Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

A chain jewelry store has been regularly buying up rush hour commercial slots on the local rock station since they've opened up about a decade ago. Their commercials usually consist of what feels like half an hour of clumsy dialogue between the manager and random employees about just how they absolutely love buying up jewelry by the pound in their spare time. The problem is over the years the tone of these voice actors has steadily evolved from the quietly suggestive "Diamonds are Forever~" to an all-hyped "Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Experience the Summer Diamondapalooza like never before! Get a platinum dog cozie for your dog, get a pair of sparkly bull nuts for your lifted truck! Ever wanted to stick a large jewel in your SO's rear end in a top hat to show just how much you love them, well now you can during this Sunday's sale!!" Queue 3rd Tom Sawyer remix by Evanescence of the day.

Nyan Bread fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Yeah literally all the local alternative rock radio stations were bought out - one by ClearChannel, one being sold to another mid-sized conglomerate and the other basically buying itself into a tiny radio commune thing. They all suck now - the tiny radio commune doesnt have any money for licensing, so they play weird 80s b-sides all the time and say its part of their heritage or whatever, the mid sized radio station has very generic DJs who obviously are not live/from here and they play a lot of pop, and the big ClearChannel station stopped playing pink floyd.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

Yeah literally all the local alternative rock radio stations were bought out - one by ClearChannel, one being sold to another mid-sized conglomerate and the other basically buying itself into a tiny radio commune thing. They all suck now - the tiny radio commune doesnt have any money for licensing, so they play weird 80s b-sides all the time and say its part of their heritage or whatever, the mid sized radio station has very generic DJs who obviously are not live/from here and they play a lot of pop, and the big ClearChannel station stopped playing pink floyd.

I was a college DJ for 3 years and I took it very seriously. This was so long ago though I spun actual records.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

buglord posted:

I use some little text expander chrome plugin for work and it saves me a ton of time but they’re enshittifying hard now.

The writing was on the wall when they renamed themselves to include something like “Chat GPT writer” in the name. So now when I’m in Gmail they have little buttons placed in my response window to “helpfully” write a response when I will never do that as part of my job. And now they defaulted to having a floating button appear on all pages. Of course, there’s no plugin config settings to disable any of these things.

I’d say “if you’re gonna enshittify something I use for free, let me pay some fee to opt out of this” but lord knows even if I paid that wouldn’t be enough for them and they’d still push through with it.

Thanks, I'll get to this right away!

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

That string has been disabled for literally years

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Triikan posted:

The only way to view anything chronological on the mobile page (because I’ll be hosed if I install the app) is to click the hamburger menu, scroll down to Most Recent, then click Friends, at which point you get a very basic feed that shows your friends’ updates in chronological order with ads regularly interspersed. And it loads more slowly than the regular feed. There is a way to get to it on the desktop too, but Facebook is outrageous, reeking poo poo I check around once a week. It’s horrible, a genuine mockery of human connection.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Hasturtium posted:

The only way to view anything chronological on the mobile page (because I’ll be hosed if I install the app) is to click the hamburger menu, scroll down to Most Recent, then click Friends, at which point you get a very basic feed that shows your friends’ updates in chronological order with ads regularly interspersed. And it loads more slowly than the regular feed. There is a way to get to it on the desktop too, but Facebook is outrageous, reeking poo poo I check around once a week. It’s horrible, a genuine mockery of human connection.

Even then it's still not showing you *all* of your friends, only the ones you interact with the most.

Much like Spotify's absolutely dogshit "shuffle" prioritizing songs you listen to most often, this becomes self-fulfilling. Of course I only interact with the same 10 people and listen to the same 20 songs when that's all you ever loving show me.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So I’ve had this issue with Spotify where it’ll auto generate mixes based on genres I like except holy poo poo they’re all hideously mismatched.

Example: I wanted to listen to Daily Mix 1. Instead it started playing the song Laid by James:

https://youtu.be/0trh9Y598fM

instead of, for instance, Profanatica.

https://youtu.be/iAX5F7_Z2tc

Now I love the song Laid, it’s cute!!! But Spotify…you made the mix stating that there would be Profanatica, who I have seen live, and let me tell you this key, foundational fact: they have very few threads in common with the song Laid by James. I’m no maestro but there is a distinct difference.

