Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Magus42 posted:

Can't you keybind the parts of the emote wheel?

Yeah but I was in the emote wheel options, not in the actual options -> Controls -> Keybinds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

ptr makes sense in a game like diablo 3 where there is nothing to discover and nothing to do beyond rifts. in d3 you just put on your seasonal 10,000% set and click on dudes for 10 minutes or whatever and you're done until the next season, so that is why having a ptr there makes zero difference

d4 has more wheels turning, more meat in the trunk. internal testers and a closed ptr is the way to go for a game like this

Lol if you think… d4 isn’t exactly the same

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Psyker posted:

Literally everyone. It’s never “a few bugs” it’s “massive oversight or lack of testing.”

Need proof? Go play a Sorc and then go play literally any other class.

Yes, Diablo 4 had a massive endgame beta and Sorc was still left in the dust design-wise. Hell, we even had a big open beta where misguided feedback meant that Sorc was nerfed as well.
Thanks for agreeing with me that PTRs wont actually fix anything of importance

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Where is my cube. Blizz is withholding the cube from us.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

Lol if you think… d4 isn’t exactly the same

blizz sorc, ball lightning sorc, blood lance necro, lightning storm druid, etc etc these build took weeks before people experimented, put them together and realized they were good

d3 ptr is just wudijo reading you a list of which sets got buffed by 10,000% this season lmao

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

alright guys so this is the set you want to equip see how it got a 10,000% damage buff and this other set didn't, alright see y'all next season

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Psyker posted:

IMO they should double or triple the XP gains and boost the renown gains.

I mean now that you can skip the 20 hour campaign and speedrun adventure mode lv50 in 5 hours, also start renown straight from almost complete tier 3...

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ptr makes sense in a game like diablo 3 where there is nothing to discover and nothing to do beyond rifts. in d3 you just put on your seasonal 10,000% set and click on dudes for 10 minutes or whatever and you're done until the next season, so that is why having a ptr there makes zero difference

d4 has more wheels turning, more meat in the trunk. internal testers and a closed ptr is the way to go for a game like this

Lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't played any D4 in the last 2.5 weeks because I've been traveling, but my understanding is that sorc is basically the worst class now.

For season 1, if I want to play a non-lovely ranged class, does Bone Necromancer make the most sense to switch to?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
theres some aight ranged rogue builds

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sorc is fine? Also maybe wait for the patch drop before committing to anything.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't played any D4 in the last 2.5 weeks because I've been traveling, but my understanding is that sorc is basically the worst class now.

For season 1, if I want to play a non-lovely ranged class, does Bone Necromancer make the most sense to switch to?

TBD

We'll get patch notes on Tuesday, presumably with a bunch of balance changes.

I'm planning to go ranged Rogue because there are already viable builds and I'm betting on them buffing it a bit.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

blizz sorc, ball lightning sorc, blood lance necro, lightning storm druid, etc etc these build took weeks before people experimented, put them together and realized they were good

d3 ptr is just wudijo reading you a list of which sets got buffed by 10,000% this season lmao

It's the same thing. The set gave you boosts to certain skills, you had to figure out how to complement those with skill runes and other skills, cubed enchants etc.

Diablo 4 just adds layres of obfuscation. You gotta keep track of each item slot and how it works into the formula.

D3 Formula 16433 x 10 000 you're a giant frog
D4 Formula 1565 x 150 x 700 when the enemy's surname begins with F and you called him an rear end in a top hat in the last 3 seconds

It's got more potential for sure, but gear and aspect juggling just makes the process tedious and everybody got burned by "selecting fun skills" when they should've known about the buckets, man. Crit and Vulnerable for everything dude this is not Diablo 3.

I'm the last one of my friend group planning to play Diablo 4 again. My friend group of 6 is done with the game for good.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Never saw anyone's brain so broken by Diablo 3 before, wild to see it in action.

This game has more to experiment with and more things that interact so it's bad that people get to test & give feedback, got it

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

"took weeks"

lmfao if you think people weren't using those builds until they saw a streamer "experiment" and prove it was viable. When a game has like 5 general options for builds per class and millions of players you're gonna have to stretch a lot more than that to have a unique build. "Lightning Storm Druid! Nobody has ever thought to actually use a skill they unlocked in the first ten levels!" "Blizzard Sorceress! Nobody would ever think to try a build that was in the last two games!"

poo poo we got a dude posting here who is anti-guide and shows off his sweet Lightning Storm Druid.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

bus hustler posted:

Never saw anyone's brain so broken by Diablo 3 before, wild to see it in action.

