Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

keep punching joe posted:

Court to force musk to fight Zuckerberg, musk sues his lawfirm (from hospital).

Sues hospital for not allowing his phone in the MRI scanner room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/noturtlesoup17/status/1679722364777398272?t=IXSu_IUCo8GZByxWOboheQ&s=19

Genius

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/funkadeefunk/status/1679723492328067074?s=20

Lmao.

Imagine paying $8 to see ads that pay someone else who is also paying $8 (or more).. or frankly paying $8 and seeing ads at all.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The payments never happened earlier and are now completely arbitrary because nobody on the team knows how to find the right metrics

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Durzel posted:

Imagine paying $8 to see ads that pay someone else who is also paying $8 (or more).. or frankly paying $8 and seeing ads at all.

I refuse.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
A few pages back, but there are a lot of people who seem to need to use a social media app owned by big tech with algorithmically-generated newsfeed and monetised via ads. And many of these people are opting for Threads, acknowledging that Meta is a bad company, but suggesting that it’s the lesser of two evils.

Meta was found by the UN to have played a “determining role” in a loving genocide. Whether or not you assess in good faith that Meta is in fact the “lesser evil” compared to Elon’s Twitter (and this is at the very least debatable), you have to acknowledge it stills leave them so beyond-the-pale, horrendously evil that it’s really hard to justify using their service as a somehow moral decision.

Musk is a white supremacist transphobe. Zuck has been complicit in a genocide. You don’t need to support either.

Honestly it reminds me of the liberals who longed for the halcyon days of Bush Jr during the Trump presidency; yeah yeah the Iraq war was bad, but at least he had some decorum, right?

If you’re not ready to quit these platforms forever, I’d honestly recommend just trying a break for a couple of weeks or a couple of months and seeing how you feel after a hiatus.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’m fully sold on the idea the users and amounts were handpicked by elon. I know people earn stupid crazy money from youtube and twitch and what have you but this seems really suss. At first I figured it was his investment against people jumping to threads, like “hey if you post lots you’ll make mad money” but most the people that he paid (that I’ve seen) are rightwing scum and/or bootlickers who were never going to leave.

I wouldn’t put it past him to have contacted them all and added something like “this payment is contingent on your continued post on my hellsite and not posting on zucks hellsite.”

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Sounds like you don't have the makings of a Twitter Content Creator All-Star. That's a shame.

Halisnacks posted:

A few pages back, but there are a lot of people who seem to need to use a social media app owned by big tech with algorithmically-generated newsfeed and monetised via ads. And many of these people are opting for Threads, acknowledging that Meta is a bad company, but suggesting that it’s the lesser of two evils.

Meta was found by the UN to have played a “determining role” in a loving genocide. Whether or not you assess in good faith that Meta is in fact the “lesser evil” compared to Elon’s Twitter (and this is at the very least debatable), you have to acknowledge it stills leave them so beyond-the-pale, horrendously evil that it’s really hard to justify using their service as a somehow moral decision.

Musk is a white supremacist transphobe. Zuck has been complicit in a genocide. You don’t need to support either.

Honestly it reminds me of the liberals who longed for the halcyon days of Bush Jr during the Trump presidency; yeah yeah the Iraq war was bad, but at least he had some decorum, right?

If you’re not ready to quit these platforms forever, I’d honestly recommend just trying a break for a couple of weeks or a couple of months and seeing how you feel after a hiatus.
You have to play the cards you're dealt.

We can probably agree that there are hundreds of millions of people, unfortunately, who are social media addicted. They're going to use one of these platforms, and they aren't going to give much thought as to who is running them or what they've done, so long as they can engage with their favourite people, etc. Saying "why not just not use SM at all?" is a pretty dumb suggestion even if it is well intentioned.

