Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Soggy Muffin posted:

Even the libs will be demanding a wall when the climate refugees start pouring in.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/07/us/texas-marine-floating-barrier-migrants/index.html

Just ask them what they think about this buoy wall with knives on it. It's designed to drown people. The Biden admin is perfectly fine with it and continues to build the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

A Bad King posted:

easy solution, just throw ice into the river. why do i have to fix everything.

Use the power output to refrigerate the intake water to cool the reactors.

... No, I don't know where the waste heat from the refrigeration will go, stop asking.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Failson posted:

Use the power output to refrigerate the intake water to cool the reactors.

... No, I don't know where the waste heat from the refrigeration will go, stop asking.

no, take the ice from the alps. there's so much ice up there. just dump it all down on the river! bring a glacier down. use displaced migrants from north africa to do it, if you want it done cheap.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Harold Fjord posted:

Is this they can't do it or is this they can't do it withoit killing all the fish that are going to die anywa

Is it a thermodynamic issue or a regulatory one

According to this it's a regulatory cap, but rather than for protecting fish it's to provide a safety buffer for when your cooling water isn't cool enough to adequately protect against a meltdown.

https://www.budapesttimes.hu/hungary/paks-nuclear-plant-reduces-output-due-to-high-danube-temperature/

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
shooting a high intensity IR laser into space wouldn't work because it would dissipate most of its energy just into the atmosphere. you'd have to get the energy to power the laser up near space first somehow, maybe with a huge fleet of balloons. too bad americans hate balloons

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Fell Mood posted:

I used to be a degrowther. Then I discovered ULTIMATE MALE ENHANCEMENT. Talk to your doctor today!

I'm a degrower, not a shower. :eng99:

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

100% renewable coal, incredible

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
lmao. when do we get the new Captain Planet team member, Incredible Violence, and when do his powers go into full effect?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
showing people my "why you should do way more drugs, not less" book at my intervention

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Smekerman posted:

lmao. when do we get the new Captain Planet team member, Incredible Violence, and when do his powers go into full effect?

something rhyming with smekerded eshmershinashins is a good band name for our current zeitgeist.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

my bottom line :gonk:

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Stereotype posted:

shooting a high intensity IR laser into space wouldn't work because it would dissipate most of its energy just into the atmosphere. you'd have to get the energy to power the laser up near space first somehow, maybe with a huge fleet of balloons. too bad americans hate balloons

What if we put the lasers in orbit and fire them at the Earth? I think the public would support it

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

they think it is funny when people die

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quiggy posted:

my bottom line :gonk:

I'm sorry. Your bottom line has been sabotaged by formidable attacks

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Dehumidise and face to heatdead

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1679927499352883206

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mama mia that'sa spicya meataballa

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

feels like something something faster and sooner than expected but surely that can't be right?

f/e: oh hey an av! many blessings upon your moustache whomever that was

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Should've been some bros rolling coal

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The IPCC got this pretty spot on in their Global Warming of 1.5 ºC report (SR15) in 2018: https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/

quote:

In the 2020s, internal climate variability leads to higher warming than projected, in a reverse development to what happened in the so-called ‘hiatus’ period of the 2000s. Temperatures are regularly above 1.5°C of warming, although
radiative forcing is consistent with a warming of 1.2°C or 1.3°C. Deadly heatwaves in major cities (Chicago, Kolkata, Beijing, Karachi, São Paulo), droughts in southern Europe, southern Africa and the Amazon region, and major flooding in Asia, all
intensified by the global and regional warming (Chapter 3, Sections 3.3.1, 3.3.2, 3.3.3, 3.3.4 and 3.4.8; Cross-Chapter Box 11 in Chapter 4), lead to increasing levels of public unrest and political destabilization (Chapter 5, Section 5.2.1). An
emergency global summit in 2025 moves to much more ambitious climate targets. Costs for rapidly phasing out fossil fuel use and infrastructure, while rapidly expanding renewables to reduce emissions, are much higher than in Scenario 1, owing to a failure to
support economic measures to drive the transition (Chapter 4). Disruptive technologies become crucial to face up to the adaptation measures needed (Chapter 4, Section 4.4.4).

