Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

Why is streaming such a hard model to make money on, anyway? Didn't Netflix make a lot of money when it first came out? Is it the switch to creating original programming/wholly owning your program libraries that caused the issue?

My understanding is that part of the reasons streaming services have money problems is because they were constantly throwing money around. Like that JJ Abrams deal that was hundreds of millions of dollars and produced nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
a part of the reason all these streaming deals are so front-loaded like that it the lack of residuals...

perhaps they'd even make more money and better incentivize quality if they went back to the residual model. Their break-out hits would cost more but there would be less complete write-offs like 90% of these JJ or Russo Brother bombs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

AngryBooch posted:

a part of the reason all these streaming deals are so front-loaded like that it the lack of residuals...

perhaps they'd even make more money and better incentivize quality if they went back to the residual model. Their break-out hits would cost more but there would be less complete write-offs like 90% of these JJ or Russo Brother bombs.

There is no aftermarket for original streaming content, though. They aren't selling huge amounts of Stranger Things Blu-Rays or syndicating it on TBS.

They would have to either cut them part of the streaming subscription (which would have to be tiny or they would end up owing 100% of their subscription revenue to old shows after 20 or 30 original projects) or creators would just have to accept that they get no residuals once the streamer decides to take their content off.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There is no aftermarket for original streaming content, though. They aren't selling huge amounts of Stranger Things Blu-Rays or syndicating it on TBS.

They would have to either cut them part of the streaming subscription (which would have to be tiny or they would end up owing 100% of their subscription revenue to old shows after 20 or 30 original projects) or creators would just have to accept that they get no residuals once the streamer decides to take their content off.

The closest model I can think of would be the YouTube revenue sharing model prorated by views or viewer minutes per episode. For example: Netflix says 50% of subscription and ad revenue every year/quarter goes towards residuals. New shows or seasons get large percentages along with shows that re-enter the public awareness but many would eventually fall into that same category you hear about with syndicated TV where a supporting actor from LA Law in 1992 gets $0.37 every fiscal quarter.

Anyway, I think Netflix wants more control than that so will fight tooth and nail against it, but ultimately I think that's a mistake given their stewardship of some of their breakout hits. Every other YouTube adjacent service has avoided the revenue sharing model in favor of paltry "creator funds" after all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

I remember seeing House of Cards and Hemlock Grove DVD and Bluray box sets just like any other show. However that was a decade ago, so I presume most streaming shows no longer have them, which is why they are becoming lost media as soon as they are delisted.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OnimaruXLR posted:

Why is streaming such a hard model to make money on, anyway?
On top of what everyone else said:

When Netflix added streaming to complement their DVD model, it was just kind of a nice if odd perk. They were able to grab a crapload of shows and were lucky enough to get in right when high speed access became the norm.

And after a bit, everyone realized they had sold their catalog for pennies and thought "If I have it all under my own umbrella..."

Hulu was kind of the stopgap solution. Make a "studio" streaming arm comprised of a bunch of players. The anti-Netflix.

But then they all got greedy and fragmented the market. Which means that it wasn't just good to have Terminator and Predator and New Star Trek on your service. Now you had to spend $80M on a development deal to see if John Carter, Quartermaster, and Doc Savage could be your dazzling new original series. And then another $20M to see if, uh, Alfonso Cuaron would like to do....anything? Maybe a food anthology docudrama? Iono man just get him on board.

So now they're in an arms race to make originals while all their metrics are behind weird black boxes and no one knows what 700,000 Man Hours Watched means exactly, or if it means $500 or $50,000,000 and the guy that created it in Brazil gets jack poo poo for it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Speaking of streaming metrics: Secret Invasion is going way over budget in return for a mediocre viewcount

https://twitter.com/PolyculeHitman/status/1679039214221156352
("beloved comic book series" lol)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Finding out how low the numbers were for Ms Marvel is disappointing. That series had a lot of fun stuff so I can only assume it has something to do with racism that people wouldn't watch it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Jamesman posted:

Finding out how low the numbers were for Ms Marvel is disappointing. That series had a lot of fun stuff so I can only assume it has something to do with racism that people wouldn't watch it.

One the reasons I read around where that some thought it was a children's/teen show.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Desperado Bones posted:

One the reasons I read around where that some thought it was a children's/teen show.

