Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I think most people have basic electric or gas ranges.

You don't need an oven to prepare food at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

there's a fair amount of housing in Seattle for example that have no kitchen

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

cool av posted:

20 eggs often my dinner

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Justin Tyme posted:

I'd never argue more folks shouldn't cook more at home but there's a lot of food that (in a perfect world) is ideally made in giant pots for dozens of people and/or is a huge pain in the rear end to do fresh just for one or two people (or doesn't reheat well)

Stuff like a chipotle burrito though, you know they're microwaving the ingredients anyway lol make it at home and "have it your way"!!!

Free municipal cafeterias where I could just drop in and get a plate of whatever the hell they're making that day would be great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

another downside of the atomization of the extended family

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

BBQ for example is something that I am hungry for more often than I have the patience to do myself (and then get to enjoy mediocrely reheated over a few days). Plus when your partner/roommates don't like something you do like and you're not about to spend an hour or two making one serving. Also there's some stuff that are straight up better than you can do yourself, such as the local Indian place that makes a great butter chicken that seems inauthentic to the point no recipes I have tried replicates it.

This feels like a topic that gets rehashed every month or two, at least this time it sprung out of how expensive takeout is and not "the restaurant industry is wholly designed around letting people participate in a caste system"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you are limiting your dinner choices to BBQ then yeah I see the conflict with cooking at home

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

euphronius posted:

if you are limiting your dinner choices to BBQ then yeah I see the conflict with cooking at home

It was just an example of something that takes a long time to make and usually serves more than one or two people (ie something well suited for takeout)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

extended family tho is an excellent place for BBQ (like half a pig or whatever they do )

need to go back to extended families . (I know they have their downsides )

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Justin Tyme posted:

Stuff like a chipotle burrito though, you know they're microwaving the ingredients anyway lol make it at home and "have it your way"!!!

Chipotle is a really bad example because they are the one fast place that actually cooks everything onsite the "right" way.

Employees hate it because it's a lot more work than reheating garbage in a bag like Panera, and there's more food safety risk to customers too.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Free municipal cafeterias where I could just drop in and get a plate of whatever the hell they're making that day would be great.

There’s a lady here who does something like that, preps vats of Indian food and sells it meat-and-three cafeteria style and it’s the best option for lunch downtown

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this is kinda interesting
New Partnership with Costa Rica to Explore Semiconductor Supply Chain Opportunities - United States Department of State

www.state.gov posted:

The State Department will partner with the Government of Costa Rica to explore opportunities to diversify and grow the global semiconductor ecosystem and create a more resilient, secure, and sustainable global semiconductor value chain. This partnership is enabled by the International Technology Security and Innovation Fund (“ITSI” Fund), created by the CHIPS Act of 2022.

The United States views Costa Rica as a partner in ensuring the semiconductor supply chain can keep pace with the digital transformation underway. Products ranging from vehicles to medical devices increasingly rely on semiconductors as the building blocks of today’s economy. This collaboration underscores the significant potential to expand this industry in Costa Rica to the benefit of the United States and Costa Rica.

This partnership will begin with a review of Costa Rica’s current semiconductor industry development, regulatory framework, and workforce and infrastructure needs. The outcome of this review will inform future collaboration on developing this critical sector.

More information about the ITSI Fund: The U.S. Department of State International Technology Security and Innovation Fund.
wonder why Costa Rica

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

-every fascist ever

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

euphronius posted:

need to go back to extended families

With how things are going, I'm pretty sure this is gonna happen whether people want to or not

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lpzie posted:

-every fascist ever

what

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Vox Nihili posted:

a $10,000 table, however, is non-negotiable

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mawarannahr posted:

not everyone has a kitchen + lotta kitchenhavers don't have an oven...even fridgehaving isn't universal

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

that's right

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

nobody wants to work at the NSF anymore and the union wants to keep it that way
NSF announces return-to-office changes before finishing negotiations, drawing union ire

federalnewsnetwork.com posted:

Following weeks of return-to-office announcements, yet another agency has made its plans clear to currently teleworking employees.

But this time, the National Science Foundation has drawn negative attention from its union. NSF leaders made a return-to-office announcement to staff members Friday, prior to negotiating or reaching an agreement on telework with the American Federation of Government Employees, the federal union said.

Starting in October, all telework-eligible NSF employees and Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) employees stationed at agency headquarters will have to work in the office at least four days per two-week pay period, NSF leaders said in an all-staff email, obtained by Federal News Network. The changes do not apply to employees eligible for remote work or those with an approved remote work agreement.

“We want to strengthen the NSF culture by increasing our time in person, while meeting our business needs and maintaining workplace flexibility,” NSF Director Sethuraman Panchanathan and Chief Operating Officer Karen Marrongelle said in the email.

The leaders called the end of the pandemic a “unique opportunity” to move forward with a permanent hybrid work schedule, while reestablishing the benefits of working in person. NSF chose to increase time spent in person “to ensure we meet NSF business needs while maintaining the flexibility for staff to balance their personal and professional lives,” an agency spokesperson said in an email to Federal News Network.

