Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft, featuring an exciting investment opportunity!

I loving hate this. He's not going to Comic-Con because he loves comics, he's going there to relive childhood nostalgia that's just pure Batiuk wankery.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Wasn't this after Ryan broke up with Charlotte's sister? That part was always weird to me because of how Ryan dated a girl in her senior year in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

I do hope the detention storyline works in a few Breakfast Club references. Because how could you not?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Not understanding the action shots today... did Copper "Not Owned" Ma charge because he was expecting a bunt, and Planck lined it over his head?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Copper expected Planck to send the ball sailing to the spot/direction he dashed to, likely because of his earlier obsessive studying of Planck's signature hit and because he's super rattled. Planck has again owned the hell out of him by demonstrating a different hit. :haw:

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Doomykins posted:

Copper expected Planck to send the ball sailing to the spot/direction he dashed to, likely because of his earlier obsessive studying of Planck's signature hit and because he's super rattled. Planck has again owned the hell out of him by demonstrating a different hit. :haw:

OK... Copper broke towards short on the pitch because Planck always puts in the 5.5 hole, and this time he yanked it down the line, essentially?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-gwynn-credits-success-to-one-number-55-2007jul30-story.html

"A great deal of those hits went to a gap in the infield all too familiar to Gwynn -- that space between the third baseman and shortstop that has become recognized throughout baseball as “the 5.5 hole.”

Infield positions are assigned numbers for scorekeeping purposes, with the third baseman being 5 and the shortstop being 6."

EDIT: I was thinking Copper Butcher boy'd himself
https://www.mlb.com/video/folty-s-butcher-boy-single

EDIT EDIT:
The reason that worked was probably something called 'the wheel play'. Pitcher's up with the bases loaded, so they were looking bunt. Both the 3rd & 1st basemen charge when the batter shows bunt, so that they have it covered regardless of which line the batter puts it down. As the corner infielders break towards the plate, the middle infielders (Short and Second) run to cover 3rd and 1st respectively, so that you can try to turn 2 with a shorter throw (IE 3rd baseman picks up bunt, throws home, catcher now has his choice of the 90' throw to 3rd or 1st instead of the 130ish feet from home to second)

thisusedyet fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 14, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

amigolupus posted:

I loving hate this. He's not going to Comic-Con because he loves comics, he's going there to relive childhood nostalgia that's just pure Batiuk wankery.

Also, just buying a couple Comic-Con tickets on a whim a week before the event is definitely something you can do.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Powered Descent posted:

I do hope the detention storyline works in a few Breakfast Club references. Because how could you not?
Hopefully they didn't forget about it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Wasn't this after Ryan broke up with Charlotte's sister? That part was always weird to me because of how Ryan dated a girl in her senior year in high school.

The Scary-Go-Round era of the bobbinsverse canon is a bit hard to nail down these days what with multiple Bobbins reboots in different points in the timeline as well as the SGR and Bobbins archives being memory holed for various reasons (profit, shame, combination of the two), but I think so.

I seem to recall a disastrous Ryan Beckwith Special date around that point in the timeline that involved Hugo's dad's restaurant too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/29-31/51

Archie 9/25-27/47

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I love Savarna. :allears: What a Saiyan-rear end line.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

jesus christ how horrifying

davidspackage posted:

I love the classics!

this is how I originally read it while not paying attention, and I prefer either of our interpretations over the original

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Stuff.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
but why are they off limits? if you can just grab someone in the street and chow down, what's stopping the kids? is this another arcane detail of holbrook lore that i will regret asking about?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

"Go the gently caress home, Ghost!"* -Bandar dude
*(In the bandar tongue)

Mister Olympus posted:

but why are they off limits? if you can just grab someone in the street and chow down, what's stopping the kids? is this another arcane detail of holbrook lore that i will regret asking about?
Presumably age limits, considering every time I can remember that someone's tried to grab a kid to eat they've been cuffed for it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

#relateable

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/3-5/41

Sadly, I haven't been able to find out anything about those free cut-outs. Too bad they couldn't just print them in the paper like Brenda Starr did.

I want to believe that Stamm just sent kids empty envelopes as a joke (She's invisible, you see.)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mister Olympus posted:

i think the official hellworld rule is that you can't hunt anyone you know personally but....i mean, this is hellworld. it happens.

just never to the main characters.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So first, Allison posted the "cover" to Steeple 17 on the website today:

John Allison posted:

Here’s a cover designed to intrigue. Feel free to divine which of these disparate elements relate to the plot and which ones I put on there deliberately to confuse and mislead you. Because it’s a real grab bag of the irrelevant and relevant. The whole story will be up on my Patreon for $3-and-up subscribers on Monday. This one has turned out particularly well, maybe my favourite Steeple story so far.

Also regarding the content of this next Steeple story, Allison posted a second update yesterday;

John Allison posted:

[UPDATE UPDATE: for legal reasons, please use the term “generic cyber changers” in all correspondence.]

amigolupus posted:

This actually took place before. Going through my Scary-Go-Round books, this from the story "Chilton Takes Charge", which not only had Amy clean up Ryan's act, but also open her antique store "Bric-A-Brac". It also featured the first appearance of Dixon Lovelace, a rival antiques dealer who would return in the final Bad Machinery story. It's in the seventh Scary-Go-Round collection,Peloton

Finally, in Breaking Cat News:

Georgia Dunn posted:

Folks have been asking me to create a Patreon for years, especially online readers who have wanted a way to support the comic outside of newspapers. I finally put one together this week, and I would be humbly grateful if you would consider becoming a member of the BCN Patreon!

