Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Also Keuchel a year before the cutoff who burned bright and burned fast

He came in at the perfect time: right when pitch framing was becoming a thing but before the umps had adjusted to it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I read and post in several Facebook vintage baseball-type groups (yeah, I know) and also on some similar subreddits.

One of the things that has come to really annoy me is the insistence, which from what I can tell comes mostly from Boomers and Boomer-adjacent people, that Mickey Mantle hit one 630 feet during an exhibition game against the USC baseball team, and that he hit one in a regular season game against Washington that went 565 feet. And that Ruth used to hit homers in excess of 500 feet with regularity, both in exhibition and regular season games.

I realize this is a rant, so scroll on down if you don’t want to read.

Now, I’m boomer-adjacent myself… I was born in 1969, and even though I never saw Mantle play, he’s one of those players from before my time that I love. Along with Williams, Koufax, etc.

I know the game was different in all these previous eras, but man… we have seen players who were a lot bigger and stronger than Mantle or Ruth or any of them play in the statcast era, and in all that time, we’ve seen something like
three or four regular season dingers hit over 500 feet.

We also have a lot better understanding of baseball physics now, what is possible and what is not possible. Drag. Air resistance. Wind. Bat speed. Etc. etc.

I’ve no doubt that Mantle was strong. Any casual search of pictures of him shows that. And I think he’s a great story and everything, but he never hit a ball 565’ or 620’.

Come on. Neither did Ruth.

If anybody was going to do this in this modern era, it would have been roided-up Bonds, or Ryan Howard. Maybe Frank Thomas or somebody like that.

And the best Howard could do was something like 504’

As much as I love Ted Williams, I’ve been to Fenway… and I don’t think even with a strong wind, he could have hit that famous green seat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bees x1000 posted:

Trout's numbers aren't included, he was drafted in 2009

What an interesting note.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

MrMojok posted:

I read and post in several Facebook vintage baseball-type groups (yeah, I know) and also on some similar subreddits.

One of the things that has come to really annoy me is the insistence, which from what I can tell comes mostly from Boomers and Boomer-adjacent people, that Mickey Mantle hit one 630 feet during an exhibition game against the USC baseball team, and that he hit one in a regular season game against Washington that went 565 feet. And that Ruth used to hit homers in excess of 500 feet with regularity, both in exhibition and regular season games.

Now, I’m boomer-adjacent myself… I was born in 1969, and even though I never saw Mantle play, he’s one of those players from before my time that I love. Along with Williams, Koufax, etc.

I know the game was different in all these previous eras, but man… we have seen players who were a lot bigger and stronger than Mantle or Ruth or any of them play in the statcast era, and in all that time, we’ve seen something like

We also have a lot better understanding of baseball physics now, what is possible and what is not possible. Drag. Air resistance. Wind. Bat speed. Etc. etc.

I’ve no doubt that Mantle was strong. Any casual search of pictures of him shows that. And I think he’s a great story and everything, but he never hit a ball 565’ or 620’.

If anybody was going to do this in this modern era, it would have been roided-up Bonds, or Ryan Howard. Maybe Frank Thomas or somebody like that.

As much as I love Ted Williams, I’ve been to Fenway… and I don’t think even with a strong wind, he could have hit that famous green seat.

I remember reading somewhere that they used to measure where the ball stopped rolling, not where it first touched the ground, at least in the Ruth era.

I don’t believe Mantle hit a 630 foot one but I do wonder what Statcast would say about the one that hit the façade, or the ones he hit to center when the monuments were still in play.

Mantle was freaky strong. He attributed it to working in coal mines before getting to the majors.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

e: gently caress, finally got an immaculate grid

What's interesting to me is the "played for x and y" ones always have a zillion answers and I can never think of one. Part of it is that I don't keep track of transactions well, and the other part is that I REALLY don't follow the NL, so almost any time there's an NL team involved I'm at a complete and utter loss.

