Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

everyone who enjoys mobas has a sickness deep inside them

Yeah, it disgusts me that I like Dota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sometimes if I get anxious in real life, I like to pretend I can do Visage's stone form and hide for a few seconds.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's a very zen experience to do something for 30+ minutes where you dont know if you will enjoy it or not

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Nichael posted:

Sometimes if I get anxious in real life, I like to pretend I can do Visage's stone form and hide for a few seconds.

be Teemo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol this thrust attack is bullsh*t to parry. bet its a distance thing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Buck Wildman posted:

FYI if you gotta get it day 1 you should always keep an eye on fanatical and other key sellers for any big dick deal release rather than buying direct, as you can p reliably find 15-20% off deals because they mass buy keys at wholesale price or whatever

I've seen a -25% promo for JA3 come through my inbox and I don't even have it on a watchlist.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
ja3s already up on tl, excited to play after work

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

lol this thrust attack is bullsh*t to parry. bet its a distance thing

im gonna parry this post

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

*casually waggles tiny shield in response to attack*

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lmao why would you use a tiny shield to parry when you can just shoot someone in the face.

I've been finally working my way through Bloodborne. Turns out it's a pretty good game

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hello sir vimes

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

croup coughfield posted:

hope it's good...

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Dreylad posted:

hope it's good...

better than.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

lmao why would you use a tiny shield to parry when you can just shoot someone in the face.

I've been finally working my way through Bloodborne. Turns out it's a pretty good game

darksouls could learn a lot from zelda. they need backflips and shield up to lock orientation

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

"a good game," he says

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Homeless Friend posted:

darksouls could learn a lot from zelda. they need backflips and shield up to lock orientation

the souls games and blood borne to a lesser extent all feel more like 3d fighting games than adventure games to me. moves are commitments, armor, super armor and i frames all feature heavily.

elden ring felt like a step into a more zeldaesque adventure game control scheme, while sekiro felt like a step in the other direction. both felt more coherent control wise imo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i have picked pudge almost every game for the past few years

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

i have picked pudge almost every game for the past few years

Butcher Block!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ytlaya posted:

"a good game," he says

a controversial opinion I know, but I stand by it

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

croup coughfield posted:

got a trojan instead. its fine...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i only trust fitgirl not to gently caress me. at least not in a way ill ever detect lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
cross-posting:

quote:

Some first impressions of Jagged Alliance 3 from an hour of playtime and liberating two sectors:

The first merc I ever hired immediately told me that she'd like it if I'd hired one other specific merc
The second merc I tried to hire then told me they didn't want to because I'd already hired that first one and they didn't get along with them
As you talk to various NPCs, the mercs you bring with you will chime in with their respective attitudes and views
This is great "roleplaying" and texture for the interpersonal relationships across your mercs

The game runs in real-time when you haven't discovered anyone yet, but switches to turn-based as soon as combat begins. This lets you easily move across a sector during quiet periods, and lets you set-up firing positions and even do stealth jaunts without taking too much time, but then you get full temporal control when appropriate

There is no "chance-to-hit" percentage indicator - you do get indicators for when a square provides cover, and you can adjust how much AP you spend on aiming, and you can also target individual body parts, and the game even have small icons to tell you what modifiers there are on a body part (example: head and hands are not in cover, legs are, torso is not in cover but is armored), but there's a sense of having to eyeball/guesstimate

Besides the lack of a precise CTH presentation, the game is very XCOM, and I already love it

The UI is extremely slick: when you pick up a gun, the merc's marksmanship stat shows up on the corner of their photo in case you want to assign a rifle based on who can shoot the best. When you pick up a grenade, it's the explosives stat that shows up instead

I've come across one lockbox that was... locked, so it's a good thing I picked up a merc with high mechanical skill and lockpicks to unlock it. It had an AK inside! I let out an audible "yessssssss ..." because I'd been slogging it out with pistols all this time.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Al! posted:

i only trust fitgirl not to gently caress me. at least not in a way ill ever detect lol

wow what a blast from the past!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

anyone up for battlebits?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lpzie posted:

anyone up for battlebits?

yeah I battle bits

in the sleeper-hit computer game Jagged Alliance 3

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Exoprimal is $60, has a battlepass, has loot crates, and has a grind. Game is DOA

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

exoprimal also looks weirdly repulsive it’s hard to describe but the overwhelmingly generic character of the “power suits” and their categories/abilities makes it seem so lovely on top of the awful business model. nice to see Battlebit achieve all this success while garbage like that flounders maybe companies will consider releasing games that way again sometimes

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Exoprimal is $60, has a battlepass, has loot crates, and has a grind. Game is DOA

Gamers are finally STANDING UP to Capitalism !

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Frog Act posted:

exoprimal also looks weirdly repulsive it’s hard to describe but the overwhelmingly generic character of the “power suits” and their categories/abilities makes it seem so lovely on top of the awful business model. nice to see Battlebit achieve all this success while garbage like that flounders maybe companies will consider releasing games that way again sometimes

It looks like shittier Anthem which is an incredible achievement

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

The horniness for the large Resident Evil vampire lady was always confusing to me and basically reminded me that there's a large variety of tastes and preferences in the world. IMO vampire lady was the only Village character who was actually creepy in a similar way to the family from the previous game. Large lady who eats blood all the time is just not sexy IMO, but it is a creepy concept. She might have big boobs/butt, but they're hosed up undead boobs/butt - gross! The other characters were "kind of funny looking fish man," "lady with kinda on-the-nose Spooky Dolls," "a guy who is just sorta annoying," and "a lady who is obviously evil." Only the large lady pulls off the contrast between "normal" and "gross/violent" that made the characters from the previous game spooky.

(I'm not pretending to not know the character names, I'm just on my phone so I can't easily look them up. I just remember vampire lady is Dim-something)

That was literally an award-winning performance. Who are you to belittle it

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

RE: Village sucked

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Popy posted:

i disagree. it was my favorite RE since RE4, or RE2make

i'd probably say RE4make > RE2make > Village > others

it does suffer on replays though for a variety of reasons. the baby level, while bad rear end the first time you do it, is tedious as hell the second playthrough and insufferable on the third. would also say the swamp is a bit of a slog too

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

it's a very zen experience to do something for 30+ minutes where you dont know if you will enjoy it or not

this is any pinball table for me

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

to celebrate page 101 we doing 101 kills in honor of page 101. .

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lpzie posted:

to celebrate page 101 we doing 101 kills in honor of page 101. .

idk how people even get this many kills, I've never broken 70 before. I always end up spending like half of the round just trying to find people since the spawn choices are almost always a cap point in the rear end end of nowhere, a sniper 500 meters away from anything else, or a guy who is standing directly in front of 10 enemies who start shooting the second I respawn on them

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Popy posted:

I actually do enjoy Castle Dimitrescu, but when I have two amazing RE remakes installed on the same ssd it's hard to summon much enthusiasm for Resident Evil 8

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I would not actually play any of the Resident Evil games because they are too spooky (or alternatively dour even when they aren't that spooky, as seems to be the case with most of Village) for me, but I did watch other people playing most of the last two. The one with the creepy family was definitely spookier than the Village.

Creepiest character between both games is probably the mother with all the insects in her. 2nd place goes to Dimitrescu from Village (but not her "daughters," they're just sorta goofy).

Neither reach the spookiness of the Silent Hill games, none of which I have played myself aside from the first portion of Silent Hill 4: The Room (which I once rented and played with two friends right after graduating high school, and we had to turn the lights on because of how spooky it was). I couldn't even bear to watch other people playing that one playable trailer thing (that never actually lead to a game apparently). There's a very simple formula for making games spooky like that (it's a normal person...but something hosed up happened to them, likely somehow sexual in nature!), but that doesn't make it any less effective.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Oops I forgot the first remake, which is also a banger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

I would not actually play any of the Resident Evil games because they are too spooky (or alternatively dour even when they aren't that spooky, as seems to be the case with most of Village) for me, but I did watch other people playing most of the last two. The one with the creepy family was definitely spookier than the Village.

Creepiest character between both games is probably the mother with all the insects in her. 2nd place goes to Dimitrescu from Village (but not her "daughters," they're just sorta goofy).

Neither reach the spookiness of the Silent Hill games, none of which I have played myself aside from the first portion of Silent Hill 4: The Room (which I once rented and played with two friends right after graduating high school, and we had to turn the lights on because of how spooky it was). I couldn't even bear to watch other people playing that one playable trailer thing (that never actually lead to a game apparently). There's a very simple formula for making games spooky like that (it's a normal person...but something hosed up happened to them, likely somehow sexual in nature!), but that doesn't make it any less effective.

you should play RE4make. it's really good and classic for a reason, it's actually not spooky and just silly fun campy. you're basically doom marine man. this is why RE8 is one of my second favorites because you're just so ridiculously OP supersoldier that it can't be scary, and it really isn't.

same reason I love Evil Within 2, it's basically a goofy RE4 game that isn't scary at all

meanwhile i do not actually enjoy SH games that much. I beat 2 but eh