Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe they're waiting for the English version of the artbook? Which should be in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

fridge corn posted:

This has managed to stay up on youtube for longer than usual so far.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf9GGFFS3CIHl3i0RyPJHEAOazNmw6oae

Yeah I subbed to that channel around the time i found that MC theme compilation, surprised but glad it's still up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All right, I've played the intro chapters and a little more of my first four characters. Here are some impressions so far as a Tetrapath Traveler.

Throne - Her story is like playing the fandub version of this game whereas every other character has a normal script. I like how she overcomes threats by simply having nothing to lose.
Partitio - Wants to eliminate systemic poverty with... the good kind of capitalism? Insufficient revolutionary politics but I find his optimism and fashion sense charming.
Hikari - Noble samurai swordsman with a dark lineage, snooooze. Inarguably kind of owns at combat though.
Castti - Do you like hearing the word apothecary as much as I do? It's a fun word. Amnesiac Apothecary would be a good name for a Dream Theater album c. 2003.

Things are moving along nicely and I am enjoying the story!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

All right, I've played the intro chapters and a little more of my first four characters. Here are some impressions so far as a Tetrapath Traveler.

Partitio - Wants to eliminate systemic poverty with... the good kind of capitalism? Insufficient revolutionary politics but I find his optimism and fashion sense charming.

Things are moving along nicely and I am enjoying the story!
You forgot about the hilarious sax theme. Somewhere between Careless Whisper and morning talkshow. I lost my poo poo when it kicked in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Oh yeah that was definitely a highlight. I expect to hear it many times more.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Partitio's southern drawl also rules.

The dude is basically a turn of the century folk hero legend, like mercantile Paul Bunyan.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
partitio's story is by far the most fantastical of any character's

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

im enjoying partitio and i can't wait to bring capitalism and commerce to ochette's island

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm kinda partial to a Jerky-based economy.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I finished up my last remaining story. Partitio's is my favorite overall followed by Castti and Throne, however Agnea had one of my favorite final chapters. They really should have swapped the mid quest line boss theme with the chapter end boss theme. It ended up playing in more fights though so I can't complain too much.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Does it make more sense to give my characters their secondary jobs whenever I find the licenses or just wait until I get the one I want for them?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jobs give stat bonuses and extra weapons so it's better to give someone a filler job even for the short-term, even if you don't use that secondary job's skills. Also JP is universal, so you do all your JP grinding in one job and then spend that JP in another.

There's no penalties so there's basically no reason never to have a secondary job if you've got them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Don’t some jobs also cause stat decreases if it’s the opposite of what the main one is? Like giving Hikari Cleric dings his physical attack.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

exquisite tea posted:

Does it make more sense to give my characters their secondary jobs whenever I find the licenses or just wait until I get the one I want for them?

In addition to what's already been said, you can snag job skills from each class you like and use it whenever you want even after changing. I forget if the game makes that clear.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Don’t some jobs also cause stat decreases if it’s the opposite of what the main one is? Like giving Hikari Cleric dings his physical attack.

I'm not sure it lowers stats so much as just doesn't boost them.

Cleric's a good secondary for Hikari in the late game anyway because it lets him equip staves, which is important for doing as much physical damage as possible.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I wish I understood how the stats on the different weapons interacted --- the UI seems to show different totals based on what's selected, but what happens for spells, or stuff like learned skills?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/irono16/status/1679957766973329412?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

OddObserver posted:

I wish I understood how the stats on the different weapons interacted --- the UI seems to show different totals based on what's selected, but what happens for spells, or stuff like learned skills?

P. Atk affects physical damage, which is reduced by P. Def.
E. Atk affects magical damage, which is reduced by E. Def.
E. Def also improves healing performed by that character.
Crit and Evasion are fairly straightforward.
Boosting elemental damage as well, and multiple sources of it can stack.

Learned skills (Hikari's) follow the same idea, and they're almost always physical (so use P. Atk), healing (so use E. Def) or status based.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Spells use whatever your highest value is. So if you have a sword and a staff equipped that both boost Elemental Attack, and you cast a spell, it'll use whichever has the highest bonus.

