Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I also don't think they're that outdated either, I've done a bit of it to level Machinist last week.

It's just, again, the meta is 51-60, so that's like the only thing anyone queues for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Szarrukin posted:

So all these guides "PotD are the best for leveling alt jobs" are bullshit?
It's not the best but it is an alternative, particularly for DPS jobs that had to wait much longer for roulette and dungeon queues. With Duty Support dungeons in the game now I'd probably do that over PotD if I were still leveling DPS jobs.

As Kyrosiris said, the queues for 51-60 are usually fast because that's where people can start from after clearing floor 50. Queues for the floors leading up to 50 have very few players.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's based on the women's version of the haka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzg4rJJNX30

I will agree that the contrast with the men's sundrop feels weird when you first see it, I had a similar reaction, but yeah that's the reason.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
On pulls, pop sprint immediately use ranged gcd tab provoke tab ranged gcd tab ranged gcd on the 4th if present.

AoE is only used if there are 5+ mobs in the first pack which is relatively rare. Big ARR pulls are just tab toss tab toss.

The increased threat on the ranged attack just glues everything to you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

a cartoon duck posted:

hating the female version of the sun drop dance means you love imperialism. i didn't make the rules but that's what they are

Bruceski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzg4rJJNX30

I will agree that the contrast with the men's sundrop feels weird when you first see it, I had a similar reaction, but yeah that's the reason.
Maybe it's just that the version of the animation we got is so lifeless compared to the male version. Though that's kind of the nature of XIV emotes. There's not really any way to translate that level of intensity to an emote that can be used by either a lalafell or a femroe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Maybe it's just that the version of the animation we got is so lifeless compared to the male version. Though that's kind of the nature of XIV emotes. There's not really any way to translate that level of intensity to an emote that can be used by either a lalafell or a femroe.

That was what I pinged on, yeah. The male one has the crouching pose which inherently conveys a lot of energy. When standing the lack of effort they did (or could do) to support that feeling stands out.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so, started playing again in the past couple weeks. Finished SHB, now i'm going through patch quests, and i'm sittin on the balcony in Eulmore and watching these Seat Of Sacrifice guides, and, uh, man this is where poo poo gets real huh

I'm studying but man this is a lot more mechanics in one fight than im used to

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
never look up mechanics for story content. it's not built for it. it's built for jumping in blind and you're probably getting guides to the harder version of the fight anyway

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
As a Sprout, I loved being blindsided by weird mechanics, and now that I'm 1.5 years in I love watching sprouts eat poo poo to unfamiliar mechanics. It's what they're for.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

YggiDee posted:

As a Sprout, I loved being blindsided by weird mechanics, and now that I'm 1.5 years in I love watching sprouts eat poo poo to unfamiliar mechanics. It's what they're for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Or, in the immortal words of JoCat

"Oh, BTW, get ready for a party wipe."
"Wha-"
"Congratulations. You're now better at this game than you were five minutes ago."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I dunno, I just got out of a group that had two wipes on the level 87 final boss and I think I might be dumber than when I started

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I dunno, I just got out of a group that had two wipes on the level 87 final boss and I think I might be dumber than when I started

i was gonna ask how in the gently caress but then i started getting ptsd flashbacks of half the party going down to gales(2) in the latest trial and lmao

also tossing another two cents into the hat to say going in blind is the best but some people just feel (or actually have) the need to study so you do you :shrug:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oneiros posted:

i was gonna ask how in the gently caress but then i started getting ptsd flashbacks of half the party going down to gales(2) in the latest trial and lmao

The answer is one newbie, three vets who don't remember the boss that well, and the dismal DPS you would expect from a DNC (newbie) who dance partnered the tank

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

87 is an outlier because anyone who doesn’t do that one first time with Duty Support deserves a wedgie. (See also: 89 Trial)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

87 is an outlier because anyone who doesn’t do that one first time with Duty Support deserves a wedgie. (See also: 89 Trial)

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Since guides cover every possible angle of a fight, they will often look a lot scarier than the fights actually end up as. You won't always see every mechanic during a run and in addition to that you'll then have mechanics that might only affect the tank and so on.
I also liked to be prepared for trials, but eventually stopped doing it because I'd just get more anxious about anticipating the in my mind crucial mechanics that I'd gently caress up other parts of the fight.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

their fight design language is pretty drat tight, especially after the recent work to back-port markers to older content where things used to be more... experimental?

in normal msq content, especially, you eventually build up a pretty good understanding of what they want you to do and they usually give you enough time for pure reaction play. sometimes they throw in pure 50/50 coinflip and gotcha mechanics but they usually don't kill you outright if you guess wrong.

with late shb and going in ew the big thing is that they start getting more comfortable throwing combo mechanics at you and using boss/environment tells instead of telegraphing everything thru the castbar name or piss puddles

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 14, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
A given boss fight will usually pull out a given mechanic three times. Sometimes only two, but this is usually down to strong DPS. But you can consider yourself to have done a good job your first time through the fight if you only take a given mechanic to the face twice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To anybody else well into Shadowbringers, I strongly recommend doing main story content blind.