That said, I got 8/9 this time, which is my best so far, with a couple really low percentage guesses. It's interesting what the brain holds onto.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

there could be several afternoon games on April 8, 2024 that would be directly under or near the totality of a total solar eclipse; and others that could receive a partial eclipse
https://twitter.com/marcusgilmer/status/1679628457813106689?s=20

Toronto is hosting Seattle and the Rangers are hosting the Astros and both home stadiums are in the path of totality. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St Louis all have home games that day and are all on the edge of that path.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 14, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

will_colorado posted:

there could be several afternoon games on April 8, 2024 that would be directly under or near the totality of a total solar eclipse; and others that could receive a partial eclipse

Toronto is hosting Seattle and the Rangers are hosting the Astros and both home stadiums are in the path of totality. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St Louis all have home games that day and are all on the edge of that path.

Toronto is on the edge. It won't quite be total.

Worth noting the totality will be in Cleveland at about 3:15pm local, so... Hm! They'll probably be the most affected. I'm sure they'll have the roof closed at Rogers Centre, and everyone knows there's no sky in Dallas. So tune into the Guards game, where they'll have a night game during the day, I guess. :v:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I would not be surprised if the dome in toronto was closed that day, it would be a very toronto thing to do

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

What's interesting to me is the "played for x and y" ones always have a zillion answers and I can never think of one. Part of it is that I don't keep track of transactions well, and the other part is that I REALLY don't follow the NL, so almost any time there's an NL team involved I'm at a complete and utter loss.

Another part is if you look at the possible answers 95% of them are people who played before WWII

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

my morning jackass posted:

I would not be surprised if the dome in toronto was closed that day, it would be a very toronto thing to do

It is never open that early in the year because it pretty much cannot be without several days above a certain temperature.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rickiep00h posted:

That said, I got 8/9 this time, which is my best so far, with a couple really low percentage guesses. It's interesting what the brain holds onto.

This one is especially wild because the Braves/Pirates number is so high and yet so many of the possible answers were decades ago.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

MrMojok posted:

With the Judge 'sweet' balls last year, I wonder what kind of garbage-rear end ball consistency they had in the Ruth days and even some rando ball from 50s would be like. Has anyone ever done a test on how those balls compare to modern ones or would it be inconclusive due to 60-100 years of sitting around soaking up moisture/drying out?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

will_colorado posted:

Someone needs to hit a dinger during totality else we will never unlock the secrets of the universe.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mustached Demon posted:

Someone needs to hit a dinger during totality else we will never unlock the secrets of the universe.

Someone call up Ichiro to play One More Game for the Mariners.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Got a rare 9/9 today and came "too chicken to guess this cool answer cause it might be wrong" away from a rarity score of 65.
Yes, Tony Fernandez played for the Reds.
Sigh. Ended up having to use what was the most popular answer and ended up at 101.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mustached Demon posted:

Castellanos

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

It would be a real shame to force players to keep playing during the brief few minutes of totality, instead of allowing them to stop work for 5 minutes to take in one of the most awesome natural spectacles

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

It would be a real shame to force players to keep playing during the brief few minutes of totality, instead of allowing them to stop work for 5 minutes to take in one of the most awesome natural spectacles

You absolutely know at least one of them would look without eye protection. Probably more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I bet you can look at an eclipse, astronomers are just trying to hog them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently the Angels are at least listening to Shohei offers

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1679857268416757760?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Poque posted:

Castellanos

that's just what we need, the moon to crash into the planet.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

will_colorado posted:

that's just what we need, the moon to crash into the planet.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mash

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

You absolutely know at least one of them would look without eye protection. Probably more.

zoux posted:

I bet you can look at an eclipse, astronomers are just trying to hog them
During totality it is perfectly safe to look directly at the eclipse without any protection.

In fact that's the only way you'll see the whole show.

This is ONLY during totality, which is a brief period in space and time. ONLY in that narrow band you see on the maps, and ONLY for about 4 minutes (or less depending on location).

