Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Suspicious posted:

What are you even doing to need that much inventory space? Put that bow down. Put it down! It's not even magical!

Isn't part of the appeal of computer RPGs that number go up? I'm finishing up a run of BG2 with an archer, and I have mod-Coran with me too, and everyone's inventory is full of magical bolts and arrows. And yes I got the ammo bag belt thing, and yes it is full already :eng99: We can't shoot these things out fast enough! But hoarding good ammo is part of number go up, you see. Yes it's a sickness, I know, I know

I guess I could install the mod that gives infinite stacking for ammo, but I'm really afraid of messing with my, admittedly small but still, mod installation since IE modding is a bit of a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am completing the final phase of like a ten-year journey towards actually using consumables in games by actually using my magical bolts and arrows and bullets in Baldur's Gate ][, like, right away. I am admittedly not using the +3 stuff yet but that is because I already got my rear end handed to me by trying to go to Watcher's Keep first. Goes to show how rusty I am at actual higher-level strategies

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am completing the final phase of like a ten-year journey towards actually using consumables in games by actually using my magical bolts and arrows and bullets in Baldur's Gate ][, like, right away. I am admittedly not using the +3 stuff yet but that is because I already got my rear end handed to me by trying to go to Watcher's Keep first. Goes to show how rusty I am at actual higher-level strategies

sick poo poo

hosed up you'd even admit this

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

bike tory posted:

sick poo poo

hosed up you'd even admit this
:cry:

I cannot believe I have done this

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's the thing, though, the game throws this stuff at you. I haven't used a normal arrow or bolt since like an hour or two after getting out of Chateau Irenicus. But it still fills up your inventory!

It's the same thing with potions, at least if you burgle the bigger potion merchants.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

biscuits and crazy posted:

Don't worry, you've been doing it right. They work with all missile weapons, so if its ranged, you get the +2 bonus.

That's a relief. I think what keeps throwing me off is that the guy they drop from uses darts. I'd just attach them to any archer-type character normally but that always gave me pause for thought.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You could always look at your guy's stat sheet to check

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

my 'otel's as clean as an elven arse

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Vargatron posted:

my 'otel's as clean as an elven arse

Dude's business was ruined by everyone in the Gate renting out their houses to travelers for far cheaper instead.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Flowing Thot posted:

Dude's business was ruined by everyone in the Gate renting out their houses to travelers for far cheaper instead.

AirD&D?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Renting out an AirDnD for the big wizard meet up in town, Getting alot of hits with Dimension Doordash this weekend!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've started yet another playthrough of IWD2. Maybe this time I'll actually beat the game (I have 85 hours of playtime and have only gotten to chapter 4 I think once).

Going with a different party mix with classes I haven't played before. I could be doomed from the start! Or not, who knows?!

Stat lines follow Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha

Parth (Human Paladin of Helm) - 12/10/12/13/12/17
Kora (Half-Elf Fighter) - 18/10/18/14/8/8
Taelin (Human Monk) - 14/14/14/10/16/8
Zurvana (Moon Elf Druid) 10/18/10/12/18/8
Kira (Lightfoot Halfling Rogue) - 8/20/11/16/13/8
Orana (Half-Elf Sorcerer) 10/14/10/14/10/18

Never used a Monk or Sorcerer before so we'll see how that goes. Also planning on multiclassing the Rogue into a Ranger for ranged attack bonuses and maybe some melee backstabs eventually. Not particularly worried about minmaxing since I think I can figure out ways past most encounters as is. Might be tricky in some places since I'm not running a cleric.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Jolly good luck to you. I noticed the lack of a cleric, and I'm not brave enough to try that. Druids are great in IWD2, but I'm not sure if that being the only healer is enough. Yes, I know that paladins heal a bit, but they are very limited.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is in icewind dale 2 that paladins refuse quest rewards? What a bunch of nerds

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

JustJeff88 posted:

Jolly good luck to you. I noticed the lack of a cleric, and I'm not brave enough to try that. Druids are great in IWD2, but I'm not sure if that being the only healer is enough. Yes, I know that paladins heal a bit, but they are very limited.

In general, I just juice the poo poo out of my party with healing potions. Once I get past level 4, I think things will ease up a bit.

And yes, Paladins and Monks will refuse quest rewards, but in exchange you can skip or simplify some scenarios later in the game. I think if you have a Paladin or Cleric they detect that an NPC is a demon or witch.

Also, Wilderness Lore completely solves a forest maze bit of the game, which is just about the only use of the skill. But drat it's so good in that one situation.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

IIRC you can get around that by just having a different party member talk to the quest giver.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

b-but I wanna be the good guy!!

If my monk just can't keep up I'll probably use IWD2Keeper (or whatever the hell it's called) to sub out another party member.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wilderness Lore is cool because it has neat flavor text about logistics and architecture, the "there are goblins to the southeast and a troll cave to the west" breakdowns are wholly secondary. That's way cooler than tracking in other games giving you a radar or map markers or something.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Has there been any update to the Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition mod? Last time I checked it was still in beta and I didn't wanna ask to be allowed to test it when I didn't know whether I'd have time to play (also not having played the original version, I feel like I'm probably not the kind of tester they're looking for anyway).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This is the first I am hearing of it existing, I even almost posted earlier today about how I thought the only way to play was if you owned a copy of the physical discs (because obviously there is no other way to find games, nope, not a single one).

