Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
sword

Revenant is such an awesome class :unsmith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

El Fideo posted:

I can't figure out what half the effects on me do because when I mouse over them to read, they keep shifting away when another effect ends. That's awful.

Yeah this plus the fact that you’ve got like thirty of them running on you at once is dreadful. It really needs a ui improvement.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I think this is something different, bc I was noticing the disabled lightning effect way less long ago than that, like last year or earlier this year at least. I play tempest quite a bit just hadn't played since May or so (well, since totk) so I wondered if it was recent. I only even noticed it wasn't a skill or trait I'd chosen when I went to replicate the effect on another account & couldn't find it. I checked everything I have set on my Tempest in the wiki to see what the changes were and nothing even mentioned anything triggering on knockdown/disable/trapped etc so who knows maybe I was the beneficiary of a very fun bug. Made an awesome sound too. I'll noodle about with my original tempest some more this week & see if it still triggers.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

with regards to the balance all I wish for is that I could queue up for pug strikes/fractals/DE and not have people asking for specific roles, which was Anets initial vision

also I wish they wouldn't dumpster or rework classes so much, it really makes dropping in and out of playing or playing a lot of different classes much harder when you gotta keep rechecking what is going on

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Andrew Verse posted:

Because the latest map sucks and nobody wants to go there.

really? it doesnt seem too bad. the turtle stuff is just some dumb fun and considering the price of the weapon boxes the loot seems pretty good so far

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Unrelated to any of this, I'm looking for some pictures/gifs/mp4s/webms to add to the OP, specifically:

PvE - big meta events? random stuff? strikes/raids?
WvW - big fights? frogs?
sPvP - fun? really bad chat?

I need pictures/videos that show what they're all about. Something you look at and go "yeah, that's <game mode>".

For example, I look at this video and think "Yeah, that's what roaming in WvW means to me".
https://i.imgur.com/zlj6iIQ.mp4

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I just wish if Anet wanted people to have specific roles that you could have ANY signifier that those people were those roles in the UI, like just a marker that someone is giving quickness or alac, so hard for group leaders to remember all that poo poo as people swap characters or drop out of groups or are just silent when asked what role they are.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

joining lfg as chrono and always choosing the boon we already have

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

CODChimera posted:

with regards to the balance all I wish for is that I could queue up for pug strikes/fractals/DE and not have people asking for specific roles, which was Anets initial vision

I find this statement really confusing. Strikes/fractals/DE weren't in anet's initial vision either, and outside of those (and raids of course, also not part of the initial vision) in pve, no-one cares what role you are.

Like, if you don't want to interact with other people then why would you want to do content specifically designed for you to need to do that?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Nobody asked for specific roles in the past because playing anything besides zerk dps was trolling.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

..btt posted:

I find this statement really confusing. Strikes/fractals/DE weren't in anet's initial vision either, and outside of those (and raids of course, also not part of the initial vision) in pve, no-one cares what role you are.

Like, if you don't want to interact with other people then why would you want to do content specifically designed for you to need to do that?

I mean, cooperating in an instance and bickering about roles are very different kinds of interaction, and the less desirable one has been eliminated for most content in most MMOs.

The real problem is that Anet can't seem to poo poo or get off the pot. They envisioned the game as role free and made significant system and UI design decisions on that basis, and now they're implementing mechanics that allow/incentivise/require role based team-building, but seem not to want to (or not be able to) go back on those earlier decisions to reflect that.

It's just another example of GW2 lacking in an agreed upon vision or direction, just like how they were back and forth on how the living world would work and whether they wanted to be a PvP game or not.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Nobody asked for specific roles in the past because playing anything besides zerk dps was trolling.

That was me, the crap gear wearing Engi dropping that healing turret and blasting fools with my boomstick back when the game was newer :allears:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zeg posted:

That was me, the crap gear wearing Engi dropping that healing turret and blasting fools with my boomstick back when the game was newer :allears:

i'll never forget taking my hot pink engi into an ascalon catacombs party 10 years ago and getting kicked for just spraying everything with my flamethrower

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Deformed Church posted:

I mean, cooperating in an instance and bickering about roles are very different kinds of interaction, and the less desirable one has been eliminated for most content in most MMOs.

Am I just terminally EU-brained? I've literally never seen anyone bicker about roles.

Deformed Church posted:

The real problem is that Anet can't seem to poo poo or get off the pot. They envisioned the game as role free and made significant system and UI design decisions on that basis, and now they're implementing mechanics that allow/incentivise/require role based team-building, but seem not to want to (or not be able to) go back on those earlier decisions to reflect that.

It's just another example of GW2 lacking in an agreed upon vision or direction, just like how they were back and forth on how the living world would work and whether they wanted to be a PvP game or not.

That makes sense. There's a lot of rough edges around higher-end pve. Like getting any feedback whatsoever on your performance without using 3rd party tools.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

..btt posted:

That makes sense. There's a lot of rough edges around higher-end pve. Like getting any feedback whatsoever on your performance without using 3rd party tools.

