Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Fish Appreciator posted:

This game will punish you for trying, even slightly, to min-max anything. That's why I just wear whatever armor that I think looks cool, which happens to be Zonaite helmet, leggings, and the archaic tunic.

Yes, I do frequently get killed in two hits. No, I don't know where to find Construct Captain Mark I horns.

Late game there are a couple hanging out on an islet back of the shrine in the cold area of the main skyland and 1 or 2 in the Rising Island chain up to the sky ark.

Jerusalem posted:

Back to looking over my map again I guess then!

Oh woe is me to be thrown into the briar patch....

Top search tip: go into a sandstorm, if you've still got them. You can spot orange-centred shrines more easily, and flip between surface and depths to see where you've got a lightroot but not a matching shrine.

Steve Yun posted:

It’s not a fur suit. Hes not furry. He’s a lizard. I’m not a furry.

Sorry, but that's not a lizard tail...

(I do like how the outfit's 3 parts are boar/owl/dragon though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The reward for getting all the shrines rules, sorry haters

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Steve Yun posted:

It’s not a fur suit. Hes not furry. He’s a lizard. I’m not a furry.

You're a scaly, then.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Who is the ruler of boars anyway. I assumed the ruler of dragons was Rauru and the ruler of owls was Minnie, but I don't know that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Who is the ruler of boars anyway. I assumed the ruler of dragons was Rauru and the ruler of owls was Minnie, but I don't know that

Before betrayal, Gannondorf as a productive sage on Rauru's council.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

"Well, he did kill my wife, but I have to say I was very impressed by his fiscal policy"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Docjowles posted:

The journey was still fun even if the payoff was poo poo.

Very tempting new thread title.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think the ruler of borz is the light dragon

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Rauru's pectoral and Mineru's forehead thingy both look pretty owly to me.

Ed though after careful examination of the loincloth (ahem) dragon and owl are alike enough to make it hard to figure out. I think middle one is owl and matches Min, and top one is dragon with the eyelashes and matches Rauru.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 14, 2023

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I would really love a complete revamp to the armor system. I wish special skills like being able to swim up waterfalls and such were conferred by trinkets/amulets/rings/whatever and armor just had passives related to combat. I also really wish there was a quick swap between armor sets. In the current system there's just too much junk and it's too tedious to upgrade so I just wear my highest level armor all the time and put one piece on of whatever biome-resistant armor I need at the time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The last few Ys games did the whole material economy better to the point that VIII was an action RPG with no money, as it took place on a desert island. You could exchange low-level materials for high, and vice-versa, which makes the system in these two games look amateurish.

One thing I'd add is an auto-pickup toggle.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Finished the fire temple and now I have them all complete.

Felt like the fire temple was the one you're really supposed to break over your knee. Sure you can do mine cart madness but why? You can do ascend/wind power shenanigans instead. Yunobo even rewarded me with a such a huge fist bump Jack Garland himself would nod at in approval.

Did the Hyrule castle part too and that was fun. Bonus heart container was unexpected! Got the destroy ganondorf quest now. I'm only at 115 shrines so I got work to do before I end this

Goty easy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The last few Ys games did the whole material economy better to the point that VIII was an action RPG with no money, as it took place on a desert island. You could exchange low-level materials for high, and vice-versa, which makes the system in these two games look amateurish.

One thing I'd add is an auto-pickup toggle.

God Ys 8 and 9 were loving awesome games. Perfect progression.

There's a lot of changes needed for the armor systems in BOTW and TOTK but if I could only do one small thing, I'd add an "equip set" option for selecting a piece of a set you've completed. That or making the armor window three-wide instead of five-wide, it drives me crazy when I'm looking for a set and it's halfway between two rows. It'd need some kind of thought for incomplete sets, but it'd be nice for now when I've got all 135 (!) pieces

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mustached Demon posted:

Finished the fire temple and now I have them all complete.

