulses and awareness in the face of climate change only further highlights this. It would be bad if Trump won, but beating trump or even beating Republicans is so far from a win condition its easy to be dismissive of the "threat".

That said, I'm a tall straight white dude and the amount it diminishes me to vote for the other losing option (dems) isn't really worth not stopping things from getting worse. Trump or R rule is worse for a lot of people... everybody really, but just for now. It seems at this rate none of this will matter much anymore sometime soon, perhaps within my lifetime.

If the people I vote for don't have an answer for that, it's hard to feel my vote matters much. The deep dive into mechanisms of why we are hosed or who's at fault are illuminating but don't change my opinion on the outcome. People obsessing with trump (that I've spoken to) are missing the big picture.

Edit* fixed a typo, but hell rereading this, I'm saying politics isn't offering acceptable options. I don't have an alternative, there may not be one. But as much as "the fight is never over" is true, I no longer feel like we're fighting the actual fight.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 14, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It wasn't. There was one poll in 2018 that had him at 50% approval among Democrats, but it has been around 25% since 2020.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/22/politics/george-w-bush-favorable-poll/index.html

That link had him at 61 percent as of 2018, almost twice as when he left office, and attributes the increase to Democrats & independents.

quote:

George W. Bush has turned his unpopularity upside down.

Six in 10 Americans, 61%, say they now have a favorable view of the 43rd President of the United States in the latest CNN poll conducted by SSRS, nearly double the 33% who gave him a favorable mark when he left the White House in January 2009.

His mark is lower than Barack Obama’s 66% favorable rating in the same poll, but significantly higher than the 40% favorable rating for President Donald Trump.

Most of Bush’s climb back to popularity came from Democrats and independents. His favorability mark among Democrats has soared from only 11% in February 2009 to a majority 54% now.

In fact, Bush holds a majority favorable rating among every demographic group but liberals – including strong Democratic groups like nonwhites and people under 35 years old.

When it comes to Republicans, his marks are virtually the same as they were immediately after he left office. His favorability climbed from 76% among Republicans a month after he left office to 88% in a 2015 poll from CNN/ORC – but it’s fallen back down to 76% in the Trump era.

Despite the climb overall, Republican disapproval of the former president has tripled from 7% to 21% since 2015.

Which is what I pointed out: Bush went from pariah to precious in a decade, although I wouldn't have guessed it was due to his standing among Democrats quadrupling, lol.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

That link had him at 61 percent as of 2018, almost twice as when he left office, and attributes the increase to Democrats & independents.

Which is what I pointed out: Bush went from pariah to precious in a decade, although I wouldn't have guessed it was due to his standing among Democrats quadrupling, lol.

Yeah, that was one poll from 5 years ago that was much higher than other polls. And personal approval and job approval are different. Bush's personal approval was always higher than his job approval.

His job approval is still rated very low by Democrats and Republicans. Only 1% of Americans rated him the best president (compared to 10% for Trump, 19% for Obama, and 23% for Reagan) and half of Americans rated his presidency as a failure.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Willa Rogers posted:

There are a frustrating amount of people online who buy into this idea that he was just an aw-shucks and geeze idiot who got hoodwinked into being the puppet for the shadowy evil forces behind the iraq war, and that he had no agency or part in everything that went down during his presidency. You get this a lot when he occasionally jokes about the old memes from the era involving him, or people bring out the images of him painting again. There's this insistence that he's just a good old boy who didn't know better and was used as a tool by people who wanted to stay in the shadows. Most of the people I've met IRL who believe this were in grade school when 9/11 happened so that might colour some things.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Basically any republican who can project an image other than insecure bully or proud klansman gets a favorable view from mainstream democrats, longingly hoping republicans will treat guys like John Kerry and Joe Biden with the same reverence that the mainstream democrats have for Reagan and McCain.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

BiggerBoat posted:

No because political affiliation isn`t a protected class, and falls under the general rule that you can refuse service to people whose vibe you don't like. While possibly rude, refusing service to a Republican, a radicool punk who doesn't play by anyone's rules, or a brony doesn't contribute to historic discrimination and barriers to being able to live a regular life the way discrimination against someone in a protected class does. Protected classes are defined pretty explicitly in state and federal law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_group#United_States

quote:

The following characteristics are "protected" by United States federal anti-discrimination law:

-Race – Civil Rights Act of 1964
-Religion – Civil Rights Act of 1964
-National origin – Civil Rights Act of 1964
-Age (40 and over) – Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
-Sex – Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Sexual orientation and gender identity as of Bostock v. Clayton County – Civil Rights Act of 1964[4]
-Pregnancy – Pregnancy Discrimination Act
-Familial status – Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII: Prohibits discrimination for having children, with an exception for senior housing. Also prohibits making a preference for those with children.
-Disability status – Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
-Veteran status – Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
-Genetic information – Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 14, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blind Pineapple posted:

Basically any republican who can project an image other than insecure bully or proud klansman gets a favorable view from mainstream democrats, longingly hoping republicans will treat guys like John Kerry and Joe Biden with the same reverence that the mainstream democrats have for Reagan and McCain.

