Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It is IMPRESSIVE how in the bag Hollywood press orgs are for the studios, not even trying to hide it

Tbh maybe it’s time to reevaluate those relics as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Regardless about anything at all shes done in the past and will do in the future she was indeed spitting fire at the press conference imo.
https://twitter.com/elainelow/status/1679570820144955392?s=20

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tragicomic posted:

Edit: oof, eating my words already .. here she is kind of saying the actors would negotiate better than the writers, not very solidarity like:
https://www.avclub.com/fran-drescher-clarifies-disappointing-picket-line-comme-1850426360

This is all boilerplate stuff, come on. She doesn't deserve poo poo for this. Yeah, it's true that actors aren't negotiating over the same sets of issues as writers are! Her job as union president is to negotiate for her members.

quote:

Deadline that the SAG-AFTRA negotiations with AMPTP would be “very different” from those with the WGA. “It’s a very big, complicated conversation, and I don’t think what’s very important to writers—and I’m a writer, too, in the WGA—is the kind of stuff that [SAG-AFTRA] is going after,” Drescher said. “I feel like our conversation is going to be very different, and I feel very hopeful that we won’t get to this point.”

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1679322679973916672

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The big challenge I see for the unions here is there's just so much stuff they have to address. It's not just getting more money, though that's important and can't be discarded- it's also the AI bullshit and writers room sizes and what happens when the studio decides to put your work in limbo. And like you have to fight for all of it, because all of that's part of how the studios are trying to gently caress them over. You can't give on any of it.

They've got a lot of support and that's very good and I wish them luck, because even when the studios do finally agree to talks this is gonna be ugly.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Slothful Bong posted:

A part of me hopes this collapses VFX, so we can start over with a union. It’s gonna fail eventually, I just hope it happens in a way that doesn’t entrench the anti-union attitudes more.

It needs a 100% reset to change. I really thought Covid would change things, or the spike in reports of Marvel grinding people into dust would have been the tipping point, but nah.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'd also totally believe this is being seeded, and isn't showing up organically. Especially on linkedin.

It seems to be with "lower-level", "boots on the ground" type of people. They do their VFX work for their shift in an Iron Man shirt and pyjama pants, shuffle to the microwave for dinner, then practice their VFX work until energy-drink crashing at 1AM and repeating it all the next day. Not the type to breathe the same air as the folks in charge.

Unless they bumbled into some high-powered Hollywood honcho meeting on the way to the coffee machine purely by accident, I'd say it's all 100% real. Which stinks. Also their talking points - boiling down to the same "it takes work away from me and is selfish" generality - are written differently enough to be their own thoughts.

AGAIN, this is just a tiny, tiny, tiny section of people. 98.5% of people I see are supportive and keeping their chins up in solidarity.

LividLiquid posted:

I really don't understand why IATSE don't just fold in vfx artists. They're set builders, makeup artists, and countless other things that are already in the union. Doing that poo poo digitally shouldn't exempt you, and they'd get a huge influx of dues-paying members and would be huge fuckin' heroes.

Hard to say. Easiness of outsourcing VFX, the financials of it (especially with tax incentives and "lowest bidder takes all"), all of the tiny details of it. VFX is similar in theory of "craft", but different in execution.

Anyways, this is about WGA and SAG-AFTRA. Hope the Zaslovs and Igers of the world get their teeth kicked in this year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/jessicascott714/status/1679573946247806987?s=20

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

Adding VFX artists under the same agreement would make it even harder to represent members well, because everybody's specific concerns would get further diluted. VFX artists have a lot to gain from unionisation, but just jumping into the IATSE fold seems like the wrong approach to me.
IATSE almost certainly folded in too many groups that should have their own unions, but "it'd be hard" isn't really a great reason for not representing people who do the very things your union is for, presently.

Yes, it'd be nice for VFX to have their own union, but when there's an apparatus that already covers the things that they do and/or are replacing, that's the one they should be in right now.

There won't be makeup artsits once, and this is not far off, you can just hit the "make everybody up properly" button. So I don't see how pitting the non-union VFX industry and artists against makeup artists, which is what is happening right now, is better than having them in the same union.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1679578377815031808?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The DGA looking really good about now, huh?

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Good.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I see we're in the "Look I know you hate me but think of the economy :qq:" phase of labor negotiations

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DarklyDreaming posted:

I see we're in the "Look I know you hate me but think of the economy :qq:" phase of labor negotiations

At this rate SDCC might just be about comics.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Hope this makes the studios fold. gently caress that AI proposal poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell yes to the strike, and the best of luck to all of them.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/maxfolkmax/status/1679521978640896000?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

At this rate SDCC might just be about comics.