It was one of the better marvel shows but it kind of was. At least toward the teen demo.

The comment about things being too fragmented now is on the nose I feel. My friend started a plex server because he was tired of having to subscribe to 5 different services to watch what he wanted and it's basically the old piracy days except you can stream it to all your friends in HD too. It's great.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It was one of the better marvel shows but it kind of was. At least toward the teen demo.

The comment about things being too fragmented now is on the nose I feel. My friend started a plex server because he was tired of having to subscribe to 5 different services to watch what he wanted and it's basically the old piracy days except you can stream it to all your friends in HD too. It's great.

Lol I'm on two friends Plexes for this exact reason. One has lots of anime/weird art house stuff and one has every other god drat thing in existence. Just used it to show my wife the bonkers Dick Tracy movie for the first time, and she agreed that it is weird as gently caress and kinda rules and must have made exactly zero dollars because it was shockingly full of "hmm, bold choice there" moments. She was confused how it even existed, so I got to explain that very weird moment where Batman 89 was a massive success and spawned a brief era where everyone was trying to capitalize on it with your Dicks Tracy and your Darkmen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Netflix’s early success came almost entirely from buying up licenses cheap because they got there first and it was free money for the content owners.

Once they saw the value of what they had, things started to turn.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Some of the reason for lower ratings for Ms Marvel and other recent Marvel stuff is almost certainly racism and misogyny and the whole anti-woke culture war bullshit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
At the end of the say I'm just not interested in keeping up with both TV shows with full seasons of episodes and also the movies. So now I don't keep up with either one.

I like reading this thread despite not watching most of the stuff

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Macaluso posted:

At the end of the say I'm just not interested in keeping up with both TV shows with full seasons of episodes and also the movies. So now I don't keep up with either one.

I like reading this thread despite not watching most of the stuff

Same. In theory Secret Invasion should be right up my alley but I just find myself not giving a poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aphrodite posted:

Netflix’s early success came almost entirely from buying up licenses cheap because they got there first and it was free money for the content owners.

Once they saw the value of what they had, things started to turn.
Yes at one point they had a ton of other studios’ content on their service before those studios realized that they were basically giving the money away

The smart thing Netflix did besides being the first major streamer is that they invested in making their own content before they lost a lot of other studios’ stuff. Now most of their original content is crap but they have at least been able to keep their position as the #1 streaming service by not paying as much for outside content.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Yeah, it's been said many times before, but they just brought back the ridiculous cable era of TV with all these streaming services and that's driven a bunch of folks back to piracy. Netflix made everything simple and easy and convenient, that is no longer the case, especially with these services just up and deleting programing that never got a physical release.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Surely this will recover all the monies lost.

https://twitter.com/WarnerBrosNFT/status/1679838164276453377

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
What does that even mean?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you add slurp juice to your flash ape you can resell it for lots of money

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Same. In theory Secret Invasion should be right up my alley but I just find myself not giving a poo poo.

It's very slow and meandering. Right now it's too long and dense for a movie (though most recent episode was just over 30 mins), but I feel like it could be shrunk into a movie with a few characters written out and some things changed. It's not wowing me, and it's kind of a shame because Jackson and Cheadle are really strong playing off each other. Everything else is kind of meh though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

Lmao

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah my griftspeak is a little rusty, what's that mean? The movie is an NFT?

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why doesn't the Warner Bros. NFT Twitter account have a Twitter NFT profile pic?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

La Louve Rouge posted:

Why doesn't the Warner Bros. NFT Twitter account have a Twitter NFT profile pic?

People were blocking the different silhouette icons on sight.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
They already did Bat Cowl NFTs, why would a failed movie do any better.

I haven't heard anything about this since.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

site posted:

if you add slurp juice to your flash ape you can resell it for lots of money

His name is Grodd.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Why is streaming such a hard model to make money on, anyway? Didn't Netflix make a lot of money when it first came out? Is it the switch to creating original programming/wholly owning your program libraries that caused the issue?
Primarily it's because end-stage capitalism no longer recognizes concepts such as "loss leader" or "building an audience" or even "steady income". You must make more money than you made last quarter, every quarter, forever. This is very sustainable and in no way is going to cause an astounding series of disasters that will shatter every market before sanity prevails again.

