Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Panfilo posted:

This explains how Skwisgar and Toki talk in Deathklok.

I also love how they add "s" to nearly every word but call Pickles "Pickle" instead.

This is just one of Tolkien's "Elvish" languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I love German mostly for the way that they to the end of the sentence the action leave. It suspense creates!
Traditional German-learners joke.
University student arrives late to lecture, nudges the guy next to him: "How much have I missed?"
Seatmate: "Oh, don't worry, he hasn't gotten to the verb yet."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Panfilo posted:

This explains how Skwisgar and Toki talk in Deathklok.

I also love how they add "s" to nearly every word but call Pickles "Pickle" instead.

There's a scene I can't find on YouTube where Pickles reads a question Skwisgar wrote in English and it is the most hosed up and confusing sentence ever read but the guy they are asking understood it perfecrly. Something like "What is it you can't most do the least".

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

limp_cheese posted:

There's a scene I can't find on YouTube where Pickles reads a question Skwisgar wrote in English and it is the most hosed up and confusing sentence ever read but the guy they are asking understood it perfecrly. Something like "What is it you can't most do the least".

Here you go

https://youtu.be/RNsf_OIouFk

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not letting my brother in law give up his spot in our Disney VIP tour for his girlfriends son?

quote:

We live a few states away from CA, and are planning a trip to visit my husbands mom and brother and our cousins. We're bringing our two kids and taking them to Disneyland.

To make it extra special we're booking a VIP tour which includes a tour guide, skipping all the lines, front row seats at all the parades and shows, and no wait time for food. It costs about $5000 but we think it's worth it because we don't go to Disneyland often.

The limit is 10 guests. We invited my husbands cousins who take up 4 spots, and then we invited my husbands brother and his mom would be a perfect 10 including our family of 4.

Here's where it gets interesting. My brother in law says he wants to give up his spot for his girlfriends son instead and him and his girlfriend can just go separately and hang around on their own and meet up with us when they can. The issue is then we won't be able to ride any rides with them or sit by them during any of the parades and fireworks.

We don't really know his girlfriend or his son that well and would rather spend the day with him. We told him that we want to just spend the day with family and are offering the two spots to just him and his mom and now he is refusing to go.

I feel bad, but I'm siding with my husband because I feel like we should get to deside who to invite since we're paying 5k for the VIP tour. And if we could add on two more, we would do it, but in this case, to add on two more we would have to pay for another tour guide which would be 5k more.

So AITA? For not letting my husbands girlfriends kid be part of our group instead of him?

In comments, it's revealed that the son question is 7 years old. Reddit was quick to point out the dude was essentially going to get free babysitting and a nice vacation for himself and girlfriend.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I hadn't heard of the VIP tours so I looked them up, they're $450-900 per hour (park admission not included :v:) so that's not even a long trip, it's just one day. I guess they like Disney waaay more than I do.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
A post from a Disney adult OP can only ever be ESH at best.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, this old one came up when I was looking up the Disney one:

AITA for not accommodating my brother in law during my birthday dinner and telling him his taste wasn't my priority?

quote:

I (26f) recently had a birthday. Some family and I went out to dinner to celebrate. [revealed to be an Indian restaurant in the comments] The guests were me, my husband, my parents, his parents, my two brothers and sister, and my husbands brother.

So here's the deal. My brother in law is weird about eating out. He'll only order a burger or fries and chicken nuggets in a food place, no matter how fancy, no matter how much choice there is. He goes so far as not even looking at menus in places and will ask for nuggets and fries by default and will be very difficult if a place doesn't have those on the menu. I know this but I won't accommodate it when it comes to something I'm supposed to enjoy. When my husband and I were discussing the dinner I told him to let his brother know they didn't do burgers or fries at this place.

Cool. He still says he's showing up.

The dinner arrives. Everybody's looking at the menu except him. He waits and waits and when we're all ordering he asks the server for fries and nuggets. He explains they don't have those and then my brother in law asks about a burger. They don't do those either. He asks could they make up some fries just for him and the server explains they can't accommodate those. He starts sulking and my husband makes apologies and says they'll get the final order to them asap. Brother in law goes off about how lovely it was I didn't think of him with dinner and we should have made sure there was something for him to eat. I pointed out he was told and he chose to come. That it was not my job to accommodate for his pickiness when eating out and that his taste was not a priority during my birthday dinner.

