Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Vox Nihili posted:

They have a plant in Kansas? I was only familiar with their gigantic facility in Indiana.

A while ago I used to drive by there, and it was wild how you would go past and the air just smelled like sweet corn for a mile around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Flappy Bert posted:

A while ago I used to drive by there, and it was wild how you would go past and the air just smelled like sweet corn for a mile around.

I think you meant to say mellow corn.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

They have a plant in Kansas? I was only familiar with their gigantic facility in Indiana.

It looks like they weren't making whiskey in Kansas, anyway.

Industrial Ethanol, yeah. Corn went up, commodities got fucky with inflation and higher interest rates, so they’re winding down the plant. I don’t know what this means on a macro level, but it’s not the Indiana plant which is MGPI (the I is for ingredients, it’s their whisky plant). They acquired Luxco to have in-house brands and are turning their production from contract and sourcing towards in-house stuff, so there’s that.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Any North Carolina goons? We have a thriving distillery scene here but I don’t have a good idea where to start and my first two tries were Lonerider whiskey (was fine) and Old North State (was not fine).

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

GordonComstock posted:

Any North Carolina goons? We have a thriving distillery scene here but I don’t have a good idea where to start and my first two tries were Lonerider whiskey (was fine) and Old North State (was not fine).

Have you tried Asheville Distilling Company? I know my parents were a fan of them.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Klungar posted:

Have you tried Asheville Distilling Company? I know my parents were a fan of them.
Eda Rhyne is making killer amari out that way, also

blueshifting
Sep 27, 2015
College Slice

bloody ghost titty posted:

Industrial Ethanol, yeah. Corn went up, commodities got fucky with inflation and higher interest rates, so they’re winding down the plant. I don’t know what this means on a macro level, but it’s not the Indiana plant which is MGPI (the I is for ingredients, it’s their whisky plant). They acquired Luxco to have in-house brands and are turning their production from contract and sourcing towards in-house stuff, so there’s that.

There's a scramble in the NDP scene because of what you just described. MGP used to be THE place to get sourced whiskey from, and now their stocks have tightened up considerably. This goes along with most of their extra-aged stock being bought up over the years.

Now NDPs have to look for other sources for their whiskey, or, as some are doing, go the Independent Bottler model and buy new make and age it themselves. NDPs without deep pockets will have a rougher go of this, though, as all of a sudden, very quick investment turnarounds become 5+ year commitments.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Is it really that big a deal to have fewer overpriced craft-branded-but-it's-really-MGP on the shelves? If these producers are starting to age spirit themselves at least they're doing something instead of just relabeling MGP

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
On Saturday I'm running a whiskey tasting for some friends and acquaintances, and I've never done it before. Aside from the whiskey itself, what else should I think about? Water for people to add to compare the difference? I'd like to provide some robust snacks since it will be around dinner time -- various cheeses, crackers, nuts, hummus, dark chocolate -- any other ideas there? What else am I forgetting?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Muir posted:

On Saturday I'm running a whiskey tasting for some friends and acquaintances, and I've never done it before. Aside from the whiskey itself, what else should I think about? Water for people to add to compare the difference? I'd like to provide some robust snacks since it will be around dinner time -- various cheeses, crackers, nuts, hummus, dark chocolate -- any other ideas there? What else am I forgetting?

Something for the drivers.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Something for peoples hands. Like a fact sheet or a notebook or something like that.

e: and spring water and ice. Multiple glasses as well, including rocks and glencairns

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Something for peoples hands. Like a fact sheet or a notebook or something like that.

I assume you meant this, but I guess I'll clarify that there should be blank space for each dram on the fact sheet so people can make their own notes. So yeah, pens/pencils too.

Also depending on your audience and how informal this tasting is. Might want to be prepared for people to smoke.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, that’s it. Having info available for the bottles and a place for people to write their own tasting notes is a pretty big thing.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Thanks all! Very helpful.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Muir posted:

I think you have the right idea. A full charcuterie spread is really fun when you're tasting anything (beer, wine, or whiskey). Soft and hard cheeses, prosciutto and salami, honey, spicy mustard, dried fruits, nuts, etc.

Maybe some stuff for mixing drinks after the fact when people get bored/palate exhausted with neat whiskey. Certainly ice, bitters, lemon, and simple syrup are all welcome.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just walked into a local liquor store (Oregon) and asked if they had Blanton. She had two bottles in the back for $65. Only let me buy one. Not bad for a random stop.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

The whiskey tasting went well, everyone had a great time. I had crackers, cheeses, olives, dried fruits, nuts, and it was plenty. For the whiskey I went with a bit of a split line up -- American and then Scotch:

• Lost Republic Bourbon Double Barrel
  • Whistlepig Piggyback 100% Rye Whiskey
  • St. George B&E American Whiskey

• The Exclusive Regions Orkney 9 Year Scotch Whisky
  • Kirkland Speyside Single Malt 20 Year Scotch Whisky Sherry Cask Finish
  • Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2010 Unpeated Single Malt Scotch Whisky
  • Lagavulin Islay Single Malt 16 Year Scotch Whisky

And then a couple of bonus items, a barrel aged gin and an añejo agave spirit from a distillery I love in Santa Cruz:
  • Venus Spirits Gin No. 02
  • Venus Spirits El Ladron Blue Agave Spirit Añejo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a really good time 🙂

LionArcher posted:

Just walked into a local liquor store (Oregon) and asked if they had Blanton. She had two bottles in the back for $65. Only let me buy one. Not bad for a random stop.

