Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

congratufuckinlations I can’t believe you persisted with it for this long

its important to make one's mom happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

its important to make one's mom happy

indeed it is

you’re a good son

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

congratufuckinlations I can’t believe you persisted with it for this long

i can't either but i was really hoping it'd work out. I started to get invested as it reminded me more and more of fixing esoteric family computer issues

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

while its on my mind, very annoying you have to go to a torrent site to find an older windows iso instead of getting one straight from ms. they should either make that an option or not break compatibility with older hardware imho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I've used https://files.rg-adguard.net/category in the past to get official download links. IDK if theres some API they use or if its just a compilation of manually curated links but its all official microsoft public download URLs.

afaik theres no real official download list outside of some of their enterprise portals

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

thanks shaggar! thread proves its worth

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

I've used https://files.rg-adguard.net/category in the past to get official download links. IDK if theres some API they use or if its just a compilation of manually curated links but its all official microsoft public download URLs.

afaik theres no real official download list outside of some of their enterprise portals

:wow:

Boy I remember starting up MapPoint 2004 and thinking “it doesn’t get any better than this!”

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
do any photo websites let you upload a zip to create an album? both facebook and google photos will randomly drop photos or stop transferring if i drag and drop a whole gallery and uploading them five at a time to keep track of pass/fail is my own personal hell

edit: oh wait, looks like google photos might actually allow this? its letting me upload it at least

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
for windows isos you can use uup dump also, but the adguard thing is a better solution since those are official distributions. the iso creation tools are pretty interesting though

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
is there a way to tell Windows "no, this app cannot do the very Windows app thing of being able to block a scheduled suspend"?

the sony camera remote app is unfortunately designed by japanese engineers in the bowels of a megacorp and will probably never change because good luck at getting in contact with those engineers ever

it, rather annoyingly, spawns a dialog to inform you that you've physically shut off the camera and that the app must close as such, but the app and dialog remain open until you affirm you understand this information

the app prevents suspend, probably somewhat justifiably, since if you had left the camera on and recording, you would want it to continue to do so and prevent windows from suspending. however, i do not give two fucks about the app telling me that it's going to close, and never use it in a fashion where i need to prevent suspend during long records, so i would much rather it just lose that capability rather than keeping my computer up all night because i just turned the camera off and forgot to click the "okay" button on the dialog

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

I got a computer problem! computers exist!!!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

my ipad pro 13 is very needs suiting.

my friend has a paperscreen on hers, and i'm getting one of those because it feels so nice writing with the apple pen on it. wonderful texture.

ok flipping back a few pages itt thread and holy loving poo poo what??? this is amazing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

is there a way to tell Windows "no, this app cannot do the very Windows app thing of being able to block a scheduled suspend"?

the sony camera remote app is unfortunately designed by japanese engineers in the bowels of a megacorp and will probably never change because good luck at getting in contact with those engineers ever

it, rather annoyingly, spawns a dialog to inform you that you've physically shut off the camera and that the app must close as such, but the app and dialog remain open until you affirm you understand this information

the app prevents suspend, probably somewhat justifiably, since if you had left the camera on and recording, you would want it to continue to do so and prevent windows from suspending. however, i do not give two fucks about the app telling me that it's going to close, and never use it in a fashion where i need to prevent suspend during long records, so i would much rather it just lose that capability rather than keeping my computer up all night because i just turned the camera off and forgot to click the "okay" button on the dialog

depending on how the app is blocking sleep you can use powercfg -requests to show everything that is blocking each type of power request and then powercfg -requestoverride to set an override to deny the request

trigger the suspension, wait for the app to block, and then (with the app/dialog still open) do powercfg -requests to see if it shows up in there.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

skimothy milkerson posted:

ive got no problem with computers existing. rather my issue is that i have to use the fuckin things

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Currently at work our 'Media Store' is a bunch of 'Folder by year -> Folder by job' with photos and videos inside, obviously no metadata or useful way of searching any of it. What's a good Media Server app that will sit on a Windows server and let me manage all this? Some kind of Lightroom-style library interface that presents in a browser and can be accessed by multiple users would be perfect. I could get a Sharepoint set up, but I'm hoping there's a better made-for-purpose tool out there.

edit: stuff like

https://geekflare.com/self-hosted-photo-backup-alternatives/

edit edit: this looks useful

https://github.com/meichthys/foss_photo_libraries

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 19, 2023

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i really want something like this but always dig too deep when i try to pick one and end up fixating on random parts of the featureset instead of picking something good enough

when you pick one you should post about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so ive got this 1080ti hybrid sc2 in my second box and the pump has gone noisy. Can anybody help me find a replacment cooler that will fit, either air or a little aio? I don't know anything about aftermarketing video cards.

