Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

that looks nice, just would be worried it wouldnt take as much abuse since its plastic. I abused the absolute poo poo out of that harbor freight cart and it held up hell of a lot better then I expected

it's rated for 300lb, and while all the stuff i use mine for are on the smaller side, it does get almost daily use with no problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The older I get the more I see the value in containers and dollys and such. I recommend I'd anyone is on the fence about getting a collapseable crate to do it. Bring in the Costco run in less trips, flatten it for storage also I like the bases, they are pointy so they don't slide around while I drive.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wesleywillis posted:

Posting this in the HCH tools thread as well.

For those of you who might be looking, Tekton has 20% off sale on ratcheting wrenches right now until some time in July I think.

Also the email I got mentioned that there will be some discontinued sets going on clearance in the not too distant future.

https://www.tekton.com/wrenches/ratcheting-wrenches

Just a reminder for y'all MFs.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Was searching eBay for a cheap M18 drill and...what in the sam hill?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334822572737

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Duh!
Its a drill with small air compressor attached that powers a few horns!!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've kinda wished I got into Milwaukee tools. Now I really wish I had.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

opengl posted:

Was searching eBay for a cheap M18 drill and...what in the sam hill?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334822572737

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1DsB7QjvLw

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
If you have a busted power tool it'd cost you $30 to make your own. I've thought about getting a cheap Ryobi drill to hack up.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Anyone have a recommendation for a semi cheap A/C manifold/gauge setup? I had a super cheap auto parts store one that I loved but it’s broken beyond repair and I’m loathe to buy the same quality. It’ll get light use, mostly vehicles.

Thanks y’all

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

namlosh posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a semi cheap A/C manifold/gauge setup? I had a super cheap auto parts store one that I loved but it’s broken beyond repair and I’m loathe to buy the same quality. It’ll get light use, mostly vehicles.

Thanks y’all

I used to have good luck at the used tool places finding something like a lightly used basic model Yellow Jacket or similar for about what the harbor freight version would cost. If you have something like that locally take a look.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Motronic posted:

I used to have good luck at the used tool places finding something like a lightly used basic model Yellow Jacket or similar for about what the harbor freight version would cost. If you have something like that locally take a look.

Thx for the reply. I’d love to do this, but I wouldn’t know how to find a used tool place… I’m in Houston so we’re big enough to have one… I should look around for it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

namlosh posted:

Thx for the reply. I’d love to do this, but I wouldn’t know how to find a used tool place… I’m in Houston so we’re big enough to have one… I should look around for it

One of the chains is called ReTool but unfortunately the only one in Texas is in Lubbock so that's no help at all for you. Might be some other ones maybe....worth some googling time just in case.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

There is no middle ground for air conditioning gauge sets.

You are either dropping several hundo for a quality set or sub 100 and rolling the dice on cheap garbage.

It really depends if you consider it a disposable tool or not.

The quality sets have parts available and can be rebuilt or repaired. The cheaper ones cannot.

As far as the high end stuff goes, JB industries seems to me to be on the lower end of expensive. I know a lot of people in commercial hvac who use them.

MRC48B fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 2, 2023

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

MRC48B posted:

There is no middle ground for air conditioning gauge sets.

You are either dropping several hundo for a quality set or sub 100 and rolling the dice on cheap garbage.

It really depends if you consider it a disposable tool or not.

The quality sets have parts available and can be rebuilt or repaired. The cheaper ones cannot.

As far as the high end stuff goes, JB industries seems to me to be on the lower end of expensive. I know a lot of people in commercial hvac who use them.

I was hoping that wasn’t the case, but here we are.

Thanks!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

namlosh posted:

Trader's Village is where I look for used tools. NW side, only open on weekends.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Because the internet is a nightmare to search anymore with my results coming back as loving VIDEOS and not SLIDESHOWS like I want, does anyone have a good plan for a folding sawhorse?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Here have both

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

HUH I did not expect to see the same blue haired woman from the one video I did watch before I got frustrated. Thanks! As per usual I'll probably watch and look at a bunch and design my own based on my perceived design faults in these.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

StormDrain posted:

Because the internet is a nightmare to search anymore with my results coming back as loving VIDEOS and not SLIDESHOWS like I want, does anyone have a good plan for a folding sawhorse?