Plus GW's own public facing persona played into that really well long term. The guy's an ultra rich elite suit of course but that reality vanished so fast in people's minds it was barely there.

After all he was the down to earth guy you could have a beer with. A lot of people really bought into that he was just a good guy that wanted to keep us safe even not long after his last term. So I'm not surprised he couod get rehabilitated to about that level.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

burnishedfume posted:

No because political affiliation isn`t a protected class, and falls under the general rule that you can refuse service to people whose vibe you don't like. While possibly rude, refusing service to a Republican, a radicool punk who doesn't play by anyone's rules, or a bony doesn't contribute to historic discrimination and barriers to being able to live a regular life the way discrimination against someone in a protected class does. Protected classes are defined pretty explicitly in state and federal law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_group#United_States

Seeing genetic information on there is kinda wild. We're like, 300+ more years ahead of the United Federation of Planets on that one.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Professor Beetus posted:

Seeing genetic information on there is kinda wild. We're like, 300+ more years ahead of the United Federation of Planets on that one.

Yeah but they had genetically modified super soldiers by the 90s where we just have social media. We may get our own bell riots and the unification of Ireland in 2024, which would match up nicely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Killer robot posted:

That combined with every valid but boring criticism of Obama being salted heavily with "even worse than Bush!" in ways that made people wonder "huh, am I exaggerating how mad I was at that dude?" At least in the circles I keep that was way more visible than him talking with Ellen or whatever.

Also way too many people care about tone and not content, sighing in relief at quiet polite fascism and crying at a big mean old man yelling.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

The US Military is one of the most privileged and well funded in the world. I don't think Trump has anything to offer that would cause them to actually back him in a coup and you're absolutely not taking America in a coup without the military.

As it stands now, I’d agree. But other Michael Flynns exist and I don’t really want to live in a world where Trump decides to spend four years elevating them to key positions.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Our gerontocracy may be too ossified to do anything to actually help real, living people, but they’ve seen their syndicated reruns and aren’t gonna let the Eugenics Wars start on their watch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

burnishedfume posted:

No because political affiliation isn`t a protected class, and falls under the general rule that you can refuse service to people whose vibe you don't like. While possibly rude, refusing service to a Republican, a radicool punk who doesn't play by anyone's rules, or a brony doesn't contribute to historic discrimination and barriers to being able to live a regular life the way discrimination against someone in a protected class does. Protected classes are defined pretty explicitly in state and federal law.

Well put. Thanks

Unrelated, but in New That Should Surprise Nobody, cops are racist fascists

https://news.yahoo.com/body-cam-catches-glimpse-inside-155904435.html

quote:

The inside of the Seattle Police Department’s East Precinct has been exposed for its disgraceful interior. I don’t mean that as in unclean (which it certainly could be). According to The Seattle Times, we’re talking “Trump 2020” flags and a mock tombstone of a Black man who was killed by the police.

That is almost to be expected but what really crossed the line was the mock tombstone sitting on a shelf displaying a Black power fist. On it was the name of Damarius Butts, a 19-year-old boy who was killed by a hail of 11 bullets at the officers in April 2017 after fleeing a robbery. The report says the officers took it from a Black Lives Matter memorial for people who were killed by the police.

Now Butts’ mother is demanding answers and an apology from the officers who made a mockery of her son’s death.

They're going with the "I don't know how all that meth got in my car" defense

quote:

The department said in a statement most of the things displayed in the room have since been removed. However, they “didn’t know how” the tombstone ended up on the shelf but don’t have a reason to believe it was placed there with any “pejorative intent.” If not pejorative, then what?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's time for the big annual defense bill, and you won't believe it but the Republicans are fuckin' around. They've stuck a bunch of stupid culture war poo poo in the bill that's all gotta get untangled. It's so stupid and malicious that it apparently might not even pass the House, let alone the Senate.

NYT posted:

The fate of the annual defense bill was in doubt on Friday, after Republicans loaded the legislation with a raft of conservative social policy restrictions limiting access to abortions, gender transition procedures and diversity training for military personnel, alienating Democrats whose votes G.O.P. leaders had seen as crucial to passing the legislation.

