Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm on the second to last phase of the expedition and so far the worst slog has surprisingly been collecting gamma root. Both gamma root planets in the system have high sentinel activity and the fuckers have the prime spots staked out.

The funniest part of the expedition has been during the same phase. I needed faecium so I found a small group of animals and began feeding them, but of course a goddamn sentinel had to come check things out. In no time I've attracted a herd of animals all looking for treats and there's poop all over but I don't know if sentinels get mad when you collect it, so I'm trying to grab it whenever it turns away.

But it's getting difficult because for some reason tons of animals are spawning and they're all nosing around for food and the stupid sentinel won't stop watching me. I wanted to put up a sign that said "I'M ONLY HERE FOR THE poo poo"

First time through the expedition, I spent forever skimming over the planet looking for gamma root plants by air, and then spent forever feeding animals and following them around until they pooped out some measly scraps of faecium.

Second time through I looked through the bases listed in a space station teleporter until I found one called something like "Krazy Harry's House of Gamma and Feces: Liquidation Sale, ALL SUPPLIES MUST GO" which turned out to be a gamma root and gutrot grow-op so large I filled my inventory with the stuff for no reason.

Right next door was a Runaway Mould plantation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MrGreenShirt posted:

First time through the expedition, I spent forever skimming over the planet looking for gamma root plants by air, and then spent forever feeding animals and following them around until they pooped out some measly scraps of faecium.

Second time through I looked through the bases listed in a space station teleporter until I found one called something like "Krazy Harry's House of Gamma and Feces: Liquidation Sale, ALL SUPPLIES MUST GO" which turned out to be a gamma root and gutrot grow-op so large I filled my inventory with the stuff for no reason.

Right next door was a Runaway Mould plantation.

Bringing down my property values! :argh:

EDIT: GOD I still have to collect 200 gamma roots.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chasing an A or S class sentinel ship: I have a pirate dissonant system so I can farm the echoes (rare as hell) but I don't quite get the hang of trying to reset for an s-ship. I thought save points would act as manual saves but that doesn't seem to be the case. What's the play for reseting or do I just keep scrapping/selling these?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I hadn't tried that, I just did a whole bunch until I got a good one. I was under the impression that class and slots are all fixed but idk. I should have kept screenshots of locations of the couple of very good slot layout ships I've found, I didn't think to do that. I am still doing a bunch of these so next time I find one I'll make sure I get the exactly x/y coordinates.
e: there's also various listings of coordinates with probably very precise choices of ships out there, there's a reddit coordinate exchange e.g.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 8, 2023

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Chasing an A or S class sentinel ship: I have a pirate dissonant system so I can farm the echoes (rare as hell) but I don't quite get the hang of trying to reset for an s-ship. I thought save points would act as manual saves but that doesn't seem to be the case. What's the play for reseting or do I just keep scrapping/selling these?

They changed the way that saves work a couple of updates back: the game doesn't differentiate between waypoint saves and leaving your ship saves so the old "save at waypoint before doing something then reload if you didn't like the result" trick doesn't really work anymore. I think backing up your saves is the only real way to go back now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ah well poo poo there goes that idea. I went ahead and farmed 5 echo locators. Currently on an A class sentinel so I'm going to burn these 5 and hope for an S or I'll just scrap em all and get to playing the game and trying some of the new content.

For reference on drop rate, the drill things that drop the locators drop either the locator or an inverted mirror. In the time it took me to hit 5 locators I got 38 mirrors.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've played this game 300 hours and I've never seen a squid exotic

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I have and it's always colours I don't want so I just pass on it, so might as well not have found it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ah well poo poo there goes that idea. I went ahead and farmed 5 echo locators. Currently on an A class sentinel so I'm going to burn these 5 and hope for an S or I'll just scrap em all and get to playing the game and trying some of the new content.