Brother in law calls me a selfish rear end in a top hat and walks off. My mother in law tries to excuse his outburst that he's hungry while my father in law can't stop apologizing. My husband confronted his brother after, his brother said he was still pissed at me, my husband said we were the ones pissed and he'd made a scene during my birthday dinner. Their mom is saying I could have been more accommodating and it's only fair to consider guests when inviting them out.

On one hand I'm annoyed that he acted that way but on the other I don't want to cause any trouble between us and my husbands family.

AITA?

Imagine knowingly going to an Indian restaurant and being like "one burger, please". And then getting mad when they won't magically apparate some fries for you.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
Something I have been wondering after having read this thread for years now.

When someone says "And then his family/friends/coworkers/ancestors/pets started texting me nonstop", is this just a catch all these days for literally any message they get on their phone, including social media? Because outside of the occasional spouse, I don't have the number to anyone else in any of my friend's families. Are these people sharing phone numbers to gang up on the person?

Are our protagonists unable to block anyone? They always act like it's a deluge of messages that literally makes their phone start smoking. It's just so prevalent in all of these stories, I feel like it's something they have to include now.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for not accommodating my brother in law during my birthday dinner and telling him his taste wasn't my priority?

Imagine knowingly going to an Indian restaurant and being like "one burger, please". And then getting mad when they won't magically apparate some fries for you.

Yeah but on the other hand how hard is it to keep some burgs around??!!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's one thing having an allergy or dietary restriction but being a picky bitch & throwing a tantrum in public as a grown-rear end adult would be laughable if it wasn't infuriating. Time to stop inviting mom & the crybaby to any future events.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

youknowthatoneguy posted:

When someone says "And then his family/friends/coworkers/ancestors/pets started texting me nonstop", is this just a catch all these days for literally any message they get on their phone, including social media? Because outside of the occasional spouse, I don't have the number to anyone else in any of my friend's families. Are these people sharing phone numbers to gang up on the person?

Are our protagonists unable to block anyone? They always act like it's a deluge of messages that literally makes their phone start smoking. It's just so prevalent in all of these stories, I feel like it's something they have to include now.

i actually read one the other day where OP specifically pointed out that the entire family was staying out of it and refused to offer opinions, and almost posted it just for that line. the rest was boring, tho, so i didn't

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Thank you!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

It depends on the family/friend/etc dynamics. Sometimes they're all used to rallying around and defending a certain person. Sometimes they're all texting and calling because they were presented with a bastardized version of the events by the person that started poo poo in the first place.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It depends on the family/friend/etc dynamics. Sometimes they're all used to rallying around and defending a certain person. Sometimes they're all texting and calling because they were presented with a bastardized version of the events by the person that started poo poo in the first place.

The other common version is "gently caress you for making this OUR problem!"

You usually see that one in connection to kicking out someone who's a nightmare to live with.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Captain Hygiene posted:

OP should take him to a three-star michelin restaurant so she can post his nuggies meltdown on tiktok

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cythereal posted:

The other common version is "gently caress you for making this OUR problem!"

You usually see that one in connection to kicking out someone who's a nightmare to live with.

Oh absolutely. They're all "Why can't you take them in for two weeks or six months or indefinitely?" and then you ask them why don't they do the same thing and they lose their poo poo.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The US Foreign Service, which teaches a lot of English-speakers languages, has a list. Afrikaans and Frisian aren't on the list because they aren't official languages anywhere, but otherwise the "most easy" list is Danish (24 weeks), Dutch (24 weeks), French (30 weeks), Italian (24 weeks), Norwegian (24 weeks), Portuguese (24 weeks), Romanian (24 weeks), Spanish (24 weeks), Swedish (24 weeks).

Danish and Dutch might be easy to learn, but they’re awful for pronunciation. Dutch has a bunch extra vowels, as well as words like Schiphol, which is probably the world’s most mispronounced airport name. Danish sounds like a long stream of incoherent mumbling to foreigners, Swedes and Norwegians call them potato eaters because they sound like they’re constantly talking with their mouths full.