Never fret, I found said metal mix…under Daily Mix 2, which states would it have Bowie and Kate Bush. It does not.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Triikan posted:

I tested it right before I posted it to make sure it works, and it did. It's probably getting shittier country by country.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I feel like just a few years ago, you could pretty easily find popular scenes of a lot of TV shows and movies on Youtube or maybe Daily Motion if you had to resort to that.

But now, it seems like a lot of studios have been a LOT more serious about DMCA takedowns and scouring those places, so I'll try to Google for a scene and I'll get unrelated ones, or, worst of all...that God-awful loving "GetYarn" site that, seemingly, has almost entire episodes of TV shows on one to two second clips at a time. So their tagging/SEO will make it look like the given clip you're loading is the entire scene...but it's like part 1 of 20 for that scene because of how short all the clips are. And they DOMINATE all the video searches now.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel like just a few years ago, you could pretty easily find popular scenes of a lot of TV shows and movies on Youtube or maybe Daily Motion if you had to resort to that.

But now, it seems like a lot of studios have been a LOT more serious about DMCA takedowns and scouring those places, so I'll try to Google for a scene and I'll get unrelated ones, or, worst of all...that God-awful loving "GetYarn" site that, seemingly, has almost entire episodes of TV shows on one to two second clips at a time. So their tagging/SEO will make it look like the given clip you're loading is the entire scene...but it's like part 1 of 20 for that scene because of how short all the clips are. And they DOMINATE all the video searches now.

Holy poo poo my world for a platform to hide all getyarn, it’s up there with Pinterest in wrecking any useful google results

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023
The quality of spray paint for huffing has gone way downhill.

Accubitus
Nov 7, 2020

teen witch posted:

So I’ve had this issue with Spotify where it’ll auto generate mixes based on genres I like except holy poo poo they’re all hideously mismatched.

Example: I wanted to listen to Daily Mix 1. Instead it started playing the song Laid by James:

https://youtu.be/0trh9Y598fM

instead of, for instance, Profanatica.

https://youtu.be/iAX5F7_Z2tc

Now I love the song Laid, it’s cute!!! But Spotify…you made the mix stating that there would be Profanatica, who I have seen live, and let me tell you this key, foundational fact: they have very few threads in common with the song Laid by James. I’m no maestro but there is a distinct difference.

Never fret, I found said metal mix…under Daily Mix 2, which states would it have Bowie and Kate Bush. It does not.

Lol Spotify put Arcade Fire in my "70s Mix" I guess because the song featured Peter Gabriel?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pacerwpg posted:

The quality of spray paint for huffing has gone way downhill.

Mediocre!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Anybody else in here wear Accuvue Oasys contacts? Have yours become just utter garbage? I can barely get my 2-weeks out if a pair when they used to go a month if I was careful. Just shredding around the edges, little chunks floating in my eye. Fuckin bullshit. They're in a class action lawsuit for price fixing over a few year period right now, I wonder if they're losing big money for Bausch and Lomb.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Anybody else in here wear Accuvue Oasys contacts? Have yours become just utter garbage? I can barely get my 2-weeks out if a pair when they used to go a month if I was careful. Just shredding around the edges, little chunks floating in my eye. Fuckin bullshit. They're in a class action lawsuit for price fixing over a few year period right now, I wonder if they're losing big money for Bausch and Lomb.

I don’t think I ever had a pair of monthlies work for the entire month, three weeks in and they feel like cornflakes.

Thankfully with WFH I switched to dailies and using glasses. Far cheaper and a 30 pack lasts for loving ever

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
After being banned for 6 months, "Facebook Comments", the absolute best tiktok account has returned

CHUDs are really mad about quarters now(?)

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8dv7eaV/

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Speedread this thread because I too have noticed things suck now.

The nothing fancy hanes t-shirts I've been buying for 20 years are no longer Tagless:tm: and are now extremely scratchy. Two of them had torn seams right out of the packaging.

Youtube suggests an unrelated video with no/a couple views to me every time I watch anything. Just sits there, third result down. They usually look procedurally generated. The amount of ads on mobile is insane. 2 preroll, 2 that play afterwards even if you don't have another video coming up. (I will say there's a lot of music being uploaded by rights holders in the last couple of years that you previously had to dig around in the scum basement to find, which you can usually listen to without premium.)

Also, bread that goes moldy like a week before it's best by date. Not sure what's going on there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

microsoft, my dude...

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Winamp will never bite you and throw you in the basement.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

microsoft, my dude...

why on

ILLUSTRATOR?

I’m too baffled for words.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Volcott posted:

Also, bread that goes moldy like a week before it's best by date. Not sure what's going on there.

I know no specifics but I wonder if this could be something good actually. If supermarket bread is going bad quicker then maybe they're not using as many preservatives because the old ones have been banned. Bread is not made to sit at room temperature for weeks. We've all been raised with that abominable delusion.

Keep it in the fridge or even freeze it. If you freeze homemade bread with no preservatives in it it lasts longer than you'd ever need anyway.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Gmail's spam filter has allowed more obvious scam emails into my inbox in the past year than the previous 12 years combined.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I know no specifics but I wonder if this could be something good actually. If supermarket bread is going bad quicker then maybe they're not using as many preservatives because the old ones have been banned. Bread is not made to sit at room temperature for weeks. We've all been raised with that abominable delusion.

Keep it in the fridge or even freeze it. If you freeze homemade bread with no preservatives in it it lasts longer than you'd ever need anyway.

I was gonna say, where the hell do they sell bread with a use by date that starts out more than a week away

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Avenza sucks rear end and I can't believe no one can design a usable GPS/GIS app.

Like the functionality is largely okay, but holy gently caress why are all your UIs so bad? I'll happily pay for a pro version but not if the free version is so poo poo

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Speaking of Gmail, I’m really not fond of how it’s taken to assuming that after I’ve opened an email, read it, and then deleted it because I don’t need to keep it around any more, that must mean it’s junk mail and gets classified as that going forward. I’m this close to jumping to ProtonMail, and only hope that hasn’t begun circling the shitter without my knowledge.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I feel like the average dog owner has gotten worse since the pandemic.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Advertising in mobile games.

It used to be an ad every now and then with the option to watch more ads to get free crap in game.

Now it’s ads after everything you do, you’re offered ads for bonuses and if you choose no you get an ad anyway (but sans bonus) and the length of the ads has been creeping up and up.. I get 90 second ads now’s.

Added bonus: the way 99% of games are now just Chinese ad generators with zero actual gameplay, plot and in some cases sound! Sure, I believe your rating of 500 000 five star ratings but only two written (negative) reviews is honest.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

bossy lady posted:

I feel like the average dog owner has gotten worse since the pandemic.

I was going to say as dogs get smaller the owners get shittier, but the larger dog owners are shittier too. Maybe people just suck more.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A lot of people who absolutely should never be dog owners became dog owners during the pandemic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of things that are probably pandemic adjacent, people don't really say bless you or gesundheit or even a silly joke when you sneeze anymore. Just complete dead silence. It sucks.

edit: I can get one out of them if I say "excuse me" first sometimes

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 14, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I now say "Are you done?" when someone sneezes in my presence. Take that poo poo outside, cretin.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

Gmail's spam filter has allowed more obvious scam emails into my inbox in the past year than the previous 12 years combined.

Oh yeah. The latest one I've seen, that's hit my inbox (PRIMARY folder, no less, not even shunted to the updates or promotional folders/labels) are scams claiming to be from Lowes' Home Depot, or Harbor Freight wanting me to do a survey to win some product. I distinctly remember the fake Lowes' ones claimed I'd get a Yeti cooler backpack.

And it wasn't, like, one or two that got through. It was a weird surge where for a week or two, I'd get multiple emails DAILY to "take a survey to claim my prize" or something. Every time I hit the button in Gmail to flag it, but still got more...I did searching, and LOTS of people in various forums or the google help boards were literally complaining about the EXACT. SAME. EMAILS. Then after a week or two, they'd finally stop...only to appear again a couple months later for another week or two.

I think so far it's happened three times and each time it was from a different one of those three hardware/tool stores. I expect the next batch will be fake ones from Tractor Supply, Co or like Acme Tools?