The secondary cause is that TV's in a transitionary state right now. Cord-cutting is real and it's not going to stop; cable is a dead format walking and broadcast is in trouble. Every studio knows this; they've all seen the same studies, there is a reason why everyone went "oh poo poo" and started going in on streaming about five years ago. But nobody knows exactly what the future's gonna look like when we get there, so everyone is guessing. And because of the primary cause, everyone jumped in way too hard and overcommitted, and this wasn't helped by most streaming services coming online in 2019/2020, just in time to catch a tsunami of momentum from COVID. But COVID was an artificial surge, quarantine ended, and... oops. And also because of the primary cause, nobody's thinking right. None of these studios should loving care about the viewership numbers, all that should matter is one more piece of quality content for the library so that in ten years when cable collapses, you're there and ready with a mature platform

Also, frankly, I think we as the consumers are also a bit out of line. The Netflix era when everything was on one streaming service? That was artificial too. It was never gonna last, it wasn't the endgame, we're being silly in wanting it back. What we can hope for is, ironically, what we wanted before this whole thing begain. Remember back when cable was the only game in town, and everyone was agitating for a la carte pricing so you could just buy the channels you want and not have to pay for a bundle to get like sixty other stations you have no interest in? We're gonna get that. It's still a win for us.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

X-O posted:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Primarily it's because end-stage capitalism no longer recognizes concepts such as "loss leader" or "building an audience" or even "steady income". You must make more money than you made last quarter, every quarter, forever. This is very sustainable and in no way is going to cause an astounding series of disasters that will shatter every market before sanity prevails again.

The secondary cause is that TV's in a transitionary state right now. Cord-cutting is real and it's not going to stop; cable is a dead format walking and broadcast is in trouble. Every studio knows this; they've all seen the same studies, there is a reason why everyone went "oh poo poo" and started going in on streaming about five years ago. But nobody knows exactly what the future's gonna look like when we get there, so everyone is guessing. And because of the primary cause, everyone jumped in way too hard and overcommitted, and this wasn't helped by most streaming services coming online in 2019/2020, just in time to catch a tsunami of momentum from COVID. But COVID was an artificial surge, quarantine ended, and... oops. And also because of the primary cause, nobody's thinking right. None of these studios should loving care about the viewership numbers, all that should matter is one more piece of quality content for the library so that in ten years when cable collapses, you're there and ready with a mature platform

Also, frankly, I think we as the consumers are also a bit out of line. The Netflix era when everything was on one streaming service? That was artificial too. It was never gonna last, it wasn't the endgame, we're being silly in wanting it back. What we can hope for is, ironically, what we wanted before this whole thing begain. Remember back when cable was the only game in town, and everyone was agitating for a la carte pricing so you could just buy the channels you want and not have to pay for a bundle to get like sixty other stations you have no interest in? We're gonna get that. It's still a win for us.

The other big thing that broke things, IMO, is the all or nothing mentality. Basically a show is either a massive zeitgeist grabbing success or it's a total failure that should be instantly shitcanned. And that's a thought process that would've killed several of the biggest shows on US TV EVER. All In The Family, MASH, Cheers, Seinfeld? All did LOUSY for the first season or so. But even setting that aside, rather than spending a billion dollars on Lord Of The Rings, and whatever the gently caress the Russo thing Amazon made, or Disney making 15 Marvel and Star Wars shows a year, they should be treating it more like network TV and have a smaller slate of less over-budgeted stuff so that if something DOES catch fire, it's easier to capitalise, and if you end up with a bunch of middle-of-the-road stuff, well, then that helps your content library later.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1680719322748952576

Some days you just can't get rid of a box office bomb.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 17, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WB doing the job of killing the Justice League better than any comicbook villain could.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wonder how much Gunn will be able to get away with making his new Luthor into Zaslev. I guess he can just say it's Iger

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

- You can't sell ads.

That means all the revenue has to come from subscriptions.

- With the exception of a few major shows like Stranger Things or Game of Thrones, you can't really tell what programs are investments that are keeping people subscribed.

Are you wasting millions of dollars with shows that people may watch, but won't actually subscribe for? How much content do you have to have? Because even if you have a big draw, you have to have a large catalogue to keep giving people a reason to subscribe.