Hell yeah my dude

I’ve found bars in London that have Wild Turkey 101 and now I don’t know how to go to other bars

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I had a bottle of Blanton's Gold once, I think it was export-only? The bourbon was fine, I guess. I still have the stopper because it has a little horsey mans on it. That's my blantons story thanks for reading. 🤗

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What are the best Bourbons? Two metrics: what is the best overall with price being no object, and what is the best value?

My pick for best overall is Four Roses Single Barrel. My pick for best value is probably Old Forrester.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
It’s gonna be hard for anyone to beat WT101 for best value, imo. Four Roses small batch is often up there, but it is nearly twice the price, at least for me.

Best overall, there are too many options.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm a basic bitch and think Makers Mark hits the value spot. I can usually find it for like $25-$30. I can find it at any liquor store. If I'm feeling special, I can go for 46 or one of the store picks with the stave finishes.

Actually one of my barometers for a liquor store is Do they have Makers and How much is a fifth? When I see makers for $40, then I know everything else is going to be wildly overpriced. If they don't even have it, I highly doubt I'll find anything interesting worth my time to check out.

Yes there are more interesting bourbons and not everyone likes a wheater, but I always have a bottle of Makers in my liquor cabinet.

E: best overall: I really enjoyed OF Birthday but now it's a unicorn. My favorite "you can probably find it" is probably Pikesville Rye.

I'm also a fan of Old Overholt. Another liquor cabinet staple.

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 25, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

poisonpill posted:

What are the best Bourbons? Two metrics: what is the best overall with price being no object, and what is the best value?

My pick for best overall is Four Roses Single Barrel. My pick for best value is probably Old Forrester.

Best overall: I don’t make a habit of sipping top shelf whiskey, but the best I’ve had is Barrell Amida.

Best value: Knob Creek 9 year 120 proof, no question.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Kentucky Spirit
Old Forester 1920

E.H. Taylor Small Batch if you can get it for MSRP

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Best value? Bulleit. Best overall? I’m still looking, I’ll be sure to take notes from what you all suggest.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
At this point I'd be happy with Blanton's airline bottles because they make uh-mazing stocking stuffers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My favourite bourbon is either WT101 or Woodford Reserve. Old Forester is a good shout for value but it honestly might still be 101 again for me as I can frequently get it for cheap in the UK with the Tesco clubcard price

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Best: William Larue Weller
Best value: Wild Turkey Rare Breed

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

GD_American posted:

At this point I'd be happy with Blanton's airline bottles because they make uh-mazing stocking stuffers

I've never seen one in person, but I wish they would've used a regular sized horse instead of the smaller one, it would amuse me to no end.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

GD_American posted:

i would too because every place near me wants $100+ for blantons
i would drink the airline bottle

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Best value for me was the single barrel bourbon from Costco, I think from Barton 1792. It was 120 proof, 30 bucks and delicious. What a wonderful, wonderful bottle.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

"Best" bourbon I've had is Stagg Jr. Best value is OGD Bonded, and I don't think it's that close.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Best value is OGD Bonded, and I don't think it's that close.

I like OGD 114 more, but bonded also slaps. both hit so much higher than their price point. It's one of the few actual hidden gems these days like Weller and Eagle Rare and BT used to be.

I have an entire cabinet full of pretty decent bottles, but most nights I go for a pour of OGD 114. At first it was just to finish the bottle off because we used it for cocktails, but it's such a better daily sipper than most of the stuff on my shelves.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 28, 2023

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, I like 114 better as well, but for the price/ availability it's tough to beat.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

After starting to drink barrel proof whiskey, it's a little bit hard to go back to 80-90 proof stuff.

With that lens, you're looking at a lot of really high-priced and rare/allocated stuff for "best", but Old Forester 1920 and 1910 are good workhorses if a little bit ethanol hot. The team at Barrell make a lot of my favorite stuff lately, and their Stellum Single Barrels (both rye and bourbon, but I lean towards the rye) are very good value at a $50-$60 price point.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
You can't find it outside of KY I think but JTS Brown BIB for $17.99 for a 750mL bottle is surprisingly good. I initially overlooked it for a long time (because I'm a snob) but I had it the last time I was in Louisville and I'm picking more up when I'm there next month. (Twice!)

Old Forester 1920 is my usual recommendation for people who want to spend a few more $.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
George Dickel Bottled in Bond is a good value at $40-45 for usually 13 yr age statement. Russell Reserve 10yr, Rare Breed and Eagle Rare are in that price range too, then Knob Creek 120 proof, Larceny BP, Jack Daniels SBBP and Elijah Craig BP as you go up in price, for things that are realistically available.

edit: had Blanton's for the first time, last week. It gets so much backlash but was actually very good! Probably my favorite bourbon so far tbh.

ragle fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 29, 2023

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I picked up an OGD114 myself this afternoon. I haven't tasted it yet, but even in the not-cheap place I picked it up, it seemed really reasonable at $38.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Best value is Buffalo Trace when you can get it at or near MSRP. Seems to get harder and harder to find at a reasonable price. Also a big fan of WT 101.
Best overall Old Rip Van Winkle. I have gotten to try it twice and was surprised both times by how tasty it is.