Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pike give T’Pring’s dad the “you got it, pal” finger point when he asked for that one dish might be my absolute favorite moment of the entire show so far

The poor guy has just been awoken to the power of a little bit of extra salt in your meal after decades of eating meals perfectly recreated with exacting detail from a recipe book that must never be altered from (kinda like the archeological guy penalizing Chapel for not just repeating the text verbatim!), I so hope he managed to get the recipe from Pike :3:

Pinterest Mom posted:

When you hear "your mother is beaming aboard", that's when you know it's a 10/10 star trek.

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Spock not trusting that his being suddenly fully human wouldn't just be another thing T'Pring has to deal with, and another thing too much, worked as a moment of truth for me. I don't know where I got this idea, but I thought that not every truth has to be shared during a mind meld, so it'd only come up if T'Pring's mind wandered. Also, it was great the way he revealed the whole ruse after the mind meld memory

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 14, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DaveWoo posted:

Episode premise felt a little hokey even by '60s Trek standards, but they made it work.

That's part of its charm! I really appreciate that they tried for it, and even more that they pulled it off.

quote:

they are "of kherkov". that was probably an intentional reference to the bajoran wormhole aliens

Can you think of a country that's been in the news a lot the last year+, whose second-largest city is Kharkiv, and whose colors are yellow and blue?

Aces High posted:

I liked that T'Pring took Spock to task for chickening out on telling her what actually happened to him. I was honestly quite surprised when he choked at the last minute to tell her, especially after she told him all the crap she was already putting up with.

Spock's a crappy partner

Nahhh. It was because of the impending mind meld with her mother. But that's the logical reason. Spock was responding to her on an emotional level, which was the right thing to do even as one Vulcan to another. She's not wrong to feel hurt and distrusted, but applying logic to that simply isn't going to help. It never has and never will. So even with his Vulcan side back, Spock responds emotionally. I have to respect the writers for having Spock use logic while he is fully human, emotion as a Vulcan, and that having an emotional impact on T'pring. That's really leaning into the potential of Humans and Vulcans for storytelling.

It's for the sake of little moments like that, and all of Pike's subtle reactions, and Spock's friends telling him how to act Vulcan, and all the rest that they went with a basic "overbearing mother and overpowered dad" standard-issue plot. The episode had that in it, but it wasn't about that at all. That plot just formed the backdrop for everything else that was going on. We got a ton of great character moments, one great bit after another.

Poor Spock, he's got two tragedies in his future. Two great loves that he will fail.

I'ma just spoiler that on general principles. Goddamned great episode. I love that they keep doing great episodes that are very different from each other. Please don't gently caress this up Paramount, this show has legs.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Spock's mom reminded me a bit of Megan Mullally which made me want to see her in the role instead. Something seemed a bit off about her performance but I guess she may have been going for that as a human playing a human playing a Vulcan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ethan Peck flexing some range this week good lord

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo, Spock’s mom is Naked Mandy from 24!

Amanda Grayson. She might literally be Mandy from 24.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I love that Vulcan engagement rituals include a portion where your future in-laws tell you all the faults they perceive in you. It’s perfect.

And yeah looks like Mia Kirshner was Spock’s mom and she did a great job.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

I liked this episode even though it was just cookie cutter sitcom BS. We're 5/5 this season on someone crying and The Cave looked a bit junky but I laughed at all the funny parts and had all the audience reactions they sought to get from each beat. Not bad, not great, just average enjoyable 90s television.

Also Anson Mount chewed on every scene like it was a fatty steak. Why is that dude so loving good at his job?

Really what I think sold me on this show is just how much of an amiable goof Christopher Pike is. Mount found this great cool-dad energy to him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t want this masterpiece to be forgotten

Once again SNW hits it out of the park. I really appreciated the TOS music sting when Spock is told what happened to him

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Also the music in the ceremony was a low key rendition of the Amok Time fight music

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also the music in the ceremony was a low key rendition of the Amok Time fight music

I also noticed this and laughed.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
So, after some of Spock’s comments about his emotions in this episode, I interpret the whole “Vulcans have more powerful emotions than humans” thing as this: Vulcan do experience overwhelming emotions, but only one at a time. Humans, though they have relatively ‘muted’ emotions, they experience them all at once, including the ones that conflict.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I loved every second of that episode. Just such a delight all the way through. Ethan Peck really is an absolute treasure as Spock. This whole episode I thinking about how much Leonard Nimoy would have had a ball doing this if they did it back in the 60. Just a great Spock episode all over.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I caught that and it was a great choice.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Anson Mount just doing crazy good background work in this one

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stuart scott posted:

The scene in the transporter room where he tries to walk out and the door closes in his face and he just befuddlely starts bending and twisting like he's trying to get the motion sensor to notice him so it'll open again was loving hilarious. It felt like an outtake that was too good to cut because Mount didn't actually somehow ruin the scene with it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Regarding the last scene of that episode: That was the hardest I've gone "squee" since Jim and Pam kissed! Another great ep.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

"Don't test me, Kirk, I will break you!"

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Loved everything about this episode. Good lord everyone in the cast is so hot. Anson hamming it up in the background of every ceremony shot is peak television.