- Companies were competing to get as many subscribers as possible from other streamers, so they invested huge amounts of money in very expensive original shows in a way that probably wasn't sustainable. Especially when they start bombing (like Netflix's many many $75+ million original movies or $200 million Adam Sandler exclusivity deals).

- Streaming content has an inherently higher risk of being easier to pirate or share accounts. That can dramatically cut down your revenue compared to every individual person buying a movie ticket or selling ads in huge blocks.

Netflix was like Amazon: It didn't make any profit for a long time and was bleeding money, but the stock price kept going up because their market dominance was so huge that people bought in on the assumption that it will eventually be hugely profitable when they raise prices or reach total market penetration. But, everyone else got in the game and Netflix had a lot of competition. Once it wasn't the only major player in the streaming game, that massive growth slowed down.

I thought all the streaming services have an ad based version now?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I was trying to keep up with all the Marvel stuff on D+ at first, Wandavision and Hawkeye and Loki were interesting and fun but god there's just so much of it so eventually I just fell off hard. The last things I watched were like, most of Moon Knight (which I should probably finish sometime) and Werewolf By Night (loved it, at least, what was the general reaction around here to it?).

There being too many shows ended up ruining the movies for me too, I still haven't seen Quantumania or Guardians 3 yet because I just don't care.

They really should have just stuck to the movies and maybe one series a year.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

im just lol that they can utterly plan everything out like this for mcu then let star wars just trainwreck itself for a good long while lmao.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Vandar posted:

I was trying to keep up with all the Marvel stuff on D+ at first, Wandavision and Hawkeye and Loki were interesting and fun but god there's just so much of it so eventually I just fell off hard. The last things I watched were like, most of Moon Knight (which I should probably finish sometime) and Werewolf By Night (loved it, at least, what was the general reaction around here to it?).

There being too many shows ended up ruining the movies for me too, I still haven't seen Quantumania or Guardians 3 yet because I just don't care.

They really should have just stuck to the movies and maybe one series a year.

Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk were two of the best Marvel things ever made. But I say that against the context of many of the recent movies being... a mixed bag.

I'm not sure, because I've like most (not all, but most) of the TV shows, but suddenly the movies have started having bad ones, when for a few years there were no bad ones. The thing about the increase in volume of content is that I got more good stuff overall, but there's been a higher % of bad stuff.

In an ideal world, there would be less content, but only the bad content would have gone unmade. But it's just as likely that in a world of less content some of the stuff I loved was the stuff that never existed. I do know I'm sad that my three times a year, guaranteed good time movie, is no longer a sure thing and I now go into each one wondering if this coin flip comes up heads.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm currently watching through the DCAMU so I'm not exactly inclined to being on team "limit the output in the hopes it means all bangers." Like I didn't love every pre-Endgame MCU movie either. It kind of feels like we get rose colored glasses about that now. Most of the Disney+ TV isn't required viewing any more than every movie is required viewing for each other. People can pick and choose. I can understand why people who were deeply invested in "the Infinity Saga" are now disappointed at the much looser Phase 4. But eh. I've loved a lot of the random weird stuff they've made. Not everything, but I'm having a good time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

90sgamer posted:

I thought all the streaming services have an ad based version now?
Nowhere near all. You could maybe make an argument that most do because there's a plethora of small services that are strictly ad-supported, but other than YouTube, I don't think there's anything that offers a free-with-ads and paid with no ads tiers. Netflix, HBOMax, Disney+, and others are strictly paid with no ads, and there's some like Hulu, Paramount+, and Peacock that have paid with ads and paid with no ads tiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

STAC Goat posted:

I'm currently watching through the DCAMU so I'm not exactly inclined to being on team "limit the output in the hopes it means all bangers." Like I didn't love every pre-Endgame MCU movie either. It kind of feels like we get rose colored glasses about that now. Most of the Disney+ TV isn't required viewing any more than every movie is required viewing for each other. People can pick and choose.

People can pick and choose but this is a Disney problem of not getting the returns they want. TV is crowded and there are lots of good shows so to rise above you need to be really drat good. People aren't going to watch just because it's there or just because it's Marvel. And if the show isn't cheap to make, what is Disney actually getting out of it?