You're objectively right in that Meta shouldn't be lionised in this whole thing, and I'm not entirely sure they are. People just want to see Musk fail, for good reason in so far as he's boosting far-right shitheels and being an overall oval office, so they are celebrating Meta/Zuckerberg dunking on him. It's ok for that to be the beginning and end of the thought process, though. The enemy of my enemy can also still be my enemy.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
lets just wait and see how many that were promised money actually receive it

musk doesn't pay bills

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

DRINK ME posted:

I’m fully sold on the idea the users and amounts were handpicked by elon. I know people earn stupid crazy money from youtube and twitch and what have you but this seems really suss. At first I figured it was his investment against people jumping to threads, like “hey if you post lots you’ll make mad money” but most the people that he paid (that I’ve seen) are rightwing scum and/or bootlickers who were never going to leave.

I wouldn’t put it past him to have contacted them all and added something like “this payment is contingent on your continued post on my hellsite and not posting on zucks hellsite.”
It's transparently intended to make it seem like it's easy for you to make money. If these shitbirds are making $37k+, then you could easily do the same by paying just $8 a month*

* And sucking Elon off, posting the absolute worst garbage tier far right hate speech you can think of, etc.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

ymgve posted:

I assume «from February» means the full period Feb-mid-July so about half a year

Top influencers on your $44 B platform get $37 k for a half-year? Yep, that's going to convince Mr Beast to switch.

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

but I thought Elon was all about free speech?

Not even remotely. He’s just tryna appeal to a bunch of right wing r3t4rd users.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Block, don't engage.

https://twitter.com/RedApeGuy/status/1679571427920412677

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Durzel posted:

You have to play the cards you're dealt.

We can probably agree that there are hundreds of millions of people, unfortunately, who are social media addicted. They're going to use one of these platforms, and they aren't going to give much thought as to who is running them or what they've done, so long as they can engage with their favourite people, etc. Saying "why not just not use SM at all?" is a pretty dumb suggestion even if it is well intentioned.

You're objectively right in that Meta shouldn't be lionised in this whole thing, and I'm not entirely sure they are. People just want to see Musk fail, for good reason in so far as he's boosting far-right shitheels and being an overall oval office, so they are celebrating Meta/Zuckerberg dunking on him. It's ok for that to be the beginning and end of the thought process, though. The enemy of my enemy can also still be my enemy.

So what is to be done? Saying “why not smoke cigarettes at all?” was at one point a pretty dumb and idealistic point of view, and we are now way past the point of peak cigarette use in some cultures. I’m probably a bit more passionate about it at this particular juncture because people seem willing to quit something (Twitter), so it seems like an opportune moment to ask people to question their SM use entirely. If not now, when?

And perhaps an unpopular opinion: I’m openminded to the idea that in a global context, Meta is the greater evil than Twitter, even if Zuck is personally less abhorrent than Musk. Which is to say, if someone told me they HAD to use at least one platform to feed their SM addiction, Twitter might be the lesser of two evils in a Twitter/Meta dilemma. To argue the opposite is to claim that Elon has caused more harm running Twitter than FB contributed to in Myanmar and Ethiopia/Eritrea.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Lol like there's going to be any more paydays. He's going to be too bored to continue faking this poo poo by tomorrow and will have forgotten it entirely by next week.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Except that it plainly has nothing to do with views or engagement, it’s just Elon bunging money to his friends to create the false impression that you can make bank on Twitter in a sad attempt to drive Twitter Blue uptake.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Easy way to know it's fake is there aren't thousands of people posting about their $0.07 payday

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

double irony of this, aside from the obvious one, is that the biggest payout (over $100.000) was to an account that literally just reposts screenshots of tweets apparently (Internet hall of fame).

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Underwhelmed posted:

At least we know where all the severance money he owes to employees he fired went.

These screenshots are definitely showing up in court as part of that lawsuit :lol:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Radio Paranoia posted:

KILL 1 BILLION HITLERS

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Halisnacks posted:

So what is to be done? Saying “why not smoke cigarettes at all?” was at one point a pretty dumb and idealistic point of view, and we are now way past the point of peak cigarette use in some cultures. I’m probably a bit more passionate about it at this particular juncture because people seem willing to quit something (Twitter), so it seems like an opportune moment to ask people to question their SM use entirely. If not now, when?