Passive bonuses like "increased fire damage" or "increased physical damage" and stuff are universal and stack, so if you equip multiple weapons that boost fire damage for example, you'll get an even bigger boost. (This is one reason people like to give Osvald a physical subjob, so he can stack weapons that boost elemental damage. It's also why it's a good idea to make sure Hikari can equip staves in the late game, since there's a staff that boosts physical damage.)

Learned skills use whatever weapon they say they do, or are spells. If a learned skill is of a weapon type Hikari can't currently equip, it just uses the default unequipped stats for that weapon slot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Passive bonuses like "increased fire damage" or "increased physical damage" and stuff are universal and stack, so if you equip multiple weapons that boost fire damage for example, you'll get an even bigger boost. (This is one reason people like to give Osvald a physical subjob, so he can stack weapons that boost elemental damage.)

It's also possible to create a spellcaster build for Agnea or Castti in this way by equiping multiple +elemental weapons (Throne's E.Atk is arguably too low to ever make her a good caster).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

In addition to the above, if a weapon has a secondary stat besides E.Atk (like + Evasion, Crit, etc.) it is only active when that weapon is being used.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I like Temenos as a character but I think they probably could have had a better introduction to his deductive acumen than "investigates the scene of the crime, then slowly repeats everything he just spent the last five minutes investigating to his dumb-as-rocks companion."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"sherlock holmes is cool and all but this watson character is really making the story drag"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"What would a book of holy scripture be doing in a pulpit" had some big "why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital" energy.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

"What would a book of holy scripture be doing in a pulpit" had some big "why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital" energy.

It's literally Crick's first day on the job, give the poor guy a break.

Though everything about Temenos and his story is great. Besides the obvious Sherlock comparisons, there's a long standing tradition of monk/nun detective novels so it was really neat to see one play out in a JRPG format.

I could have played a whole game of just him and Crick solving mysteries frankly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Temenos being a snarky detective is actually a great reversal of expectations from his character blurb and appearance.

He's not my favourite character but he was also one of the ones I was most prepared to be 'meh' on going in (the other one was Ochette because H'aanit was fairly mid as a character in the first game).

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Ok. I’m just realizing Crick being the Watson analog creates a Crick and Watson pairing. I wonder if that was intentional, or a localizer gag or something.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

Ok. I’m just realizing Crick being the Watson analog creates a Crick and Watson pairing. I wonder if that was intentional, or a localizer gag or something.

That depends. If Koji Fox was involved, it was absolutely intentional.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that’s definitely intentional. You don’t name your Watson character Crick by accident

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I'm kinda partial to a Jerky-based economy.

I laughed out loud when I went to the shop and yeah you pay in jerky

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I enjoy Throne's arc the most because every other traveler's story is here like "la dee da I'm on a quest for truth and justice" and then we all get to stretch our legs for the human trafficking and child murder segment. Today I found really nice dagger by drugging a town dad and then shaking down his daughter, it feels like my merry band of wanton criminals is really starting to gel together.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

In Octopath Traveler 2, crime pays.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Unless you're very bad at it, in which case you have to pay to crime again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Osvald's story never condemns his revenge and it was 100 percent the right call.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i died at the warden fight...

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Castti: an upstanding apothecary would never use poison… I’m afraid of what I may have done in my past life.

*poisons and drugs fields of enemies*

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Castti's in-battle quotes really made me like her more since she went from "by the numbers healer lady" to "healer lady... with an axe" and that worked good with her story

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Is there any negative consequence for stealing everything you can from the townsfolk? I feel kind of bad about robbing some of them but I also want what they got lol

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

It's literally Crick's first day on the job, give the poor guy a break.

Though everything about Temenos and his story is great. Besides the obvious Sherlock comparisons, there's a long standing tradition of monk/nun detective novels so it was really neat to see one play out in a JRPG format.

I could have played a whole game of just him and Crick solving mysteries frankly.

It's funny to me how much worse Temenos is at questioning people than Castti (well, OK) and... Osvald?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Olanphonia posted:

Is there any negative consequence for stealing everything you can from the townsfolk? I feel kind of bad about robbing some of them but I also want what they got lol

Just guilt. There's one npc in Throne's last chapter that really made me feel like poo poo for stealing from her.