The Republican-led House, prodded by right-wing lawmakers, attached a provision to undo a Pentagon policy adopted after the Supreme Court struck down abortion rights to provide time off and travel reimbursement to service members who must travel out of state to obtain an abortion.

Republicans also added measures prohibiting the military from offering health coverage for gender transition surgeries — which currently require a waiver — and related hormone therapies. They included language that would eliminate all diversity, equity and inclusion offices at the Pentagon, as well as the positions attached to them.

They adopted a measure barring the Pentagon’s educational arm from buying any book that contains pornographic material or “espouses radical gender ideology.” And with the help of nine Democrats, they approved an amendment that would prohibit Defense Department schools from teaching that the United States or its founding documents are racist.

The measures stand no chance of passing in the Democratic-led Senate, which is planning to begin considering its own version of the bill next week. Even if Republicans can muscle their bill through the House, the deep chasm between the chambers is expected to set off a protracted fight that could threaten Congress’s ability to maintain its six-decade track record of passing defense policy bills each year.
None of this poo poo is going to help them! They are seriously going to run their entire national campaign in 2024 around abortion, trans people and corporate PowerPoints about racism.

Bonus:

quote:

The votes came amid a heated floor debate in which Republicans and Democrats feuded over issues of race, sex and gender. Representative Eli Crane, Republican of Arizona, at one point made a reference to “colored people” while defending his amendment to keep diversity training from becoming a condition for obtaining or keeping Defense Department jobs. Representative Joyce Beatty of Ohio, a Democrat who is Black, demanded that his comments be stricken from the record, and Mr. Crane later said in a statement that he “misspoke.”

Later in the evening, Representative Jill Tokuda, Democrat of Hawaii, admonished her G.O.P. colleagues for the tenor of the debate.

“From the backwards, racially insensitive comments spoken on this floor, it seems D.E.I. training would be good right here in the halls of Congress,” she said.
Lest you think Mr. Crane is some ancient fossil who simply can't keep up with today's modern terminology, he was born in 1980.

Wikipedia posted:

A member of the Republican Party, Crane served in the United States Navy SEALs and co-founded Bottle Breacher, a company that manufactures bottle openers made of 50-caliber shell casings.
:911:

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 14, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m sorry, but if you are using ‘colored people’ while speaking, you have 100% been using it for some time. Nobody’s brain just pulls that out

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't even think it was any percent a mistake, I think he was doing it to be a white nationalist edgelord, who probably couldn't wait to go on Boningo or something and say "well they say 'people of color' all the time, what's the difference? :smug:"

I'm actually going to guess that "colored people" is not Rep. Crane's favorite way to refer to black people in friendly company. It's much too nice.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Did using the phrase get people talking about him?

Mission accomplished from his point of view.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's suckering them into his argument since now he can spin it into how he cares about the military and defending America and the only thing Democrats care about in the defense bill is words

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

BiggerBoat posted:

Political beliefs are not a protected class.

The negative aspect of the ruling was that the status of LGBTQ+ folks isn't formally determined to be a protected class by the Constitution in actual writing, but through precedent and laws provided by Congress and enforced by the executive branch. The ruling erodes that precedent by asserting religious freedom supersedes the idea that maybe, just maybe, sexuality is a protected class under the Constitution, in spite of it being established as such from prior case law and written law. If the written law stating sexuality is a protected class is ruled in a future case to not be constitutional due to religious establishment, we're really hosed, and that's where the above ruling is attempting to establish case law to do exactly that.

If you're open to the public, you ought to serve all comers. That's an important precedent, but not as important as the one suggesting you should serve all protected classes. The ruling suggests, well if you strongly believe a (precedent and law-based) protected class ought to pound sand, you should be permitted to because the government cannot impose secularism on your capitalism.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not a legal mind. I'm just a guy who reads this explanation from the room. We need the equal rights amendment to be enshrined into the Constitution.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Senate had mandatory hearings and passed a law requiring the declassification of historical UFO documentation in 2022. Several videos were released and the government revealed that it had about 900 records of contact with unidentified flying objects since the 1940's. About 2/3 of them were explainable or debunked, but there were about 300 instances where they were not able to definitely prove what the object was. However, they also have 0 incidents where they were confident that it could have been a confirmed visitation by aliens.

The information that has already been released was mostly historical information up through 2014. Schumer wants to create a JFK assassination-style commission of people from outside of the government to review the remaining recent UFO documentation and declassify/make public the results. This bill would require more recent video/documentation to be released and require them to provide review access to all the old archives to check if anything was missing.

