Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Robviously posted:

I really hope people start treating these kyuji tournaments as the black spots on the Sumo Association that they really are. I know that this really isn't anything new but it seems like the age of steady yokozuna may be over given the atrocious attempts made to shame not just them but also the ozeki they promote into destroying themselves like this.

Rikshi really need to be able to take at least one basho off a year without falling in rank in order to heal. Constantly pushing people to wrestle even when they're injured is a big part of why sumo wrestlers die twenty years earlier on average than your average Japanese citizen. It's absurd that the only people who can take time off are ozeki once every other basho and yokozuna whenever they feel like it. Everyone else is in a constant meat grinder and the few people who've gotten to the top have crawled through that meat grinder.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Really puts in context how incredible Tamawashi's streak of matches is as a competitor, his durability and grit to fight through pain are absolutely unreal.

I'm sad to see Terunofuji out, and I sort of have to wonder if Tobizaru would have even considered the leg sweep if Terunofuji hadn't tried it first. There seemed to be some tactics that people didn't really use against Terunofuji even though they might have been effective and that was one of them.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
After seeing Teru wobbly post match and watching the replay, I kinda winced at the leg shot from Tobi. It's fair play on Tobi's part, but it looked to connect direct with Teru's knee.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm sad I forgot to check the thread in time for sumo basho - I hope everyones picks go well :ohdear:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Put in picks and you'll get points from day 4!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Good thing ive only watched (and forgotten) day 1 so far and know no results!

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu
Abi

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Meisei
Asanoyama

M6-10:
Takayasu
Takanosho
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Kotoeko
Wakatakakage
Chiyoshoma

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning posted:

Put in picks and you'll get points from day 4!

Speaking of which - you might as well build in the 0.5 deduction for everyone given Teru's kyujo lol

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 4

Absolutely beautiful sukuinage by Asanoyama!

Also, I may have watched every basho for a couple of years by now, but on thing is for sure: I will never ever tell Meisei and Miogiryu apart.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I woke up this morning from a dream where I was apparently a rikishi in the ring, and as I crouched down for the tachiai I accidentally let out a big long farrrt that resounded through the stadium.

Who wants to analyze my sumo dream? I'm owning up to a weird one here.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hello Kenning, may I trade the Kyujo Kaiju for Kirishima please.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

bessantj posted:

Hello Kenning, may I trade the Kyujo Kaiju for Kirishima please.

Pretty sure it's happening automatically for everyone, but I would also like to do this

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

some kinda jackal posted:

I woke up this morning from a dream where I was apparently a rikishi in the ring, and as I crouched down for the tachiai I accidentally let out a big long farrrt that resounded through the stadium.

Who wants to analyze my sumo dream? I'm owning up to a weird one here.

i'm pretty sure this was your brain intuiting the secret to a powerful tachiai.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does anybody else think Hokuseiho has a really bad tachiai or is it just me? It's like he stands straight up immediately at the beginning of a match. No forward momentum at all.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Vargatron posted:

Does anybody else think Hokuseiho has a really bad tachiai or is it just me? It's like he stands straight up immediately at the beginning of a match. No forward momentum at all.

it could be strategic. He's big enough that he doesn't need forward momentum to hold fast against most opponenets and he gets to use those long rear end arms to grab the mawashi of the rikishi that kindly brought himself into grip distance. i think he's learning that poo poo won't fly with a lot of opponents here.

but honestly i have no loving idea my wrestling / judo is abysmal and my sumo knowledge is somehow worse.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The thing about Hokuseiho is that he's extremely tall. He's the tallest boy and any sumo he does or gets done to him has to account for that. I really hope his matches get more dynamic as both he everyone else learn how to deal with it. But I also know gently caress-all about grappling/fighting/wrestling.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I think he’s going to hit a ceiling soon as his sheer height and size no longer cut it. We saw some inklings of that on day 2 versus Oho where he looked unsteady and struggled to maintain his footing. When he can’t move the opponent out immediately his strategy seems to be to stand and rest in the top position while he gasses out the other guy, which is not a bad strategy, but it’s only going to get him so far

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I have thought for awhile that Hokuseiho would plateau if he didn't add some explosion to his sumo. He's still so young and I'm thinking he will start trying to mix it up now that he's posting single digit KKs

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

I assume he does it as a risk mitigation strategy: can't henka a standup, and by not shifting his weight forward he can't really be slapped down immediately either. That being said, I completely agree that he's going to have to learn to put up resistance against top tier folks who can destabilize him more than his body can absorb. I think we saw a preview of what he's going to do with Kotonowaka's development - showed up with a powerful big body but somewhat passive approach, and has gradually been expanding outwards. He's still defensive, but will absolutely blow people up now if he senses weakness.

I think we should probably wait for him to put up a losing record before doom and gloom, haha.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Curious if I can get help from someone who's used buysumotickets.com before. I was going to go ahead and pre-order my tickets for September. I had originally planned on going opening day, but it seems that tickets are sold out up to 'box c'.

If I look at this picture, that doesn't seem so bad:

I'm just curious how it corresponds to this picture:

Does each 'row' of boxes correspond to the 'tiers' listed on the site? Assuming that, box c doesn't seem so bad, but if it's the seats up under the overhang I think I'd prefer to wait a day. Seats for Monday are still available in the 'a' box

I'm also interested in how cramped the boxes are for 4 adult Americans. I get the impression that the stadium seats would be very uncomfortable for person my size.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 13, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think the hanamichi is in the “back” so you’re looking at basically what you see, top-most boxes, except on the side not photographed. Almost certainly under the overhang.

They all seemed /just fine/ when I went to watch in May, though I didn’t linger since my seats were Arena A and S for both days.

The stadium seats aren’t bad at all. I’m not particularly large, 170lbs-ish, but they fit me perfectly. Consider that if you’re there for the whole day then the box would be better for two people who can stretch their legs out and while you could probably do four people in a box it would probably be cramped and uncomfortable as the day wears on since you’d need to be cross legged the entire time. BUT — but I’ve only ever done stadium seating every time I attended so I can’t really speak from personal experience.

If you give me five minutes I’ll youtube my quick Kokugikan walk around and post it.

E: This should resolve to HD eventually. I take a peek into the upper boxes right at the start of the video and again around the 1:30-ish mark. At the very end of the video I go back to my S seat so you can kind of compare and contrast the two.

Otherwise skip the video if you want to experience the Kokugikan for the first time through your own eyes rather than a lovely youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtOobkYDP64

E2: Got up to stretch my legs a bit later but essentially the same video. I think some of the boxes are more populated in this one so maybe they’ll give you a better idea, not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEPml4Ef69k

Good luck!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 13, 2023

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Day 5

Man, I'm so glad to have Nishikigi on my team for my first fantasy basho. What a joy it is to watch this pear-shaped bespectacled man take on all comers.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i rarely remember my team picks and just go for anyone who fights cool but i just checked how i'm doing and gonoyama, takayasu, and hoshoryu are loving holding it down. then there is shodai.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean that's basically the unofficial thread title.

Sumo: then there is Shodai.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

Sumo: then there is Shodai.

Lol. Closest thing to poetry I nearly wrote.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I love watching a henka fail.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Nativity In Black posted:

I love watching a henka fail.

It's why I support it as a legit move. Clean pay-off if it works. Humiliation on the dohyo and the tabloids if it fails and you don't win.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

You absolutely cannot henka without getting in their head during rituals.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Kiho and Hakuoho have been underwhelming this basho

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Granted that the sumo world had been going nuts about Hakuho being the second of his namesake, it's important to remember he's 19 and this is his fourth tournament as a pro. First in the top division. If he gets a KK, I'd say that's a satisfactory result.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Granted that the sumo world had been going nuts about Hakuho being the second of his namesake, it's important to remember he's 19 and this is his fourth tournament as a pro. First in the top division. If he gets a KK, I'd say that's a satisfactory result.

Excellent point and good to keep in mind. That loving shikona already had me expecting him to contend lol.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

In fact I'll go further and say it was a miscalculation for hakuho to do that now. He should have done it if the kid gets to ozeki like the new kiri.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If/When he gets to ozeki, they will drop the 'u'

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 14, 2023

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

In fact I'll go further and say it was a miscalculation for hakuho to do that now. He should have done it if the kid gets to ozeki like the new kiri.

I mean if Hakuho had his way the kid would have debuted with the name. That he held off for the top division took all the patience he had, and as we have seen his patience for sumo bullshit is infinite.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

If/When he gets to ozeki, they will drop the 'u'

As it should be.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Meanwhile Gonoyama has been going through makuuchi like it's jonidan, which is much more in line with what we were told to expect from Hakuoho.

And Kiho seems like he might just straight up be too small for juryo. Most of why I lump them in, aside from them being stablemates, is I think the shikona and the gold mawashi are both "calling one's shot" in a way that's just presumptuous if you don't follow through. Either one of them would break me in half easily, of course.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So Hakuoho is the real freaking deal isn't he?

This is going to be an interesting tournament.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I said it before, I'll say it again: Nishikigi yusho. Surely you'll concede he's earned it.

Day 5 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
19.5	NuclearPotato
17.5	Banana Canada
17.5	Fluffdaddy
17.5	Ice Phisherman
17.5	Marching Powder
17.5	Pakled
17.5	Tiny Bug Child
17.5	Vargatron
16.5	Brut
16.5	Eli949
16.5	GoatSeeGuy
16.5	whats for dinner
15.5	Akiosan
15.5	bessantj
15.5	Charles Gnarwin
15.5	Mode 7
15.5	Netsky
15.5	pseudodragon
14.5	Communist Thoughts
14.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
14.5	Iron Chef Nex
14.5	Khizan
14.5	Lid
13.5	Helianthus Annuus
13.5	Kenning
13.5	LlamaTrauma
13.5	Saturnine Aberrance
13.5	Teddybear
13.5	Thauros
13.5	Tochiazuma
12.5	anakha
12.5	bartolimu
12.5	MyChemicalImbalance
12.5	Robviously
11.5	Kuros
Juryo
code:
21.5	FART BOSS
20.5	rare Magic card l00k
17.5	Bentai
17.5	Crusty Nutsack
16.5	Average Lettuce
16.5	Dead Goon
16.5	NTRabbit
15.5	Boogalo
15.5	Chinook
15.5	Takuan
14.5	Ben Nerevarine
14.5	Eldoop
14.5	Gaghskull
14.5	oldskool
14.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
14.5	Single Tight Female
14.5	Xerzes
13.5	Fearless
13.5	Nativity In Black
12.5	Log082
12.5	PJ
12.5	QuasiQuack
11.5	ImplicitAssembler
11.5	Octatonic
10.5	Medenmath
9.5	ratmosphere

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Kenning posted:

I said it before, I'll say it again: Nishikigi yusho. Surely you'll concede he's earned it.

Day 5 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
11.5	Kuros

:negative: everything looked so good on paper.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Meanwhile Gonoyama has been going through makuuchi like it's jonidan, which is much more in line with what we were told to expect from Hakuoho.

Gonoyama needs to be tearing through the lower ranks if he wants to be something. Dude's 25, if he can't win now, hes never going to. His peer group is Kotonowaka and Hoshoryu. And he's even behind Hiradoumi, Oho and Hokuseiho who are all 2 years younger.

There's like one guy in Hakuoho's year in upper Makushita and the vast majority of his peers are Sadaname or lower. Just holding his own is crazy good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kuros posted:

:negative: everything looked so good on paper.

Your brand of sumo is terrible. But honourable.