Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

the remasters of FF1 forget that the flying fortress was supposed to be high-tech, and all the weird robots were supposed to foreshadow this element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

the remasters of FF1 forget that the flying fortress was supposed to be high-tech, and all the weird robots were supposed to foreshadow this element.

Luckily Jack Garland gets the full sci-fi experience with fortresses and stuff

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"The fantasy setting is actually the aftermath of the collapse of a highly technified civilization whose remnants the inhabitants don't fully understand and treat as mythology" is pretty much one of the essential elements of Final Fantasy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Isn't Jenova literally a space alien that crashes into the planet and cause problems???

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Isn't Jenova literally a space alien that crashes into the planet and cause problems???

Oh yeah, i guess that one is an alien. I thought it was just a yin/yang situation with the cetra

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Lavos in Chrono Trigger goes through a whole discovery process where it starts as a world-ending underground kaiju, to a summoned monster by an ancient civilization, to a big alien bug that fell out of the sky, to a weird bird alien in a space suit inside the bug.

Parts of that remind me of Iconoclasts now that I think of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Iconoclasts is a real gem and I love how the final boss is basically a bird alien version of Robin, it's even wielding a giant wrench

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The final boss of Iconoclasts is a gas station mechanic. I'm pretty sure that's the near-literal intended reading.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The final boss of Iconoclasts is a gas station mechanic. I'm pretty sure that's the near-literal intended reading.

I think it's a more a gas station customer but yeah. The planet exists to serve as a fuel repository, the aliens didn't expect its native life to figure out how to consume the fuel themselves

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

YggiDee posted:

realizing Jenova is basically John Carpenter's The Thing made me love FFVII just that much more

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Random sci-fi bullshit in your swords and sorcery game is, if anything, a genre staple. Final Fantasy has it too, for example. Wizardry, maybe not so much, but it did have blenders and elevators and other modern anachronisms.

Basically just realize that the people making these games had no editors, so they were free to stick in whatever they wanted. And what they wanted was more of the stuff they personally enjoyed, which was fantasy and sci-fi.

mostly new to me. aside from the aforementioned Final Fantasy's and one Sword of Shannara book i read... i havent seen it a lot

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
And there's Ultima which is a sword-and-sorcery series except when you defeat an evil computer with punch cards, or go to Mars. There's the Pern books which start out as a feudal fantasy setting with magic dragons, but its thousands of years in the future and the magic dragons were genetically engineered by the humans that settled on the planet. There's a whole range between Sci-Fi and fantasy, and in tabletop RPGs there's poo poo like Spelljammer, Shadowrun, Warhammer (both kinds) I think the biggest difference is whether you call your weird power "psychic" or "magic"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
It's pretty easy to use nanomachines as ersatz-magic in a cyberpunk setting, too

*did I use that word right?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The biggest difference is if you call your money "credits" or "gil"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Final Fantasy IV: Aliens lived on a planet between Mars and Jupiter until it exploded and they all came to Earth, but it was occupied so they made a second moon and are in suspended animation until the two species can co-exist

Final Fantasy V: Intedimensional travel is done by teleportation pads hidden in meteorites

FFVI: To the best of my knowledge, no aliens?

FFVII: Jenova is literally an alien literally from space

FFVIII: Monsters live on the moon and also "magic" had been replicated with modern technology and also what the gently caress are GFs anyway. Also there's an alien named PuPu who is very very lost

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

It's pretty easy to use nanomachines as ersatz-magic in a cyberpunk setting, too

*did I use that word right?

I think so but we don't really use that word much anymore. I prefer its synonym:

"It's pretty slutty to use nanomachines as ersatz-magic in a cyberpunk setting, too"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

YggiDee posted:

and also what the gently caress are GFs anyway.

the FFVIII audience, both fans and haters, have zero loving clue. same with those magical spirits you can summon

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

GFs are essentially living energy, who typically can only manifest physically within certain energy fields. By hijacking a bit of a living creature's brain and using it as a battery, their host can manifest it outside of those energy fields.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
FF6 doesn't have any aliens, but it does have the espers, who have their own parallel society that we get to see a little of. Also it has Adlai Stevenson Gogo.