Felt like the fire temple was the one you're really supposed to break over your knee. Sure you can do mine cart madness but why? You can do ascend/wind power shenanigans instead. Yunobo even rewarded me with a such a huge fist bump Jack Garland himself would nod at in approval.

Did the Hyrule castle part too and that was fun. Bonus heart container was unexpected! Got the destroy ganondorf quest now. I'm only at 115 shrines so I got work to do before I end this

Goty easy.

Just finished up your second spoiler myself and yeah that was a blast, beating the poo poo out of Ganondorf's servant(s) and then having the Sages show up to have Link's back when Ganondorf tried to finish things off was great. Also in the aftermath the other characters FINALLY realized that they only have 5 of the Sages accounted for, thank gently caress!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Just finished up your second spoiler myself and yeah that was a blast, beating the poo poo out of Ganondorf's servant(s) and then having the Sages show up to have Link's back when Ganondorf tried to finish things off was great. Also in the aftermath the other characters FINALLY realized that they only have 5 of the Sages accounted for, thank gently caress!

I stumbled on the last sage just out exploring. So they were like wow link you rule.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

For anyone else who also did that part early unintentionally it unlocks a short quest chain starting in Kakariko village that you might want to check out before doing the final story quest.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
From what I've read, there's a great touch for the main quest at Hyrule Castle that got lost in localization:

Apparently in Japanese Link uses the Adventure Log as a diary (iirc this was the case in BotW as well) and his entry for "Find Princess Zelda" indicates he wants to see her smile again. The fake Zelda gives him a mocking smirk before she reveals her true nature.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Me walking into the shrine and realizing I’m nude:

“Oh hell yeah an Eventide shrine time to show off my skills as a true gamer. I don’t need my 100 heart meals or my 170 attack power sword.”

I carefully look around the room and analyze the robot patrol paths, plan my use of Ascend, Fuse, Ultrahand, and Sneakstrikes to perfectly accomplish the shrine objective.

*exactly 2 seconds later*

Ah poo poo I’ve been detected time to kill everything with a wooden stick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Harriet Carker posted:

I would really love a complete revamp to the armor system. I wish special skills like being able to swim up waterfalls and such were conferred by trinkets/amulets/rings/whatever and armor just had passives related to combat. I also really wish there was a quick swap between armor sets. In the current system there's just too much junk and it's too tedious to upgrade so I just wear my highest level armor all the time and put one piece on of whatever biome-resistant armor I need at the time.

While the armor system is clunky, I do like that they let you mix and match pieces. Any other game would just have them all be one piece, you equip flame proof armor, mining armor, or whatever. I do wish they would add an option when you go to equip to have an equip button and then an "equip entire set" button.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

space uncle posted:

Me walking into the shrine and realizing I’m nude:

“Oh hell yeah an Eventide shrine time to show off my skills as a true gamer. I don’t need my 100 heart meals or my 170 attack power sword.”

I carefully look around the room and analyze the robot patrol paths, plan my use of Ascend, Fuse, Ultrahand, and Sneakstrikes to perfectly accomplish the shrine objective.

*exactly 2 seconds later*

Ah poo poo I’ve been detected time to kill everything with a wooden stick.

The real prize is their friends we killed using their own parts along the way.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Harriet Carker posted:

You should be able to fuse the armors

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Armors should let you get the set bonus by mixing and matching sets with the same individual part or set bonus

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Some of the shrines just don't really feel like they were play tested to me. The Shrine with the 3 balls you roll in a curve is one, another is the traps shrine I just did (Otak). It's called "traps" but the traps are extremely cumbersome and do time consuming to activate. I tried it a few times trying to utilize traps before I just said gently caress it and fought everything head on. Then I went online to see how people actually use the traps...only for both the videos I watched to ignore the traps and just fight everything.

Don't get me wrong the game is great and I'm enjoying it. Some parts of it though make me question who tested it though

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm trying to upgrade another elemental set, this time rubber. Any tips on gathering yellow chuchu jelly? I know they spawn in the desert, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to where, and they don't show up on Sensor+ until they pop out of the ground, at which point you're pretty much on top of them already anyway.

Also the electric lizalfos tails. Those fuckers are easier to find, but they never drop the tails, they only ever drop their horns! How do I make them drop tails???

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
same as botw, it's easiest to get normal chuchu jelly and swing an electric rod over it

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

loquacius posted:

I'm trying to upgrade another elemental set, this time rubber. Any tips on gathering yellow chuchu jelly? I know they spawn in the desert, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to where, and they don't show up on Sensor+ until they pop out of the ground, at which point you're pretty much on top of them already anyway.

Also the electric lizalfos tails. Those fuckers are easier to find, but they never drop the tails, they only ever drop their horns! How do I make them drop tails???

The lizalfos tails are pretty difficult but you can turn any ol’ Chuchu Jelly into any element you want by subjecting it to that very same element.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Huh. Yeah that makes sense, thanks :tipshat:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

loquacius posted:

Allegedly, using weapons with the word "sword" in the name on the tail itself (such as a Sneakstrike, but anything will work as long as it's attacking the back) increase Lizalfos tail drops. Presumably you need something sufficiently sharp to chop it off cleanly

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MokBa posted:

The lizalfos tails are pretty difficult but you can turn any ol’ Chuchu Jelly into any element you want by subjecting it to that very same element.

:stare:

Huh never knew that, cheers

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

So, like, what does the Horned Statue god do with the profit he makes whenever I tamper with my essence? The bargainers tell us upfront what the poes are for, but I don't see a lot of shops where the horned god is holed up. Maybe he gives the rupees to Jerrin to buy him snacks.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Coxswain Balls posted:

So, like, what does the Horned Statue god do with the profit he makes whenever I tamper with my essence? The bargainers tell us upfront what the poes are for, but I don't see a lot of shops where the horned god is holed up. Maybe he gives the rupees to Jerrin to buy him snacks.
in minish cap they explained that rupees are inherently slightly magical, and in botw the great fairies need rupees to replenish their energy. so, presumably, he just feeds off of it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Coxswain Balls posted:

invests in crypto like everyone else

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

in minish cap they explained that rupees are inherently slightly magical, and in botw the great fairies need rupees to replenish their energy. so, presumably, he just feeds off of it.

This lore is more deeply explored in... ugh... Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Asterite34 posted:

Allegedly, using weapons with the word "sword" in the name on the tail itself (such as a Sneakstrike, but anything will work as long as it's attacking the back) increase Lizalfos tail drops. Presumably you need something sufficiently sharp to chop it off cleanly

Is this real or is this from somebody's uncle who works at Nintendo? Lol if true

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So is tingle sucking down rupees like Kolton was for those gems

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Asterite34 posted:

prove it

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

So is tingle sucking down rupees like Kolton was for those gems

As hilarious as I find the image of Tingle doing the equivalent of eating pennies all day, it's actually way more hosed up than that

It turns out "being Tingle" is a horrible curse inflicted on people by a Mammon-esque demon of greed named Uncle Rupee who enslaves poor dupes into empowering him by giving him Rupees in exchange for one day granting them entry into the paradise of "Rupeeland" (actually a horrifying Hell)

e:

Poque posted:

Is this real or is this from somebody's uncle who works at Nintendo? Lol if true

I admit I'm mostly going off Reddit posts here, any evidence I might offer is anecdotal at best. It MIGHT work, but any excess tail spawns I've gotten might just be coincidence :shrug:

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 15, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I didn't think I would get all the shrines but the game is just so fun. Very easy to pick it up and do some exploring. Next thing you know, you got your fur suit in hand.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tunicate posted:

Armors should let you get the set bonus by mixing and matching sets with the same individual part or set bonus

Armor should just give you a permanent buff, that way you unlock a dope cosmetic and attribute that it comes with but you aren't forced to use any one set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I just tried it and it worked 1 out of 1 times so in conclusion yes 100% success rate

e: 2 / 2 times, it's pure scientific fact now

loquacius fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 15, 2023