Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

So I have a question about nightmare dungeons.

I am level 67. Everyone says you basically* want to do enemies 3 levels up. So that, using math I know, is level 70.

If I use a tier 17 sacred sigil, I get level 70 enemies, but all the stuff online says it’s your level - 51 and the calculators say I should use 16. So are they wrong or am I? Did they change this, or is it different with ancestral sigils, or does nobody else understand subtraction?

Sacred sigils are monster level = tier +53 and Ancestral is +54.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
E: yeah what Swilo said

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

So I have a question about nightmare dungeons.

I am level 67. Everyone says you basically* want to do enemies 3 levels up. So that, using math I know, is level 70.

If I use a tier 17 sacred sigil, I get level 70 enemies, but all the stuff online says it’s your level - 51 and the calculators say I should use 16. So are they wrong or am I? Did they change this, or is it different with ancestral sigils, or does nobody else understand subtraction?

The monster level is 50 + WT + NM tier. So in WT3 it's 53+NM and in WT4 it's 54+NM. That's why they're off by 1. In practice, this means you do -50 for NM<=20 (because those are on WT3) and -51 for 21 and above in WT4.

Edit: what do you think they'll call sacred/ancestral in WT5?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

SettingSun posted:

I can only do D1 speedruns to feel anything so I can't comment.

where can I watch

loving my hellfire barbarian(s) I had to remake him at 35 cos I got hit by a black death

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

King Cocoa Butter posted:

Edit: what do you think they'll call sacred/ancestral in WT5?

No need to think really. I am 99% they're gonna call it Ancient

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mustached Demon posted:

It's set like 50 years after Malthael killed off like most of humanity.

Demons don't die they just get sent to time out. Angels probably work the same way I dunno. They eventually come back. Diablo came back so fast in 3 because he had help from his mortal squeeze Adria.

Demons go on time out and come back as the same demon. Angels return their power/energy/whatever to the Crystal Arch which allows a new, equally powerful angel to be created in their place

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Gwaihir posted:

This lol, it's not hard.

yeah there's no world where they weren't aware of what the meta affixes would be on items

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

I'm tired of being owned by Butt-Head!!!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Not for nothing, but this campaign is actually pretty well written, and I wasn't really expecting that.
Stark contrast to the nonsense that was D3's campaign.

I have not played Diablo 1, 2 or 3 so I don't know anything about this franchise, but I got my moneys worth just from the campaign and questing in the world. It's been great.

I still don't understand the "endgame" or what seasons are supposed to be but I assume it's just repetition of content like in an MMO or something? I should be at the end of the main story since I'm level 50 and in act 5, so we'll see if the "endgame" is anything I care about

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Collapsing Farts posted:

I have not played Diablo 1, 2 or 3 so I don't know anything about this franchise, but I got my moneys worth just from the campaign and questing in the world. It's been great.

I still don't understand the "endgame" or what seasons are supposed to be but I assume it's just repetition of content like in an MMO or something? I should be at the end of the main story since I'm level 50 and in act 5, so we'll see if the "endgame" is anything I care about

The important part is that you feel like you got enough out of the game to justify the cost.

What constitutes as "endgame" will vary a bit person to person, but the general consensus right now is that endgame consists of helltides,
nightmare dungeons, and Uber lilleth.

Seasons are typically 12-13 week cycles where you'll have a large content patch drop, and to experience the new content, you'll have to start from scratch*

* in this game, cosmetics will transfer between seasons and so will up to 2 tiers of renown progress, whatever fog of war you uncovered. And lilleth statues collected.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

War Wizard posted:

Do we know how the suppressor elite affix is broken and if there's any plan on fixing it? Sorry if this has already been asked but I can't find much about it. It's killed several runs having an opponent immune to everything but base damage.

Ah Corpsefire, how I (don't) miss ye.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Aspects should have been skills in the skill tree.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Aspects are a cool system actually.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

Aspects should have been skills in the skill tree.

I really liked D3s skill system with swapping between the 6 variants. The skills in this felt way too static.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If anyone is not looking forward to leveling again and want to make it as efficient as possible, Raxx has it down to a science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlZlR5kbFU

If you don't like videos, here's a spreadsheet with all the steps.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lJIPOom_2aRWkwzZHKGkkWU0mVCGV5kFZZXtgYuuYyo/htmlview#gid=1630256473

TLDR/TLDW: claim all your renown rewards, 1-15 run world events efficiently using the path they provide, Stronghold resets from 15-47, WT3 capstone, 48-67 NM dungeons, WT4 capstone, 67-100 NM dungeons.

