Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zwabu posted:

I don’t recall seeing any clues of this type.

I think Madison being able to survive was simply necessary to the story in order for the villain to get her comeuppance.

Personally I felt as soon as she saw the camp and cooking setup she should have dumped the body and bailed.

Glad you enjoyed it too, I had fun watching it.

That's really a bummer they had so many opportunities to subtlety do that. Show posts in her feed and like 3 of them are survivalist tips, etc.

The impression I was building of her with the guess that she survived was that she just recently became an influencer when she met Ryan, but before that she wasn't social and had experience.

But oh well, plot twist of her just making it works too. And you're right, if that were me I'd dump the body and take a month or so break and hightail it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

I do and it’s totally degraded. Keep it in a ziploc lol

You should wrap the ziploc in some barb wire and then stash it under the floorboards just to gently caress with whoever finds it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://youtu.be/GRt-mx0VPsk

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 15, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

You should wrap the ziploc in some barb wire and then stash it under the floorboards just to gently caress with whoever finds it.

And let some bearded hipster ignore my warnings and further the decomposition with their filthy oily fingers????

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Medullah posted:

I just watched Influencer and I really liked it! Very cool hook. I do have a question -

I assumed right away that Madison would take her revenge so I was watching looking for clues that she had survival skills, like a picture on her feed of her in a survival camp or something that was just below the picture CK was looking at.

I didn't catch any clues unfortunately, but I did browse my phone a couple times. Was there any clue before the return to the island?

I think there was some throwaway line about Madison being a girl scout. I think it was while the villain was befriending her, and she probably ignored it because people assume girl scouts are BS.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah it was a fun little line that was enough for me considering it's a fairly silly movie anyway

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't think I'd show Evil Dead 1 to any kid because of the Tree Scene.

Heck, my wife won't rewatch it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Put me in the ED1/2 Necronomicon editions that are full destroyed

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
My necronomicon never disintegrated. Still in good shape.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its basic knowledge that you have to rub your Necronomicon with blood once every six months to keep it fresh.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Its basic knowledge that you have to rub your Necronomicon with blood once every six months to keep it fresh.

Can't go out tonight babe, gotta lube up my Necronomicon.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Blackening was so good

Extremely solid horror comedy

Anyone else watch this?

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 15, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Deadite posted:

Who else in this thread owns the special necronomicon edition of the Evil Dead DVD?

I hypothetically do, in that I own a DVD that sits in a plastic shell covered in polyester batting and surrounded by very fine particles of rubber. ED2 also.

Zwabu posted:

When I was in college we showed ED on VHS in my dorm about a million times.

One of my favorite pleasures was showing it to some unsuspecting new person.

“Jack.. of spades. Two… of spades.. JACK OF DIAMONDS QUEEN OF DIAMONDS RARRRRGH”

edit: Also, Demon Linda doing a reprise of the “furtive gaze around the necklace” game was just :discourse:

The musical cues in the first scene is called "Eye Games," the reprise later is called "Die Games."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I take it most people recommend Unwelcome?

How about Terror Train? Don't Panic?

Looking for a random horror movie to throw on. I was thinking of starting the Friday the 13th series but I mostly just love Freddy Kreuger for the camp and surreal poo poo so I'm not sure if I'm gonna really get into the series if it's more straightforward smash and slash.

Might watch the Collingswood Story, I started it a while back, got bored even if all the 2002 screenlife tech stuff was pretty charming. I have a pretty high tolerance for mediocre found footage tho now that I'm scraping the barrel. Just watched Grave Encounters and Exists which were both pretty forgettable.
Maybe I'll watch The Last Broadcast finally.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I feel like such a fraud, how come it was only this evening that I heard about the wonders of...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Looking for a random horror movie to throw on. I was thinking of starting the Friday the 13th series but I mostly just love Freddy Kreuger for the camp and surreal poo poo so I'm not sure if I'm gonna really get into the series if it's more straightforward smash and slash.

Might watch the Collingswood Story, I started it a while back, got bored even if all the 2002 screenlife tech stuff was pretty charming. I have a pretty high tolerance for mediocre found footage tho now that I'm scraping the barrel. Just watched Grave Encounters and Exists which were both pretty forgettable.

Yeah watch Unwelcome even if only to get to the final ten minutes of the movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Unwelcome is a good time.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Martman posted:

I think there was some throwaway line about Madison being a girl scout. I think it was while the villain was befriending her, and she probably ignored it because people assume girl scouts are BS.

Yeah, this is the only thing I really remember. Which also works because her whole thing was partially based on thinking these stuck-up rich influencers were lying (to others and to themselves) about who they really are, so her undoing was around one of the few things Madi was actually honest about

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Terror train is a good watch. Perfect 80's popcorn flick with Jamie Lee Curtis to boot.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I feel like such a fraud, how come it was only this evening that I heard about the wonders of...

Real admiration for the actors performing the exercises in the zombie make-up and funeral attire. I hope they got paid well for that.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Medullah posted:

I just watched Influencer and I really liked it! Very cool hook. I do have a question -

I assumed right away that Madison would take her revenge so I was watching looking for clues that she had survival skills, like a picture on her feed of her in a survival camp or something that was just below the picture CK was looking at.