I'll go ahead and take this opportunity to promote the Total Solar Eclipse 2024 thread over in TGO for anyone interested.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 14, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GO gently caress YOURSELF ARTE

GOD drat IT

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

That seems like one of those "We'll listen to you offer us all your good players and stadium revenue for the next 10 years for him" things that isn't actually being open to a trade

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Guess they are already conceding the season

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't see how trading volpe and every other good prospect they have for Ohtani makes the Yankees a world series team.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The real trick to Immaculate Grid is to just spam guess Edwin Jackson and Octavio Dotel and Matt Stairs and all those dudes that played for literally everyone

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Angels are back under .500 and have lost Trout at least through August, potentially for the rest of the year. They're not going to be able to extend Ohtani and they're not going to convince him to re-sign in free agency. I realize on an emotional level it's devastating for fans, but flipping him for a quality return is 100% the correct move, unless the Angles are going to go all in and buy at the deadline instead, because if Ohtani walks for nothing and the Angels don't have a ring to show for it, the FO done hosed up.

I see trading for Ohtani as nothing more than a "win now" move. Again I just don't see any team being able to seduce maybe the most coveted player in MLB history away from testing FA with an extension offer, so you are taking a torch to your farm for two months of the best baseball player on the planet in hopes that he'll help you get a ring. Also I guess from a metagame standpoint he'll boost your offense across the board since he's hitting enough HR's that pretty soon MLB is going to start feeding juiced balls to the games he's in so they can hype up more potential record breaking.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I don't see how trading volpe and every other good prospect they have for Ohtani makes the Yankees a world series team.

Ya they should trade prospects for another As starter instead imo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

There's no way to Win Now by trading the best player on the planet. You'd have to get literally an entire new team in return.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

but flipping him for a quality return
this is the hard part and the reason a trade still seems unlikely to me

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Agreed. Ohtani (especially without Trout) is a huge draw for ticket sales and people watching Angels games, on top of the massive fan backlash to him being traded there would also be a probably pretty substantial loss in revenue that he brings in. So in return the Angels are going to want a lot and I just don't see other teams willing to do that for a half season rental.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Intruder posted:

The Braves payroll is almost that so just imagine a few more wins for the best team in the league

e: gently caress, finally got an immaculate grid

I was so pumped to get Todd Van Poppel

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

My roommate and I were talking about this yesterday and yeah, I think squaring what a rental of Ohtani is actually worth is difficult. He's a combo MVP-caliber hitter and Cy-caliber starter who only takes up one roster spot, that's just a ridiculous amount of value. At the end of the day it is still just a rental though, so I doubt teams are going to want to burn their farms down Soto-trade style to bring him in. Maybe there is a team (Yankees?) that's crazy enough to go all in and offer up all the prospects on the hope they can both win it all and convince Ohtani to stick around by offering him a blank check, but I think most teams wouldn't be willing to offer more than a Top 5 farm guy, a Top 10 farm guy, and some lottery tickets (and even that's pretty brutal for a rental).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MrMojok posted:

Believing those sorts of stories about baseball is beneficial to the sport and humanity imo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

God loving Damnit. That's the nail in the coffin for 3000 K's this year

https://twitter.com/mlbnetworkradio/status/1679933123528671249

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

rickiep00h posted:

There's no way to Win Now by trading the best player on the planet. You'd have to get literally an entire new team in return.

If having only Ohtani and another top 5 to 10 guy in the league with a bunch of mediocrity around them was enough to win then the Angels wouldn't be where they are and thinking about dealing him in the first place

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

bawfuls posted:

fwiw one of the plugged in Mariners guys thinks that the Dodgers are the only team who is realistically in on an Ohtani deal and the names that come up are

RHP Bobby Miller
RHP Tony Gonsolin
OF James Outman
C Diego Cartaya

I think that's probably the best return the Angels would get too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nodoze posted:

If having only Ohtani and another top 5 to 10 guy in the league with a bunch of mediocrity around them was enough to win then the Angels wouldn't be where they are and thinking about dealing him in the first place

It occurs to me that I absolutely misread the post is was initially replying to. My brain (with worms therein) assumed "win now" applied to the Angels, not the team that might potentially receive Ohtani.

I have brought shame upon the house and line of rickiep00h.