I think the game is still new enough to me that I'm not ready to follow a guide like this. I'll probably just fart around doing tree of whispers and side quests and take my time, but I figured this might be useful to some of you.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I only explored like half the map in the campaign so I am also going to gently caress around.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
:hmmyes:

i didn't even know you could reset strongholds

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Ehud posted:

If anyone is not looking forward to leveling again and want to make it as efficient as possible, Raxx has it down to a science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlZlR5kbFU

If you don't like videos, here's a spreadsheet with all the steps.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lJIPOom_2aRWkwzZHKGkkWU0mVCGV5kFZZXtgYuuYyo/htmlview#gid=1630256473

TLDR/TLDW: claim all your renown rewards, 1-15 run world events efficiently using the path they provide, Stronghold resets from 15-47, WT3 capstone, 48-67 NM dungeons, WT4 capstone, 67-100 NM dungeons.

I think the game is still new enough to me that I'm not ready to follow a guide like this. I'll probably just fart around doing tree of whispers and side quests and take my time, but I figured this might be useful to some of you.

Looks good if you want to race it, but one thing to consider is that they'll add the whole seasonal campaign/questline which you can start early (right from level 1?) and for a regular player it would probably be more fun way to get the character started.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Looks good if you want to race it, but one thing to consider is that they'll add the whole seasonal campaign/questline which you can start early (right from level 1?) and for a regular player it would probably be more fun way to get the character started.

Yep. I’m gonna be mixing that in from the start as well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If I were racing sure following the line makes sense, but I don't think leveling is slow enough to not just fart around and do whatever for exp.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I think they are probably going to nerf stronghold resets.

Also if the servers are questionable a strategy that involves logging out every 10 minutes may not be ideal.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Had no idea Duriel was going to appear in that last Act, holy poo poo. He was just as much of a pain in the rear end as he was in D2; a huge boss in a teeny tiny space and now with potholes and maggots all over. Love that big bug bitch. I really would like to see him as a "butcher" type boss that can randomly spawn in dungeons to make you miserable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the best thing this game as done in the genre space wrt items is solve the problem of rares being worthless.

Poe solved it in a different way too. Nice to see different solutions

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Substandard posted:

I think they are probably going to nerf stronghold resets.

Also if the servers are questionable a strategy that involves logging out every 10 minutes may not be ideal.

I hope they stop trying to play whack-a-mole with efficient leveling strats. Gamers gonna game, by which I mean, optimize all the fun out.

Let them have it and work on bringing other content up to that level.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's more of an indictment of everything around the stronghold abuse that doing it is the most efficient thing you can be doing at that time.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Tonetta posted:

The important part is that you feel like you got enough out of the game to justify the cost.

What constitutes as "endgame" will vary a bit person to person, but the general consensus right now is that endgame consists of helltides,
nightmare dungeons, and Uber lilleth.

Seasons are typically 12-13 week cycles where you'll have a large content patch drop, and to experience the new content, you'll have to start from scratch*

* in this game, cosmetics will transfer between seasons and so will up to 2 tiers of renown progress, whatever fog of war you uncovered. And lilleth statues collected.

Start from scratch as in level up a new character to 50? Then I guess I should wait to roll a barbarian until the new season...

Also, just finished the campaign. It was awesome. The story was nothing special per se, but the voice acting, general atmosphere and writing was excellent. :allears: I deem this, a GOOD GAME

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's basically getting your guy to blow up entire screens with huge numbers. Number go up.

You will get sucked into making every little tweak to be the most efficient number exploder.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

:hmmyes:

i didn't even know you could reset strongholds

What? How? I thought those were all permanent.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 14, 2023

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Philthy posted:

It's basically getting your guy to blow up entire screens with huge numbers. Number go up.

You will get sucked into making every little tweak to be the most efficient number exploder.

What? How? I thought those were all permanent.

Strongholds are permanent once unlocked, but if you log out in any stronghold you havent fully conquered yet it will reset. There are a few strongholds with very good mob density (most notably Kor Dragan and Onyx Watchtower) and since strongholds are always +2 level you also get an additional 20% exp.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I get that streamer brain requires an optimal path like that but I cannot imagine playing the first parts of the same strongholds on repeat for 30 levels.