BCN will always be free to read everyday on GoComics, and in as many newspapers as we can get it into! This Patreon would showcase a lot of extras; sketches, peeks into future panels, paintings in progress, a monthly write up on specific characters, ways to vote for favorite characters or what the next calendar page should be… fun things like that!

I make most of my income through newspapers, along with book sales, and royalties from BCN merchandise. In recent years the newspaper industry can be a bit... well,... complicated. My monthly income can go up or down depending on newspapers picking up the comic, dropping the comic, or closing altogether. I love having 'Breaking Cat News' in newspapers! And... I have kids and bills to pay. I would like to create in a little buffer of stability into my income. I want to ensure I can keep writing BCN for many years to come, whatever life throws at me. And so, I created this Patreon in the hopes of giving BCN readers a way to directly support the comic wherever it is running in print. And to have a place for all of my BCN extras to land, where folks want a flood of sketches in one of their feeds. I created tiers as low as $1 a month and as high as $25, take a peek! You can find the Patreon at “breakingcatnews” on Patreon, or through the link in our bio above.

I hope you like what you see and are excited for a place to support the comic and get some extra BCN perks and insights! Thank you for any support you’d like to give BCN, whether it’s through the Patreon or buying our books or BCN merc, I could not do any of this without you! ❤️❤️❤️

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The_Other posted:

When Bad Machinery went from a webcomic to being published, Allison changed a few of the pages. Most of the times it was just minor layout stuff but sometimes he would do a whole scene differently. Here's the equivalent page from the original webcomic:

Note that in either case Mr Goater seems to have forgotten about the girls, in the original page Lottie has forgotten (or maybe never met) him as well.

I forget, did Mr. Goater have a family when the story started, or was it just not stated? My first reaction was huh, he seems to have more of a life than he did in the original story, or the newer version of the page.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (April 10-12, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (June 13-15, 1921)

Doc's Dippy Duck-Out

(October 29, 1914)

Little Lefty (October 31-November 2, 1938)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hostile V posted:

Local Dog Graduates

I'm having trouble seeing this as anything except a reference to George W Bush's "Mission Accomplished" banner although I'm hard-pressed to see what that could possibly mean in this context.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Jesus Christ how big was that watermelon

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm having trouble seeing this as anything except a reference to George W Bush's "Mission Accomplished" banner although I'm hard-pressed to see what that could possibly mean in this context.

Holbrook always has one idea and then no second thought, so it's probably exactly what you meant. No second thought.

Today's article on 1-900-HOTDOG is about terrible, bawdy, cheapo comic collection from the '60s about -- oh no -- prostitution. But I'm linking it because it has comics from Bill "the Lockhorns" Hoest and Bob "Moose and Molly" Weber Sr. (aka the dad of the Slylock Fox guy, and I think art assistant on the early run?)

https://1900hotdog.com/2023/07/loving-day-come-on-a-my-house-%f0%9f%8c%ad/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

LvK posted:

Holbrook always has one idea and then no second thought, so it's probably exactly what you meant. No second thought.

Today's article on 1-900-HOTDOG is about terrible, bawdy, cheapo comic collection from the '60s about -- oh no -- prostitution. But I'm linking it because it has comics from Bill "the Lockhorns" Hoest and Bob "Moose and Molly" Weber Sr. (aka the dad of the Slylock Fox guy, and I think art assistant on the early run?)

https://1900hotdog.com/2023/07/loving-day-come-on-a-my-house-%f0%9f%8c%ad/

Oh hey, the article is by Seanbaby. I always liked his stuff in the early days of the Internet, glad to see he's still getting work.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

George uses the word "ovathan", which is a version of "ovat" (are/will be) with an added "looking-for-confirmation" or "wishful" aspect. Kind of like "surely this will be the case?" I tried "Surely my old pets will be there?" but it didn't quite feel right.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Powered Descent posted:

Oh hey, the article is by Seanbaby. I always liked his stuff in the early days of the Internet, glad to see he's still getting work.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he owns the site. He's done pretty well for himself.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

amigolupus posted:

and they broke up precisely because she was entering that exciting period in one's life involving getting drunk in a hedge, whilst Ryan was trying to move out of it, if I remember

realism!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Powered Descent posted:

Hippocrass posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure he owns the site. He's done pretty well for himself.

yeah, he's co-owner of the site, with Robert Brockway from Cracked. I may or may not have submitted Compu-Toon to them as the subject of last week's podcast episode.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mister Olympus posted:

Note that the teacher isn't teaching them to be more empathetic and see the other kids as more than just meals, just that they're "off limits".

It's funny how Holbrook really wanted to sell the idea that the Dewclaw family would be like a role model for co-existence between predator and prey species, then you get poo poo like this that shows nothing has improved, even the cases where Holbrook has supporting interspecies characters hook up together is only due to trickery or circumstance forcing them together.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 11, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 06, 1958)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 06, 1958)

There's truly nothing more heartwarming than the pure, innocent love between a man and his sword. :3:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/14/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 5/10-12/51

Smokey Stover 10/16/55

Everyday Movies 8/8/36

"He told me he was a Princeton man but I found out later that he learned to talk and act that way while he was at a C.C.C. camp."

The Civilian Conservation Corps was a New Deal program that gave the unemployed jobs in rural areas building roads, parks, bridges, and the like.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/6-8/41

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/6-8/41

She looks identical to your wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-QiLHdsNN8

This is just one of my favorite KITH bits.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

She called the cops and just drove off I guess. I suppose she didn't want to get in trouble for her vigilantism.

The Phantom

Phantom's still gonna die. Savarna's gonna still hear about his son. Nothing has changed. The end, no moral.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Happy one monthiversary to this!