i dont care if i have to pull the plastic shell off for a big rear end heatsink or w/e

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jonny you would be well served asking in the shsc video cards thread, there are probably multiple people in there who have done that exact mod

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484126

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not a bad play. i'll hold my nose and go into the grays

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
my cable internet upstream has died over and over again for the past week. like 4-5 times a day. i'd like to blame comcast but think my modem might be dying.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr. Nice! posted:

think my modem might be dying.
we are all dying mr nice

a little bit, day by day

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

FMguru posted:

we are all dying mr nice

a little bit, day by day

maybe you are

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skimothy milkerson posted:

okay i have a solution here's what u do:

- turn your computer off

- open it up and take a huge dump in it

- close it back up again

- throw your computer out the window

(optional)
- throw yourself out the window

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr. Nice! posted:

my cable internet upstream has died over and over again for the past week. like 4-5 times a day. i'd like to blame comcast but think my modem might be dying.

we've got comcast internet at a bunch of locations at work and seems like every week we're having to power cycle at least one comcast modem because it just dropped offline

pretty sure part of it is just the drat modems getting old. we had one location where the reboot didn't fix it, comcast helpdesk person took a look and said "wow that modem is like nine years old" and immediately sent out a tech with a replacement

anyway yeah i bet your comcast modem is dying. yell at support and tell them to replace it already

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
cable is just garbage, fiber and even slow rear end dsl have much better reliability

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
*plug in tv* kills internet for entire town

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54239180.amp

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

we've got comcast internet at a bunch of locations at work and seems like every week we're having to power cycle at least one comcast modem because it just dropped offline

pretty sure part of it is just the drat modems getting old. we had one location where the reboot didn't fix it, comcast helpdesk person took a look and said "wow that modem is like nine years old" and immediately sent out a tech with a replacement

anyway yeah i bet your comcast modem is dying. yell at support and tell them to replace it already

i don't pay comcast a monthly fee for a modem. i own my own because one year of renting it from comcast costs more than a new one. it is definitely ripe for replacement, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Perplx posted:

cable is just garbage, fiber and even slow rear end dsl have much better reliability

i live on the edge of one of the poorest zip codes in florida on the poor side of one of the most wealth disparate cities in the state and probably nation. my dsl option is 3mb for $50/month. i pay that for 100mb and garbage service from comcast. the local fiber company last i checked still doesn't offer service to my area and said it would be 3+ months before they do. i literally cannot pull up their website because whatever their "human verification" is failed, and i get a blank page instead.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have cable and it's fine. 1Gb down 100Mb up. Never have any real issues. I guess it's just that Comcast is real bad.

Gonna switch to fiber when it's available though, should finally be available in my building later this year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

spankmeister posted:

I have cable and it's fine. 1Gb down 100Mb up. Never have any real issues. I guess it's just that Comcast is real bad.

Gonna switch to fiber when it's available though, should finally be available in my building later this year.

it all depends on whether your local monopoly gives a gently caress or not. oceanic time warner out in hawaii was great. cox/suddenlink was ok. comcast is hot loving garbage.

my gf in rural georgia 15 minutes from the nearest town has better internet than i do in a state capitol.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have an AWS ALB that has routes to require auth via OIDC to view web pages on an internal Django CRUD app I control. Works great.

I want to be able to allow API users (who are still employees) to query the API hanging off this service, but obviously if I run e.g. curl without a AWSELBAuthSessionCookie set it will redirect me using OIDC to login.microsoftonline.com.

Is there a standard workflow to use OIDC to get an auth token for API? Right now all I can think of is to set the ALB to let /api/ routes through and do auth at the app level but that sucks. Perfect would be some sort of MSFT portal that would give you an auth token you could set for a request.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my computer's been locking up since I upgraded the RAM... .. .. well, I just tried shuffling the RAM modules so we'll see if it happens again.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good luck

is a memory test worthwhile?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

maybe

hasn't crashed yet though!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

maybe one of them wasn't seated properly and shuffling them fixed it?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
if you added more sticks than before (e.g. had two before and four now) then there could also have been junk in the previously-unused slots even if the memory was clicked down all the way

could also be a bad stick tho, so yeah run memtest if it doesn't fix itself

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my memory is also bad, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:cawg:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

polyester concept posted:

my memory is also bad, op

well lets take a look at it, mr gumby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Raluek posted:

if you added more sticks than before (e.g. had two before and four now) then there could also have been junk in the previously-unused slots even if the memory was clicked down all the way

could also be a bad stick tho, so yeah run memtest if it doesn't fix itself

yeah I went from 2 sticks to 4. double ram baby :c00l: