Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Great Moon Knight this week - Moon Knight and 8-Ball is a team-up I didn't know we needed but I'm glad we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Great Moon Knight this week - Moon Knight and 8-Ball is a team-up I didn't know we needed but I'm glad we have.

Agreed. His unexpected face turn was great.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
they did what everyone seems to have been thinking they would

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1679846479605780480

quote:

Iman Vellani, the actor who plays Kamala in the Marvel Cinematic Universe — starting with last year's Ms. Marvel series on Disney+, and continuing on the big screen with The Marvels later this year — will co-write the new comic alongside Ms. Marvel TV writer Sabir Pirzada. Carlos Gomez and Adam Gorham will handle the art, and Sara Pichelli will provide the main covers.

"This was way scarier than joining the MCU for me," Vellani tells EW. "Those projects feel like they live in their own dimension, so I guess I can separate myself easier. But you can hold a comic book! I've never written anything before in my entire life, but I have read many comics, so I just wrote what I would want to read. I was given a very professional tool to write what is essentially my own fan fiction."

In a nod to that big revelation from the Ms. Marvel series finale, the new comic will be titled Ms. Marvel: The New Mutant. Like her onscreen counterpart, the comic version of Kamala is officially a mutant now. That's also the explanation for why she's coming back so soon, because modern Marvel readers know that the X-Men have mastered the art of bringing mutants back to life.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
well, she's still (also) an Inhuman and still has the stretch powers and McKelvie did a cool costume design, so that's not nearly as bad as it could have been. the way her death was done is still pretty inexcusable though

Wanderer posted:

Steve Orlando threaded an interesting needle in today's Scarlet Witch by having Billy call Wanda his mom and Mrs. Kaplan his "bio-mom."

I've gone on record as not much caring for the weird and roundabout way that Heinberg brought Billy and Tommy back to life, but I think I still prefer this to ignoring that entirely and just writing them as though Wanda is their only mom

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 14, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Okay, I wasn't expecting Iman to write it but that's amazing. I'm glad she's on board.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's cool, but they definitely didn't need to do all this to get to that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
if Kamala is a mutant and an Inhuman, does that mean that she's the Beyonder now

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FoneBone posted:

they did what everyone seems to have been thinking they would

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1679846479605780480

Okay, I was wrong, ah well. It is very cool that Vellani's co-writing the book. Announce season 2 already :argh:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
At the rate Disney is going this comic is gonna be her last involvement with the character

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ok, I'll gladly admit that's an interesting (in a good way) choice for writer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Frankly I'm just glad her big fist on the cover seems to indicate they're keeping her powers the same.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Frankly I'm just glad her big fist on the cover seems to indicate they're keeping her powers the same.

She says it in the interview. But it also looks like she'll get some energy powers too.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/ms-marvel-the-new-mutant-comic-book-series-iman-vellani

This also confirms she'll be brought back at the Hellfire Gala.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 14, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

She says it in the interview. But it also looks like she'll get some energy powers too.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/ms-marvel-the-new-mutant-comic-book-series-iman-vellani

This also confirms she'll be brought back at the Hellfire Gala.

I think that's just Artgerm doing stuff to indicate motion, not energy powers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh, huh, they're keeping the Inhumans thing so she's both? That's honestly unexpected and actually pretty cool 'cuz it now allows them the leeway in the MCU itself to eventually reveal stretching powers, right along with the light powers, if they want to.

Also a hybrid mutant Inhuman is weirdly right up my alley. What other superpowered thing can we also say Kamala is, a couple years down the line? :xd:

I take back any mean things I said about this story (except for the actual death which has still been pretty balls)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Oh, huh, they're keeping the Inhumans thing so she's both? That's honestly unexpected and actually pretty cool 'cuz it now allows them the leeway in the MCU itself to eventually reveal stretching powers, right along with the light powers, if they want to.

Also a hybrid mutant Inhuman is weirdly right up my alley. What other superpowered thing can we also say Kamala is, a couple years down the line? :xd:

I take back any mean things I said about this story (except for the actual death which has still been pretty balls)

If she's a mutant she can also be an External!

Also she's not the first Inhuman-mutant. Luna technically is (though born human then later mutated with Terrigen Crystals)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nuh uh, Luna was. :sweatdrop: Now that Quicksilver's not a mutant, Luna's actually "just" Inhuman.