I didn't catch any clues unfortunately, but I did browse my phone a couple times. Was there any clue before the return to the island?

There was a line in the flashback where the guy says something like "You're amazing at everything you try." When he gets crushed at skiball or whatever game they were playing. Which I took as a hint of what's coming.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Hell, I'm still scared of the Ghastly Grinner

the Ghastly Grinner was hosed as was that scary pool ghost

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

if we're talking Terror Train 1980, that's a classic. highly recommended.

it got a made for tubi (lol) remake recently which i cannot vouch for

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the Ghastly Grinner was hosed as was that scary pool ghost

that one hosed with me so bad

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think with horror, something that helps a lot is when it's clear the spooky thing is deliberately messing with the character's heads. Like Colour out of Space, but also like a lot of episodes of Haunting Hour do that as well where it's obvious that the spooky occurrence is driving the protagonists crazy so when they do something dumb it makes sense.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Unwelcome has some good stuff but IMO it takes way too long to get to it. If it weren’t for Colm Meaney I would’ve been super bored up until the last 30 minutes or so, and even with him I thought it was only OK overall. The last act is very good though so I’d still say give it a chance, even if it didn’t totally work for me

The Last Broadcast is sort of interesting for being a pre-Blair Witch found footage film but the ending is really really terrible

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The Blackening was so good

Extremely solid horror comedy

Anyone else watch this?

I did, yeah. It was a pretty good time, I appreciated that it took the horror filmmaking part seriously while still being a good comedy first.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Last Broadcast is really interesting, and particularly I like how seriously they took the use of technology and how realistic that feels, but the lack of budget can take you out of it so easily with reporters who have no idea how to report or a "producer" who is clearly filming in a college dorm. The ending throws aside the pretext of the entire rest of the film but the last few seconds are very good. It's a really interesting time that I enjoyed a lot but it's not really very good in most ways.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I did, yeah. It was a pretty good time, I appreciated that it took the horror filmmaking part seriously while still being a good comedy first.

After credits scene was great

Also loved the scene about tv show Friends

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 15, 2023

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Martman posted:

Yep, this is it. While watching I immediately clocked that in a “this’ll come back later” way, though I didn’t expect exactly how until some more happened

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I’m sitting here trying to decide whether to watch Scream 6 or Infinity Pool and I just can’t make a decision because of how different the two are.

I’m leaning towards Infinity Pool, though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Professor Funk posted:

I’m sitting here trying to decide whether to watch Scream 6 or Infinity Pool and I just can’t make a decision because of how different the two are.

It depends Scream 6 has a totally different vibe from Infinity Pool. Really depends on the vibe your in. Infinity Pool is more a anxious nervous vibe. Scream 6 is more chill relaxed vibe.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

I love both so I'd say it depends on the mood. Both are fun, if you want weird in addition to that go for Infinity Pool

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

really liked infinity pool a lot. performances and ideas and visuals were all very novel. much easier to recommend than scream 6 but you’re right the vibes are wildly different.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i was really bummed out by Scream VI, there is absolutely no death of anyone of consequence. a bunch of redshirts introduced to pad the movie out. for a movie that draws heaps of attention to "no one is safe in a franchise" they really do nothing with it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Is there some deep lore reason for why the Nostromo has a wet-chain tunnel with potable (?!?) water just falling on some concrete from a great height?

It’s obviously just because it looks cool, and that’s a great reason and I support it. But Alien is a big enough franchise that someone must’ve tried writing like a GURPS supplement for it or something. That seems like the kind of a thing some beautiful nerd would try to defend.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I get as much thrill from hearing Brandon cronenberg is involved with something as I get from Joe Hill's name (shout out to The Black Phone lol), but I did like Possessor so it's on my to-do list.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there some deep lore reason for why the Nostromo has a wet-chain tunnel with potable (?!?) water just falling on some concrete from a great height?

It’s obviously just because it looks cool, and that’s a great reason and I support it. But Alien is a big enough franchise that someone must’ve tried writing like a GURPS supplement for it or something. That seems like the kind of a thing some beautiful nerd would try to defend.
That's the room where they keep their wet chains

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Martman posted:

That's the room where they keep their wet chains

same applies to hellraiser

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

C2C - 2.0 posted:

When I was 5(!!!!!!!), my aunt had me watch The Exorcist with her while babysitting me :lmao:

My parents couldn't find a babysitter so they took me with when they saw The Exorcist at the show. Still wasn't enough for me to invoke the family rule of if I wanted to leave for whatever reason, I just had to say so and we'd leave. Only invoked it on a Bambi theatrical rerelease.

edit to add:

Baron von Eevl posted:

I hypothetically do, in that I own a DVD that sits in a plastic shell covered in polyester batting and surrounded by very fine particles of rubber. ED2 also.

Same here. Turned out the latex/whatever they used for the skinalike degraded very quickly depending on the environment. Everyone I know who bought it ended up with a fragmented casing.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
my army of darkness is in a regular old DVD case made to look like a paper bag. Bruce Campbell signed mine "ash" right next to the " don't call me ash" part of the printed signature