Maybe getting the specific regions wrong, but the overall effect is spot on. we're not experiencing something that proves climate science is woefully optimistic, it is proving that popular and political understanding of the climate science is purposefully wrong.

the science is right, which is why all the scientists are flabbergasted no one is listening, but because part of the capitulation to capitalism that allowed western scientific academia to thrive involved throwing science communication and most importantly political science communication out. so we have now generation of good scientists who at best don't know how to effectively communicate, let alone politically, or worse actively think it is unethical for them to attempt to use their findings to make the world a better place outside of marketization.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

the bbc told me today that dogs and tropical fish tanks are what is killing the planet

This is actually why I keep a saltwater tank. Doing my part!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe getting the specific regions wrong, but the overall effect is spot on. we're not experiencing something that proves climate science is woefully optimistic, it is proving that popular and political understanding of the climate science is purposefully wrong.

Cormac McCarthy's The Road was pretty optimistic when you think about it

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Stereotype posted:

-every fascist ever

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lol, lmao

That title is not even wrong

:rubby:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

err posted:

im halfway through parable of the sower and its a pretty good climate change book. walls around LA suburbs, people using freeways as sidewalks, and slaves working in desalination plants

Parable of the Sowers a good book. I'd leave the parable of the talents. Its more post post apocalypse with an undeserved happy ending.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Cormac McCarthy's The Road was pretty optimistic when you think about it

BBQ baby back ribs

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hubbert posted:

I'm a degrower, not a shower. :eng99:

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

BCR posted:

Parable of the Sowers a good book. I'd leave the parable of the talents. Its more post post apocalypse with an undeserved happy ending.

i didn't really get it until a reread but i think Talents is crucial because it shows you can't actually escape. at the end of the first book all she did was recreate the walls her father had around his suburban development (she just put distance between herself and the problem. you have to deal with the problem head on.

and while on my first read i thought the religion stuff was a strange turn, it was a way to advocate for organization and agitation without being explicit about her politics.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Stereotype posted:

not if you shoot it through the infrared window

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

The IPCC got this pretty spot on in their Global Warming of 1.5 ºC report (SR15) in 2018: https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/

the science is right, which is why all the scientists are flabbergasted no one is listening, but because part of the capitulation to capitalism that allowed western scientific academia to thrive involved throwing science communication and most importantly political science communication out. so we have now generation of good scientists who at best don't know how to effectively communicate, let alone politically, or worse actively think it is unethical for them to attempt to use their findings to make the world a better place outside of marketization.

the kids these days call this bringing receipts

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Receipts are carcinogenic, please do not bring them

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
a DOOM house???

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Sunny Side Up posted:

i didn't really get it until a reread but i think Talents is crucial because it shows you can't actually escape. at the end of the first book all she did was recreate the walls her father had around his suburban development (she just put distance between herself and the problem. you have to deal with the problem head on.

and while on my first read i thought the religion stuff was a strange turn, it was a way to advocate for organization and agitation without being explicit about her politics.

Something I hadn't thought of. Hammers in the children following in their fathers footsteps then.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Just a Moron posted:

Receipts are carcinogenic, please do not bring them

ya, receipt paper is covered in BFA and BFS

do not touch

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I once smoked a cigarette handrolled in receipt paper, that's what's going to kill me one day.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Just a Moron posted:

I once smoked a cigarette handrolled in receipt paper, that's what's going to kill me one day.

Nah, the heat and water problems will.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

hahaha we're dead

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KGordonGlobalBC/status/1680011547022888960?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
the end of the world is really producing some beautiful images

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
doomers, please note that pfas-laden thermal receipt paper is a SOLVED problem: thermal receipt paper manufactured with vitamin c in place of phenols is already a commercially available product.
EVERYTHING is just like the ozone hole. vis., basically already fixed; don't worry about it; etc.
none of that, then.