I’ve never tried to learn any, but I get the impression Portuguese is really hard too. I tried to get my friend to teach me how to correctly pronounce his name, Luis, and gave up after a week because I couldn’t manage it.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

The only Danish person I know grew up on a potato farm and the first few times I saw him he seemed to exclusively tell potato-centric stories.

Thought that was why theyre called potato-eaters.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Three Olives posted:

There is an entire discussion to be had about SSDI benefits, but marriage and especially cohabitating absolutely reduces living expenses by A LOT. Massive government programs are complicated but I'm pretty sure this whole prevision was designed so if you are both living on survival income in 1 bedroom apartments and move in together in a 1 bedroom apartment you don't get to use the extra money to buy an Playstation. SSDI is not earned income, it's money so you don't you (hopefully) end up on the streets. Like, your social security benefit doesn't decrease because you get married, you earned it by paying into it, SSDI is what you need, regardless of what you have paid, to not live under a bridge eating cat food.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wow you suck lol

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for threatening to cut contact with my parents if they refuse to attend my wedding ?

quote:

I (25F) am engaged to a guy (28M) which my parents absolutely despise cause he's an ex convict. They even banned him from their home and are constantly worrying for my safety and trying to manipulate me to break up with him. I know my fiance did something really bad in the past and was in jail for it for a few years, but he's been a changed man ever since he got out of jail and our relationship is really healthy and fulfilling and it really hurts me that my parents don't even want to give him a single chance even for my sake. Their worst offense is them now refusing to attend our wedding as they said they don't want to support our marriage under any shape or form.

I begged them to reconsider their decision, but they don't want to budge at all, so I ended up telling them that if they can skip our wedding, but they shouldn't expect to have any contact with me going on in the future if they do so. Now my parents are blaming my fiance's for manipulating and pulling my strings in order to turn me against them, even if that couldn't be further from the truth, as he never cared about me having a relationship with my parents even with them hating his guts ever since they found out about his past.

Would I be the AH if I went ahead with my threat (as my parents seem like they'll go ahead with skipping my wedding) ? I don't want to lose my parents, but I also can't keep letting them disrespect my fiance like that.

The crime in question Sexual Assault

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah the whole "now my entire extended family is blowing up my phone!" is just so alien to me. All my extended family live in the same city for the most part and I talk to them maybe once a year or longer. The idea that they'd suddenly weigh in on personal matters is just nuts.

But yeah, some families really do have that dynamic. Very tight knit but with an absolute sense that there's some sort of official authority in the family, an official family party ideology and if anyone strays from it the whole family has to wear them down until they return to compliance. Or it will create factions within the family with different people taking different sides, usually along immediate family lines. But the main thing is that everyone knows everyone else's business and they all HAVE to pick a side and fight for that side.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Baronjutter posted:

But yeah, some families really do have that dynamic. Very tight knit but with an absolute sense that there's some sort of official authority in the family, an official family party ideology and if anyone strays from it the whole family has to wear them down until they return to compliance. Or it will create factions within the family with different people taking different sides, usually along immediate family lines. But the main thing is that everyone knows everyone else's business and they all HAVE to pick a side and fight for that side.

I live in one of these families, as it happens.

But the main drama the flying monkeys ever seem to get used for is arguments over who's bringing what to Thanksgiving/Christmas and how there's surely not enough space/oven time in the kitchen for YOUR dish, MINE takes precedence. :v:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

I always assume they are referring to a WhatsApp family group chat which seems to be a thing that a lot of people have.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cythereal posted:

I live in one of these families, as it happens.

But the main drama the flying monkeys ever seem to get used for is arguments over who's bringing what to Thanksgiving/Christmas and how there's surely not enough space/oven time in the kitchen for YOUR dish, MINE takes precedence. :v:

This is another family dynamic that is totally alien to me. The yearly super stressful family events that most everyone seems to hate and dread but it has to occur because FAMILY. Its the same with weddings. Why do people choose to have stressful weddings? Just make the chill wedding of your dreams inviting only the chill people you actually want to be there. "No! If I don't invite racist great uncle Clifford that I haven't seen in 15 years my family will blow up my phone about it!"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i'm kind of glad i'm estranged from most of my family. i mean, they're not bad people or anything, i just moved to the other side of the country in the days before facebook and haven't talked to them in decades

anyway my holidays are p easy

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Baronjutter posted:

This is another family dynamic that is totally alien to me. The yearly super stressful family events that most everyone seems to hate and dread but it has to occur because FAMILY.

In my family, it's usually good natured squabbling. It's stressful, yes, but that's honestly part of the fun as the kitchen descends into somewhat controlled chaos twice a year.

Speaking for my own family, at least, I think it's something of an outlet for stress and drama in a safe way, like the corresponding football arguments. Yeah, everyone could be arguing about politics and personal feuds, but it's better and safer to channel all that drama energy into something relatively harmless.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

His family is doing him a huge disservice by not just laughing and laughing at his tantrum and his child-like taste in food. You let him get away with this for too long.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DangerDongs posted:

His family is doing him a huge disservice by not just laughing and laughing at his tantrum and his child-like taste in food. You let him get away with this for too long.

Yep. My niece pulled that poo poo at a wedding and she had to leave the table and miss dessert.

She was four. This is a motherfucking adult and he doesn't even have the decency to be ashamed of it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
oh it's even better:

quote:

He'll eat anything cooked at home or in other people's homes. Very different when it's food from another place.

quote:

He's 30 and has no diagnosis's

gently caress this guy

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Especially that it was OP's birthday dinner and she chose the place she wanted to celebrate it. Her husband, her parents, her siblings were all there; the husband's brother is the least important guest at her party, yet he expects her to shape her decisions around him. She even warned him that there was nothing there that he'd eat. gently caress that.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DangerDongs posted:

yeah, at some point you've got to blame the boat-unrocking, squeaky-step-dodging enablers who refuse to stop accomodating this bullshit behavior

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly, just start making fun of him.

"Oooh, does babby want a burgie-wurgie? I don't know if they have chicken nuggies, let's askie-waskie the nice man! Should we also get a baby seat too? Oooh, is baby getting a bit sleepy? Did baby miss nap time?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Troublemaker posted:

Especially that it was OP's birthday dinner and she chose the place she wanted to celebrate it. Her husband, her parents, her siblings were all there; the husband's brother is the least important guest at her party, yet he expects her to shape her decisions around him. She even warned him that there was nothing there that he'd eat. gently caress that.

The MIL clearly expected it, and phrasing it in terms of accommodations like a disability is the language used to guilt and shame everyone into always doing what golden child expects.

It's like one of those stories where someone new to the family/group finally stands up to the decorum tantrums and then hears from everyone else on the downlow that they all hate having to cater to that one specific person but were too afraid to be the first voice to speak up.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

mllaneza posted:

Thank you for auditioning, we'll be in touch. And enjoy your stay in Germany.

I'm still 4 pages behind on the thread but I need you to know I cackled out loud at this

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost
I have an employee that can't behave at restaurants. He will full out berate staff if they don't speak redneck. The last time he was invited out was to a very good Italian restaurant. He refused to eat any pizza, pasta, or their sandwiches. When they offered him a hamburger he through a fit about provolone or mozzarella being the cheese options. When they finally delivered his meat (nothing else) and bun burger he pouted that it was the worst burger he had ever been served. They actually make a specialty burger and I went back for lunch and it was excellent.

The picky employee is no longer invited to ANY events. We just ignore him when lunch roles around.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
my sister once went to a restaurant with a guy who threw a fit because they brought him his budweiser in a glass. he wanted to be able to see the "born on" date on the bottle

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If I’m gonna drink trashwater it better have been bottled in the last couple years

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He marks the dates in his calendar to quietly celebrate their birthdays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

OP should take him to a three-star michelin restaurant so she can post his nuggies meltdown on tiktok

We have a long running joke in the family that one of my brothers once ordered chicken strips at a nice coastal seafood restaurant.

He literally did not, but the joke was about how country he is, and everyone has repeated it for so long that it’s practically historical fact that he ordered chicken strips at an expensive seafood restaurant.

The humor in is it that it’s absolutely pants on head absurd to imagine someone ordering tendies at a proper restaurant.

Or so we thought I guess