This game has more to experiment with and more things that interact so it's bad that people get to test & give feedback, got it

correct. last time these geniuses gave feedback was during the endgame beta and the open beta and it directly led to the sorc getting all kinds of hosed lmao

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vic posted:

I'm the last one of my friend group planning to play Diablo 4 again. My friend group of 6 is done with the game for good.
Sounds like you need new friends. Weird for people to just be "nah" so strongly when the game has been out less than a quarter.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
every build is viable in this game if you're loving around, almost every build is viable if you're putting in a small amount of effort, and some builds are viable if you wanna get up to nm70 or so. beyond that yeah man it takes a while to perfect it

Doomykins posted:

"took weeks"

lmfao if you think people weren't using those builds until they saw a streamer "experiment" and prove it was viable. When a game has like 5 general options for builds per class and millions of players you're gonna have to stretch a lot more than that to have a unique build. "Lightning Storm Druid! Nobody has ever thought to actually use a skill they unlocked in the first ten levels!" "Blizzard Sorceress! Nobody would ever think to try a build that was in the last two games!"

poo poo we got a dude posting here who is anti-guide and shows off his sweet Lightning Storm Druid.

ok yeah but most of those millions of players get killed by helltide meteors

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

did they have a ptr when they forgot to test if resistances worked

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Doomykins posted:

"took weeks"

"i totally could have come up with that" i'm sure you could have sonny, but you didn't. and neither did the vast majority of the playerbase. they were too busy parroting each other to actually learn the game. yes there is a game to learn not just click on the green icons for 10,000% damage

try learning and you might come up with something urself

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

To be clear you're talking about casting blizzard with an aspect on one of your items lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It's kinda weird D4 stans have to make things up to hype D4 when D4 is actually pretty good by itself.

"You'd have never figured out how to take a lightning primary, +lightning passives and use aspects/uniques that benefit lightning." Wish I'd watched a 14 minute video to tell me Umbral Aspect might be good after all. :sigh: good shitposting brother

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 14, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Josh Lyman posted:

Bone Necro is really good, but I also think it's the only really good Necro spec right now, so if they nerf it you are kind of screwed. Rogue you have Rapid Fire / Penetrating Shot that are both pretty good range builds and a bunch of melee stuff that also is good.

I'm personally waiting for the patch notes on the 18th before I make any decisions.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 14, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sounds like you need new friends. Weird for people to just be "nah" so strongly when the game has been out less than a quarter.

lmao

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Doomykins posted:

It's kinda weird D4 stans have to make things up to hype D4 when D4 is actually pretty good by itself.

"You'd have never figured out how to take a lightning primary, +lightning passives and use aspects/uniques that benefit lightning." Wish I'd watched a 14 minute video to tell me Umbral Aspect might be good after all. :sigh: good shitposting brother

wtf? no sorc build worth a poo poo wastes a precious aspect slot on umbral LMAO

thanks for confirming that you could not, in fact, come up with any of those builds yourself

Morbus
May 18, 2004

flashman posted:

To be clear you're talking about casting blizzard with an aspect on one of your items lol

pls dont infringe my patent

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

"No sorry I won't come to the cookout and we won't be playing Baldur's Gate 3 together."
"Well if grinding nightmare dungeons is too much effort for you, I guess that shows what kinda person your really are. Goodbye!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

thanks for confirming that you could not, in fact, come up with any of those builds yourself

oh no you were serious the entire time :ohdear:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I will be using umbral (unless its still less mana than prodigies ) in a season 1 blizz meteor orb sorc that drops Frost Nova and ice armor

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Doomykins posted:

oh no you were serious the entire time :ohdear:

nah hold on you're not gonna expose yourself that hard and then try to post through it LMAO

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Isn't infinimist good too? That looks fun. I think I'll start bone necro and transition to that, pending patch notes, then do something with whatever the new poo poo enables, then back to PoE.

The comment last page about the disconnect between PoE and D3 players about how much you gotta redo between seasons was p on the money, at least in my case. I like how altars and map exploration carry over because a big overworld traversal grind sounds loving awful but honestly I'd sort of prefer if they were just to renown 1 so I could get more potions as I'm leveling. I really like the feeling of a reset of character power and economy (in this game that's basically your personal stock of aspects, gold, and crafting mats so it's less impactful than a game with trade but still). Starting from scratch is really fun because the game for me isn't really about grinding whatever endgame content, though I will do that. It's about the journey from zero to hero who can do that content. I think I will like having the 5 skill points to open a builder and a spender right from jump but otherwise I want more ways to progress character power during the season rather than fewer. I'm also 100% with Wuxi on PTR - no thanks. Release buggy and broken poo poo. Hotfix what you can. The wild west aspect of new ARPGs and new seasons is absolutely my jam. None of this is surprising for a long time PoE lover.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

nah hold on you're not gonna expose yourself that hard and then try to post through it LMAO

P sure they're referring to the lightning storm druid they mentioned at the start of your weird slapfight created by a poster in this very thread. Your level of hostility seems weirdly high to me, but that is par for the course in ARPG threads.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

To be fair you're posting through "nobody thought to center a build around one of 4-5 choices for a class until a streamer showed them the light."

