Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Eediot Jedi posted:

Ah, but if you were a tradie, you wouldn't have a HELP debt.

Didn't they change that so that VET courses could be put on hecs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
ngl I'm thinking about retraining as a sparkie but who the gently caress is going to want an apprentice in their 40s?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

JBP posted:

Why do you need any of that to buy a $950,000 house? If you borrowed $800k it's like 4.5k pm even with dogshit interest rates. Local electrician and a part time partner wouldn't break a sweat.

My partner and I both earn above the median salary with no kids, and while we would be able to repay 4,500 a month I suspect that would leave us treading water with no ability to generate savings and no ability to pay for childcare and/or have one of us actually leave employment for a while so that we can have kids.

And as others have pointed out: these are not dogshit interest rates. Historically they are somewhere between low and average.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thatbastardken posted:

ngl I'm thinking about retraining as a sparkie but who the gently caress is going to want an apprentice in their 40s?

There's probably sparkies that would like an older apprentice who doesn't do all the normal stupid young person stuff

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

thatbastardken posted:

Iirc older apprentices are liked because they typically will work all the overtime to pay for houses/families and aren't turning up seedy after a big night.

If you were approaching 60s that might change.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
You think you want to be a tradie, but in your 40s working the tools sucks arse.

Good luck to you though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Well, it's not the tools so much, but just think how pissed off you get when you have to bend over to pick up something you've dropped and then do something like that over and over every hour you're working

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How are things for trade apprenticeships lately anyway? Last I heard there were huge problems with apprentices getting treated as cheap labour and never actually taught meaningfully, just abused until they quit and can be replaced.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

starkebn posted:

You think you want to be a tradie, but in your 40s working the tools sucks arse.

Good luck to you though.

you're not wrong, but i can't face another call center without killing myself

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
have you tried being a computer toucher?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
ATO call centre is chill

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

thatbastardken posted:

you're not wrong, but i can't face another call center without killing myself

learn to code

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Anidav posted:

ATO call centre is chill

Surprisingly helpful people at the ATO.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Gorfob posted:

Surprisingly helpful people at the ATO.

Not when I worked there :hehe:

Recoome posted:

learn to code

I am :(

Ai is going to take my job before I do

E: I am also slamming through learning mathematics just because it's neat and I regret forgetting everything since school.
I really recommend this play list of you want to learn maths. Short videos, very well explained, topics build on one another. It starts from the very basics and goes on up.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLybg94GvOJ9FoGQeUMFZ4SWZsr30jlUYK

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 15, 2023

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

I am :(

Ai is going to take my job before I do

As someone who got out of tech support hell a few years back, imo learn to be a BI Developer.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/certifications/power-bi-data-analyst-associate/

Do that training for free. Get the cert for $160ish. Do a couple of demo reports on public data to show you can do it, and then you are golden.

If you are trying to learn a programming language, dax and M is one of the easier ones to learn while still being fairly powerful, and given the amount of data being generated, they are always going to need people to make sense of it.

The maths requirement is substantially less than a quote unquote data analyst, and if you have good soft skills, you will be in high demand.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

NPR Journalizard posted:

As someone who got out of tech support hell a few years back, imo learn to be a BI Developer.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/certifications/power-bi-data-analyst-associate/

Do that training for free. Get the cert for $160ish. Do a couple of demo reports on public data to show you can do it, and then you are golden.

If you are trying to learn a programming language, dax and M is one of the easier ones to learn while still being fairly powerful, and given the amount of data being generated, they are always going to need people to make sense of it.

The maths requirement is substantially less than a quote unquote data analyst, and if you have good soft skills, you will be in high demand.

Cheers will look into that

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

Cheers will look into that

Drop me a PM if you want to chat about anything related, always happy to share info

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

Working in game development and this free education looks amazing for being able to gather some data myself rather than requesting/waiting for reports. Thanks for linking!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

ATO call centre is chill

Not this time of year it isn't.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Recoome posted:

learn to code

Easy poo poo these days, it's computer lego.
You just need to learn to plug poo poo together that other people have already written.
If/else, for loop, copy paste job done

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
SAS and SQL are also remarkably easy to learn and are broadly used in big data applications. In 2020 I did a few of the online training courses in them when I got a job working on a helpdesk after working in the Centrelink call centre and taught myself more using google search and stack overflow, and now I'm a full time programmer working in a program maintenance team - I'd not touched programming in any capacity before (though having knowledge of excel formulas was a surprisingly good foundation).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are you me? I was a DBA in the ATO who left to go to a game developer which is now circling the drain financially.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
ATO call centre is generally good because there's no real targets, you just got to be able to find the correct answer to some query and springboard elsewhere in the APS from that.

90 percent of call centres are poo poo but ATO is pretty good because even at tax time the worst case scenario is being stumped at a question and these days every team has an inbuilt support aps4 and when they get stumped you have a national support hotline so you hunt down the answers and give it to the client and that's the end of the call.

It also isn't gonna get eaten by ai anytime soon because of how much they want human input, human checks and robodebt means the machines will be on a leash for some time yet at an APS level.

No sales targets, no worries.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 15, 2023

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are you me? I was a DBA in the ATO who left to go to a game developer which is now circling the drain financially.

Dara analytics division at services Australia. Probably going to just stay here until I retire as I hit 10 years in May and that sweet sweet lsl is just too tempting.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

NPR Journalizard posted:

....if you have good soft skills, you will be in high demand.

This is the key. Speaking as a manager who hires software engineers, I will ignore the poo poo out of a lack of technical experience if you can demonstrate an ability to not be a loving oval office.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JBP posted:

Why do you need any of that to buy a $950,000 house? If you borrowed $800k it's like 4.5k pm even with dogshit interest rates. Local electrician and a part time partner wouldn't break a sweat.

JBP going for the coveted "Three Olives of AusPol" award.

edit: loving lol

Breetai posted:

You're like an Aussie 3olives only somehow more annoying.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 15, 2023

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

A solid qld moment in the fadden by-election yesterday.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

With all that's going on in this country and this world is nice to see the Boomers that spring up on my Facebook are just rabid about not being able to find Fantales.

One did, but it was $6.95 for the bag, and off we go for a collective frothing at the mouth.

If it wasn't for the ability to keep touch with family without having to talk to them I'd have joined everyone else running a mile from that growing Dead zone....

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hambeet posted:

Liberal party national growth is coming from 18-34 year olds and women.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hambeet posted:

The Gold Coast basically Little Sydney, there was no way that wasn't going to the LNP

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The Gold Coast is pretty much the worst place in the country. Not just in terms of politics or demographics but to visit as well.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
is it because of all the piss that makes it gold?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

The Lord Bude posted:

The Gold Coast is pretty much the worst place in the country. Not just in terms of politics or demographics but to visit as well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’m not a beach person at all but there are so many nicer beach adjacent places you could be going instead of the Gold Coast. Noosa, Stradbroke, Moreton all easy to get to from Brisbane and vastly superior. Literally the only thing the Gold Coast is good for is hosting Bucks Parties for Bogans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been to the gold coast a couple times just for the theme parks, and seeing the beach I'm like 'That's it?' It's hilariously mediocre. There's better beaches literally everywhere else in Australia besides inland.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/heritage_why/status/1680432271231447040

oh thats hosed

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been to the gold coast a couple times just for the theme parks, and seeing the beach I'm like 'That's it?' It's hilariously mediocre. There's better beaches literally everywhere else in Australia besides inland.

i've heard the beaches were much nicer before all the development hosed the place up

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Feel free to buy and hold all the heritage houses.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

lol i didn't know that exception existed.

i wonder how many properties across melb have full heritage protections that includes the inside? i thought the vast majority of heritage overlays were purely external facades and poo poo like 'neighbourhood character' and whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Recoome posted:

The Gold Coast basically Little Sydney, there was no way that wasn't going to the LNP

doubling down with a swing towards the qld brand.

n o i c e