A different approach would be to start treating social media as a public service and not a for-profit data gathering enterprise ran by companies with no accountability other than to their shareholders

(but then you have to figure out what to do after you hand over social media to public administration and said public administration turns out to be fascist)

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Radio Paranoia posted:

KILL 1 BILLION HITLERS

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH POSTING

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Do you get paid for posting by week, or on a slur-by-slur basis?

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Tigey posted:

Do you get paid for posting by week, or on a slur-by-slur basis?

I believe it's user-slurs-per-second

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

something something unregretted user minutes

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Myron Baloney posted:

Lol like there's going to be any more paydays. He's going to be too bored to continue faking this poo poo by tomorrow and will have forgotten it entirely by next week.
I don't think he's going to have much choice. He just told the most hateful and vile people on the site that they can get paid for posting that poo poo.

If he just cuts them off, he probably will have much worse poo poo to deal with than imaginary scrapers.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

greatBigJerk posted:

I don't think he's going to have much choice. He just told the most hateful and vile people on the site that they can get paid for posting that poo poo.

If he just cuts them off, he probably will have much worse poo poo to deal with than imaginary scrapers.

It's just perfect that he managed to take something as simple as "pay creators based on metrics" and Musk it up to the point where nobody is going to be happy and it will make things aggresively worse for everyone in record time. That's our Elon!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

greatBigJerk posted:

Cuts who off? The only people he paid are his favorite accounts

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol the best way to stave off a pack of wild hyenas is to toss them some red meat. Then they'll leave you alone

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I deleted Twiter from my phone.

How I delete Twitter from the world?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tei posted:

I deleted Twiter from my phone.

How I delete Twitter from the world?

We're gonna need a crew

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Data Graham posted:

Lol the best way to stave off a pack of wild hyenas is to toss them some red meat a billionaire.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Meta is worth 20x what Twitter was (even at the ridiculous price that E-Muck paid for it). It's probably the greater evil, but, again, I want to see zuck Mortal Kombat Elon real bad, so really who can tell who is the greater evil??

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Imagine these things that are happening as though they were theoretical things that were happening in your imagination because they are so absurd.

Imagine them happening. Imagine them.

Imagine. Even though you don't have to.

Because they are happening.

Stop imagining.

Stop telling me to imagine.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Lol the best way to stave off a pack of wild hyenas is to toss them some red meat. Then they'll leave you alone

I mean, it works for Harar - they settle down, stop eating the livestock, and chase of other hyenas or predators.

You just gotta feed them porridge once a year too

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Steadiman posted:

lol that this is gonna backfire spectacularly when Catturd2 realizes he didn't get as much as some dogecoin meme account. Or did catturd not even make the Friends of Elon payout list?

yea but he declined. he does it for the love of the game

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

thathonkey posted:

yea but he declined. he does it for the love of the game

He's already been posted

He REALLY wants that money, and is beyond salty about it

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Halisnacks posted:

And perhaps an unpopular opinion: I’m openminded to the idea that in a global context, Meta is the greater evil than Twitter, even if Zuck is personally less abhorrent than Musk. Which is to say, if someone told me they HAD to use at least one platform to feed their SM addiction, Twitter might be the lesser of two evils in a Twitter/Meta dilemma. To argue the opposite is to claim that Elon has caused more harm running Twitter than FB contributed to in Myanmar and Ethiopia/Eritrea.

Everything is evil and will remain so until El Cantare shines his light of love on to the solar system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGhzqhh_PQ0

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I agree that, historically, Meta has been worse than Twitter but it’s not so clear that that will continue in the future. One platform is banning overt fascists while the other is paying them thousands of dollars. We are in kind of a unique position right now where encouraging use of Threads could kill Twitter for good which would leave everyone free to focus on Facebook next. One battle at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The Pirate Captain posted:

One platform is banning overt fascists

citation needed