Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Happy 25th birthday, Banjo-Kazooie!

https://twitter.com/Markus_Kurko/status/1674074407440904201?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The deadeye fire/iceballs from the sky is the one thing holding this level back from being my favourite. Dying so many times just by getting sniped while trying to platform and taking fall damage into lethal water is incredibly frustrating.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

berenzen posted:

The deadeye fire/iceballs from the sky is the one thing holding this level back from being my favourite. Dying so many times just by getting sniped while trying to platform and taking fall damage into lethal water is incredibly frustrating.

It's not something you can do the first time I play, but shutting that poo poo off has been priority one on every replay I've done.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Of course there are a lot of split up pads and split up objectives in the level which is split up into two distinct subthemes! It's the level design actively enhancing its own identity!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Why exactly isn't Kazooie a villain, again?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
'cause then she'd have to deal with do-gooders showing up to stop her/bother her.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

berenzen posted:

Yeah, I'm genuinely curious when Argate and co. will figure out how to stop the dragons.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Name's in the title

Wait gently caress

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Quackles posted:

Yeah, I'm genuinely curious when Argate and co. will figure out how to stop the dragons.

As far as I know, Artix and Silver already know, since they have prior experience — and Argate has not even had the thought that the dragons can be stopped.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Kazooie isn't a villain because she is friends with Banjo and Banjo represents the moral center of the universe. If Banjo thinks you are a good person then you are a hero, if he thinks you are a villain then you are a villain and will be defeated. Kazooie is working to harness this power and use it to have tons of fun.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

megamariox posted:

Kazooie isn't a villain because she is friends with Banjo and Banjo represents the moral center of the universe. If Banjo thinks you are a good person then you are a hero, if he thinks you are a villain then you are a villain and will be defeated. Kazooie is working to harness this power and use it to have tons of fun.

In other words:

Kazooie is harnessing the power of Protagonist Centered Morality.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

AweStriker posted:

As far as I know, Artix and Silver already know, since they have prior experience — and Argate has not even had the thought that the dragons can be stopped.

It's this. :ssh: Why would we want to lessen his suffering?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Heroes in British media have much freer reign to be arseholes, especially to their friends and loved ones.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thank you Artix for acknowledging Mr. Pants at the very end there, y'all's gamer credentials were in serious jeopardy for a moment.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Whoever was asking about when I'd find one of the dragons just needed to wait a couple days. :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Willy

Means

Penis

Thanks Rare

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Dabir posted:

Willy

Means

Penis

Thanks Rare

I guess someone at Rare had an accidental cold shower, and was struck with inspiration, as well as shrinkage.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I still think the necessity to wait around for the dragons to do their thing once on each side is a bad puzzle, but it IS pretty elegant that you have to do it to reach the dragons, so you cannot lock yourself out. It's also cool that it unlocks a bunch of other poo poo!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I also really dislike that those two puzzles were just "wait around for the puzzle to solve itself", I feel like I got really lucky that the dragons just happened to be firing off when I was right where I needed to be.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
How did you get 49 years from 1984 to 2023?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Y'know, there sure is a lot of death in BT for what is ostensibly a children's game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Look, it's fine. They'll all be get up and be walking around again for the big credits roll at the end.

e: Except for mildred. We did a pretty good all the kings horses and all the kings men on her.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

stryth posted:

How did you get 49 years from 1984 to 2023?

I'm very good at math, please understand.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

C-Euro posted:

Y'know, there sure is a lot of death in BT for what is ostensibly a children's game.

And there's more to come!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You have no idea how glad I am that is in fact what I actually said. Boy, that would have been embarrassing! :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I had a feeling you'd appreciate it after I went through the trouble of digging that up from whichever episode that actually ended up being from. :v:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That last musical choice shows that Argate is a goon of good taste.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A triumph of determination over game design.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is it possible to get to the Chili Billi fight without Ice Eggs? I know that Fire Eggs are required to progress through the Isle o' Hags, but I can't think of a spot where Ice Eggs are a hard requirement.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It is truly impressive how argate managed to forget entirely about the wonder wing, given his predilection for activating it in place of talon trot

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

In my defense for that, I think I've gotten better about using the correct move since switching to a controller with discrete C-Buttons!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Oh Cloud Cuckooland. You sure are a level in Banjo-Tooie. The music isn't too bad at least. I think the theme was supposed to be fairytale, but it comes off more as they had a bunch of excess assets and threw them all into an level at the 11th hour.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 21, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

My favorite thing about Cloud Cuckooland is looking over the edge and seeing the entire Isle down below. It's fun to see every little world all laid out like that and connected.

berenzen posted:

Oh Cloud Cuckooland. You sure are a level in Banjo-Tooie. The music isn't too bad at least. I think the theme was supposed to be fairytale, but it comes off more as they had a bunch of excess assets and threw them all into an level at the 11th hour.

But enough about Rainbow Ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

My favorite thing about Cloud Cuckooland is looking over the edge and seeing the entire Isle down below. It's fun to see every little world all laid out like that and connected.

But enough about Rainbow Ride!

Banjo Tooie is the Dark Souls of collectathons - my article for PC Gamer