Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Nix Panicus posted:

Is the T-62 a bad tank? I don't think people understand that a tank is still a big armored box with a gently caress off huge gun even if it's old, and tank on tank battles don't happen frequently unless it's a videogame.

It's fires 115mm shells, has a 30 caliber machine gun and anti aircraft capabilities. The hull is pretty lightly armored (typical of the era) but essentially impenetrable to small arms fire and when dug into a hull down position the turret can survive direct hits from infantry antitank weapons

We still use M60 Patton tanks and like half of our allies are using platforms based on the Patton which is what the t62 would have been up against. It's essentially a modern tank. Russia is using them because they're perfectly suited to the kind of fighting they are doing

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Jul 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Here is the funny thing, the Trump gang (part of GOP) wanted to ally with Russia to fight China, and Biden burnt the bridge so hard that its nite on impossible for GOP to go back to create new detente with Russia, even if Trump wins 2024. Biden and Europe put so much hate on their Russian nationals sanctions its going be very hard for even St. Petersburg liberals to push for a "reset" with the US.

But the Republicans did the same thing! Obama wanted to have detente with Iran to fight Russia and China but Trump dunked on the Persians so hard it was impossible for the following DEM administration to make amend with Iran.

Basically both parties use the white house executive orders to poo poo on other parties long term foreign policy. That's why China just let Sullivan and Blinken and Yellen keep coming to Beijing to yap away but and then send them away, because there is no benefit in trusting the white house.

Obama was talking about resetting Russian relations while we were going underway against Russia. We only ever said a few weak words about a reset of relations.

What we actually did was continue like it was still the cold war, at least in the navy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

I think the guy running the account, responding I mean, is not a gunner because the other arms don't see us shoot practice ammo. It's way cheaper, and there's still a smoke canister and flash powder to observe the impact. We use them all the time for the OP Det, FOO course, because you can still see them impact and they help prevent the impact area from being littered with UXO.

I'm a bit surprised at the surprise though because I thought the other arms also had practice (painted blue), as opposed to dummy (crimped or drilled, painted metal colours) munitions as well. The fill for them would also be concrete, with smoke, flash powder and maybe tracer.

So the reason its interesting is not that "concrete ammo" is being used, that's what practice shells are for, it's that a training establishment has been stripped of HE, and also that the Americans, like us, are down to reduced batteries of 777 in the shooting Regiments and the training establishments stripped of demonstrators and other 777s we had for training purposes.

Dummy 40mm is often just chalk filled.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hatebag posted:

Combat range of an f16 seems to be about 550 km and they need 2.44 km long runways so I'm not sure if ukraine has viable runways or convertible highways close enough to the front to make f16s useful

An admission that Ukraine can't build a straight road and keep it from being blow up then I guess

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, really?

Only 550km?

That sounds terrible.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

The recruitment shortfalls are biting. Lowest in decades.

It was a lovely choice when we were loving around with goatherders for 21 years. You legit desperate if you join right before WW3.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Wait, really?

Only 550km?

That sounds terrible.

They probably could get a viable runway in mykolaiv which would allow them to get within 100 km of the eastern border and allow missions to all of crimea and most of the front. Probably even more with midair refueling but idk if they could defend an airbase there

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Great time to join actually. Join the ROTC, get degree in some bullshit associated with logistics. Get a commission, by the time that conscription and WW3 starts you are going to be a major or LTC in virginia taking count on how many boxes of MRE they have in warehouses or something

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

spacetoaster posted:

Dummy 40mm is often just chalk filled.

How do they get the chalk to weigh the same as the fill?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Turtle Sandbox posted:

It was a lovely choice when we were loving around with goatherders for 21 years. You legit desperate if you join right before WW3.

We're trying to fill staff positions, so if you can skip being a 2lt and avoid dying on the first day of WW3 we can hang out in the library here.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Great time to join actually. Join ROTP or, ideally, go to RMC (admission standards way down from the +90% avg back in the day), get degree in some bullshit associated with History/English/Political Science. Get a commission, by the time that conscription and WW3 starts you are going to be a Captain in Kingston/Ottawa/Gagetown taking count on how many guns First Canadian Army artillery contributed to the siege of Dunkirk or something and flying to Prague to access records on 1st Czechoslovak Independent Armoured Brigade.

Get further education guaranteed in your career plan as the Regimental History Officer. Go to Oxford/Cambridge/Sandhurst/RMC for a Master's in History/Defence Studies/War Studies. Start writing books on incredibly obscure minutiae for a press some guy runs out of his garage. Leverage that into a Canadian government history publication. Get a PhD guaranteed in your career plan. Pitch Osprey/Brill books based on your dissertation. Get assigned to the History Directorate as a Captain. Disappear into the academic wing of Big Army.

Or training Nazis.

:hmmyes:

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Jul 14, 2023

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

putin had agency when he ordered the invasion in the first place; however, in so doing he unleashed forces which are difficult to control, and his personal direct grasp on the state does not appear to be perfect. this is not a simple imperial adventure like iraq of afghanistan, this is a war which has been successfully sold as essential for the survival of russia as an independent regional power and, by extension, for regime survival. having sold this, one cannot simply renege without real consequences - and i think that the consequences for trying would be a catastrophic loss of authority.

Westerners think being a dictator means everyone does what you say unquestioningly no matter what.

They think politics didn't exist until voting did.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Cao Ni Ma posted:

in some bullshit associated with logistics.

drat I already work in logistics for min wage, you are saying I could do the exact same bullshit but I get my bunch of assigned temp workers team of brave men and women in uniform to do it for me and I get a bigger paycheck?

My career would most likely come at a dead stop the second I ask someone of higher rank why we don't have political commissars but hey

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There was a unit that had a Regimental History NCO and so they sent a Master Corporal to get an advanced education in military history lol.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Frosted Flake posted:

tiny bits of clean, harmless DU mixed in with the chalk

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is there a separate practice grenade for 40mm HEDP?

We use different 40mm than you guys so I never thought about maintaining multiple training munitions for something like that.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

January 6 Survivor posted:

tiny bits of clean, harmless DU mixed in with the chalk

ahahahaha, gently caress yeah, that's so cool.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Maybe they promised the F-16s to Turkey instead?

Supposedly, those were mostly upgrade kits, Turkey has got f-16s but they need AESA radars to put on them (and probably re-engineer for their own fighter).

The US still has a ton (literally 900+) F-16s but they are the workforces on the empire that are suppose to challange the PLAAF in the air.

It is a good question of if the f-16 is a super war-winning fighter, that if the US has got 900 of them, why are the Europeans desperately trying to cobble a few squadrons together when we are know this is a war for the very existence of Western civilization?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Jul 14, 2023

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Cerebral Bore posted:

it's still kinda amazing that the west went full steam ahead on completely torpedoing their status as the world's financial service hub over goddamn ukraine

KomradeX posted:

One SWIFT kick will bring the whole rotten house tumbling down.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Isn't the plan phase them out for the f-35?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Isn't the plan phase them out for the f-35?

That is the plan, but for some reason the USAF is preferring to upgrade them than just retire them...quite mysterious.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Other than bribing foreign officials, which they still have a knack for, it's wild to hold the F-35 program and export/license deals up against the Sabre, Starfighter, Phantom and Falcon.

Of course, Sweden is set to have their aviation industry destroyed now, so that's one competitor scratched off and Macron has gone all in on policies that are probably hurting Dassault as well.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also yes, if the range is only 550km, and they can't fly from super carriers, where are they supposed to be based out of if they're going up against China?

This is of course more of a ww3 thread question though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fizzy posted:

Tankies: Biden is senile and dementia-ridden, therefore nothing he says matters or can be trusted.

Also tankies: Did you hear what Biden just said about US ammunition levels?

you should be nicer since we’re the only thread that allows you to post lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't really get any of the doctrine proposals for war with China, like stripping all of the weapons out of the USMC. The whole thing seems birdbrained.

My hot take: They're still trying to do the light, expeditionary, cheap force made hundreds of times more effective through the magic of networks and wonder weapons.