I mean yeah you got me on Umbral, I picked a universally common aspect and threw it out there on the one class it doesn't apply to. Obviously it's not gonna apply if you're arc lash or have some other non-resource dump source of crowd control/vuln/frozen procs or whatever makes your build du jour work. It's not actually rocket science that you CC and vuln bust the gently caress out of monsters in big piles or the boss on stagger.

My point is the idea that "heh, Diablo 3 told you what to do with sets, how plebeian" and "Diablo 4 has builds you can't even imagine" is a joke. I pick a themed set of synergizing abilities, passives and gear/board boosts and then run it into rising NM dungeon numbers until you need to adjust it. This game isn't THAT deep. It's deep enough but lol, lmao at the anti-D3 squad being tricked this hard by a system this close to D3 just minus the green text rails.

Anyway if you've owned me then that's that, on the 20th I'll try to make my own build by picking Druid, casting lightning storm and pairing it with things that make that better. If you think this is actually leagues ahead of D3 then I'm glad you're having fun at least.

pork never goes bad posted:

P sure they're referring to the lightning storm druid they mentioned at the start of your weird slapfight created by a poster in this very thread. Your level of hostility seems weirdly high to me, but that is par for the course in ARPG threads.

That was on my mind too but I'll own up to the mistake of mentioning Sorceress in the same breath. But again, D4 isn't rocket science. I'll waddle my cool fat guy up to monsters, cast lightning storm, think "It'd be cool if I didn't have to stop casting that spell so often" and go pair Umbral with the half dozen ways Druid can poo poo CC, including the passives of lightning storm and later skill tree lightning passives.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 14, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm still reeling from that time when I started explaining "damage buckets" to everyone in our Discord with a straight face. Jeez.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Well I guess that the hostility comment still applies!

Vic what's your alternative to damage buckets that isn't trivially solvable?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

there is no hostility here.. we're just jostling around until the patch notes drop :)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Isn't infinimist good too? That looks fun. I think I'll start bone necro and transition to that, pending patch notes, then do something with whatever the new poo poo enables, then back to PoE.

The comment last page about the disconnect between PoE and D3 players about how much you gotta redo between seasons was p on the money, at least in my case. I like how altars and map exploration carry over because a big overworld traversal grind sounds loving awful but honestly I'd sort of prefer if they were just to renown 1 so I could get more potions as I'm leveling. I really like the feeling of a reset of character power and economy (in this game that's basically your personal stock of aspects, gold, and crafting mats so it's less impactful than a game with trade but still). Starting from scratch is really fun because the game for me isn't really about grinding whatever endgame content, though I will do that. It's about the journey from zero to hero who can do that content. I think I will like having the 5 skill points to open a builder and a spender right from jump but otherwise I want more ways to progress character power during the season rather than fewer. I'm also 100% with Wuxi on PTR - no thanks. Release buggy and broken poo poo. Hotfix what you can. The wild west aspect of new ARPGs and new seasons is absolutely my jam. None of this is surprising for a long time PoE lover.

It does fairly terrible damage, particularly single target, but you never die. If you like big numbers and bone spears it's not like that at all.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

there is no hostility here.. we're just jostling around until the patch notes drop :)

What happened to the massive seasonal content anyway? We got 30 jewels lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Well I guess that the hostility comment still applies!

Vic what's your alternative to damage buckets that isn't trivially solvable?

Either display the calculation for the player or make it all additive so it's easy to gauge at a glance.

The bucket formula stays the same for all characters at all times. That's trivial. There are no variability to it. Prioritize vulnerable and crit, then everything else. That's braindead simple. It's only somewhat incovenient to keep track of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Vic posted:

Either display the calculation for the player or make it all additive so it's easy to gauge at a glance.

The bucket formula stays the same for all characters at all times. That's trivial. There are no variability to it. Prioritize vulnerable and crit, then everything else. That's braindead simple. It's only somewhat incovenient to keep track of.
You could probably also let it be all multiplicative (which is how my brain wants to interpret it intuitively) and then massage the numbers so that they don't explode out of control.

It's exactly the same in terms of finding gear, but I find it more interesting to chase a breadth of increases instead of every item needing to always have the same stats.