Is it weird that the reason I had no interest in replaying Icewind Dale was because Icewind Dale II was never going to have an enhanced edition, despite of course the fact that you cannot import your characters between the two anyway

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

iwd2 is on gog!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jay Rust posted:

iwd2 is on gog!
WHAT omg how long have I been blind

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

WHAT omg how long have I been blind

Years, it's been on GOG since before the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions came out.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It also works right out of the box, if you don't mind letterboxing the game with your GPU or playing it with a stretched aspect ratio.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
There has to be a reason I thought it was totally unavailable, I am guessing I just misunderstood when Beamdog announced they could not do an enhanced version of it, I probably assumed it was because the rights were in limbo for digital distribution

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dr. Quarex posted:

There has to be a reason I thought it was totally unavailable, I am guessing I just misunderstood when Beamdog announced they could not do an enhanced version of it, I probably assumed it was because the rights were in limbo for digital distribution

The reason they couldn't do an enhanced edition is because the source code was lost when Interplay was sold to another company.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vargatron posted:

The reason they couldn't do an enhanced edition is because the source code was lost when Interplay was sold to another company.
Thanks, that makes sense.

I will find it. Here I go. Gonna find it

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah. That and because Icewind Dale 2 is so vastly different from the other Infinity Engine games due to the change in D&D ruleset, it's not like they could have reused a lot of the code from other games. Hence, the fan made Enhanced Edition which is done with hex editing I believe.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/24726/planar-sphere-rune-puzzle

quote:

If you look at the runes, they SORT OF look like numbers. That's how you know.

I'm not kidding, that's really it. :/

lol ok

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anyone have a picture? because I haven't done that bit in a while. Or is there another incredibly obvious way to figure it out I'm forgetting?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

Anyone have a picture? because I haven't done that bit in a while. Or is there another incredibly obvious way to figure it out I'm forgetting?

There's a picture here. Only one of the runes looks like a number to me.

https://sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough/sphere.php

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

funnily enough i did end up taking a screenshot

i got it on the first try somehow so i guess the advice was helpful

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

One of them is a 3, sort of, I suppose, but then you have the letter T, what could be eta I guess, and the thing on the left is just a scythe. I'm fairly convinced this puzzle was of the Roberta Williams school of gently caress you, that's why.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The way I remember it is pretty simple:

I don't. Just save/load until you get it right. Or look it up if you're doing an ironman I guess.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vargatron posted:

I've started yet another playthrough of IWD2. Maybe this time I'll actually beat the game (I have 85 hours of playtime and have only gotten to chapter 4 I think once).

Going with a different party mix with classes I haven't played before. I could be doomed from the start! Or not, who knows?!

Stat lines follow Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha

Parth (Human Paladin of Helm) - 12/10/12/13/12/17
Kora (Half-Elf Fighter) - 18/10/18/14/8/8
Taelin (Human Monk) - 14/14/14/10/16/8
Zurvana (Moon Elf Druid) 10/18/10/12/18/8
Kira (Lightfoot Halfling Rogue) - 8/20/11/16/13/8
Orana (Half-Elf Sorcerer) 10/14/10/14/10/18

Never used a Monk or Sorcerer before so we'll see how that goes. Also planning on multiclassing the Rogue into a Ranger for ranged attack bonuses and maybe some melee backstabs eventually. Not particularly worried about minmaxing since I think I can figure out ways past most encounters as is. Might be tricky in some places since I'm not running a cleric.

This party is working really well so far. I'm about to go into Maralite area around level 4 and I'll probably be about level 5 during the battle on Shaengarne bridge. The monk is doing a surprising amount of damage and isn't getting trucked as bad as I thought it would. I've also got the druid and ranger/rogue set up with Rapid Shots so they are just chunking casters in the enemy back lines.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I was also inspired by the upcoming Baldur's Gate 3 to start a new classic BG run, this time trying out the Witchlight Shaman mod kit. Still kind of early days but it's a fun kit. Very much a direct power upgrade from classic Shaman (though 1 less cast per day the way Dragon Disciples get, some alignment/weapon restrictions, and a penalty to max dex and charisma do balance it out a bit).

I also found out that the "max spirits summoned by shamanic dance at once" overlaps with the overall number of things summoned by the party, so if I have 3 skeletons summoned because Viconia cast Animate Dead then that's no summoned spirits for me. Not a huge deal (though the summoned spirits for the kit are a bit nicer than vanilla) since I'm running Spell Revisions and SCS so got summoning spells for days regardless.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I always thought it was a bit stupid how Beamdog did casts with a Shaman. Theoretically their advantage should be having a ton of spells but they get no bonus spell slots for stats and they max out at 6 spells/level. Compare that to what a Druid can get and they're way worse. And a Druid can memorize anything to boot.

Being able to spontaneously cast anything you know is a fun thing for Shaman but not enough to make up for the loss of spell slots imo. And Druids generally get better HLAs too, although Shaman do get that one very nice HLA (esp on Ironman runs) which basically makes them immune to dying since it always procs when you reach a certain hp threshold.

I still enjoyed Shaman last time I played it but it's definitely not as good as a Druid imo, and that's not even getting into multiclass Fighter/Druids which can stack physical resist with earth ele form and hardiness to become immune to physical damage.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wasn't Ranger/Cleric the OP multiclass option since you can dual wield maces and buff the poo poo out of yourself? I seem to recall that being a great combo during one of my BG1 playthroughs.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sounds like sorcerer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

Wasn't Ranger/Cleric the OP multiclass option since you can dual wield maces and buff the poo poo out of yourself? I seem to recall that being a great combo during one of my BG1 playthroughs.

Ranger/Cleric is busted on vanilla because they erroneously get every cleric and every druid spell. They're technically only supposed to follow Ranger spell progression. But yeah they're great. Even nerfed they're still good, though with proper progression I'd rather be a Fighter/Cleric multi or dual