My favorite folding sawhorses are the super simple plywood and a piano hinge version. One side is a little taller than the other to make the wear surface, chain to keep the legs spaced.

https://ibuildit.ca/projects/make-folding-saw-horses/
I've got versions of this made out of OSB that have been surviving for years and years, some are even single-panel sides instead of the lapped together thing he's doing. Optionally can make a folding shelf to keep the legs spaced instead of chain.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 4, 2023

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

PhotoKirk posted:

Trader's Village is where I look for used tools. NW side, only open on weekends.

Holy crap I forgot about it but you’re absolutely right. Thx

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
My laser guy called. An hour later (after looking at soooo many laser rust cleaning videos) I have a confirmed order for a laser cleaning head. My rationale is the amount of time it's gonna take me to clean the rust off the 3 Samurai's, it'll pay for itself! I already have the fiber laser and chiller, so why not :byoscience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNnZ_8x6rFs

e: not that model, but that channel has some good laser cleaning compilations!

fins fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 6, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
One of these things, kinda surprised they still make them, but surprised in a good way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

fins posted:

My laser guy called. An hour later (after looking at soooo many laser rust cleaning videos) I have a confirmed order for a laser cleaning head. My rationale is the amount of time it's gonna take me to clean the rust off the 3 Samurai's, it'll pay for itself! I already have the fiber laser and chiller, so why not :byoscience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNnZ_8x6rFs

e: not that model, but that channel has some good laser cleaning compilations!

Do you mind sharing model and $$?

I'm interested.

e: I see you are in the Caribbean. Do you mind if I ask where? We have family in Saba.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

slidebite posted:

Do you mind sharing model and $$?

I'm interested.

e: I see you are in the Caribbean. Do you mind if I ask where? We have family in Saba.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126001558158

Got it a bit cheaper that that. I'm in Grenada

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It doesn't seem like that long ago those things were $250k.

I look forward to dread the day there's a Powerfist model for $400.

I've got a lot of rust to deal with right now.

In other news:

These jacky boys obviously have a little more mileage on them, but they're still strong and free is free.

They are considerably heavier than the last one. I don't see where the weight is coming from but holy hell were they a struggle to get out of the truck.

I'm going to permanently convert one into a transmission jack. The rougher one i was thinking would strip right down and rebuilt, and find the cheapest source for each seal and such and triple up to rebuild the other 2 eventually.

The long reach is amazing. I can get onto the Lincoln's pumpkin or front cross member from basically any angle. I could probably reach the AE86's driver's side frame rail from the passenger side.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

It doesn't seem like that long ago those things were $250k.

Yeah, exactly that.

fins posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126001558158

Got it a bit cheaper that that. I'm in Grenada

Please please please give us a report on how this works. Those of use who work on old junk in the northeast US salt belt are counting on you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That is insanely cheap for a 3kW laser unit, even without the head.

Please be careful with it, infrared specular reflections can nuke your vision before you realize it, and it only takes once. ALWAYS wear your tight fitting safety glasses that are designed to reject that wavelength and any harmonics of it that may be created by any of the optics or crystals in the laser, though I doubt there are any on an IR unit like that.

That is also not allowed in the same driveway as any of my trucks as I would like to still have something left to drive after, thanks.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

kastein posted:

That is insanely cheap for a 3kW laser unit, even without the head.

Please be careful with it, infrared specular reflections can nuke your vision before you realize it, and it only takes once. ALWAYS wear your tight fitting safety glasses that are designed to reject that wavelength and any harmonics of it that may be created by any of the optics or crystals in the laser, though I doubt there are any on an IR unit like that.

That is also not allowed in the same driveway as any of my trucks as I would like to still have something left to drive after, thanks.

That's the price for just the head and control board; I already have a laser and chiller. The laser was an ebay snipe at an absurdly low price (10% of MSRP). The safety glasses I have are OD8 in the 1080nm range (and more importantly, not from amazon!)