Seems like it probably won't end up revealing too much. We know that they did not actually find an alien body in the 1950's, but maybe they did in the last 10 years? Still, probably a good idea in principle to have an outside panel periodically reviewing and releasing information as it comes in instead of doing it in 50-year batches.

Maybe there wasn't any confirmed UFO activity from 1940 to 2014, but there was a ton of it from 2015 to 2023 and Obama, Trump, and Biden have just been really tight-lipped about it.

If passed, all documentation from every government department would have to be turned over to this review board within 300 days. The board would then be granted the power to declassify any classified information, release all of it the information (with an exception that would allow them to redact the names of specific people or a description of tactics used to gather intelligence on other countries), and produce an overall summary report to go with the documents.

Some people are supporting it because they think it will help reduce conspiracy theories if there really is nothing there, but those people seem hopelessly naïve because there will never be an end to alien conspiracies. We can't get 100% agreement on whether the earth is round in 2023, so there's no way we are getting consensus on whether aliens have visited earth.

One portion of the law also gives the government the authority to confiscate any alien spaceships that are currently in private or corporate possession:

quote:

it also gives the federal government the power to claim any crashed spaceships in private or corporate hands, however unlikely that such things exist.

Superman's baby ship can now be legally confiscated by the federal government if it is ever discovered when the legislation passes.

It's not clear where Kryptonite falls on that spectrum and if LexCorp would have to surrender their Kryptonite stores or just actual spaceships.

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1679658426165600256

quote:

Bipartisan Measure Aims to Force Release of U.F.O. Records

Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the majority leader, is pushing legislation to create a commission with broad authority to declassify government documents about U.F.O.s and extraterrestrial matters, in an attempt to force the government to share all that it knows about unidentified phenomena.

The measure offers the possibility of pushing back against the conspiracy theories that surround discussions of U.F.O.s and fears that the government is hiding critical information from the public.

The legislation, which Mr. Schumer will introduce as an amendment to the annual defense policy bill, has bipartisan support, including that of Senator Mike Rounds, Republican of South Dakota, and Senator Marco Rubio, Republican of Florida, who has championed legislation that has forced the government to release a series of reports on unidentified phenomena.

Support in the House is also likely. On Wednesday, the chamber included a narrower measure in its version of the annual defense bill that would push the Pentagon to release documents about unidentified aerial phenomena.

(While the government has agreed not to call mysterious sightings U.F.O.s, various branches and agencies disagree on whether to refer to aerial phenomena or anomalous phenomena.)

The Senate measure sets a 300-day deadline for government agencies to organize their records on unidentified phenomena and provide them to the review board.

President Biden would appoint the nine-person review board, subject to Senate approval. Senate staff members say the intent is to select a group of people who would push for disclosure while protecting sensitive intelligence collection methods.

Interest in U.F.O.s has always been high, but it has grown even more since a collection of videos showing unidentified phenomena recorded by military sensors was made public and naval aviators described hard-to-explain events while on training missions.

Some of the videos released by the Pentagon have been explained as optical illusions or drones, but others remain unexplained and the object of much speculation. Under pressure from Congress, the Pentagon and intelligence agencies have gathered hundreds of reports of unexplained phenomena. Officials have said most of the unexplained incidents are airborne trash, Chinese spying efforts or errant weather balloons. American officials have repeatedly said that none of the videos or other material they have collected appears to be evidence of alien visitation.

It is hard to know how many unreleased documents exist in government archives. Intelligence agencies have said repeatedly that they have released the material they have. Their freedom of information offices are constantly deluged with requests for material on U.F.Os., only to be met with responses that the archives have been released.

Still, more recent work, particularly by the Pentagon, has not been made public, and the reticence of some government agencies to produce records has frustrated both Democratic and Republican lawmakers, Mr. Schumer’s staff members said.

For example, various Pentagon task forces have conducted extensive studies on videos taken by naval aviators and other military personnel that have remained secret. Some work on the videos has been released, including at a recent NASA meeting. In some cases, officials believe disclosures could reveal the capability of classified optics and sensors. But in cases in which no formal conclusion has been reached, officials have been reluctant to share information on their deliberations or theories.

It is the reluctance to share all that is known about the incidents that are not completely understood that has fueled endless speculation on social media, in television specials and public debates.

The new legislation is modeled on the commission that oversaw the release of information about John F. Kennedy’s assassination. That legislation, passed in 1992, has been imperfect, and both the release and withholding of documents have continued through the Biden administration.