At the very least, you'll avoid spoilers.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

As a Sprout, I loved being blindsided by weird mechanics, and now that I'm 8 years in I still love eating poo poo to familiar mechanics.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A standout bullshit mechanic is on Eden 4, wherein the boss starts charging up a move you haven't seen before and there's no indication that it's about to inflict a massive hit and lethal knockback on everyone who isn't standing beneath or right in front of it. I think I've seen that cause more wipes than anything else in duty roulette.

In general, though, anything without (Extreme), (Savage), or (Ultimate) in its name is built to be done blind, and bosses will generally demo their mechanics for you a couple times before they start mixing them up or introducing complications.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Everyone dying to the final boss of Stormblood's first mechanic was really funny.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i think the only time i've ever been actually unable to complete 'normal difficulty' content was day 1 mhach city. and that was on a patch which marked a historical low for player competence relative to job complexity, as well as playerbase engagement in general, combined with what were a bunch of new experimental mechanics at the time and people who didn't really remember what alliance raids were like because alliance roulette didn't exist then and crystal tower took literal hours to queue for because there was no incentive to run some parts of old content.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
All right, you've built my confidence up. Thanks all. Gonna wail on this poo poo after work

Mister Olympus posted:

never look up mechanics for story content. it's not built for it. it's built for jumping in blind and you're probably getting guides to the harder version of the fight anyway

To be honest, the video i watched last night was at 60% and he said "ok and NOW the real fight starts" and i stopped it there, so there'll be a little bit of adventure in my attempt at least!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

All right, you've built my confidence up. Thanks all. Gonna wail on this poo poo after work

To be honest, the video i watched last night was at 60% and he said "ok and NOW the real fight starts" and i stopped it there, so there'll be a little bit of adventure in my attempt at least!

There is one thing I would note in Seat of Sacrifice in particular, because it can wipe the raid if you get demoralized easily. Given that "now the real fight starts" comment it was either in the part you saw or just afterward. Less a mechanical issue and more a psychological one:
There is a mid-fight cutscene with a quicktime event where instead of filling a bar you need to keep it from draining. The bar is tuned to drain faster when it's more full so that it always feels like you barely survived. If everyone does not pass, the whole group wipes. Keep hitting buttons even if at the start it feels you're not doing it, I've known a non-zero number of people who got psyched out and gave up.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

WrightOfWay posted:

Everyone dying to the final boss of Stormblood's first mechanic was really funny.

"Play the other games in the series or die", the Stormblood story

it is very funny that Shinryu just Shinryus all over the unsuspecting, though, love that for him

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

girl dick energy posted:

Are there any other dungeons/trials I should really consider doing with duty support instead of a normal group? I'm near the end of ShB (currently on the level 78 quests) and I've been bouncing between duty support and grouping with others. While the former is fun for some of the extra dialogue, it feels a little slow compared to the latter.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

reversefungi posted:

Are there any other dungeons/trials I should really consider doing with duty support instead of a normal group? I'm near the end of ShB (currently on the level 78 quests) and I've been bouncing between duty support and grouping with others. While the former is fun for some of the extra dialogue, it feels a little slow compared to the latter.

Honestly, I'm an advocate for *always* doing Duty Support the first time through, at least from Heavensward onward, since that's where you start pairing with actual named characters instead of full parties of the same generics over and over - and sometimes you get some very unique party members - you're already past it, but as an example, the level 70 dungeon (the one that's not from the patches) actually has... well, I'll put it in spoiler tags, because... y'know, new players thread. Don't peek if you don't want spoilers for the level 70 dungeon's party members! Depending on your role, Arenvald is your tank (yay, our boy!), and while yeah, ever-present Alphinaud is your healer, but your two DPS are Lyse and, if the player is not also a DPS, Raubahn himself! And Raubahn is very impressive... especially if the final boss drags on long enough and he snags the LB2. ROAR, TIZONA!

But yeah. Duty Support is slower, but you get the extra context and chatter from NPCs, you get to learn the fights without other people around (hell, the NPCs behavior can help teach you the fights), you're guaranteed all the loot to yourself (even if there is less total loot in Duty Support than regular dungeons), and all that good stuff.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Those are all great points, might have to stick to only duty support where I can moving forward! I had absolutely no idea that you got named NPCs in StB, it wasn't immediately obvious to me until ShB where you started seeing the icons over the various NPCs outside a duty you just unlocked. Is there any way to go back and re-do them with the named NPCs?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

reversefungi posted:

Those are all great points, might have to stick to only duty support where I can moving forward! I had absolutely no idea that you got named NPCs in StB, it wasn't immediately obvious to me until ShB where you started seeing the icons over the various NPCs outside a duty you just unlocked. Is there any way to go back and re-do them with the named NPCs?