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of things that are probably pandemic adjacent, people don't really say bless you or gesundheit or even a silly joke when you sneeze anymore. Just complete dead silence. It sucks.

Or the exact opposite, where a single sneeze or cough has someone making a COVID "joke".

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I got am email from Comcast once with the subject “A gift for you!” or some poo poo. For some reason my sixth sense tingled and it was a legit 100 dollar Amazon gift card for no particular reason.

gently caress Comcast anyway.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Extra row of tits posted:

Advertising in mobile games.

It used to be an ad every now and then with the option to watch more ads to get free crap in game.

Now it’s ads after everything you do, you’re offered ads for bonuses and if you choose no you get an ad anyway (but sans bonus) and the length of the ads has been creeping up and up.. I get 90 second ads now’s.

Added bonus: the way 99% of games are now just Chinese ad generators with zero actual gameplay, plot and in some cases sound! Sure, I believe your rating of 500 000 five star ratings but only two written (negative) reviews is honest.

I downloaded Words With Friends 2 to play with my grandma, and it's close to unplayable with ads. And they charge like $25/month for ad free, who the gently caress is paying that for a lovely scrabble ripoff? Just scamming old people, I guess. My grandma doesn't pay that, but she's had multiple strangers start games with her and try to scam her too, which she is thankfully able to recognize. I had to stop playing, sorry g.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Lowe’s has been discontinuing a lot of stuff for no discernible reason other than that it doesn’t sell at all or very well, so off it goes to clearance and then discontinuation. A lot of the stuff is for older homes and hard-to-find items that used to be in stock at the local hardware store before Lowe’s came in and ran them out of business.

There is no reason to drop these items because they’re not replaced by anything new or different. There’s a Home Depot further away that 8 out of 10 times may still carry it, but HD eventually discontinues carrying the item, too. Ace Hardware will usually carry it and never discontinue it, but they’re always out of stock; ALWAYS.

It’s always gonna be a part you need right then and there where you can’t wait for Amazon next day or whatever. It sucks poo poo.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Volcott posted:

Winamp will never bite you and throw you in the basement.

Winamp shills NFTs and is an offbrand spotify knockoff these days.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

the smiths are good and the algorithm WILL have you acknowledge it

I don't use Spotify that much anymore but when I did I rarely took its recommendations and I never used playlists. I would add and listen to music pretty much exclusively by album.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Winamp shills NFTs and is an offbrand spotify knockoff these days.

I made this post during Real Sleep Deprivation Hours and should have specified I meant the copy of Winamp v5.666 that I keep on a flash drive with Media Player Classic-HC and some other stuff in case the internet dies and I need functional apps that just work:tm: by virtue of not being updated in 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
My theory is the rise of content creation and social media stars has led to more dog owners. Because it's such a quick and efficient way to make a scroller pause and watch your content, generate engagement. What quicker way to a person's heartstrings? Same simple reason there's so many babies/cats/dogs in TV commercials.

Remember like a year ago when some YouTube woman bought a new puppy and accidentally posted herself kicking and slapping it because it wasn't cute enough and didn't rocket her to stardom? Dog ownership is on the rise bc it's a career move

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh yeah. The latest one I've seen, that's hit my inbox (PRIMARY folder, no less, not even shunted to the updates or promotional folders/labels) are scams claiming to be from Lowes' Home Depot, or Harbor Freight wanting me to do a survey to win some product. I distinctly remember the fake Lowes' ones claimed I'd get a Yeti cooler backpack.

And it wasn't, like, one or two that got through. It was a weird surge where for a week or two, I'd get multiple emails DAILY to "take a survey to claim my prize" or something. Every time I hit the button in Gmail to flag it, but still got more...I did searching, and LOTS of people in various forums or the google help boards were literally complaining about the EXACT. SAME. EMAILS. Then after a week or two, they'd finally stop...only to appear again a couple months later for another week or two.

I think so far it's happened three times and each time it was from a different one of those three hardware/tool stores. I expect the next batch will be fake ones from Tractor Supply, Co or like Acme Tools?

I get an endless barrage of this too. Right in my main mailbox, with phone notification and everything. So aggravating.