Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The short version version is, Macross isn't a constantly churning production line - Macross tv shows are rare!

The time between Frontier and Delta was nine years, and that's the shortest time there's ever been between shows. 7 and Frontier came out after 12 and 13 years gaps respectively. The announced Sunrise produced show will probably land around that kind of time frame funnily enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

OG Macross is also very melodramatic. It also owns very hard. 7 is a lot less so, the triangle is one sided every way so you don't get a whole lot out of it. Max and Millias relationship ends up being more interesting.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Part of me would like to see a Macross AU with someone writing it that isn't Kawamori just to give a fresh take and remove some cruft, but part of me also feels an AU wouldn't capture the Macross feel

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Gaius Marius posted:

OG Macross is also very melodramatic. It also owns very hard. 7 is a lot less so, the triangle is one sided every way so you don't get a whole lot out of it. Max and Millias relationship ends up being more interesting.

The triangle isn't Basara-Mylene-Gamlin, it's Mylene-Basara-Basara's need for an audiance.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Part of me would like to see a Macross AU with someone writing it that isn't Kawamori just to give a fresh take and remove some cruft, but part of me also feels an AU wouldn't capture the Macross feel

We almost got that back in the 90's before the concept evolved into Escaflowne

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

drrockso20 posted:

We almost got that back in the 90's before the concept evolved into Escaflowne

A loss for Macross as a franchise, maybe, but I'll still going to call that a win.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

new brave series, though its just a web manga for now. hopefully it does well and gets an anime

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
lets go baan gaan

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean, that's sorta a description for Macross II: Lovers Again.

It's not very good.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the macross approach of jumping way in the future with every new show is just as fine for that because you can see how the setting got there from where the last show was, but also it feels completely different. gundam should fill in more of those gaps in the UC.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Endorph posted:

new brave series, though its just a web manga for now. hopefully it does well and gets an anime

Hopefully it'll get translated. I don't imagine an anime will happen when not even the newest GaoGaiGar stuff can get one.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah, we're probably not getting another animated brave show unless producers suddenly get a lot more confident in toy sales.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, that's sorta a description for Macross II: Lovers Again.

It's not very good.

I think that's less to do with it being a non-Kawamori AU and more to do with Lovers Again being deeply meh.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Macross II wasn't made to be an AU its treated as one as after the fact as Kawamori wasn't involved

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

OG Macross is the best, Macross 7 is the best for me personally because Fire Bomber is exactly my kind of music.

It is me. I am Ozma.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I should really give OG Macross a rewatch. I'm a big fan of Plus but that's more for Watanabe's direction than for Macross itself. It's been a long, loooong time since I watched the original show.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 14, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, we're probably not getting another animated brave show unless producers suddenly get a lot more confident in toy sales.

I mean, we got Shinkalion and Earth Granner from Tomica in the last few years. It's not impossible.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, we got Shinkalion and Earth Granner from Tomica in the last few years. It's not impossible.

Huh! I knew about Shinkalion, but I completely missed out on Earth Granner.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Macross II wasn't made to be an AU its treated as one as after the fact as Kawamori wasn't involved
Macross licensing was weird in the 90s, in the Calvinball sense. I always felt Macross II to Macross Plus was like Snake's Revenge to Metal Gear 2.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think it's less that Kawamori wasn't involved and more that it's not entirely compatible with how he envisaged the franchise, since it's set in 2092 and Kawamori started again with Plus in 2040 and 7 in 2045; Kawamori has still included nods to Macross II in some of his Macross entries, and I'm pretty sure there's music from it in both 7 and Frontier off hand. I'd have to go hunting to find out exactly when and where, but Macross continuity is kind of loose anyway and the general gist is that every Macross show is just a dramatization of some real event we never see, which is why both the original show and it's film counterpart can both be "canon", since both are just different tellings of the same event. As such, at most you could view II as being someone's stylized take on some event in the future of Kawamori's continuity, where Earth closes itself off for whatever reason, almost akin to films like Inglorious Bastards that are only loosely based in history and aren't afraid to change it for the sake of entertainment or story.

tsob fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 15, 2023

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Huh, I thought it was just Macross Zero that was a beloved historical fiction movie in universe.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nah, iirc between 7 and plus you see both people actively talkingabout the DYRL film as an in-universe movie and you also see a character renting tapes of the TV series.

I do love the nested implication/joke that Ranka wasn’t made up to look like Mao at all because of a game of casting telephone, that the ranka in frontier is an actress playing the *real* ranka lee who played a fictionalized Mao in a/the version of Zero, and it’s less that they didn’t bother so much as all the differences between each “actress” Just kept adding up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 15, 2023

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Lol oops

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/RobotechNews/status/1682222363130167297

Series that are cleared:
- Macross II
- Macross Plus
- Macross Frontier
- Macross Delta
- Megazone 23
- Orguss
- Orguss 2

Series that are NOT cleared:
- Macross
- Southern Cross
- Mospeada
- Love Live Alive
- DYRL
- FB 2012
- Macross 7
- Macross Zero

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Max does briefly appear in Delta, so I'm surprised they let that pass given how finicky they've been in the past.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

given that the recent push seems to have been because they wanted screenings of the delta movies in the west, wouldnt be surprised if that was specifically made an exception for

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

This tweet made it sound like Macross 7 and 0 might be okay.