In terms of sci-fi, though, it's much closer to FF7: technology is a well-understood concept that has been fairly thoroughly integrated into society. The highest-tech location in the game is a research and Mengele facility that was built by and is in active use by the antagonists.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What about FXIII? What is even going on there? What is technology and what is --- whatever is going on there

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

credburn posted:

What about FXIII? What is even going on there? What is technology and what is --- whatever is going on there

I'm currently playing through this, and from what I gather the fal'cie are basically divine beings who bestow all of the tech (along with everything else, including basic needs like food and shelter) to humans. There might be humans who carry themselves as scientists, but it's essentially aliens treating humans like pets. Or raising them like livestock.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

A realization brought on by Sonic Frontiers, but I feel like this is accurate in all games:

The best kind of collectible are songs for a jukebox or playlist function. Especially if it's a game in a long-running franchise that can stuff the whole thing with their own back catalog.

Agree

Assassins creed black flag when i found out that if i caught the floaty bastards the crew would sing different sea shanties was wonderful

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man, I need to get back into Black Flag. I started it but got distracted by other stuff. I've been doing way more handheld stuff lately, maybe grabbing the Switch port is the way to go.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My favorite fantasy/sci-fi blending was always Might & Magic 6 and 7. Going from whatever weapons you were trained in to running through everything spamming laser rifles and pistols to disintegrate everything was a fun victory lap.

Then you forget to get the scroll before initiating the ending and :getin:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
One of my favorite things about Black Flag is how Edward spends a solid 85% of the game actively avoiding becoming an Assassin until it aligned with his interests.

Really drove home the ‘gently caress you got mine’ vibe of piracy.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Quote is not edit :smith:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Black Flag has a weird reveal where the girl you spend much of the game with is revealed to be a woman??. It's not that well hidden :confused:

I mean I don't mean to like, gender folks on archtypes. It's just... it was real weirdly obvious? Eh

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Sonic Frontiers, I like that when fishing, whether you catch a measly goldfish, a whopping sailfish, or a big ol tire Sonic still gets the same excited grin on his face. Also catching trash still gets you tokens, usually a bunch. Its great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

YggiDee posted:

FFVIII: Monsters live on the moon and also "magic" had been replicated with modern technology and also what the gently caress are GFs anyway. Also there's an alien named PuPu who is very very lost

I'm not surprised those playing Final Fantasy don't know what a GF is.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

credburn posted:

Black Flag has a weird reveal where the girl you spend much of the game with is revealed to be a woman??. It's not that well hidden :confused:

I mean I don't mean to like, gender folks on archtypes. It's just... it was real weirdly obvious? Eh

the whole "pirate was secretly a woman" thing is quite a well-trodden part of Pirate Lore so i guess they wanted to a) make it reeeeeeal obvious for their audience, and b) try not to cause more technical overhead (e.g. different models for post-reveal)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They should have given her a big bushy beard imo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ashsaber posted:

Sonic Frontiers, I like that when fishing, whether you catch a measly goldfish, a whopping sailfish, or a big ol tire Sonic still gets the same excited grin on his face. Also catching trash still gets you tokens, usually a bunch. Its great.

Absolutely love when you catch a sunfish and it looks like it has little Sonic legs

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samovar posted:

I'm not surprised those playing Final Fantasy don't know what a GF is.

Lol nice

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

credburn posted:

Reminds me of AC2 where Ezio is shocked and amazed that all of the people that taught him how to be an assassin...are assassins!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Always reminded of this ProZD clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN9DW4rrEjY

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

credburn posted:

It's been a while since I played Black Flag, but I'm pretty sure that was based on real events.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Read

quote:

Read was born in England in 1685. She began dressing as a boy at a young age, at first at her mother's urging in order to receive inheritance money and then as a teenager in order to join the British military. She then married and upon her husband's death moved to the West Indies around 1715. In 1720, she met Jack Rackham and joined his crew, dressing as a man alongside Anne Bonny.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Jul 14, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's fine to have stuff that is apparent to us but not the characters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
For what it's worth, a lot of pulp-era fantasy/sci-fi had a lot of blending the two together. Scientists using magic, fantasy heroes fighting aliens. Conan's still wearing that dichotomy on its sleeve, but you could argue the main relic of that is actually superhero comics and their general willingness to go 'gently caress it, sure, Superman can fight both robots and wizards'.

So fantasy settings going sci-fi out of nowhere is a pretty classic thing, actually!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Pseudohog posted:

My favourite little thing is that the sea shanty pages won't run away if you're not looking at them - so rather than walking up to them normally, them flying off and you having to chase them, you can just remember where they are, turn around and walk backwards over to where they are, and presto! Shanty collected.
:pirate: I had no idea you could do this!

sebmojo posted:

They should have given her a big bushy beard imo
This, but it should be fake with an incredibly obvious string holding it on. None of the characters should notice or comment on it however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's a movie that came out in '77 that did pretty well by mixing magic and spaceships.