Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Reposting from the GPU thread

kliras posted:

nvidia vsr (video super res) will be available for firefox in version 116 later this month btw: flip gfx.webrender.super-resolution.nvidia to true in about :config to get ready for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Has anyone else noticed an uptick in crashes since the "crashcache the world" update? It's been a few releases now and I'm still having random crashes once a week or so. Before the CtW update I can't remember the last time the browser crashed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Harik posted:

Has anyone else noticed an uptick in crashes since the "crashcache the world" update? It's been a few releases now and I'm still having random crashes once a week or so. Before the CtW update I can't remember the last time the browser crashed.

What's cache the world?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Harik posted:

No, but I'm on linux and apparently that feature isn't fully enabled here.

If you don't actually need accessibility features you can set accessibility.force_disabled to 1 to turn off the whole engine.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's cache the world?

A major rebuild of the accessibility engine (ie screenreaders for the blind and such).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks to Chris Siebenmann over on Mastodon I learned how I can prevent pdf.js from opening the sidebar automatically.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Is this the thread to bitch about Thunderbird's redesign? It just seems so much more compact/busy/harder to read.

I know I've become pretty curmudgeonly after like 15+ years of using Thunderbird, but ugh.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

A major rebuild of the accessibility engine (ie screenreaders for the blind and such).

Weird name for it, is there a story there?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Weird name for it, is there a story there?

From a random internet article: "It’s called that because the new engine automatically sends information from web content processes to a cache in the browser’s main process for consumption by assistive technologies."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Youtube pushed another awful A/B test of their increasingly lovely interface on me and I'm trying to find a way to fix it.

The only thing I managed to find was this
https://github.com/sapondanaisriwan/AdashimaaTube
but I just can't make it work.

Does anyone else happen to use that and might have any idea what the problem might be, or has any other suggestions for what might unfuck Youtube's interface back how how it used to be?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I use YouTube Redux, no idea if it'll help you. I'm utterly sick of having to install things to make the YouTube website work on something other than a phone held portrait.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Knormal posted:

Menu bars 4 lyfe.

No real reason, just inertia and I'm used to where things are in there, even though I rarely use them.

Unified menu bars on macOS are one of those things that slightly bug me, like having to click to focus a window before allowing me to interact with it, that’s never going to change because it’s been a part of their GUI since the beginning.

They made perfect sense at 512 × 342 but not on widescreen retina displays

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a Youtube video playback problem. Youtube videos keeps flipping out when I switch between other programs, or resize the window or popout window I'm viewing the youtube video in. If the video is popped out, it will also get closed by itself and return to the youtube tab. Has anyone else been having issues like this? This is a brand new Windows 11 PC btw. I was wondering if there was a Firefox update lately that's been causing this, because my older Windows 10 PC didn't have any problem with running multiple programs at all.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

god please help me posted:

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a Youtube video playback problem. Youtube videos keeps flipping out when I switch between other programs, or resize the window or popout window I'm viewing the youtube video in. If the video is popped out, it will also get closed by itself and return to the youtube tab. Has anyone else been having issues like this? This is a brand new Windows 11 PC btw. I was wondering if there was a Firefox update lately that's been causing this, because my older Windows 10 PC didn't have any problem with running multiple programs at all.

Use Linux.

That's a semi-serious answer.

A more serious one would be, are your graphics drivers updated? Do videos on other sites do the same thing?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I've spent some time experimenting on Vimeo, and however they are set up, they are much more solidly built. At worst upon me attempting to replicate the same steps that causes youtube videos to crash reliably (drag resizing the Firefox window back and forth wildly) has only resulted in a few white flashes, one video restart, and one downgrade to automatic video quality. Getting bored of trying to get Vimeo to crash, I decided to simultaneously play a youtube video and experiment with it as well, which caused both the youtube player and Vimeo player to crash at the same time. Maybe Youtube pushed an update that is really good at crashing Firefox's entire video playing ability? So to answer your question, I think that some other websites could be affected as well, but however youtube playback works, it seems to be excellent at crashing more so than others.

I have a Beelink GTR7 with integrated graphics. I'll search for any firmware updates in the meanwhile.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The fact that its just YouTube is weird, I wonder if its something to do with the CODECs in use. Have you tried enabling/disabling hardware acceleration?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Youtube pushed another awful A/B test of their increasingly lovely interface on me and I'm trying to find a way to fix it.

The only thing I managed to find was this
https://github.com/sapondanaisriwan/AdashimaaTube
but I just can't make it work.

Does anyone else happen to use that and might have any idea what the problem might be, or has any other suggestions for what might unfuck Youtube's interface back how how it used to be?

I ended up also having big issues with Youtube search results having absolutely nothing to do with my actual search prompt.

I tried a ton of things and in the end, deleting all my cookies related to Youtube actually fixed both issues.

Now I wish I backed them up first, because I'm very curious about which exact cookie was that it hosed up the whole functionality of Youtube for me.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Do you use ublock with firefox?
I have noticed that the popout video closes when ublock skips an add. Youtube seems to inject the ads in middle of videos. Another thing could be gpu driver. Check if it's updated or try disabling hw acceleration in firefox.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Bertha the Toaster posted:

The fact that its just YouTube is weird, I wonder if its something to do with the CODECs in use. Have you tried enabling/disabling hardware acceleration?

I have now tried disabling hardware accelerating from the default enabled. Upon experimentation, it was not hard at all to force Youtube into a freezing and crashing by mildly twice resizing the window from a small size into a full screen size. Darn.

MikusR posted:

Do you use ublock with firefox?
I have noticed that the popout video closes when ublock skips an add. Youtube seems to inject the ads in middle of videos. Another thing could be gpu driver. Check if it's updated or try disabling hw acceleration in firefox.

I do indeed have Ublock! Upon testing Firefox's troubleshooting mode which disables all extensions/add-ons, youtube video playback works fine. If ublock origin is the issue, this will suck because ublock is very useful for keeping Youtube usable. How strange of an issue for ublock to start having all of a sudden...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I use https://mybrowseraddon.com/adblocker-for-youtube.html to get rid of YouTube ads and it works flawlessly.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I use https://mybrowseraddon.com/adblocker-for-youtube.html to get rid of YouTube ads and it works flawlessly.

Or we could just keep using uBlock origin which has worked perfectly for many years on every site including YouTube.

And unlike that extension, the author has proven trustworthy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

wooger posted:

Or we could just keep using uBlock origin which has worked perfectly for many years on every site including YouTube.

uBlock doesn't block anything on YouTube for me - is there a way to configure it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

uBlock doesn't block anything on YouTube for me - is there a way to configure it?

I just went into the settings and turned on every filter list that comes with it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think i have default filters on and it blocks youtube ads

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

I have now tried disabling hardware accelerating from the default enabled. Upon experimentation, it was not hard at all to force Youtube into a freezing and crashing by mildly twice resizing the window from a small size into a full screen size. Darn.

I do indeed have Ublock! Upon testing Firefox's troubleshooting mode which disables all extensions/add-ons, youtube video playback works fine. If ublock origin is the issue, this will suck because ublock is very useful for keeping Youtube usable. How strange of an issue for ublock to start having all of a sudden...

Other random question,uBlock, or uBlock Origin? No idea if it would make a difference but uBlock Origin is the preferred one AFAIK.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
It is. Ublock Origin is the OG, Ublock is the for-profit fork made to trick people who can't tell the difference that sells blocklist exceptions to advertisers

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
uBlock not-Origin isn't even on the Mozilla extensions site anymore. You'd have to go really out of your way to be using that these days.

However, I doubt uBlock is causing the browser to crash when resizing a window with video. TBQH I'd look at video drivers, including doing a full wipe of old drivers with DDU.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

armpit_enjoyer posted:

It is. Ublock Origin is the OG, Ublock is the for-profit fork made to trick people who can't tell the difference that sells blocklist exceptions to advertisers
IIRC Gorhill abandoned uBlock and gave it to another developer. Who then started doing stupid things, so Gorhill came back with uBlock Origin.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MikusR posted:

IIRC Gorhill abandoned uBlock and gave it to another developer. Who then started doing stupid things, so Gorhill came back with uBlock Origin.

Eh, the only "stupid thing" the new dev did was heavily soliciting donations.

Which is like, the reason gorhill gave it away was that running a super-popular piece of software was too much work. He was gonna go back to uMatrix and not deal with the lamers and newbies who are annoying to support. But then he got pissed that the new guy was trying to get money, for dealing with the poo poo that he didn't want to deal with?

AFAIK not-Origin has never been guilty of mal- or spyware poo poo. It's just a bad adblocker that's not maintained at all.

(Gorhill seems like the really difficult & goony type of nerd... but that's exactly the type I want running an adblock extension. The type who'd rather abandon chrome out of spite, even if that loses most of his users, than kowtow to google.)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've seen some reports of YouTube trying to push some thing where they'll stop letting you play more than three videos with an adblocker on and everyone saying ublock origin was also affected turned out to have some other YouTube customization add-on installed. I guess if ublock origin doesn't block ads on YouTube for you, maybe some other add-on is loving you over, idk.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wooger posted:

I use that extension and it works great. I've also personally inspected the code [as of a year or two ago] and there is no funny business there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've seen some reports of YouTube trying to push some thing where they'll stop letting you play more than three videos with an adblocker on and everyone saying ublock origin was also affected turned out to have some other YouTube customization add-on installed. I guess if ublock origin doesn't block ads on YouTube for you, maybe some other add-on is loving you over, idk.

It's a random A/B experiment so far. I haven't seen anyone do a breakdown on how the adblock blocker actually works, just people reporting they got blocked. As long as it's a random A/B it's very hard to assign credit or blame to some addon.

OTOH the fact that youtube has never been able to block youtube-dl / yt-dlp says to me that their poo poo will be completely avoidable -- probably by ublock itself blocking the script that detects the adblocking. If they could effectively and unavoidably stop people from watching youtubes with an adblock, they'd easily be able to stop a downloader.

Anyways, google is thinking a little bigger now. This proposal is basically DRM the entire internet for authorized (ie without adblock) browsers only.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Other random question,uBlock, or uBlock Origin? No idea if it would make a difference but uBlock Origin is the preferred one AFAIK.