Which is fine. I mean the less viable the war is, I would hope, the less the chance they decide to go for it. If the USN could actually build ships and the land forces both had enough sealift available and were training for corps-level landings, I would be concerned. As it stands, they're planning on keeping the entire PLA at bay by landing some marines in a rubber dinghy with laser designators.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You got to save the upgraded F16 for Taiwan, can't let the commies find out how to shoot them down with AA.

Also can't sell F35 to Taiwan, because the commie spies insaide Taiwanese air force will fly it to China immediately!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Also yes, if the range is only 550km, and they can't fly from super carriers, where are they supposed to be based out of if they're going up against China?

This is of course more of a ww3 thread question though.

Japan/Korea/Phillpines and have a bunch of tankers around filling them up. Also, their ferry range is 2000km+ with drop tanks.

I would assume they are planning on using a base hugging a NATO border, have the f-16 use drop tanks (which limit its bomb load) run a limited mission and hopefully get back alive. I think the tricky part is when the Russians retaliate since the F-16 isn't designed to be broken up and hidden like Soviet jets and needs a longer/flatter runway which is going to limit where it flies from.

----

As for the USMC, I guess they thought they won't need a conventional force any longer (even though the PLA has its own naval infantry and amphibious capabilities) and I guess they just need some light infantry to show up on some SCS atolls and declare victory. It is a werid proposal that simultaneously makes the USMC sort of useless while still forcing the USN to take care of their amiphibious ships when it is in the middle of a shipyard crisis.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Jul 14, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Hatebag posted:

Combat range of an f16 seems to be about 550 km and they need 2.44 km long runways so I'm not sure if ukraine has viable runways or convertible highways close enough to the front to make f16s useful

F16s can take off from much shorter runways than 2.44km, if they carry less weapons which is obvs a huge tradeoff. Theyd be able to like, lob one jdam and fly back? I dunno

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
my friend who's turned into a lost causer now is immersed in this Brasilian Jordan Peterson like guy videos and is already talking about how we can partition Ukraine into two like Germany post WW2... I asked why then have this war? Because

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Honest Thief posted:

my friend who's turned into a lost causer now is immersed in this Brasilian Jordan Peterson like guy videos and is already talking about how we can partition Ukraine into two like Germany post WW2... I asked why then have this war? Because

It was just worth it to have a another go at the Russkis.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I feel a sense of dread after the NATO meeting ... It's not exactly unexpected that Ukraine didn't get the invite, but disappointing nonetheless. I think it was the passive aggressive statement by the UK defense minister, that Ukraine must show gratitude to keep support that bothers me the most. You try being polite when the god-damned Russian army is firing missiles at you while the enemy's propagandists are threatening to blow up your largest nuclear plant to 'force you to negotiate '. There's a little bit of urgency here, you'd think.

The message stings. Ukraine is stuck fighting the fight that NATO was built for. All Ukraine has to do: defeat the entire Russian army, navy and air force. Then, maybe, maybe they'll get an invite (what again is the point of NATO once Ukraine defeats what's left of the Soviet Union?).

Maybe Macron was right: maybe NATO is brain dead. Unfortunately, he is a member.

In the meantime, when there's a bit of free time, Ukraine: give thanks to the allies.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you should be nicer since we’re the only thread that allows you to post lol

It does puzzle me as to why my simple desire to share good news about Ukraine gave rise to so much hostility and vitriol in the other Ukraine threads.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

if I'm to believe the Belgian airforce - and why would anyone - the airframes of the few f16s they haven't cannibalised for parts is basically held together by hopes and prayers. is that true for all f16s? I know they're hamming it up so they can get new toys, but those planes are pretty old...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Honest Thief posted:

my friend who's turned into a lost causer now

CSA lost cause?

Officer Sandvich posted:

You try being polite when the god-damned Russian army is firing missiles at you

Are you not a British Army officer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rObSWkQA7og

Officer Sandvich posted:

Ukraine is stuck fighting the fight that NATO was built for. All Ukraine has to do: defeat the entire Russian army, navy and air force.

Perhaps they should have surrendered then, eh?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Jul 14, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Officer Sandvich posted:

The message stings. Ukraine is stuck fighting the fight that NATO was built for. All Ukraine has to do: defeat the entire Russian army, navy and air force. Then, maybe, maybe they'll get an invite (what again is the point of NATO once Ukraine defeats what's left of the Soviet Union?).

