Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The election of Donald Trump really was this psycho spiritual event that put us in a world beyond parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Famethrowa posted:

you know, I didn't love glass onion but this almost redeems it

Lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The election of Donald Trump really was this psycho spiritual event that put us in a world beyond parody.

I've told people a thousand times, none of you are real. I got into a serious car accident in 2014 and didn't have a single injury.... Or so I thought. The only explanation for all the weird poo poo that's happened since then is that I'm trapped in a coma and dreaming everything

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I finished all the Deutschland 8x series (83, 86, and 89) on Hulu. It’s really three seasons of the same show but I guess it can’t be grouped because the titles are different. We follow the increasingly absurd escapades of reluctant East German spy Martin as he gets personally involved in numerous real world geopolitical events.

I saw Deutschland 83 several years ago so I’m a bit fuzzy on it but I remember liking it a lot. No thanks to Hulu I managed to stumble across 86 & 89 recently in its library. 86 was OK, 89 gets really absurd toward the end. Some of the characters get cartoonish and any plausible realism has long been thrown out the window by the last two episodes.

While it’s far from a documentary, one of the highlights is just getting exposed to a bunch of real world events that you may not know about. The series weaves in real contemporary news footage. I was too young to remember a lot of this stuff as it was happening so a fair amount was new to me.

On that subject, one thing that 86 covers that I didn’t really know anything about was the Angolan - South African war border conflict. I recently randomly watched the movie Moffie (Hulu) where that was the backdrop. The Hulu description was pretty vague and I’m not up on Afrikaans slurs so I didn’t actually know what the movie was about (the title is a homophobic slur).

We follow a young man conscripted into the South African army. You think the movie is going to cover the racism of Apartheid but there are only a few scenes where that comes up. It instead mainly focuses on the utterly toxic Christian hypermasculinity of the society which I didn’t really know anything about.

I’ve seen some criticisms of the movie around the fact that it doesn’t directly confront the regime’s racism that much, but honestly most people probably have a good enough understanding that South African Apartheid was No Good Very Bad in that department that we didn’t necessarily need that. It was more illuminating to me to see the machinery involved in fostering that general level of hatred in people.

I liked the movie and unlike the Deutschland 89 it didn’t fall into some obvious tropes to give us a perfectly happy ending.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It’s incredible how rich everyone is in the Sex and the City reboot. Soooooo rich.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

It’s incredible how rich everyone is in the Sex and the City reboot. Soooooo rich.

Yeah, only Charlotte had any money in the first series.

I do have to say, season 2 is so much better than season 1, which was so cringe.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mcmagic posted:

The only good dinosaur properties are Jurassic Park 1 and Prehistoric Planet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_Dinosaurs_&_Monster_Birds

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'll fight to defend The Lost World alongside Temple of Doom. They're both pretty fun!!!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Legend Of Dinosaurs & Monster Birds is the best movie ever made about prehistoric animals, but the title is entirely erroneous. The creatures are reptiles, not dinosaurs.

The actual best non-JP dino movies are Dinotasia, Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie: The Cretaceous Cut (on mute), and Area 407.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'll fight to defend The Lost World alongside Temple of Doom. They're both pretty fun!!!

I know in my heart that Raiders is a better movie, but Temple of Doom will always be my favorite. I haven't revisited The Lost World since opening night, but I should really give it another shot.

e: was actually chatting with an early 20s co-worker about Temple of Doom the other day, he loves it too. Blew his mind when I shared pics of this beat to hell collectors mag I've been lugging around for 40 years now

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 14, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

temple of doom blows last crusade out of the water. great movie.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
The opening scene in Hong Kong is soooo good but the palace sections in India are way too slow. And it's been said a million times, but the racism really is quite distracting

A lot of people don't like Kate capshaw's performance but I actually think it's quite hilarious and it works for the whole movie

The part where Indy gets brainwashed was way too scary for me as a kid

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

:hai:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I saw Aloha (2015, Cameron Crowe) with my in laws a couple weeks ago and it's one of the weirdest loving movies I've ever seen. I don't want to imply that it was interesting. It did feel like peeking into the head of a Hollywood bigwig in his late 50s. I feel certain this was the first thing he wrote after his divorce and it just took some time to get it made.

Bradley Cooper plays the most handsome, intelligent, virtuous, wonderful man alive, according to everyone he talks to. They're all just disappointed in him because he's afraid to commit to a serious relationship. He has that conversation with literally every character in the movie, including his ex's kids. Everyone in this movie really, really cares about Bradley Cooper's love life for some reason. There's also a plot concerning building a military base on indigenous Hawaiian land, a satellite, and an evil billionaire that's total loving gibberish.

Movies like this make me feel like I'm not at the top of my game. I go out looking for The Worst Movies Ever Made and end up watching stuff like Mondo Cannibale or A Wife's Nightmare or anything by David DeCoteau, while renowed Hollywood directors are putting out stuff like this and I'm totally missing it because I don't pay attention to entire genres.

Anyway, it's on Starz.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 14, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm watching Linoleum, which is kinda like Donnie Darko but with Jim Gaffigan instead of Jake Gyllenhall. Also Rhea Seehorn is in it

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 14, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I saw Aloha (2015, Cameron Crowe) with my in laws a couple weeks ago and it's one of the weirdest loving movies I've ever seen. I don't want to imply that it was interesting. It did feel like peeking into the head of a Hollywood bigwig in his late 50s. I feel certain this was the first thing he wrote after his divorce and it just took some time to get it made.

the most incredible thing from that movie was casting Emma Stone as a Chinese/native Hawaiian officer named Allison Ng :psyduck:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've been watching the FX show Dave at work and its...fine. Its one of those shows that starts good and kind of steadily gets worse and worse but has a decent finale so every season ends on a high note. If you liked Lil Dicky before watching it you'll probably actually like him less by the end of it.