For reference on drop rate, the drill things that drop the locators drop either the locator or an inverted mirror. In the time it took me to hit 5 locators I got 38 mirrors.

go to the system that has that black and yellow ship I posted about earlier, there is definitely an A-class that will upgrade to S-class with 3 linked super slots and with that you can kill the sentinel cap ship very easily, it's way faster to just kill those and get dreadnought AI fragments.

e: this one, iirc I got the good one on the 2nd or 3rd try

Flesh Forge posted:

Well I'm gonna have to go get one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s8xo0I79x8

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 8, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm happy to say that I finished the Expedition. Because I'm a filthy casual with low skill I usually don't partake in game events so it was nice to not feel left out. Can I discard the Expedition save? I already collected the rewards on my regular save.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm happy to say that I finished the Expedition. Because I'm a filthy casual with low skill I usually don't partake in game events so it was nice to not feel left out. Can I discard the Expedition save? I already collected the rewards on my regular save.

Yeah once it's done you can just delete it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

did you get both the hats. it's as easy as just reloading back to your ship after claiming the first robot head lol

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Got one with good slotting (started with A-class with 2 super slots linked, gambled upgrading it to S-class and got this) :toot:

I don't see a way to influence slotting, is it just plain luck?

I keep forgetting super-slots are a thing. On my old save, every ship was so over-tuned I kept forgetting to look where the super-slot patch deposited them. The only one where I was fairly sure about the position was my exotic, because that thing had like infinite DPS on one of the weapons.

Re-starting fresh with a new save seems to turn out to be an even better idea than I hoped, as long as I can remember to look for those slots in any new ship.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this guy did 97 sentinel ship demos back to back, portal locations and a bit of video showing them from multiple angles for each:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM5SF1np4VY

e: and 69 more :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15cnrGdXi14

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 8, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Found a dissonant planet where about a dozen people had marked with messages sentinel ship crashes. No S-class but did find two really good A-class, one with 3 supercharged slots, 2 of which are close to one another. I think it's time I get a freighter so I can sort through these and melt the majority of them.

EDIT: nevermind I can switch docked ships in the Nexus freighter can gently caress off for now

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 8, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Are the Sentinel ships going core or are they just for the current event?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Core all the way baby!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

those have been in the core game for a long time now, from what I've read
e: here's a nice A-class sentinel ship with 3 linked super slots ready to go turquoise and white:

the smarter way to really look under every rock, what I should have been doing in the first place:
- farm up 150k nanites (this is maybe an hour or two trading pirate mods, or whatever other method you like)
- collect a Dreadnought AI fragment
- make a restore point
- fire it, follow the warp trace to the target system
- if you don't like how it looks, restore your save point and warp a good distance away from that system and fire the dreadnought AI fragment again
- if you like how it looks, land and repair it, even if it's C-class, fly it to the station (exiting your ship makes a new restore point)
- upgrade its class to S and see if the slot layout is good, if it's bad then just reload your restore point and scrap it without upgrading it
- if it's 3 or 4 linked super slots, congratulations you won

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 8, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: the trading pirate mods thing, I just made about 135k nanites in ~30 minutes at a cost of about 40 million U. Just teleport between pirate stations, don't bother to undock (obviously the first times you need to warp around) - buy all the Suspicious Arms/Tech packages, teleport to the next one. It could go a little faster at the cost of more money if you also buy the refinable Hadal Cores (don't bother with other stuff imo)

e: another nice ship with good slotting, this one starts out as B-class and upgrades into this (75k nanites):

upgrade costs are 10k from C->B, 25k from B->A, 50k from A->S

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 9, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

re: the trading pirate mods thing, I just made about 135k nanites in ~30 minutes at a cost of about 40 million U. Just teleport between pirate stations, don't bother to undock (obviously the first times you need to warp around) - buy all the Suspicious Arms/Tech packages, teleport to the next one. It could go a little faster at the cost of more money if you also buy the refinable Hadal Cores (don't bother with other stuff imo)

Walk me through this like am I an idiot. I see the suspicious merchant but it costs nanites to buy instead of money,

Oh wait I am an idiot you're buying the suspicious packets not the mod themselves.

Oh ok yeah this owns

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 9, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it seems way faster than the other various nanite farming methods I've heard about :shrug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I only had like 5 pirate stations saved so far and it got me a cool 25k nanites in addition to a couple of much needed upgrades for both my ship and multi-tool. I might keep this loop going just to keep rolling on mods for things until I have everything maxed out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

note that X-class mods have higher stat caps for everything, higher than S-class, even though they're totally random
also if you scrap them while they're fitted they return a ton of materials so it's not completely wasteful to just keep rolling

e: Another nice one, this one is in Guy Fieri's colors, starts as B-class but with nice slotting at S-class:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 10, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I hadn't built anything in Calypso and now it's dropped out of my teleport destination list, I didn't realize visited systems ever dropped out of that. The game's worst feature is how often it rubs your nose in it being a bunch of superficial procgen stuff and discourages you from developing a sense of place.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Flesh Forge posted:

I hadn't built anything in Calypso and now it's dropped out of my teleport destination list, I didn't realize visited systems ever dropped out of that. The game's worst feature is how often it rubs your nose in it being a bunch of superficial procgen stuff and discourages you from developing a sense of place.

yeah the visited stations list is only so many spots long. im in calypso right now its cool

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm in Hilbert and I know about the shortcut to get to the center of any galaxy (11111111) it's just really annoying how the game does this so much. No you can't see a planet map. No you can't search or filter any lists anywhere. Even though the entire universe is 100% nonrandom and generated from known, fixed seeds no, sorry you have to manually hunt through systems in the galaxy map UI to find specific system features.
e: somehow landed in Galaxy 9 (Eltiensleen) :negative:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 13, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I hit a planet in Calypso that has -105 C normal temperatures and windstorms that picked me up and threw me around in the sky, I tried digging a hole for temporary shelter and it actually pulled me out of the 20 meter deep tunnel I had dug :kimchi:

Now THAT'S a little more like it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wind storms are the only thing that actually frighten me in permadeath, as far as i can tell if you get picked up by one you always die (again, at least in permadeath).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been on what feels like the last mission, warping around to Atlas gates collecting glyphs. I took a break to adopt a settlement on the same planet as my base and now that they're happy and out of debt it's back to the mission. The reveal about the state of reality was a bummer though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hope you didn't waste any time trying to grind out portal glyphs because you're going to get all of them in a few minutes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Flesh Forge posted:

I hit a planet in Calypso that has -105 C normal temperatures and windstorms that picked me up and threw me around in the sky, I tried digging a hole for temporary shelter and it actually pulled me out of the 20 meter deep tunnel I had dug :kimchi:

he'll yeah

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Reaching the end of my Atlas quest I had to find a blue star system to get some Indium. When I arrived the local station looked weird, thought it was a pirate station. The name was garbled and inside it was empty and lit in red. Looked completely abandoned except for a teleporter. It was creepy! I went down to the planet to get indium and it was also weird as hell and had this giant ring structure that contained some disturbing text to download.

Elite did a good job of making you feel alone with so many utterly empty airless planets, but No Man's Sky adds a layer of distinct creepiness on top of that.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 14, 2023

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

All space stations used to look like that, except less spooky. They kept the design for abandoned systems.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Whoa, I didn't know the wind could do that at all. Is that a newer thing or I just avoided too many extreme planets?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have no idea, I never ran into this kind of storm in the hundred or so planets in Euclid I'd landed on but that's not actually a very big sample in the grand scheme of things :shrug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm in a new galaxy. All my stuff is broken. I get the feeling that "free play" is all that's left now, but I'm glad I picked this game back up again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah it pretty much is just a very big sandbox at that point, which is fine. There's still tons of goals for things like living ships, building the exocrafts out, Getting Big Number on your gear and ship(s) or whatever

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Khanstant posted:

Whoa, I didn't know the wind could do that at all. Is that a newer thing or I just avoided too many extreme planets?

First time I encountered it was in a previous expedition.

It was a bit of a surprise.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

This happened to me once, years ago. Luckily I was on a planet with one of my bases on it, and after a couple tries I managed to use a lull in the winds to escape inside, which protected me from being flung around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Swear i was up in the air for ten minutes, no up, no down, just spinning everywhere. :argh: