Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They did do the whole movie in Comanche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MrMojok posted:

They did do the whole movie in Comanche

Didn't they only dub it? I give them half a point for that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

When it first came out you had an option to listen to the dialogue in actual Comanche, with English subs

e: I never understood the hatred for this film. I think it’s great, and I’d buy a copy on Blu if they released it.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Prey was awesome, easily the third best in the series. Only issue I had was that it seemed a little too…clean. The first two Predator movies were a lot more grimy/grainy, which was the style at the time.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MrMojok posted:

When it first came out you had an option to listen to the dialogue in actual Comanche, with English subs

e: I never understood the hatred for this film. I think it’s great, and I’d buy a copy on Blu if they released it.

Right but the comanche is dubbed over the movie. It wasn't filmed in comanche. Which is why I reward them half a point. Movie owns.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol that was never gonna fuckin happen

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Half. A. Point. :colbert:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MrMojok posted:

Did they take this away? :(

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Neo Rasa posted:

Did they take this away? :(

No, it's under Extras on Disney+

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Red Rox posted:

Prey was awesome, easily the third best in the series. Only issue I had was that it seemed a little too…clean. The first two Predator movies were a lot more grimy/grainy, which was the style at the time.

You can say this about most modern movies. Production design standards changing seem to have changed a lot, and it's like they don't want films to get as gritty and messy as they used to. The switch from film to digital, and the need to make each frame is pristine as possible also contributes. Evocative lighting has seemingly become a lost art, and now everything looks like it has safe sitcom lighting.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MrMojok posted:

This is pretty much the first I'm hearing of the hatred in here. I'm pretty sure we all universally liked it when it was released.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You can say this about most modern movies. Production design standards changing seem to have changed a lot, and it's like they don't want films to get as gritty and messy as they used to. The switch from film to digital, and the need to make each frame is pristine as possible also contributes. Evocative lighting has seemingly become a lost art, and now everything looks like it has safe sitcom lighting.

I was okay with it in this case. I know it was just done because That's How Movies Look now but for the setting and time period it was a nice contrast to how the present day flicks look.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Biplane posted:

Right but the comanche is dubbed over the movie. It wasn't filmed in comanche. Which is why I reward them half a point. Movie owns.

Oh, yeah. I get you now.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

IDK if I'd agree that the move to high-resolution digital has done away with evocative lighting and 'grit', just that for a lot of us that 'grit' is so strongly associated with film grain and stark contrast that seeing a higher degree of fidelity doesn't feel that way to us; the lighting and shot composition in Nolan's Batman (and other) films is certainly 'gritty' to me, as well Villeneuve's whole oeuvre has some serious grit in ways I can't put a finger on. This is getting dangerously close to another analog vs. digital debate though so all I'll say is that I liked how Prey did have some 'grit' in it - in the contrast of the dirty Frenchman fur trappers against the, for lack of a better term, purity and dignity of the Comanche tribe.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 13, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Outland trip report: Took me a very long time to get around to watching it, but I enjoyed it a lot. Even though it's not explicitly set in the same universe as Alien, it drat well could be. The company in the movie (Con-Am) could very easily be another competitor to Weyland-Yutani, like Seegson was in Alien: Isolation. And the aesthetic and mood that Peter Hyams went for compares very well against the look Ridley Scott achieved with Alien.

I read an interview with Hyams where he was talking about being offered 2010: The Year We Make Contact, and he said he would only do the movie if he had Kubrick's blessing. One day Kubrick called him, and when they got on the phone the first thing Kubrick did was ask Hyams a bunch of questions about Outland: how were the SFX achieved, how did he decide on a certain shot, what kind of lenses did he use, and so on (and when Hyams eventually got around to asking him if he was ok with Hyams making a sequel to 2001, Kubrick's reponse was "oh sure, no problem, just make it your film is all I ask").

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fatrick posted:

No, it's under Extras on Disney+

Is this non America Disney+? I don't see it listed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redshirt posted:

It was on Hulu in the US.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Icon Of Sin posted:

It was on Hulu in the US.

Correct. It still is!

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

redshirt posted:

I'm from the Great White North, eh

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Fatrick posted:

I'm from the Great White North, eh

so, you're inclined to like The Thing instead?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm in New Zealand and I can watch it on my Disney+.

I can't get Ravenous unless I use a VPN though, which is annoying. Oddly enough, that film shot to number 1 at the Kiwi box office back when it was released in 1999, so you'd think it would be available down here, yet here we are.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

edogawa rando posted:

I'm in New Zealand and I can watch it on my Disney+.

I can't get Ravenous unless I use a VPN though, which is annoying. Oddly enough, that film shot to number 1 at the Kiwi box office back when it was released in 1999, so you'd think it would be available down here, yet here we are.

You got Predator, Alien, and Sweet Home Alabama! What do you have to complain about?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I like to think that Alien, Predator and Sweet Home Alabama take place in the same universe.

PROVE THAT IT DOESN'T, NAYSAYERS. PROVE THAT IT DOESN'T.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Prey is on Disney+ on all markets except the US, where it's on Hulu.

I'm just happy watchw.me streamed it with the Comanche audio.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Android Apocalypse posted:

Prey is on Disney+ on all markets except the US, where it's on Hulu.

I'm just happy watchw.me streamed it with the Comanche audio.

not me. I just changed my location using a vpn. Click the link in details to find out more!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

edogawa rando posted:

I like to think that Alien, Predator and Sweet Home Alabama take place in the same universe.

PROVE THAT IT DOESN'T, NAYSAYERS. PROVE THAT IT DOESN'T.

It gets hot as gently caress down south, I am sure Yautja LOVE Alabama, just the ones that go there are big into college football.

'clickclickclick Boomer Sooner...'

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wow, those screenshots are super Alienesque.

Yeah, it really is in the same universe.

I thought I was the only one who remembered that one, it's good to see it hasn't been completely forgotten.

Xenomrph posted:

The Alien RPG has some cute easter-egg references to Outland.

No kidding? Can I ask what/where?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Robert Facepalmer posted:

It gets hot as gently caress down south, I am sure Yautja LOVE Alabama, just the ones that go there are big into college football.

'clickclickclick Boomer Sooner...'

:actually: the call would be "Roll Tide."

Xenomorphs would be chittering "Boomer Sooner" as they are Big 12 fans.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cessna posted:

Yeah, it really is in the same universe.

I thought I was the only one who remembered that one, it's good to see it hasn't been completely forgotten.

No kidding? Can I ask what/where?

The station itself is mentioned in the book and is on the map of the galaxy also IIRC, there's also a character/creator names (like Officer Hyams) here and there. Also while not a major aspect of the game by default, the balance of drug trade across the colonies of both the recreational and "this lets you work way harder/whatever" is given more prominence than I was expecting in the Alien RPG book and it felt very Outland-adjacent to me with regards to the balance of how much corporations officially give a poo poo about that or not vs. making more money/etc.

I really love that flick.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That's amazing, thanks for passing that along.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol that was never gonna fuckin happen

It's cowardace.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Plays a new game of Knifey Fingers

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

alright, that's kinda funny

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love that Gorman got to go out like a champ.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

redshirt posted:

I love that Gorman got to go out like a champ.

That's worth at least a point in the movie's x/10 score. Not because he was cool, but because he wasn't.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

That's worth at least a point in the movie's x/10 score. Not because he was cool, but because he wasn't.

Gorman and Burke are the human antagonists, and they are introduced together, as a pair.

But in the end, Gorman is a Marine and goes out like a Marine, and Burke is a corporate piece of poo poo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I loved Gorman’s mini-arc. At the first briefing you wouldn’t have really expected him to go back in for Vas like that. Vas was even the one saying “we don’t leave our people behind!” about Apone/Dietrich after they got carted off to become parents, and he lived up to that in the end.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

At the end of the day, Gorman's biggest failings were that he was lacking in experience which made him overcompensate by being such a stickler for formality and rules, and that he lacked the ability to think flexibly on his feet, e.g., him overcomplicating instructions to Apone over the radio, and freezing under pressure when poo poo was really hitting the fan at an even greater rate than it was a few minutes ago. It doesn't make him a bad person, it just made him a bad leader that had potential to grow into the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

At the end of the day, Gorman's biggest failings were that he was lacking in experience which made him overcompensate by being such a stickler for formality and rules, and that he lacked the ability to think flexibly on his feet, e.g., him overcomplicating instructions to Apone over the radio, and freezing under pressure when poo poo was really hitting the fan at an even greater rate than it was a few minutes ago. It doesn't make him a bad person, it just made him a bad leader that had potential to grow into the role.

Probably helped by Al Matthews being a former marine, William Hope loving nailed the “inexperienced LT in over his head” role.

I love that he came back to be the voice of Marshal Waits in Alien: Isolation too :)