Bit of speculation though and maybe a set up for how things turn out later on, could Spock have actually requested to the Kerkohvian's to remove his Vulcan side? Would explain why they were so confused by others wanting to turn him back after the change, they state repeatedly that some sort of consent was already given and approved. Also would set up Chapel likely ending the relationship later on down the track if Spock tells her, which he may have been trying to do at the end of the episode. Changing your physiology to pursue a relationship would be probably a huge no-no for her.

Can't stop thinking about how pumped Vulcan dad was for getting some salt in his life, living with T'Pring's mum would be torture. Incredible show.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Wee Bairns posted:

"Don't test me, Kirk, I will break you!"

I have felt this way when encountering mess that the maker refuses to address in a timely fashion.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Since I hadn't seen any of Disco, I wasn't prepared for how much Mia Kirshner looks like Jane Wyatt.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I loved this episode so so much. It was actually better than the previews suggested and it was an extremely TOS concept played up as a great farce.

Also I can understand Spock having complex feelings but otoh I would burn entire cities to the ground for T'Pring

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Also I can understand Spock having complex feelings but otoh I would burn entire cities to the ground for T'Pring

It's a previosuly one-note character, played by an excellent actor, with great material. Every episode she's been in has been gold.

And I have to admit, as straight, cis, male as I am, that I loved her outfit. It was a three hour argument, but she won. I'd go to the mat for it as well.

Anson Mount's Emmy reel this year is just going to be this episode.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

stuart scott posted:

Mount Anson may be diminished, but he still holds true. Did they cut back on the hair styling budget?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I talked to a Trek nerd who said this episode means the show is either an AU or will have some kind of a mind wipe in the future because in Amok Time, Chapel doesn't recognize T'Pring (saying as much on-camera) and didn't know Spock was engaged. I'm not a ToS-head so I thought I'd throw that out there and see what you folks think.

Also if this is the last we get to see of SNW due to the strike and P+ and whatnot, I really hope Mount moves on to a leading role in a long-lasting series where he gets to just do exactly the same thing he's currently doing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ninurta posted:

Did they cut back on the hair styling budget?

No.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

La'an slowly realizing that Spock was checking her out cracked me up, it was so awkward.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DaveKap posted:

I talked to a Trek nerd who said this episode means the show is either an AU or will have some kind of a mind wipe in the future because in Amok Time, Chapel doesn't recognize T'Pring (saying as much on-camera) and didn't know Spock was engaged. I'm not a ToS-head so I thought I'd throw that out there and see what you folks think.

Also if this is the last we get to see of SNW due to the strike and P+ and whatnot, I really hope Mount moves on to a leading role in a long-lasting series where he gets to just do exactly the same thing he's currently doing.

It could be easy for her to forget. She didn't exactly interact much with T'pring in this episode.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Catering $200
Crew $150
Visual Effects $800
Hairspray $3,600
Costuming $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my series is dying

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I regret to inform you that parts of the internet are trying to make Spock eating bacon the outrage of the day because Leonard Nimoy was Jewish.

Yeah...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

La'an slowly realizing that Spock was checking her out cracked me up, it was so awkward.

That scene was brilliant. Christina Chong didn't have as many character moments as Anson Mount, but she nailed the ones she did get.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
There was a bit in the shuttle that made me actually laugh out loud and I can't remember it now!
What a great episode, I'm so surprised they did such a good job

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

That scene was brilliant. Christina Chong didn't have as many character moments as Anson Mount, but she nailed the ones she did get.

The scene where they were teaching him to talk like a Vulcan was so funny.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Regulation beanie killed me. The Spock helmet photoshop is an all-timer

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Star Trek retcons things whenever it suits the writers so probably there won’t be any mind wipe.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Parkingtigers posted:

I regret to inform you that parts of the internet are trying to make Spock eating bacon the outrage of the day because Leonard Nimoy was Jewish.

Yeah...

https://youtu.be/3CwHISOKIrY

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

Yeah...
If there was ever one thing I remember Nimoy bringing to the roll of Spock, it was all the Jewish heritage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DaveKap posted:

If there was ever one thing I remember Nimoy bringing to the roll of Spock, it was all the Jewish heritage.

Well he actually kinda did, there's a lot of Jewish stuff and vibe in Vulcan depiction thanks to him. Even the Vulcan salute is based on a sign made in a Jewish priestly blessing.

But yeah people online getting 'inspired by' and 'actually is' crossed is the worst.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I would say if anything broke the rules here, it's that apparently across the franchise Vulcans have been portrayed as vegetarians (except that one group of them who aren't.) Memory Alpha says T'Pol and Spock are both vegetarians but I guess since he became human, he wasn't vegetarian anymore!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyp9fh-u4w8

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

MikeJF posted:

Well he actually kinda did, there's a lot of Jewish stuff and vibe in Vulcan depiction thanks to him. Even the Vulcan salute is based on a sign made in a Jewish priestly blessing.

But yeah people online getting 'inspired by' and 'actually is' crossed is the worst.

This got me thinking... have we seen the Vulcan salute lately? Has Spock used it in SNW?