I also watched the first two eps of Soderbergh's new HBO show Full Circle and it rocks so far, has some slightly-more-grounded True Detective vibes. Hopefully that means it doesn't fall apart the same way lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Famethrowa posted:

the most incredible thing from that movie was casting Emma Stone as a Chinese/native Hawaiian officer named Allison Ng :psyduck:
I feel like they were lucky with that. Like, the whitewashing distracted from the way the plot centers on a Cuban Missile Crisis level disaster, but everybody treats it like Bill Murray was just cheating on his taxes.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Wolfsheim posted:

I've been watching the FX show Dave at work and its...fine. Its one of those shows that starts good and kind of steadily gets worse and worse but has a decent finale so every season ends on a high note. If you liked Lil Dicky before watching it you'll probably actually like him less by the end of it.

Are you talking about the first season? Because I thought it was great even though Dave just spirals into a self absorbed rear end in a top hat. I haven't watched the second season yet.

A MIRACLE posted:

Also Rhea Seehorn is in it

Sold! I will watch anything with her in it, she's probably my favorite actress right now.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like they were lucky with that. Like, the whitewashing distracted from the way the plot centers on a Cuban Missile Crisis level disaster, but everybody treats it like Bill Murray was just cheating on his taxes.

Yeah back when that movie came out I wasn't expecting the phrase "Bill Murray's orbital nuclear weapons platform" to show up in reviews.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I kinda feel the opposite, I've liked Lil Dicky's IRL music less and less mostly as his career's gone on, but Dave has kinda redeemed him for me. There are definitely moments where the show loses me (when he tries to talk about deep ideas and comes off like a 14 year old) but in a lot of ways I keep liking the show more as it goes on.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Famethrowa posted:

it's truly incredible that her manager or agent or whatever let her do that.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

mcmagic posted:

it's truly incredible that her manager or agent or whatever let her do that.

Didn’t it turn out Emma stone is like 1/2 Asian or something?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

That became the spin and everyone laughed harder at the movie.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Field Mousepad posted:

Are you talking about the first season? Because I thought it was great even though Dave just spirals into a self absorbed rear end in a top hat. I haven't watched the second season yet.

Sold! I will watch anything with her in it, she's probably my favorite actress right now.

No, S1-3! I liked S1 a fair bit on its own.

Martman posted:

I kinda feel the opposite, I've liked Lil Dicky's IRL music less and less mostly as his career's gone on, but Dave has kinda redeemed him for me. There are definitely moments where the show loses me (when he tries to talk about deep ideas and comes off like a 14 year old) but in a lot of ways I keep liking the show more as it goes on.

To me it kind of loses itself because the structure changes, like Dave being a weird self-absorbed hypochondriac in S1 while trying to achieve mainstream success is funny, but S2 and S3 just kind of zeroing in and going "no look he's really self-absorbed and an even bigger hypochondriac when he gets successful!" is just...not interesting enough to sustain a show? It kind of becomes a poor man's Bojack Horseman.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Haha what are you talking about?

Unless you mean the person the character is based on, who is a quarter Chinese and a quarter native Hawaiian.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 15, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Haha what are you talking about?

Unless you mean the person the character is based on, who is a quarter Chinese and a quarter native Hawaiian.

That was something I had read in response to the backlash of her being cast in a non-white role. From glancing at her IMDB I don’t see anything about it, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

She can appropriate whatever she likes, I’m down for whatever she’s in

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My memory is Stone and Crowe both argued the character was supposed to be a white asian woman because the idea of the character was that she was very proud of her asian identity and frustrated that she was t recognized as such. But they also both at least eventually admitted this was probably just a bad idea they never should have done.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
You’re thinking of Zach Morris from saved by the bell being half Indonesian

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Wolfsheim posted:

No, S1-3! I liked S1 a fair bit on its own.

Now that I'm thinking about it I did watch the second season but not the third. But yeah Dave is kind of a dick to the point where he's unlikeable so I get that.

Speaking of unlikeable people I just finished the second season of The Bear and drat Carmie. Come on man.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsheim posted:

I also watched the first two eps of Soderbergh's new HBO show Full Circle and it rocks so far, has some slightly-more-grounded True Detective vibes. Hopefully that means it doesn't fall apart the same way lol

Not even 9 minutes in to the first episode: CCH Pounder, Tim Olyphant, Claire Danes, Zazie Beetz, and Jim Gaffigan. I'm sold just on the cast alone!

EDIT: poo poo I don't know I didn't recognize him in the funeral scene; Jharrel Jerome too and Dennis Quaid.

EDIT: Okay; 2 episodes in & I'm hooked. Also, Phaldut Sarma is knocking it out of the park in every scene he's in.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 15, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just started rewatching deadwood and was surprised not only to see Nick Offerman but also his weiner

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nick Offerman hanging dong is classic Deadwood.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

is his wood... dead?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Hardwood is haram on us tv.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

It's true.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

watched The Man Who Knew Too Little, which holds up fantastically. gotta be one of my all time favorites

also Our Idiot Brother is up on Hulu if you like Paul Rudd movies with good vibes

then I watched Volunteers, which is a Tom Hanks and John Candy 80s comedy I had never seen. the set design was super cool in this one, and it managed to only have a few racist jokes, pretty good for a 80s hollywood movie set in asia. Candy and Hanks both made me laugh a bunch and Rita Wilson was great as the straight man

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Collateral posted:

Hardwood is haram on us tv.

We should at least adopt the Mull of Kintyre rule