Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The submarine is the first of these things where I think "I could have made that" and that's not a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

y'all are being weird. it's not about "i could afford to" it's cause going to the highest/deepest/whatever is, itself, cool. you don't have to make up dumb sociopathic reasons, "i wanted to do a cool thing and didn't care who or what was damaged for me to accomplish it" is messed up enough

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

y'all are being weird. it's not about "i could afford to" it's cause going to the highest/deepest/whatever is, itself, cool. you don't have to make up dumb sociopathic reasons, "i wanted to do a cool thing and didn't care who or what was damaged for me to accomplish it" is messed up enough

yeah, but I'm a poor sociopath and I also want accomplish things

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Achmed Jones posted:

If it was cheap lots of people would do it. If lots of people did it, it would have less value. They wouldn't do it.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Nahh, climbing Everest is nothing but rich assholes saying you will never do this. Same reason Amazon guy launched his dick into space. Same reason they imploded looking for the Titanic. I can afford to do this, you cannot. Look at me!

Conversely most of the guys who went to the moon were not rich, being government employees and all that. I think Alan Shepherd owned a beer distributorship and did OK. And I sure as hell hope Jim Lovell made some scratch from the movie deal. But, for the most part, they were not rolling in dough. When I mention this to people, I often get, "Naw, they're doing alright." Upper middle class? Sure. But it's like we equate these great achievements with being loaded.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Mercury astronauts made about $100k/yr in modern terms in salary but then I think they got double that from their Life Magazine deal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They had to do the life magazine thing because they couldn't get life insurance.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

And when the New Nine joined, Life decided they would just divide the original Mercury 7 pot instead of adding to it.

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Meanwhile, back on Mount Everest...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/11/asia/six-killed-nepal-helicopter-crash-intl-scli/index.html

NOT that I am not enjoying the OceanGate discussion here, because I am. Climbing season is over and people are still managing to die on Everest.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The cause of the crash was a combination of hubris, helicopters and physics.

RIP Nepali pilot

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

basicblack posted:

Meanwhile, back on Mount Everest...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/11/asia/six-killed-nepal-helicopter-crash-intl-scli/index.html

NOT that I am not enjoying the OceanGate discussion here, because I am. Climbing season is over and people are still managing to die on Everest.

The flight was enroute back to Kathmandu from just outside of Lukla. I did that helicopter flight and that air is... not fun to deal with.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

2023 footage of hillary step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7PaqZZFcM

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

That doesn't look like Everest. The sun is on the wrong side for a morning summit, the ridge doesn't have the path cut to the left like that (and the image isn't flipped because the logos on the clothing are fine). Where's Makalu? Lhotse? Which raises the question: What mountain is that high (needing oxygen) and that popular?

Also, this is two clips. The second half of the vid is Everest, just after the Hillary Step. Notice the direction of the sun is flipped. Also, this later footage is from a video posted on YouTube four years ago.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 14, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

That looks boring as hell standing around like cattle

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

That doesn't look like Everest. The sun is on the wrong side for a morning summit, the ridge doesn't have the path cut to the left like that (and the image isn't flipped because the logos on the clothing are fine). Where's Makalu? Lhotse? Which raises the question: What mountain is that high (needing oxygen) and that popular?

Also, this is two clips. The second half of the vid is Everest, just after the Hillary Step. Notice the direction of the sun is flipped. Also, this later footage is from a video posted on YouTube four years ago.

:pusheen:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Does Everest even exist or did rich people invent it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

Does Everest even exist or did rich people invent it.

the real everest is the posts we made

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

orange juche posted:

Starring Lowtax as Greenboots

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

orange juche posted:

So many idiots dying on the posts we made.

We should probably feel bad about that.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

dr_rat posted:

So many idiots dying on the posts we made.

We should probably feel bad about that.

Yet Iceposiedon lives another day... Did he ever do a follow up on his near-death experience?

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Yet Iceposiedon lives another day... Did he ever do a follow up on his near-death experience?

He got arrested in Thailand.
Skip to 3:30 for the apology video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW_eSViau7s

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Mynameismud posted:

Wow, he got arrested for performing a lap dance while streaming which apparently is against the law in Thailand and is facing up to five years for it, that's crazy.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 15, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

But what mountain is that in the vid? It sure doesn't look like any Hillary Step vids I have seen, but it's gotta be something that produces traffic jams at the top.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Mynameismud posted:

Woah that took a turn...

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

orange juche posted:

we have climbed such heights together.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I figured it out. It's Manaslu.

From the video:

From Wikimedia:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
(rainbolt voice) nice

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Also, holy cow Manaslu's summit does not gently caress around.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

are you telling me theres a 2nd everest?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

ethanol posted:

are you telling me theres a 2nd everest?

There's only one platonic everest, and it moves of its own ineffable accord

Some may boast to have climbed Mt. Everest, but none of them tamed the everest in their hearts

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Xlorp posted:

There's only one platonic everest, and it moves of its own ineffable accord

Some may boast to have climbed Mt. Everest, but none of them tamed the everest in their hearts

What if i don't want to have a platonic relationship with Mt. Everest and instead prefer a romantic relationship or perhaps FWB, am I allowed to gently caress it?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Conversely most of the guys who went to the moon were not rich, being government employees and all that. I think Alan Shepherd owned a beer distributorship and did OK. And I sure as hell hope Jim Lovell made some scratch from the movie deal. But, for the most part, they were not rolling in dough. When I mention this to people, I often get, "Naw, they're doing alright." Upper middle class? Sure. But it's like we equate these great achievements with being loaded.

Yeah. But there is no trip to the moon rich people can go on is there? Not yet, at least. Not knocking the first people to do these things, just the ones who have nothing else going on in their life that they decide, I'm going to spend a years salary, or more, on a frivolous trip to a dangerous destination

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Yeah. But there is no trip to the moon rich people can go on is there? Not yet, at least. Not knocking the first people to do these things, just the ones who have nothing else going on in their life that they decide, I'm going to spend a years salary, or more, on a frivolous trip to a dangerous destination

This is gonna be a thing soon enough.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

This is gonna be a thing soon enough.

That isn't good. There is enough space garbage as it is

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

orange juche posted:

What if i don't want to have a platonic relationship with Mt. Everest and instead prefer a romantic relationship or perhaps FWB, am I allowed to gently caress it?

Buddy,

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

orange juche posted:

Pounded In The Butt by the Ghost of Green Boots

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Jamsque posted:

Pounded In The Butt by the Ghost of Green Boots

is tingler the author or is it the feeling of incipient frostbite

enquiring minds want to know

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

kalleth posted:

is tingler the author or is it the feeling of incipient frostbite

enquiring minds want to know

You mean Chuck Tingle? No, he doesn't write trash

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I went and met a bunch of them a while back where they were sitting at booths, signing autographs, for a fee (minimum $150 for those who went to the moon; shuttle folks were a better bargain). And it threw me off for the whole event. Surely Michael Collins and Charlie Duke are doing just fine, right? But we just assume they live in mansions and get big speaking fees because they did those great adventures. The rich adventurers, and aspirational adventurers, are chasing that glory from the opposite end, and that feeds our perception of the wealth of the original adventurers.

Or maybe the astronauts are just anomalies. Because the rich adventurer has been a thing since ancient times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

orange juche posted:

You joke, but ecosexuality is a thing. In college I attended a guest lecture where the presenters explained what it means to have sex with soil. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone wants to bone a mountain.