Agreed. It seems very strange that on the one hand, CMC and the dev team are actively, rapidly balancing the game around providing specific roles/boons (ex. Alac DPS, Quick Heal, Alac Heal, etc.), but we still have to download a third party add-on and know how to configure it/use it, just to monitor our own performance. They're releasing an expansion, would it kill them to add an in-game, baked-in squad boon table and DPS meter?

I mentioned this a few pages ago, but there's also no "training ground" for practicing DPS rotations (assuming you are new), maintaining boon uptime, etc. and yet you're expected to know these things to perform well in the end game.

The training golem is a good start, just add some extra options to it. If Blish can make a DDR mini-game to teach class rotations, Anet can certainly do something.

I dunno, add some quest rewards so people had some incentive to go there and try it out.

Given the lack of game-provided tools/resources, is it really a surprise that there's such a giant gap between the highly skilled hardcore person running CMs, and the casual person who just needs to kill Minister Li in a strike mission to get their turtle? This is why I spend most of my time training strikes or helping new folks, a little bit of coaching and explanation goes a long way. That "aha" moment when a group of brand new people dominates Whisper of Jormag feels very rewarding.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 14, 2023

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

This is a very appropriate gif for this game.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i'll never forget taking my hot pink engi into an ascalon catacombs party 10 years ago and getting kicked for just spraying everything with my flamethrower

All I had were earth tones and a sickly green color. I looked like a lime set out too long. I bet you were getting kicked with style

SlothBear posted:

This is a very appropriate gif for this game.

What a mood innit?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i dont think its relevant anymore but i like the gif where theyre throwing away everything except the PVP

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

..btt posted:

Am I just terminally EU-brained? I've literally never seen anyone bicker about roles.

I mean, maybe bickering is the wrong word, but there's obviously frustration and friction in buiding groups, because there's no way of identifying yourself as a certain role outside of going "i'm this role, do you need this role" or "we need this role, are you this role" and then the subsequent "do you have space for me yes/no" and cycle of rejection or failure or whatever, that would be solved in most MMOs because I would just click the "i do this, put me in a group that needs this" button. The interactions you get from playing the game together are not the same kind of interactions as you get from figuring out if you're even able to play the game together.

Like, if I were playing FFXIV or ESO I'd be able to hit the queue button then wander off to look at people's cosmetics or ERP in town or collect bear arses and not have to worry about it until I was ready to do the rewarding bits. In GW2 I don't get to do that stuff because I have to go and manually ask groups if they need me, or keep checking back every few minutes to see if there's a group that needs me being advertised, or start a new group and wait for other people to go "do you need me" and reject a hundred DPS players because I have to keep my group listed until I find someone who wants to play the right support role.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Bring back heroes from GW1 you cowards!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just give me one hero that follows me around that I can dress up or whatever. Ugh!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Even if you could only use them in the OG dungeons and DRMs that’d be enough for me.

They wouldn’t even have to use the same build mechanics as players. Just give me slightly customizable NPC followers for old instanced content

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

whats the go to for getting research these days? I need thousands

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
This site has the cheapest recipes, but it's been cheap mithril earrings/jewelry for quite some time: https://fast.farming-community.eu/salvaging/costs-per-research-note

Looks like pearl weapons are actually pretty good now too? Sometimes the site bugs out and gives weird results though.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 15, 2023

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I just buy potent potions of svanir slaying. It's got the nice advantage that you can just buy a couple stacks and not have partial research kits left over.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

I followed the advice given and set my api key in the crafting site. Looks like I have all the gold cost stuff done. The rest is literally just working my way through mastery stuff for vendors and whatever treasure hunting is needed for the collection of part 3.

I'm not sure how many parts there are, but the vendor only shows 1 more book, so that's very cool.

I'm so excited for this! :neckbeard:

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

CODChimera posted:

whats the go to for getting research these days? I need thousands

If you don't need them now now, check the TP for Knight's Hardwood weapons. They give 4-6 notes each, but either the spear or trident was selling for a buy order of ~1s20. I built up a few thousand research very cheaply via buy orders. There were also a couple Knight's armor pieces in a similar position, but their trade volume was much lower.

I haven't been on in a bit so someone else may have caught on to it by now and driven prices up.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 15, 2023

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Deformed Church posted:

I mean, maybe bickering is the wrong word, but there's obviously frustration and friction in buiding groups, because there's no way of identifying yourself as a certain role outside of going "i'm this role, do you need this role" or "we need this role, are you this role" and then the subsequent "do you have space for me yes/no" and cycle of rejection or failure or whatever, that would be solved in most MMOs because I would just click the "i do this, put me in a group that needs this" button. The interactions you get from playing the game together are not the same kind of interactions as you get from figuring out if you're even able to play the game together.

Like, if I were playing FFXIV or ESO I'd be able to hit the queue button then wander off to look at people's cosmetics or ERP in town or collect bear arses and not have to worry about it until I was ready to do the rewarding bits. In GW2 I don't get to do that stuff because I have to go and manually ask groups if they need me, or keep checking back every few minutes to see if there's a group that needs me being advertised, or start a new group and wait for other people to go "do you need me" and reject a hundred DPS players because I have to keep my group listed until I find someone who wants to play the right support role.