Hybrid status dethroned by Kamala. Tragic for her.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It is kind of weird, because there are a few major stories about how mutants and inhumans are physiologically incompatible; terrigen gas killing off or sterilizing mutants in IvX and Luna initially being powerless due to her mixed heritage. But it's also inconsistent; I assume Quicksilver no longer being a mutant makes Luna just an inhuman, and Quicksilver has previously experimented with using terrigen crystals to give mutants powers back after MDay, though the results were dangerously unstable. And as mentioned, Beyonder was at one point theorized to be a successful mutant-inhuman hybrid, though that's been out of continuity since at least Secret Wars. I assume the comic will give a fresh explanation though.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 14, 2023

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Best not to think too much about it, imo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm a bit more mixed about Iman co-writing than the rest of you it seems. I actually really loved the Ms. Marvel show, don't get me wrong, I honestly think it's in the top 3 MCU shows so far, and she was great in it, but I don't necessarily think that an actor should also write the character.

Also now that she's apparently a mutant/inhuman, it is time to open the floodgates and give her all the stuff. By the end of this decade I want Ms. Marvel to be a Skrull/Mutant/Inhuman/Shi'ar/Eternal Beyonder.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eh, an enthusiastic amateur co-writing isn't necessarily a bad thing. why her? well, why not her?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gologle posted:

I'm a bit more mixed about Iman co-writing than the rest of you it seems. I actually really loved the Ms. Marvel show, don't get me wrong, I honestly think it's in the top 3 MCU shows so far, and she was great in it, but I don't necessarily think that an actor should also write the character.

considering some of the people they got writing these things right now I don't see how an actor could be worse

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I'm usually put off by celebrities writing books. There was something recently that looked interesting enough but I saw it was written by one of the Black Eyed Peas. No thanks. I tried the first issue of Steelworks over at DC, Michael Dorn wrote that, not that good. Paul Scheer did one that I didn't enjoy, etc etc. The only enjoyable celeb book i can recall is the one Patton Oswalt did, but he had cowriters and it was a new property.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
umbrella academy was good enough to make up for all of that garbage.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean iman at least knows the character and apparently has a background in actually reading the comics, so it isn't exactly "jj abrams paid marvel to let his kid write a spider-man book"

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

site posted:

i mean iman at least knows the character and apparently has a background in actually reading the comics, so it isn't exactly "jj abrams paid marvel to let his kid write a spider-man book"

I could be good! Given her passion for the character I’ll give it a shot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Iman Vellani is a comic book fan first. I've got no worries about her ability to write comics.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

If nothing else, I'll give it a shot out of respect for a fellow fan landing another dream gig, though I don't have particularly high expectations. Hopefully she'll surprise me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I was thinking about why my thoughts on this storyline went through such a 180 degree shift so easily, and I think someone on the Cerebro discord said it best that this is such a stark example of additive writing as opposed to destructive writing.

Codependent Poster posted:

Iman Vellani is a comic book fan first. I've got no worries about her ability to write comics.
eeeeeeeehhhhh I think she'll end up being fine but I would absolutely worry about the capacity of any/all comic book fans to write comics. :sweatdrop:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would write the best comic. Everyone is saying this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It depends on if the person is a fan of the comics or if they're just a known name getting into comics just because (think that recent comic by JJ Abrams and his son). Brian Posehn is not a super well known comedian to a broad general audience but he is well known celebrity. And he co-wrote probably the best run of Deadpool comics that were ever written. Patton Oswalt and Scott Aukerman have both done smaller stints writing and both were very well received. By all accounts Iman is a super fan of the comics. She apparently grilled Feige over a lot of stuff when she got the part. As long as the person is co-writing and is familiar with the material it's fine. I'd be much more worried if she was writing on her own, but they're smart enough to put her with someone in the industry to guide her.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I’ve been keeping it hidden for years but I’m actually Dan Slott

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Joe Fisto posted:

Please let someone else write Spider-Verse comics, Dan.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We're talking about a girl who on a red carpet once pointed out that Spider-Man Far From Home got the universe number of the MCU wrong and said according to the comics it was Earth 199999. She's gonna be fine.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Please let someone else write Spider-Verse comics, Dan.

Oh you love Spider Boy! Admit it!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I actually do like Spider-Boy. Slott's problems have never been concepts. They've always been execution and not knowing when to wrap something up and leaving it to linger past its due date.

Superior Spider-Man, Silk, Spider-Verse, Billionaire Peter with Prowler and Mockingbird as a team, Doc Ock still trying to turn into a hero after losing to Peter, all great concepts.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 14, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I will probably never stop being mad at them getting rid of Parker Industries

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i actually liked that brief period

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think even the most ardent of Slott haters would have to admit that the Parker Industries era of his run was hitting on all cylinders. It was a fun new dynamic and gave us a good supporting cast. If anything that's one time in his run that something was cut short before it had run out of steam.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
peter having a giant company was a bit much, but having him own a much smaller company would be a good direction for him. it's too bad that well is poisoned now. he literally cannot hold down any job with regular hours. he'll always ditch any other obligations to go be spider-man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

:mods: