Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's some good advice, thanks everyone. Especially the stuff about tribal being good practice for caravan runs, I've barely touched that side of the game because I never feel like I can spare a group that would be big enough to defend themselves. I only used it once to send a pyromaniac on a one-way trip to see how it worked mechanically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's pretty easy to research into coolers too, but if you want to not do that then you may feel tempted to make tons of pemmican but that's kind of a trap - pemmican takes a ton of work to make and you're usually better off just making simple meals. It's worth it if you need to form a caravan but not if you're just trying to preserve a little meat, imo

Rot timers are all independent, so you can really stretch out the clock by strategically waiting before you butcher and then waiting before you cook. It doesn't matter if some meat was 4 hours away from rotting, it still makes a normal simple meal with the full 4 day rot timer. This micromanagement is pointless if you have a freezer but it can make a no-refrigeration situation work a lot better.

burgersmith
Jun 27, 2023
That's right boys, Mondo cool.

I've looked at the tribal start before, but I'm not sure I like the research time penalty they get. How big of an issue is that actually?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's not a big issue at all in my opinion but ymmv

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Should I be planting hay in my animal pens or leaving them without a grow zone? My setup now is hay in the pens which is set to not be cut with an additional hay zone for winter storage.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if they eat the hay when it's not 100% grown they won't get 100% nutrition from it, but i've done this in various deserts and stuff to sort of force grass to grow

if you're in a normal environment where normal grass will grow i like to throw down a grow zone and set it to never plant but harvest, then the colonists will chop down trees as and remove stumps as they get fully grown. So it sorta gets you a split difference depending on biome, where you're using this land for animals & wood

e: also if you have winter you may want to make sure that hay is on shelves in the barn, otherwise rats can come thru the fence and eat it. I've used this to lure huntable animals. if you've got food thrown on the ground outside at least try to get a roof over it, it'll help a little and is easy

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 11, 2023

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

SniperWoreConverse posted:

if you're in a normal environment where normal grass will grow i like to throw down a grow zone and set it to never plant but harvest, then the colonists will chop down trees as and remove stumps as they get fully grown. So it sorta gets you a split difference depending on biome, where you're using this land for animals & wood
If you're talking about an actual animal pen, you can click on the pen marker & set it to automatically cut/chop certain plants that your animals can't eat - this includes trees by default(although after the initial culling, it'll cut them down before they produce wood), but you can change it around to your liking.

quote:

e: also if you have winter you may want to make sure that hay is on shelves in the barn, otherwise rats can come thru the fence and eat it. I've used this to lure huntable animals. if you've got food thrown on the ground outside at least try to get a roof over it, it'll help a little and is easy
This is one of many reasons why your pens should be bordered by actual walls, not fences. If rats can get in, so can hungry predators - and predators will be eyeing your livestock a lot more in winter when most of their usual prey is off-map for the season. Pens function just fine with walls+regular doors; the only reason to build fences is as a temporary measure at the start of a colony(and even then it's probably a better idea to just throw up wooden walls). Just remember to remove the roofs so your animals still have plants to graze on!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tarnop posted:

That's some good advice, thanks everyone. Especially the stuff about tribal being good practice for caravan runs, I've barely touched that side of the game because I never feel like I can spare a group that would be big enough to defend themselves. I only used it once to send a pyromaniac on a one-way trip to see how it worked mechanically

ambushes and raids are generally very manageable as long as the people in the caravan are fighters in any sense of the word. the primary risk is if you are sending people who are unarmed or have < 3 in both combat skills. that said, may as well talk about that a bit.

if you have 2-3 people in the caravan, it's very unusual for them to get attacked by more than 3 enemies. ranged combat is generally better than melee combat because there's no chokepoints and people can run around a lot.

training shooters is fortunately quite simple. automatic hunting with a recurve bow will level people up pretty efficiently, especially if you have them hunt small game like rats or squirrels.

even that is less necessary than you think. small trade missions of 2-3 people with no pack animals will basically never get ambushed. those missions are hugely useful early on to trade 10kg of psychite tea for a few components or something of that nature. by the time you have highly visible caravans with a riding horse and a pack horse for every person on the mission, you will be comfortable enough to train real soldiers that will laugh off whatever pathetic idiots try to ambush them. the last 3 times my caravans have been ambushed in the colony i am currently playing, it's been 2-4 idiot fucknozzle pirates with knives and revolvers trying to stick up my trader Brewer and her daughter.

Brewer is a chrome goddess with 19 shooting and a masterwork charge rifle.
Her daughter is a chrome goddess with 17 shooting and an excellent chain shotgun.

They are not threatened.

burgersmith posted:

I've looked at the tribal start before, but I'm not sure I like the research time penalty they get. How big of an issue is that actually?
in the long run it is a nonissue. yes you need to spend 2x as many hours researching a bunch of things, but you started with 5 pawns instead of 3 and you can get more.

in the shorter run, depending on your situation it can be quite an issue. it depends on the situation. in general though i make sure at least one of my starting tribals has two flames in research and i build 4 desks because it's just that important to get a lot of stuff up and running yesterday. my early tribal colonies are basically:

priority 1: food for the next 3 days (i assume 2x simple meal/day)
priority 2: planting corn, psychite, cotton, and smokeleaf (in that order)
priority 3: building projects unlocked by recent research.
priority 4: research, research, research, until you loving drop

just off the top of my head, stuff i consider absolutely vital, in rough priority:

complex clothing
complex furniture
stonecutting
electricity
air conditioning
devilstrand
[electricity generation tech, which one depends on the situation but i like geothermal a lot]
smithing
machining
blowback operation
gas operation
plate armor
flak armor

after i have a way to spit out good+ quality chain shotguns and flak vests i start chilling out a lot. long blades may be important in there too, depending; if i can score an early psychic knockout lance, i'll just kill the first two thrumbo that wander by. their horns make VERY good melee weapons. this is one of the things that i will frequently send an early trade party out for - just go trade like 50 psychite tea or whatever for a psychic knockout lance, and when thrumbos come by, you KO them with the lance. mark them for hunting and then order a hunter to prioritize the task. the hunter will march right up to the unconscious thrumbo and slice its neck open, clean and quick.

anyway that was a lot of words but the tl;dr is that the first 2-ish years you will definitely feel a huge pressure to research, and you will suffer greatly if you do not. but after those 2-ish years, it's a complete non-issue.

Popete posted:

Should I be planting hay in my animal pens or leaving them without a grow zone? My setup now is hay in the pens which is set to not be cut with an additional hay zone for winter storage.
i do both. planting haygrass in the pen gives more life support than just letting grass grow and helps train Plants, which is a skill that is literally always useful as long as you're in a biome you can farm. but as you've seen unless you are using a very large pen you are probably going to need to work out some space elsewhere to make sure you have enough hay for winter. c'est la vie.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Preds can get past fences but they can't see into them at least. Fences aren't great but they're so fast to slap up and use such little material I usually find them to be pretty much not really worth messing with.

A lot of times if the thermal stress isn't super insane I'll do a compound, like bedrooms enclosing a central area that I can use for beasts & crops, throw some alleys wherever

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i tend to prioritize getting at least a wooden wall up around what i intend to make my base even in an early tribal stage just because even beyond making raids more predictable and manageable it completely eliminates the problem of predators

way too many animals will consider an adult human a potential meal

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
A fennic fox once hunted and killed a friendly trader. Made a sarcophagus for the dude.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Coolguye posted:

way too many rimworld players will consider an adult human a potential meal

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

They're made of meat. :shrug:

burgersmith
Jun 27, 2023
That's right boys, Mondo cool.

Look, it's winter, my crops died to the blight and my people are starving. A raiding party shows up. What am I supposed to do, not eat them? :rolleyes:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

burgersmith posted:

There are some mods that are neat that allow you to tech up as you research. So when you finish all of the neolithic techs you get to medieval tech level, then industrial, etc.

It helps encourage you to research wide rather than beeline to one or two key techs. Also is arguably a lot more important when you have a bunch of mods that add stuff.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I have a quest in which I need to bring two radiation suits to another village, and everytime my guys prep for the caravan, some rear end in a top hat colonist swoops by and wears the suit before they can pack it. If I forbid it, I can't take it to caravan. What the hell do I do? It's happened three times in a row.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

change the allowed outfit for your colonists to exclude the radsuit

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks!

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Dwarf Fortress is getting multithreading and we're over here listening to Tynan say that any optimizations would go against the spirit of the game

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

A fennic fox once hunted and killed a friendly trader. Made a sarcophagus for the dude.

now you have me wondering if hitting an allied NPC with resurrection serum will make their faction like you more.

"jake, what the gently caress, we heard you got murdered by a timberwolf out on a trading mission. it's been THREE YEARS."
"yeah that happened. they froze me until i got better."

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Dorkopotamis posted:

Dwarf Fortress is getting multithreading and we're over here listening to Tynan say that any optimizations would go against the spirit of the game

Don't worry, DF multithreading will somehow only be for cats.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I know we're probably never going to see multithreaded rimworld but god I'd kill for it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Bondematt posted:

Don't worry, DF multithreading will somehow only be for cats.

Glad to hear my performance will be exponentially improved

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Random whining/depression.(Because sometimes everyone needs to vent).

Recently bought Rimworld. Everyone's starving, no time for anything. Look up footage. Everyone else: Here's how I blew through the tech tree with one person naked and alone and instantly have everything I need on 500%....

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and no clue how to learn.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Quickstart_Guides

rim well and prosper

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Getting Started tips:
- Embark in one of the easier biomes like Temperate or Arid (this is probably pretty obvious), the ones with seasons during which you can't farm are a fairly binary "you didn't make enough food, oops you died"
- Make sure you start with a good farmer (someone with Plants skill 8+ and one or two passion flame for it)
- Make sure you start with a good builder (Construction 8+ and one or two passion flame for it)
- Make sure you start with a good cook (Cooking 8+ and one or two passion flame for it)
It's easiest if these skills are in separate people to make sure you don't have the problem you're running into, where workers are not available to do important tasks.

- Make sure one or more of your colonists is a good medic (Medicine 8+ and one or two passion flame for it)
Practically any disease will be fatal if not treated by a moderately skilled medic. High quality medicine helps a great deal but you won't have tons of this for a long time in a new colony. Grow healing herbs ASAP and keep them near one or more beds designated for hospital use. Keep the area around the beds as clean as possible to minimize risk of infection when treating wounded people. Keep a light near the bed, because treating people in the dark is much slower and has various penalties attached to it.

- Make sure one of your colonists is a good researcher (Intellectual 8+ and one or two passion flame for it)
It's OK if this skill is on either your builder or cook, since their core labor is generally not engaged most of the time. Farming tasks tend to be pretty full time.

- Grow Rice at first, even though it's "less efficient" than potatoes or corn it will ripen and be ready to make into meals the fastest
e: Hunting is a reasonable alternative or adjunct to farming and meat is great for making higher quality meals and for getting leather to make stuff from
- Don't eat raw food if you can possibly help it, cook meals either on a campfire or a stove and try to do your cooking in a clean area to minimize food poisoning risk. Food poisoning is the biggest and most common thing that will mess your colony up.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 15, 2023

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Recently bought Rimworld. Everyone's starving, no time for anything. Look up footage. Everyone else: Here's how I blew through the tech tree with one person naked and alone and instantly have everything I need on 500%....

Food is thankfully relatively easy to solve once you get the hang of the basics.

1) When you land, one of the first things to do is set up a farming plot. Presuming you have decent soil and a farmer with at least passable skill, you probably want around 20 tiles per colonist. Rice is the best way to start - you'll get the food supply up faster and it's more resistant to blights. Go potatoes if your soil quality is bad.
2) Build a stove ASAP. It should be one of your first three workbenches (research, butcher's). Simple meals give 1.8 times the food as raw ingredients. Set it to make 4 per colonist.
3) Hunt only as needed. Meat rots fast so overhunting early can kill you.
4) After getting a basic shelter up, creating a freezer is probably going to be your #1 priority. Create a closed storage area with 2-3 AC units to lower the temperature below freezing. Now you can store food forever and you can hunt/grow all you want to create a significant safety pad. Once I've got a freezer, I'm usually maintaining a stack of 10 meals per colonist in reserve.
5) Transition to corn eventually - the output over time is around the same, but the longer growing cycle means it's less work for the same result.
6) Once you're semi-established, a great way to supplement your food supply is ranching. Chickens are great for meat and eggs because of how fast they reproduce; sheep/alpaca are good supplies of wool in addition to meat. Do not farm boomalopes for food, every player makes that mistake once.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Bloodly posted:

Run through the tutorial, and fail a lot; pay attention to why you failed, and try to do better the next time. Don't get too attached to any colonists, because they're going to die, a lot.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bloodly posted:

It's not the easiest game to figure out, there are a lot of important things to look at and for a beginner it may not be obvious why pawns can't just like... get their basic needs met on their own. Asking itt is a great path to take.

For your specific problems:

1. Your first priority may be to learn how to use the Work menu more effectively. Here's a whole firehose just about how pawns decide what kind of work they should be doing, you don't have to read this whole thing but it contains a lot of information if you want to deep dive:
https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Work
The default Work menu looks kind of like this:

Job priority goes from left to right, and a checkbox means that the pawn will attempt to do that job if that job needs doing. If you hover your mouse over a box it will show that pawn's skill at that job - for instance if I hover over April's Warden skill it shows that the "Relevant skill" is Social and that their Social skill is 7, and that's why I've enabled Social for her. If I hover over the Grow box for April it shows that her Plants skill is 1, and that's why I have it disabled for her.

Generally this is a reasonable priority order, but it may not always be the right priority right now. Cook, Hunt, and Construct are all higher priority skill than Grow but during the first day or two it's really great to get a bunch of rice seeds in the ground so that you can have a quick source of food that's relatively shelf stable. Or maybe you have no meals and really badly need to cook some, but your sole cook is busy tending animals all day (Handle). You could just completely disable Handle for that pawn, or could click the Manual Priorities box in the upper left, making the menu look like this:

Here you can see that there are now numbers assigned to each enabled work type, these are manual priorities. The numbers take precedence (1 being highest priority), and jobs with the same priority number fall back to the standard left-to-right priority. So in this example I have a bunch of textiles that I want to convert into trade goods, so I have April prioritized on Tailoring, and then she's allowed to Mine, Smith, or Craft, and then most other things are 3 or 4. Randy is my main farmer, so he's set up to plant and harvest things, otherwise he's also my main researcher so he's on research tasks. Rynyk is my animals and shooting expert so he tends to domesticated animals and hunts wild ones, then he hauls whatever may need hauling. Not shown: I also have a dedicated pawn who just Cooks, pawns that primarily Construct but also do some other things, etc.

You can and should change these priorities over time. If I have a ton of crops to harvest I may reprioritize some pawns to go Plant Cut for a few days, while maybe reprioritizing other pawns to Haul just so get that work done because mining and constructing my massive cock-shaped throne room can wait a little bit but harvesting the crops really can't.

On the first day of a colony you want to construct a quick room and some beds for pawns to sleep in. You probably also want to get some crops in the ground (Rice grows fastest, so start with that). So on Day 1 you might shift your priorities to make those things happen quickly, then adjust as you settle in

2. Pawns will eat when they're hungry. By default pawns will try to eat food in fancy order; Lavish is highest priority, raw is lowest priority. Assuming you don't just set up a nutrient paste dispenser, early on you'll want to create a stove to produce Simple meals, which are easy to make and can be made out of any kind of raw food. Most meals go bad after a few days, so you only want to keep a handful around, I start by keeping a max of around 10 for a group of 3 pawns. Unrefrigerated raw meat goes bad pretty fast, but plants like rice and corn stay good for a very long time, so it's in your best interest to grow a lot of food so that you have a lot of shelf-stable stuff around. Corn takes a whole year to decay, I don't even bother refrigerating it.

To cook things you'll need a stove (electric or fueled) and then you'll need to create a Bill that tells pawns what to cook, how much to cook, and what to use for cooking. For this part you should just poke around in the menus and ask any questions in this thread

On the first day in the Crashlanded start, you start with a handful of packaged survival meals that stay good forever, and it's in your best interest to switch over to simple meals as soon as possible. Set up a rice field and then use the Work menu to prioritize planting, and maybe hunt an animal or two, then cook whatever you've got into simple meals. Build a table with some chairs for your pawns to eat at, and keep the simple meals next to the table. Pawns will grab a meal and sit to eat whenever they get hungry. Keep your stove in a separate room that you manually keep clean (using the right-click button on your mouse to tell a pawn to remove trash, blood, etc.) so that you don't accidentally give your pawn food poisoning; a bunch of animal poo poo all over the kitchen floor is not conducive to keeping pawns healthy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah those people who do naked solo extreme runs have been playing and losing at this game for years

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
More about priorities:

-If something just doesn't seem to be getting done despite you having pawns assigned to that labor, chances are that it's something on the right half of that tab that's not prioritized high enough(this is a very common problem with hauling, cleaning, and research). You may also want to double check that it actually uses the labor you think it does - a few oddball production orders are based on one skill but use a different labor in the priorities(ex: Cooking skill determines how fast a pawn makes smokeleaf joints, but it's actually a Craft task). A brute force troubleshooting method is to go to manually order a pawn to do it, and see what it says - if it's missing resources or if there's a minimum skill level problem, it will tell you. If it doesn't say anything and simply lets you do it, then it's a priorities/general workflow problem.

-Be very aware of the difference between Patient and Bed Rest. Patient is for immediately life threatening poo poo+having operations done, bed rest is for hanging around in the hospital bed afterward to recuperate faster. 99% of the time everyone should have Patient at priority 1. You generally want to change the priority of bed rest situationally, because otherwise you'll get dumbass pawns lazing around in bed all day because they have a few bruises from a social fight.

-Similarly, you probably want everyone to have Firefight at max priority. If you find that pawns are wasting time fighting fires in areas you don't care about, you probably want to shrink your home area instead(under architect->zone) & keep an eye on it if you build stuff in distant corners of the map.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bloodly posted:

To add on to what everyone else is saying, feel free to drop the difficulty way down, enable debug mode, and just screw around with the game for a bit. Get a basic sense for what works and what does not, then start jumping in to a more difficult setup. It's a single player game with a ton of mod support and customizable difficulty options. Have fun with it and enjoy playing however you want to. Get bored with the base game and start putting together mod packs with 300+ mods, then wonder why the game takes so long to load.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
vampires be dumb as poo poo running in front of my defenses into the angry mob. just sit in the rec room with your weird candle!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's actively a GOOD idea to play on minimum difficulty for your first game because there are so many ways to screw up peacetime management when you don't know what you're doing. you don't need outside influences to mess with you when you don't even know what buttons really do, and holy poo poo even if you are an actual certified genius i am telling you now, you have no goddamn idea what buttons do.

as the naked survival weirdos prove though once you know what you're doing, peacetime management in rimworld is almost passe.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The harder biomes like extreme desert or tundra or especially ice sheet can definitely give you a very challenging game without even considering combat but yeah

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Definitely no shame in using an easier difficulty, but always take Randy as your storyteller imo, that's not obvious from the descriptions but you should pretty much always pick Randy