Jesús Soriano, president of AFGE Local 3403, representing NSF employees, called the return-to-office announcement “non-sensical,” and pointed to increased efficiency of NSF staff members who were teleworking during the COVID-19 pandemic. Maximum telework at NSF improved employee engagement and work-life balance, but now a decrease of telework will harm recruitment and retention, an area where NSF is already struggling, Soriano said.

“The leader is treating employees as numbers on a spreadsheet, instead of brilliant scientists and engineers and innovators who are critical for discharging the NSF mission,” Soriano told Federal News Network. “Return-to-building orders support a narrative that federal employees are not productive unless sitting in an office chair … [They] encourage resignations and divisiveness and make government work less attractive.”

In the all-staff email, Panchanathan and Marrongelle reminded staff that NSF does not have a maximum telework category for employees, and those flexibilities were only temporary as employees began office re-entry in 2022.

“We continue to maintain our commitment to building a more positive and collaborative culture at NSF,” the leaders said. “We are and will continue to assess the effectiveness of our policies and adapt as necessary.”

AFGE’s chapter at NSF did have a handful of informal discussions with management about telework, Soriano said, during which he proposed several flexibilities for employees. The union was in the process of preparing a counterproposal, but did not agree to any changes prior to the agency’s email announcement Friday.

NSF leaders said they will continue to negotiate with AFGE on additional flexibilities, including an exceptions or waiver policy, as well as an office space policy for the building. The agency management said the discussions with the union have been “productive.”

But Soriano pushed back, saying agency leadership was unilaterally imposing telework changes without fully negotiating. He requested a meeting with management to review and provide constructive feedback on the return-to-office announcement.

NSF’s announcement comes after the White House called on all agencies to update their work environment plans, measure productivity and adjust telework levels where needed. In response, many federal unions emphasized that bargaining agreements already in place outweigh the Office of Management and Budget memo from April.

The Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Agriculture are two agencies that have, so far, announced increased in-person work only for managers and supervisors, while not making any changes for staff members or bargaining unit employees. The Department of Veterans Affairs, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Agency for International Development have also announced return-to-office plans.

NSF’s changes to the telework policy will officially take effect Oct. 23. In the meantime, AFGE is drafting a “reasonable” counteroffer, Soriano said, and evaluating legal options.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

most cooking can be done in one pot using a portable induction cooker thing so there. in a perfect world we could stroll down the road to the nearby high street and purchase dinner for the whole family for a fiver but we don’t we live in loving hellworld so stop making excuses for chipotles $15 loving burrito

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

cool av posted:

20 eggs often my dinner

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

and vets should be free too gently caress!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I occasionally get to eat at cafeterias priced at cost. it’s stunningly affordable.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Smash banker, eat his eggs

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

DocEvil is one ugly goon.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Horseshoe theory posted:

DocEvil is one ugly goon.

Kudos to him for having the confidence to pull a public stunt like that while looking like that

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

in theory centralized communal cooking by specialized experts would be cheaper, less time consuming, and tastier than shaming everyone into cooking themselves

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

“…wait, no.”

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

in theory centralized communal cooking by specialized experts would be cheaper, less time consuming, and tastier than shaming everyone into cooking themselves

Yeah the idea of getting takeout or just eating any food cooked outside the home in general isn't at all sinister or bad on its own, it's one of those "as applied under American capitalism" things.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
what are ya'll complaining about folx. didn't you know, indigenous peoples used to go work in the hunt+gather cubicles from 7a-6pm and then retreat to their each individual atomized teepees, complete with a driveway to park their bison, and each individually cook their own time-consuming acorn pancakes for the nuclear family on their own campfire ovens

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Xaris posted:

a driveway to park their bison,

:hmmyes:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

comedyblissoption posted:

In China there (to my admittedly limited knowledge) are lots of people who don't cook at home at all and eat out every meal, it was a concern during COVID lockdowns. I probably wouldn't cook as much either if I had that much good street food around.

I like to cook, but I have 4 hours of free time on a weekday at best. Prepping, cooking, and then cleaning everything is at least an hour and closer to two. I don't rely on fast food instead because lol inflation, so I'll typically microwave something or just eat crackers.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Stereotype posted:

paying someone to make food for you is a moral failure

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

legal eagle did a video about sentencing guidelines and it now annoys me how people always say “person faces a max of x years” because no the person never actually face that especially if they have no criminal history

don’t get me wrong coffeezilla does great work tho

coffeezilla just put up a video about mashinsky and in it he did say Mashinsky is unlikely to serve the "maximum" sentence, so my minor gripe was not a problem in his actual video

now i wonder if he lurks this thread

if you do cz keep up the good work

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Xaris posted:

what are ya'll complaining about folx. didn't you know, indigenous peoples used to go work in the hunt+gather cubicles from 7a-6pm and then retreat to their each individual atomized teepees, complete with a driveway to park their bison, and each individually cook their own time-consuming acorn pancakes for the nuclear family on their own campfire ovens

lmao I’m remembering that one Reddit post that amounted to “in olden times how did people park their chariots”

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I forgot which thread was covering the fetish npc poo poo so I'm just posting it here
https://i.imgur.com/qc0VlTd.mp4

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1679993229863944193?t=XXIKxgC1lvCAA3DN_pTXCw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

GAMERS FTW! LETS loving GOOOOOO!