Maybe even less crowds.

On the flipside Dragoncon is going to be more crowded and maybe now smaller panels will get bigger rooms.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Depending on how long the strike last, I wouldn't be surprised if cons start seeing an increase in special guests as industry people look to supplement their income.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Elon has that episode playing on loop wherever he goes

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/hearinladotcom/status/1679944957984133120?s=20

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Capitalism... Capitalism never changes.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sometimes I wish his character on Sons of Anarchy was the hero

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nichael posted:

Capitalism... Capitalism never changes.

https://www.themarysue.com/as-actors-writers-strike-david-zaslav-and-other-ceos-attend-annual-summer-camp-for-billionaires/

Literally. People are now trolling David Zaslav because he has a public Venmo account so writers, producers, actors and journalists are flooding it with requests for him to pay them when he loving owes them after a year of screwing everyone he can to get dem sweet sweet tax write offs.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Remind me to never be on the receiving end of a Ron Pearlman verbal beatdown. Hell yeah but Jesus Christ dude, I’d leave town after hearing “there’s a lot of ways to lose your house”.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ron. Fuckin. Perlman.

Gods, he's awesome. :allears:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

teen witch posted:

Remind me to never be on the receiving end of a Ron Pearlman verbal beatdown. Hell yeah but Jesus Christ dude, I’d leave town after hearing “there’s a lot of ways to lose your house”.

I saw him at a convention, during a Q&A the first fan asked what were his favorite video games. He politely responded that he doesn’t play games. Next fan in line asked about his top games, he reiterated that while he has voice acted games, like he just said, he doesn’t play them.

Third fan in line wanted to know about his favorite games, leading to annoyed response asking why this person didn’t hear him the first two times that was asked. I don’t think it was a coordinated troll.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I saw him at a convention, during a Q&A the first fan asked what were his favorite video games. He politely responded that he doesn’t play games. Next fan in line asked about his top games, he reiterated that while he has voice acted games, like he just said, he doesn’t play them.

Third fan in line wanted to know about his favorite games, leading to annoyed response asking why this person didn’t hear him the first two times that was asked. I don’t think it was a coordinated troll.

I just hope someone eventually found out what his favorite video game is!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/Todd_Spence/status/1679687265357033472?s=20

WOOOOWWWWW

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry for double posting but my god this is a GHOULISH system

https://twitter.com/DevonESawa/status/1679952950481805314?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1678796330959790083?s=20

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1679936618449256466?s=20

https://twitter.com/jamesearl23/status/1679511606064201729?s=20

https://twitter.com/Blackamazon/status/1679929980849930253?s=20

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

JFC, I hope these assholes fold.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I'd settle for the complete collapse of the US entertainment industry.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tree Reformat posted:

I'd settle for the complete collapse of the US entertainment industry.

:( I have no other marketable skills though?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Snowy posted:

you work in VFX right? there's a lot of industries here that need visual artists, but if you still wanted to do entertainment stuff you could always consider going overseas. i know it's not easy or even possible for some people, but it is an option

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Not to take away from the WGA/SAG discussion, but for VFX dudes, some other industries to look at:

Medical Devices
Machine Learning (stuff like picker robot training)
Theme parks
Advertising
Archvis
Games

The skills transfer pretty well, especially if you’re willing to learn some new stuff. Medical devices and ML were both very kind to me, and 10x less stressful than VFX. Theme parks are all over the place, ads are usually quick crunch, archvis is generally smooth (but big money involved), and everyone knows about games lol.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

This is the energy people need. Bite their loving dicks off.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The entertainment industry isn't going anywhere, y'all. We don't need to game out what a VFX artist will do when there are no more need for them, and it's weird, though unsurprising, that we can entertain this possibility at all, much less find it likelier than paying workers a living wage.

Life is loving ridiculous.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

LividLiquid posted:

The entertainment industry isn't going anywhere, y'all. We don't need to game out what a VFX artist will do when there are no more need for them, and it's weird, though unsurprising, that we can entertain this possibility at all, much less find it likelier than paying workers a living wage.

Life is loving ridiculous.

They could prolly get gigs rendering for architecture and interior design too, depending on past experience

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowy posted:

there will be entertainment but not through the studios who will all be murdered by ron pearlman personally

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

You just KNOW the first thing this would be used for would be to put actressses who have "No nudity" clauses into nude scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Who are the unions negotiating with? I know it's "the studios" but who exactly? I can't imagine the old school movie studios being on the same page as the Streamers. Wouldn't they all have differing interests? And then there is TV, wouldn't those studios have differing interests again?

Is it possible some of them agree with what the actors are asking for because it doesn't concern them?

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 15, 2023