Yes, 100% with you on this. I was hoping the expansion would improve the ancient LFG system (can you even call it that?) and implement something similar to what you're describing.

To compensate for how bad LFG is, I made separate characters to fit any group role. There's a bigger discussion to be had here about the Commander tag, too. It should be free. If they won't go for that, throw the Commander a bone and give them some small, extra request rewards. Commanders have to sort boons in groups, kick idle people, advertise for party members, call out mechanics, often drop ascended food/banners/buffs, etc. They're herding cats and doing a huge favor for the group.

Why is this very basic function locked behind a high gold price, and having tokens from WvW? Silly.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I think you answered your own question a bit there. Running a tag comes with responsibility, so the cost is there to make sure you're invested. This is especially needed for wvw where commanding is a difficult and skill intense task -- bad tags feed bags to the enemy like crazy.
That said it absolutely shouldn't be required for raids and strikes, everyone should be able to make raid squads with markers and stuff.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

yeah it's kind of messed up that if i set up a casual strike squad in lfg i can't move people into the party compositions myself by default

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Commander tag also has a lot of social/psychological utility even for basic stuff, I know you can technically form groups with a mentor tag or none but having a tag makes it noticeably easier to entice people into bounties and overflow map instances for metas. Some of my best GW2 group experiences have been turning up to a map full of people spamming join in Auric Basin and sorting it out into a functional map in it's own right. Herding the idiots in a low stakes environment can be rewarding, and a lot of content is frankly way more fun in smaller groups anyway, plus it means everyone gets the rewards they were after rather than leaving disappointed.

And it's a superpower for mostly deserted content, I can just tag up and people will come see what's happening and suddenly I've got a few extra people to help me with an achievement or a champion or some event.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

weaver looks so cool

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

I learned a whole lot from a cool and knowledgeable goon. They also helped me own some fractals with two other goon friends. Can't remember when I last had this much fun in a game with others.

Thank you again if y'all are here reading this! We should load up and go again sometime for dailies or the like!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

ptroll posted:

That said it absolutely shouldn't be required for raids and strikes, everyone should be able to make raid squads with markers and stuff.

Agreed. I know next to nothing about PvP/WvW, so I don't have an opinion there - I should have clarified that I was just talking about a free Commander tag for PvE.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

yeah it's kind of messed up that if i set up a casual strike squad in lfg i can't move people into the party compositions myself by default

This, exactly this.

Deformed Church posted:

Commander tag also has a lot of social/psychological utility even for basic stuff, I know you can technically form groups with a mentor tag or none but having a tag makes it noticeably easier to entice people into bounties and overflow map instances for metas.

You're on to something here - why not just change the properties of the Mentor tag to have the same abilities as a Commander tag, but it's exclusively for PvE? Commander tag could be more of a WvW thing then.

I know exactly what you mean about tagging up and herding cats, getting into adventures - I just want greater accessibility so more folks can do this, too.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
I think part of the issue is that there's no group 'leader' role other then what you get from having a commander tag. From the open world and WvW perspective, it works (and is maybe for the best that there's a barrier of entry) but any other grouped/instanced content there's no other way to get that same functionality. To make things worse, from my understanding if someone without a tag makes a squad for whatever purpose, someone else with a tag can join and basically take over with no recourse.

At a minimum adding the group management to the mentor tag would make sense though.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Astralaria is 2 fractals from finishing a massive part of the collection. WvW for my Gift and a lot of Dragon's Stand and Chak Gerent for the odds and ends I think I need.

This wasn't anything like I was afraid it'd be. I'm excited to finish this project and look at my options next!

Any WvW tricks that can speed this along? I've been cracking away at dailies and weeklies, but not having that mount is absolutely brutal while trying to keep up with everyone.

Shifting gears for a moment, but once I'm done with Astralaria, I'd like to learn strikes. Does anyone have any cool resources you personally feel would help a beginner break into that stuff? I'd love to get outside my comfort zone and expand my horizons.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Zeg posted:

Any WvW tricks that can speed this along? I've been cracking away at dailies and weeklies, but not having that mount is absolutely brutal while trying to keep up with everyone. .
Stack exp boosters with reward track gain and just get the Mount.
Wiki the boosters, there are several that are easily obtainable.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Strikes you can pretty much just join, there isnt really a big learning curve.

Its raids where you need training.

As for wvw.

guild buff, and every other stackable wvw track buff you can find. Do your wvw dailies for potions.

I think there is even a track infusion you can buy for laurels or tickets and gold...

here is the pip calc if you are chasing tickets, though atm you will be chasing track reward.

https://gw2.limitlessfx.com/wvw/pips.php

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
decided to play an mmorpg again and i saw that this one was free. hope i can win the wars between guilds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Zeg posted:

Shifting gears for a moment, but once I'm done with Astralaria, I'd like to learn strikes. Does anyone have any cool resources you personally feel would help a beginner break into that stuff? I'd love to get outside my comfort zone and expand my horizons.

As others have mentioned, they're pretty straightforward for the most part, but you can find (short) video guides here, and written guides here