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Bloodly posted:

If you want an LP, Quill's got a decent and recent tutorial series. Glancing around it, the first two episodes seem to be getting off the ground which should help you.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Even though i've tried RimWorld many times and know how the early game works, i still feel like i quickly end up in constant disaster response. In my opinion everything takes too long so i can barely get food butchered/gathered and cooked in time, nothing ever can get cleaned, and right around the corner is a wounded or angry colonist, or some fire or disease. At the same time i need to chop wood or to build or to craft. I might just have too few pawns i guess, but i wish everything wasn't a race against time before a real problem like a big raid has even begun. I haven't know about the bedrest thing before though, that might solve a lot if they stop laying in bed all day.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah that's normal as you unlock tech options and build the different worktables, needing more people to do those new jobs is your bottleneck. It would be nice if you could set schedules like "from 1-3pm do cleaning" but the game isn't really conceived that way. There are mods that let you get that specific but then when you do have 25 colonists later it's a massive nuisance to try to manage schedules with that much granularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Party In My Diapee posted:

Even though i've tried RimWorld many times and know how the early game works, i still feel like i quickly end up in constant disaster response. In my opinion everything takes too long so i can barely get food butchered/gathered and cooked in time, nothing ever can get cleaned, and right around the corner is a wounded or angry colonist, or some fire or disease. At the same time i need to chop wood or to build or to craft. I might just have too few pawns i guess, but i wish everything wasn't a race against time before a real problem like a big raid has even begun. I haven't know about the bedrest thing before though, that might solve a lot if they stop laying in bed all day.

this is a constant feeling until a much later phase in the game. you're basically correct that you don't have enough pawns. if i have a task that i want done, and it sees no progress for 24 hours, i generally assume i do not have enough work-hours in the day. there are a few ways to handle the situation:

first, foremost, and always: analyze walks and the orders you are actually giving people. this is what i meant when i said "you don't know what buttons do." it's easy to set up hauling as a low priority task because there's too much of it to do, which then means you have half of a corn harvest rot away after being picked. or, alternatively, that nothing gets done except all the hauling you ordered, because the place stuff is being hauled to is clear across the settlement. in general, you should never be hesitant to set up some johnny-on-the-spot shelves to store stuff near where you collect it. shelves are super cheap and will keep a very large number of Things. you can reorganize later. this one topic can spill more ink than almost any other in Rimworld, so it's worth showing off whatever architecture you have in the thread so people can help you analyze it.

second: organize to reduce downtime and interruptions. an early outer wall will keep predators away from your pawns. fewer injuries, fewer interruptions, more work done. you can also gain a lot of productivity per day by setting dedicated Work and Recreation blocks rather than keeping the default Anything block.

third: get more pawns, 4head~ getting more colonists is always and option and should always be considered. prisoner recruitment, quests, or normal colonists breeding should all be considered. children as young as 3 can haul and clean, and even if you are doing a quality over quantity raising for your kids, they will pitch in after their learning need is fully satisfied.

fourth: slaves. even if your ideology doesn't permit them without negative moodlets, do not underestimate the value of 1-2 slaves. you will always need crap cleaned and hauled, and there's lots of annoying tasks like stonecutting and slag smelting that need to be done. you can always emancipate your slaves after the acute need for them has passed.

fifth: robots! with biotech, it's not hard to get some simple mechs up and running early. installing the mechtech link will give you a free constructor, and the first research will unlock lifters (dedicated haulers) and cleansweeps (dedicated cleaners). they will create toxic waste, but you can handle that with pod launchers and a steady bribe to your dumping partner of choice until later in the game, when you can perform cleanups yourself. or, honestly, just keep your eye out for polux seeds. exotic goods merchants carry them every so often, and they're a free way to clean pollution. the only caveat is that you want them far away from your base for a few reasons, so the haul to dump the trash is long. but... that's what you have lifters for, so...

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 15, 2023