It will also be very funny in a week when they patch that and add new S1 content that requires the whole sheet to be thrown in the bin.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

euphronius posted:

I think the best thing this game as done in the genre space wrt items is solve the problem of rares being worthless.

Poe solved it in a different way too. Nice to see different solutions

Haven't played PoE but Last Epoch's crafting system is fantastic. Not to mention an amazing item filter and removing the need to pick up items you don't want to use because gold comes from drops, not selling to a vendor.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bamhand posted:

Haven't played PoE but Last Epoch's crafting system is fantastic. Not to mention an amazing item filter and removing the need to pick up items you don't want to use because gold comes from drops, not selling to a vendor.

Last Epoch does a lot of cool stuff with crafting and item filters and will roll out some neat stuff with trading. It's not quite a completely polished package but there's some actual innovation going on.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Kaysette posted:

I get that streamer brain requires an optimal path like that but I cannot imagine playing the first parts of the same strongholds on repeat for 30 levels.

It will also be very funny in a week when they patch that and add new S1 content that requires the whole sheet to be thrown in the bin.

Realistically you still need to max your renown again on your first character and for the 2nd onward you can just get a boost, so I'm not even sure who this is for, besides the ultra broke-brained who both hate people and being ever so slightly not 100% efficient.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Collapsing Farts posted:

Each season seems like it'll have some seasonal quest line and a gimmick to go along with it. The gimmick, along with a major balance pass each season, spices up the meta. Plus the season journey and battle pass (lol idiot). They 100% expect you to get bored at some point and stop playing for the season. Then you come back next season and do it again.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Is there a creator/God in the Diablo universe? If so, I look forward to the season where we kick down the doors to Heaven's throne room and beat the poo poo out of Him.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BinaryDoubts posted:

Is there a creator/God in the Diablo universe? If so, I look forward to the season where we kick down the doors to Heaven's throne room and beat the poo poo out of Him.

Yes, but they've been converted into other beings that we occasionally get to kick down the doors to and beat the poo poo out of.

Anu was the creator of Heaven and came first. Anu's spine became the Crystal Archway which births every angel. Each angel is an aspect of Anu's personality.

Tathamet was the creator of Hell and came second. Tathamet's seven(?) heads were cut off and became the Prime & Lesser evils!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BinaryDoubts posted:

The story of each Diablo game is them retconning the previous so… maybe?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

BinaryDoubts posted:

IIRC there was, in that a primordial First Being that encompassed all possible things, including good and evil, existed. Then it got tired of including Bad, so it split itself into Good and Bad halves, which proceeded to beat each other to death. The corpses formed Heaven and Hell. So now angels infinitely reincarnate from the good bones and the demons infinitely regenerate from the bad bones and the offspring of angels and demons lead pitiful, weak, nearly helpless lives at the mercy of either power's attentions and then suffer eternally in Hell after death because their souls go there I guess. Unless they're a protagonist.

I expect at some point we'll have a StarCraft Kerrigan moment where a human/nephalim becomes God 2.0 from both heritages catalyzing some transformation. Then maybe we get to attack and dethrone God like Marx intended.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 14, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

IIRC there was, in that a primordial First Being that encompassed all possible things, including good and evil, existed. Then it got tired of including Bad, so it split itself into Good and Bad halves, which proceeded to beat each other to death. The corpses formed Heaven and Hell. So now angels infinitely reincarnate from the good bones and the demons infinitely regenerate from the bad bones and the offspring of angels and demons lead pitiful, weak, nearly helpless lives at the mercy of either power's attentions and then suffer eternally in Hell after death because their souls go there I guess. Unless they're a protagonist.

I expect at some point we'll have a StarCraft Kerrigan moment where a human/nephalim becomes God 2.0 from both heritages catalyzing some transformation. Then maybe we get to attack and dethrone God like Marx intended.

Now you know why angels and demons fear the nephalem!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I guess potentially a human could go to the High Heavens in the same way they go to the Burning Hells after death and it's just whichever of the celestial corpses their "essence" or "spirit" gravitates towards after death based on their actions in life. They don't reconstitute because the mechanics don't support a mixed material to work with so oops, guess we have all these souls piling up eternally. I wonder what heaven does with theirs?

Where does that leave nature spirits and animals and whatnot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Anyone who is grinding strongholds at the start of season 1 instead of doing their renown is incredibly incredibly stupid. The only acceptable reason is you are in the race for first to 100.