Definitely Ublock Origin. It normally works wonderfully, but troubleshooting mode is pointing towards Ublock Origin being the problem... :ohdear:

Klyith posted:

However, I doubt uBlock is causing the browser to crash when resizing a window with video. TBQH I'd look at video drivers, including doing a full wipe of old drivers with DDU.

Just a small clarification: Firefox isn't crashing entirely, it's only the youtube video playback that is crashing. But oh boy how Youtube is crashing. I'm able to crash youtube's player by just mildly scrolling down on a different program I have open (Clip Studio, if anyone wants to know).

Thank you for the link, btw! I'll try to get in contact with Beelink, my PC manufacturer before attempting to reinstall video drivers. I think the GTR7 mini pc uses some sort of custom AMD drivers, because I couldn't find anything yet for the Ryzen 7 7840HS yet.

I'm going to experiment more and see if NoScript, another extension I have, is causing the issue.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Quackles posted:

I use that extension and it works great. I've also personally inspected the code [as of a year or two ago] and there is no funny business there.

It might work great, but surely 100% of people interested in blocking ads (everywhere) already have ublock origin installed, which already does the exact same thing perfectly.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

wooger posted:

It might work great, but surely 100% of people interested in blocking ads (everywhere) already have ublock origin installed, which already does the exact same thing perfectly.

I have uBlock Origin installed with all the default settings and it doesn't block YouTube ads though. Am I missing a setting?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have uBlock Origin installed with all the default settings and it doesn't block YouTube ads though. Am I missing a setting?

Pretty sure it worked by default for me, but I can recommend trying the Enhanced or Pro recommendations here

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wooger posted:

I also have uBlock Origin, as well. (I also use nuTensor, which is a fork of uMatrix. Yes, all three apps are running at once. I'm techie.)

I have found that some YouTube ads, and only YouTube ads, slip through uBlock Origin. That's why I installed the YouTube ad blocker extension.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Quackles posted:

I also have uBlock Origin, as well. (I also use nuTensor, which is a fork of uMatrix. Yes, all three apps are running at once. I'm techie.)

I have found that some YouTube ads, and only YouTube ads, slip through uBlock Origin. That's why I installed the YouTube ad blocker extension.

If that happens (and isn’t just caused by the 3 overlapping redundant extensions you have), it’s just a matter of updating or adding to your blocklist subscriptions in uBlock.

This hasn’t happened to me ever - maybe if you don’t restart Firefox for months or something?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Klyith posted:

It's a random A/B experiment so far. I haven't seen anyone do a breakdown on how the adblock blocker actually works, just people reporting they got blocked. As long as it's a random A/B it's very hard to assign credit or blame to some addon.

This was my impression as well. So far all my devices can access youtube while blocking ads, except the tv, which uses the youtube app. I suppose if I cared I would have looked into a solution for the tv, but since there's no browser to interact with as a vector for malware, I don't worry too much about it.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Update on the youtube player crash: I was mistaken! It seems that NoScript is the extension responsible. Apologies to uBlock and its coders for the blame...

This substantially reduces my fear about having purchased a mini PC from Aliexpress that doesn't work (customer service/tech support with a language barrier can be a pain). I'm glad enough that the problem seems like it's easy enough to avoid by just disabling NoScript when I'm on youtube. I'm pretty sure that Youtube isn't going to inject malicious scripts when I'm unprotected, but god knows.

NoScript's usually been pretty good to me, but I assume there's some sort of development behind the scenes that they're tinkering with. The latest NoScript update is yesterday. Maybe I'll send them a message about this sort of issue. This time I took the youtube debug info down about the crash:

quote:

"debug_error": "{\"errorCode\":\"fmt.decode\",\"errorMessage\":\"An error occurred. Please try again later.\",\"qM\":\"GENERIC_WITHOUT_LINK\",\"II\":\"vct.271.648;vd.1109.961;vpl.260.456-271.648;vbu.260.001-306.173;vpa.0;vsk.0;ven.0;vpr.1;vrs.4;vns.1;vec.3;vemsg.NS_ERROR_DOM_MEDIA_DECODE_ERR (0x806e0004) - RefPtr<MediaDataDecoder__DecodePromise> __cdecl mozilla__WMFMediaDataDecoder__ProcessError(HRESULT_ const char *)_ MFTManager__Output(2)_80004005;vvol.1;vdom.1;vsrc.1;vw.569;vh.320;mediaElem.1\",\"wG\":1,\"cpn\":\"D3kPo9RRCZcxp8yL\"}",

Once again, uBlock continues to do a good job blocking youtube ads by default. I wouldn't want to use youtube without it. I'm going to keep experimenting with this issue to make sure, because I need background videos for my workflow, but so far I'm very relieved that this seems to be purely a software issue, and not a hardware issue. I'm also glad I didn't have to install google Chrome just for watching Youtube. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
uBlock can do everything NoScript can do (ie, block javascript frames etc), and does it better.

Turn on advanced mode in uBlock and learn a slightly different UI that's far more powerful, ditch noscript.