Another poster turned paid pro-putin troll. NATO was not build to fight anything much less Russia; NATO is a strictly defensive alliance.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

Pretty sure they don't.

I have to adjust pretty significantly between chalk rounds and HE/DP.

The chalk rounds are just a safer way to train on employment and fundamentals. A MK19 is pretty simple to adjust aim with if you have an understanding of the T&E.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Officer Sandvich posted:

I feel a sense of dread after the NATO meeting ... It's not exactly unexpected that Ukraine didn't get the invite, but disappointing nonetheless. I think it was the passive aggressive statement by the UK defense minister, that Ukraine must show gratitude to keep support that bothers me the most. You try being polite when the god-damned Russian army is firing missiles at you while the enemy's propagandists are threatening to blow up your largest nuclear plant to 'force you to negotiate '. There's a little bit of urgency here, you'd think.

Maybe Macron was right: maybe NATO is brain dead. Unfortunately, he is a member.

In the meantime, when there's a bit of free time, Ukraine: give thanks to the allies.

Your concern for Ukraine does you great merit, but fret not - The good news for Ukraine is that Russia has already lost the war.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/saradorn/2023/07/13/biden-putin-already-lost-war-with-ukraine/

Biden: Putin ‘Already Lost’ War With Ukraine
Jul 13, 2023,02:52pm EDT

President Joe Biden said Russia has “already lost” its war with Ukraine on Thursday, dismissing concerns that NATO’s commitment to eventually admit Ukraine after the war ends would prompt Russia to escalate its attacks and prolong the conflict.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...heavy-fire-live

Russia-Ukraine war: Putin has already lost ‘strategically, operationally and tactically’, says US general – as it happened

Updated 15 Feb 2023

Milley, speaking at a joint news conference with US defence secretary Lloyd Austin, said President Vladimir Putin believed he could defeat Ukraine quickly when he ordered his troops to invade almost a year ago.

"[Putin] was wrong. Ukraine remains free. They remain independent. Nato and its coalition has never been stronger.

Now, Russia is a global pariah and the world remains inspired by Ukrainian bravery and resilience. In short, Russia has lost – they’ve lost strategically, operationally and tactically and they are paying an enormous price on the battlefield."

fizzy has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Jul 14, 2023

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

bedpan posted:

Another poster turned paid pro-putin troll. NATO was not build to fight anything much less Russia; NATO is a strictly defensive alliance.

I think this is a misunderstanding — I’m not suggesting NATO should fight in Ukraine. I am saying that it is failing its founding mission, which is succinctly stated in the first paragraph on its mission statement:

quote:

The North Atlantic Alliance was founded in the aftermath of the Second World War. Its purpose was to secure peace in Europe, to promote cooperation among its members and to guard their freedom – all of this in the context of countering the threat posed at the time by the Soviet Union.

Putin is attempting a "re-birth" of the Soviet Union as an empire in his image, destroying peace in Europe in the process.

There’s a country securing peace in Europe with everything it has: Ukraine. So I guess Ukraine is the new NATO. Peace in Europe is dependent on one country and one country only. Let’s hope it doesn’t fail.

NATO could be more grateful. It could give Ukrainians a boost in morale with an invitation to join at the right time. But we’re leaving the door shut "for now". It’s a comfortable position, I guess.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Officer Sandvich posted:

I think this is a misunderstanding — I’m not suggesting NATO should fight in Ukraine. I am saying that it is failing its founding mission, which is succinctly stated in the first paragraph on its mission statement:

Please do not malign NATO.

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_192648.htm

2. Why does NATO exist?

NATO exists to defend its member countries and their one billion citizens. It does this by bringing together the governments and the armed forces of the 31 Allies, and by providing a security guarantee that an attack on one of them is an attack on all of them.

3. Is Ukraine a NATO member?

Ukraine is not a NATO member. Ukraine is a NATO partner country, which means that it cooperates closely with NATO but it is not covered by the security guarantee in the Alliance’s founding treaty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
It's an interesting political strategy by Ukraine to repeatedly commit to joining NATO after the war despite this being the reason why Russia invaded.