Yeah, if you look through your menus, somewhere you should find an option that says "Duty Support". You can actually drag that off and onto your side bars somewhere if you want, but there, you'll have access to every dungeon you've unlocked that has Duty Support. That includes all 4-man dungeons that are required as part of the Main Story Quests, though no Alliance Raids or 8-man trials, with one very notable exception - the level 89 Trial mentioned previously, which I will say nothing else about.

The only MSQ-required dungeons that don't have Duty Support yet are the dungeons added during the Stormblood Patches, and those will likely come with 6.5, at which point all MSQ-required dungeons will have Duty Support. After that... who knows, they may look into adding Duty Support for the MSQ-required 8-man Trials, but that's just speculation, and not anything they've stated plans for as of yet.

Of note, generally, from Shadowbringers onward, the Duty Support menu will have a little menu to let you select who you bring with you, but up until then, the party members offered will simply depend on your current role. Some NPCs may adjust their role based on yours, other times one NPC will simply sit out depending on what role you take. So it's worth opening the menu while in multiple roles, just to see who does what.

I will say, all of the ARR Duty Support uses the same four nameless NPCs who have a sort of progression as they level up alongside you, but they MOSTLY vanish starting in Heavensward. They return for two dungeons late in Heavensward, but after that, unless they return again in the Stormblood Patch dungeons in 6.5, they vanish as of the end of Heavensward.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 15, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Like Clockwork posted:

"Play the other games in the series or die", the Stormblood story

it is very funny that Shinryu just Shinryus all over the unsuspecting, though, love that for him

I think Yoshi-P said that Shinryu just showing up randomly to kick his rear end was a big memory of his childhood which is why he keeps showing up in the story at the most opportune times

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I always use Duty Support for my first time in a new dungeon because it feels story appropriate to do it with the characters.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

I always use Duty Support for my first time in a new dungeon because it feels story appropriate to do it with the characters.

Same. I’m running it with my plot party!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I honestly delight in simply observing their behavior and what sort of moves and attacks they use, as a lot of them have interesting quirks and abilities that the players don't get, or just little behavioral quirks that work with their personality. Minor spoilers below for various characters who appear in Duty Support mode in Shadowbringers.

For example, if both Alphinaud and Alisaie are present, Alphinaud will prioritize healing a low-health Alisaie over anyone else - even the player or the tank. Alisaie herself is the single most Limit-Break-thirsty NPC in the game, and will frequently snatch it up within seconds of it becoming available, if it's even remotely safe to do so (though will wait for LB2 when it's an option). Some characters will defer the limit break to the player if they are DPS, but Alisaie is one of those NPCs that you will need to race to that button. Meanwhile, various characters have unique class variants, like Alphinaud's Academician working like a Scholar that doesn't have a Fairy, instead keeping his Carbuncle that functions like they did before Endwalker, as a persistent pet that adds a bit of extra damage; his heals are stronger than normal to make up for the lack of fairy healing. Or Y'shtola, who has her own unique damage rotation going through all six elements, instead of only the ones used by White or Black Mages. Urianger has a unique trick or two his own as well, occasionally targeting a low health enemy with "Death of the Seventh Dawn" to instantly finish them off - and honestly, he has my favorite voice clip of his attached to that spell as well. "All that I have and more I bring to bear!"

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 15, 2023

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Now that we have (nearly) full Duty Support, is there any reason to use Trusts beyond doing the dungeons with NPCs that don't usually get to go? Do Trusts get more EXP or loot or anything?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

You can level them up apparently if you want to run hundreds of trusts with them and you are out of anything else to do in this game

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I used 'em to level DPS characters through ShB/EW so I could kill two birds with one stone

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I remember using duty support once back in early ARR, finding it gruesomely slow with boring no-name NPCs, and promptly forgetting about it. Didn't realize that starting in HW you could get characters from the story. Just noticed that (HW) Haurchefant is an option for The Vault. I sorta want to try that but not sure if I'm emotionally ready for it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
To be fair, it is still significantly slower than doing it with other players, because Trusts/Duty Support NPCs won't use AoEs and will stop attacking to dodge danger puddles. They are, however, very good at dodging danger puddles, although if you have a mixed puddle/stack mechanic you need to follow them to the safe zone they decided on. I had the entire team run away from me when I had a stack marker because they were dodging an AoE with two safe zones and I went to the other one.

Essentially, it's gonna take you half an hour to play a dungeon "single-player." This can be faster than waiting for other people, depending on time of day and popularity of content.