https://twitter.com/RobotechNews/status/1682222111329271809

As I think DYRL is the only one outside that window.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm not really familiar with the robotech/macross stuff other than the early days of it where robotech was hobbled together or something? it's been like 10 years since i visited this stuff.

is that that tweet about what series of macross can be cleared to be released in the usa/english?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 21, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mekchu posted:

i'm not really familiar with the robotech/macross stuff other than the early days of it where robotech was hobbled together or something? it's been like 10 years since i visited this stuff.

is that that tweet about what series of macross can be cleared to be released in the usa/english?
Correct. Harmony Gold (the owners of robotech) used to block literally any release of Macross material in the west. Recently they and the Macross rights holders worked out a deal where certain series could be released in the west.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
You ready to climb the wall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H_VqvGuDQ4

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Those twitter posts are strangely worded, the only new info there seems to be that anything that hasn't been made yet will have to be negotiated on a case-by-case basis, the agreement they came to a few years ago wasn't just a blanket agreement going forward

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why the gently caress would you even make that part of your panel lol, it makes you look awful

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Harmony Gold is basically a mafia company that got into media distribution (and so anime) as part of a series of complicated tax fraud and money laundering schemes. They've been terrible at making themselves look good for decades now.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Justin_Brett posted:

Why the gently caress would you even make that part of your panel lol, it makes you look awful

It's not like Harmony Gold has anything else to talk about, they've produced like one thing in the last 20 years. There's supposedly a live-action Robotech movie in development but I'll believe it when I see a trailer.

HG probably needed this deal just as much as Big West if they're serious about this movie (I doubt this) because otherwise they've got something they could only release in the US without getting sued into oblivion.

The Macross situation is also just as much Tatsunoko Pro's fault for selling international distribution rights that included stuff they were not (at least according to Japanese case law) actually able to sell. They were only supposed to have the international distribution rights to just the TV series and not control over the IP. So HG bought something that Tatsunoko had no right to sell and under a different jurisdiction, and that's why it's been a legal quagmire for the last 30 years. Really, the core dispute here was between Tatsunoko and Studio Nue (and in the modern day Big West) over who actually controlled the Macross IP and HG was just a side player that Tatsunoko was using as leverage.

That's not to say HG is innocent- they were basically using Robotech among a bunch of other internationally licensed titles as part of complicated international money laundering schemes in the early 80s which ran out past the statute of limitations by the time they were being seriously prosecuted.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So speaking as a person with no insider knowledge and collating secondhand murmurings, the situation seems to be that Harmony Gold is not doing well vis-à-vis having the license for Macross.

The alleged stuff that I've heard alleged is that back in 2019 while they were triumphant about how the Macross license got renewed, in actuality there were a heck of a lot of asterisks next to that deal. Allegedly, one of the new provisos is that there is an arbitration clause built into the renewed contract stating that if Harmony Gold is not using the license well a third party can be called to come in, do an audit, review their output (or lack thereof), and possibly slap them and take the license away from them.

Again, I haven't got a solid source, but right around the time Harmony Gold was tooting their horn about the renewal is also right around the time that Macross stuff started coming out in America after decades of actively standing the way of that. Also allegedly the licensing contract they have is set for two year renewal cycles, and now 4 years after the fact we have this tweet talking up how they're totally going to "let" even more Macross series get released in the wider world. Also also the lawsuit between Tatsunoko and Nue/Big West finally ended meaning that the parties involved could turn towards Harmony Gold who'd allegedly been skating by in large part thanks to said lawsuit. Tatsunoko likely had a vested interest in Harmony Gold keeping the license to Macross to buttress their position, and now that that's over they have absolutely no reason to keep supporting HG's gaggle of serial bridge burners.

It seems like the deal that was finally struck for the license renewal was functionally that HG has to stop stonewalling international releases and in return they're good to go ahead and try and make something out of Robotech, presumably that Hollywood movie they've been making noise about for years and years.

But this is all alleged, rumors and allegations and just-so stories and circumstantial evidence so on. Whatever the case is all I'm willing to put money on is that Harmony Gold probably isn't doing quite as well as they're pretending they are, as though their exciting lack of output for 20 years isn't evidence enough of that…

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 21, 2023

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

HG would definitely need to be in the "definitely not gonna get sued for this" category to get a Robotech movie made. They clearly don't have the money to fund it themselves and it'd be pretty hard to get anyone to invest in a big-budget movie that would have any chance at all of being blocked out of multiple movie markets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

they genuinely hate macross. like people have talked about going to their panels before and they literally have security at the door grill you about stuff and then when you get in they make a ton of dismissive, jokey comments about macross and talk about how its dumb anime poo poo and robotech is better.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It is understandable, to a degree, since Macross was the one part of their defining project that people loved and yet they can never make use of it beyond what they've already done; they kind of have to try to downplay it and at least try and push either their own stuff or the other parts of Robotech in order to make any traction of their own. The fact that a lot of the fans of the original either just transitioned to Macross or moved on because they can't do anything with Macross has to make them resentful of it too, even though they're entirely dependent on it as a media company.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1684541142321311745?t=6HPE54b03dV99M8OA5d-og&s=19

Ah yes, well known Japanese mecha artist Syd Mead. (Yes, I am aware of the irony in the image)

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a troll image, all the images on the left are by western designers and all the images on the right are by jp designers