Trip report will follow in 6-8 weeks, depending on how long it takes to get 3 phase hooked up

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Ahhh that makes more sense.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

New house came with a fairly substantial (2" thick oak) workbench in the garage but no vise

Looking on craigslist seems like 8" Wilton is popular

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=vise#search=1~grid~0~66

Last vise was a $60 5" harbor freight thing, which wasn't bad but modifying a go kart torque converter I was already reaching it's limits. I'm planning on partially rebuilding a full size cast iron engine this fall and that probably other things later

I'm not opposed to having more than one vise, seems like a 3-4" vise is useful for smaller projects like shaping 1/8" plate with a grinder

I tend to want to pull things apart by putting it over the vise and then open the vise. This worked fine on my dad's vise but I quickly blew out some retaining pin on my harbor freight vise trying to correct some warp after welding one day

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hadlock posted:

New house came with a fairly substantial (2" thick oak) workbench in the garage but no vise

Last vise was a $60 5" harbor freight thing, which wasn't bad but modifying a go kart torque converter I was already reaching it's limits. I'm planning on partially rebuilding a full size cast iron engine this fall and that probably other things later

I'm not opposed to having more than one vise, seems like a 3-4" vise is useful for smaller projects like shaping 1/8" plate with a grinder

I tend to want to pull things apart by putting it over the vise and then open the vise. This worked fine on my dad's vise but I quickly blew out some retaining pin on my harbor freight vise trying to correct some warp after welding one day

You better be rebuilding that Buick 8 to go in to a period correct boat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

More likely that '48 rolls royce chassis. I already have a boat

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hadlock posted:

Wilton is very popular, to the point that it's driven out of realistic pricing.

Pre-covid, vise prices were generally right at $1/pound. That Wilton is 66 pounds. Double the pre-covid price, then double for the Wilton name and you're still around $270.

There were a LOT of vise manufacturers in the early 1900s, and those damned things are huge, heavy, and build like tanks. I had a Reed 6" vise that was made in 1919 and weighed 130 pounds. I sold that for $350 post-covid.

Just a data point to help you with your search. Old vises are super cool, get you one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Certain rare ones are worth stupid money too. Like really stupid if you get into it. One of my friends is into this stuff and was telling me there are rare vises worth literal thousands of dollars. Just because they're a rare option or something.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Goddamn collectors for everything. That's absurd. Rare doesn't make something desirable automatically.

I think there's an old thread on garage journal with info on old vises and brands to look for. I found an old Record that's small but was like 40 bucks a few years back. Can't speak to post COVID pricing.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I'm looking for a line bore tool for doing cam journals on (small) aluminum heads. Any suggestions? I think the smallest is 28 mm.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I bought a bundle of hammers and axes. Some of the interesting stuff, at least the ones that the pictures didn't come out as a blur.

I got 2 14 pound post pounders, each of a slightly different design, 8lb sledge for scale. One has a giant void in the casting, is there an easy way to fill this?

Not sure what's going on here, it looks like it's just a poking stick but the handle is filled with lead.

A couple crudely forged pickaxes and hoe picks..

An only slightly rusty vintage Hults Bruk axe.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anyone have opinions on wheel dollies? Something like these: https://www.harborfreight.com/1300-lb-capacity-self-loading-positioning-wheel-dolly-64601.html

There are a lot of brands of varying price out there and any input is welcome

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Anyone have opinions on wheel dollies? Something like these: https://www.harborfreight.com/1300-lb-capacity-self-loading-positioning-wheel-dolly-64601.html

There are a lot of brands of varying price out there and any input is welcome

My dad has a couple sets of the cheap kind that's just a thick metal plate with a shallow V to hold the tire and a caster at each corner, you need to lift a wheel to get the dolly under it. You need a fairly clean floor to roll things around on but if you're on cement and don't mind spending a few minutes sweeping even those cheap ones worked great. He doesn't even use his for cars as much anymore, he's got an engine/transmission sitting on a pair of them, a rock box for the back of one of his tractors sitting on another. They're just really handy for keeping something very heavy mobile.

Last time I was visiting him I was helping put the body of an old car back on the chassis, and it was very helpful to have one of those dollys under each wheel of the chassis to get it in exactly the right position with a minimum of effort.

I think the kind you linked are better for actually moving cars around (you don't need to jack up the wheel and you can remove it easily when you're done), but the cheaper kind that's just a plate with casters are useful for more than just cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve got an exterior garage large enough for two garage doors but it only has one, so parking two vehicles in it means I need to get creative, hence the question about dollies. I’ve looked at the plate-style caster dollies, but having to jack the car up to use them kind of makes it a no-go. With the self loading style I can move a car then drop it back onto its tires and use the dollies on something else if I need to