Still, the Kennedy assassination review board has forced the release of thousands of pages of documents, and lawmakers believe the approach could work here.

Under Mr. Schumer’s legislation, the president could decide to delay material the commission has chosen to release based on national security concerns. But the measure would establish a timetable to release documents and codify the presumption that the material should be public.

“You now will have a process through which we will declassify this material,” said Allison Biasotti, a spokeswoman for Mr. Schumer.

Government officials have repeatedly said they do not have the remains of a crashed alien spacecraft or any manufactured material of extraterrestrial origins.

Those assertions have been challenged by some former officials who believe the government is not divulging all that it knows. The legislation would likely force more details of the government’s study of unknown materials to be released, but it also gives the federal government the power to claim any crashed spaceships in private or corporate hands, however unlikely that such things exist.

Mr. Biden, unlike former President Barack Obama, has not directly addressed the issue of unidentified phenomena. But Mr. Biden did order two unknown objects and a Chinese spy balloon to be shot from the sky. Afterward, the president said that he would not apologize for shooting down the spy balloon and that the United States would continue to adapt its approach to dealing with unknown objects.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 14, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A Bad King posted:

Political beliefs are not a protected class.

The negative aspect of the ruling was that the status of LGBTQ+ folks isn't formally determined to be a protected class by the Constitution in actual writing, but through precedent and laws provided by Congress and enforced by the executive branch. The ruling erodes that precedent by asserting religious freedom supersedes the idea that maybe, just maybe, sexuality is a protected class under the Constitution, in spite of it being established as such from prior case law and written law. If the written law stating sexuality is a protected class is ruled in a future case to not be constitutional due to religious establishment, we're really hosed, and that's where the above ruling is attempting to establish case law to do exactly that.

If you're open to the public, you ought to serve all comers. That's an important precedent, but not as important as the one suggesting you should serve all protected classes. The ruling suggests, well if you strongly believe a (precedent and law-based) protected class ought to pound sand, you should be permitted to because the government cannot impose secularism on your capitalism.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not a legal mind. I'm just a guy who reads this explanation from the room. We need the equal rights amendment to be enshrined into the Constitution.

Compromise: You're allowed to refuse service to whoever you want, but then you're not allowed to apply for any sort of government aid if your business starts to tank.
Kind of like how you have to prove that you're job hunting while on welfare, refusing someone's business proves that you didn't want to make money.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

the_steve posted:

Compromise: You're allowed to refuse service to whoever you want, but then you're not allowed to apply for any sort of government aid if your business starts to tank.
Kind of like how you have to prove that you're job hunting while on welfare, refusing someone's business proves that you didn't want to make money.

I'd rather have the right to not get discriminated against

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

He's suckering them into his argument since now he can spin it into how he cares about the military and defending America and the only thing Democrats care about in the defense bill is words
I don't think it's going to work, there was a quick condemnation of Crane but they seem very focused on the actual content of the bill. If they are going for that, it's much, much easier to attack the Republicans for being "political" about the military (let's pretend the American delusion that the military is apolitical is true) for putting all this crap in the bill. There's no need to dwell on some dipshit seeing how low he can make the pitch on the whistle when the actual bill is full of bigoted assaults on the rights of personnel.

I think even people who are iffy on trans rights would possibly be swayed by Sec. Austin and a zillion generals coming out and saying, "yes, we're doing this because it's the best way to build a military, not to fill some social agenda, we are a professional killing organization and morality is not our first concern." (Of course, most people are never going to get past the headline anyway. If most people even hear about any of this, which will probably depend on how far it gets pushed, and whether the operation of the Pentagon is in doubt.)

The abortion thing is just a total loser for them.

As for DEI/CRT, I wonder how much the "simply making white people think about the existence of black people before an election makes them vote more conservative" studies from 10-20 years ago hold up, with the way the electorate has changed. It probably still applies but I bet the effect is diminished.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
An effect of the SCOTUS's business discrimination decision is even greater pressure for people to sort themselves into states/cities/regions on ideological lines. Around where I live, if somebody was refusing service to gay people and it got out, that place would be out of business within weeks, just from people voting with their feet. But somewhere else, hell, a place might get more business for doing that.

It stacks nicely with the efforts of pols like Abbott and DeSantis to make their states miserable for anybody who isn't right wing, encouraging conservative immigration and liberal emigration, and will probably keep states like FL, TX and NC red for longer than they would have been otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

burnishedfume posted:

I'd rather have the right to not get discriminated against

Me too.