Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have that stand. I really like it but the watch magnet isn't as strong as I'd like. If you use a metal band that has a bit of heft the watch will slide a bit and not charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I picked up one of those Anker cubes and it's pretty nice.

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
Okay this public beta on my phone is definitely sucking down some battery. I usually end the workday with around 80% and today I'm down to 56%. Meanwhile my watch seems to be similar to watchOS 9. I'm definitely enjoying iOS 17 the more I use it, all the little quality of life changes really do add up in the end and it's definitely a nice improvement over 16. I still would love a big redesign update like iOS 7 just to have something fresh

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you just installed it there could be some background indexing going on.

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
Oh that’s true, I was just assuming it was because of extra telemetry or something. That definitely makes sense. In a week or so I’ll probably have a more accurate sense of the battery usage for this first public beta

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a handy spreadsheet of all the new features and which ones are compatible with older iPhones?

With an iPhone XS and not knowing other people using Apple stuff (for the iMessage upgrades etc) I legitimately don’t know if there actually are any new features in iOS 17 I can use. :(

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a handy spreadsheet of all the new features and which ones are compatible with older iPhones?

With an iPhone XS and not knowing other people using Apple stuff (for the iMessage upgrades etc) I legitimately don’t know if there actually are any new features in iOS 17 I can use. :(

The tiny footnotes with the numbers on the IOS17 page do indicate which feature is for what device. Otherwise any apple-aligned site has made lists for that https://9to5mac.com/2023/06/07/ios-17-which-features-work-with-your-iphone/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SlowBloke posted:

The tiny footnotes with the numbers on the IOS17 page do indicate which feature is for what device. Otherwise any apple-aligned site has made lists for that https://9to5mac.com/2023/06/07/ios-17-which-features-work-with-your-iphone/
Thanks for the link! I was hoping to at least get autocorrect being less bad but even that requires a newer phone, so I don’t actually think there’s anything I can use from the new OS without buying a new phone or headphones. :(

I really can’t believe that they can’t just have older phones leave the screen on for the nightstand display mode given that it’s only active while the device is on charge anyway.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Standby is the only thing so far that won’t “work” for me on the 13p but that’s fine. I wasn’t planning to upgrade till the 16 anyways.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

I really can’t believe that they can’t just have older phones leave the screen on for the nightstand display mode given that it’s only active while the device is on charge anyway.

OLED screens have finite lifespans, keeping it on just for the standby images means the screen could theoretically die before the average warranty period. Always on means the phone will send the images every now and then to the screen instead of constantly, letting the screen manage refreshing and so on which will waste less lifetime of the consumables.

Apple watch has a "off until you shake the device/tap the table" mode which is perfectly fine and i'm expecting the same for the phone.

Or we could go back to the glory days of speaker + watch docks of yore https://www.philips.com.hk/en/c-p/AJ7030D_12/alarm-clock-radio-for-ipod-iphone

EDIT: found my old 30pin dock for my ipad that did exactly the same things https://www.amazon.com/iHome-Docking-Speaker-iPhone-Packaging/dp/B00MOQ07XI

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 14, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The first thing I’m doing when I buy a new iPhone that supports the always on screen is disabling the always on screen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mean that seems a bit melodramatic but you do you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

The first thing I’m doing when I buy a new iPhone that supports the always on screen is disabling the always on screen.

….why? It doesn’t hurt battery life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the always on screen rules

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Janitors gonna janitor.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a way to set up the nightstand layout without actually putting the phone on a charger and holding it sideways? I don’t see it in Settings > stand by.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a way to set up the nightstand layout without actually putting the phone on a charger and holding it sideways? I don’t see it in Settings > stand by.

I believe that’s the only way it turns on. I’m an idiot though so I could be wrong.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Duckman2008 posted:

Because it's an OLED screen.

Give me a micro-LED one, and I consider it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Apple watches have been always on OLEDs for years and they are fine?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Macichne Leainig posted:

Apple watches have been always on OLEDs for years and they are fine?

They have lot of life extending safeguards, starting from not having 24/7 standby images during charging.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Samsungs have had OLED always on displays for years and they are fine aside from immolating themselves in your pocket or having the Androids?

I mean do what you want with your phone, I don't give a poo poo, it just seems like an extremely arbitrary line to draw for a feature that works completely fine

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Gonna have to ask how many iPhone 14s you’ve gone through over the last 10 months seeing as how this was the first generation to have it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There’s no way to do it outside of putting it on a MagSafe stand sideways.

(At least for now, but I wouldn’t expect that to change)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Combat Pretzel posted:

Lmao

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have no utility of AOD, so why should I impair the OLED screen, with what prone to wearing out eventually. I guess in your world, there's no thing like burn-in? Then again, there's also people that claim to not see the difference between cinematic framerates and say 60fps.

But thanks for your insightful rebuttal.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oled screen life has improved year over year, to the point you need to run them for around 4000 hours on a static image to get noticeable image retention, and that's without using measures to prevent it.

And if you run dark mode religiously, most of the pixels won't be on in the first place, lasting even longer. This also extends battery life. You can get 25-50% longer battery life versus an led of the same size.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 14, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

withak posted:

Janitors gonna janitor.

My buddy gave AOD a fair shake on his 14 Pro but for him it was less about battery/janitoring and more about it being a visual distraction, which I understand. I guess you can train yourself out of it like anything else but I did the same thing to my Apple Watch S8. I just found myself looking at the screen more to see if something came in since it was “on”.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have no utility of AOD, so why should I impair the OLED screen, with what prone to wearing out eventually. I guess in your world, there's no thing like burn-in? Then again, there's also people that claim to not see the difference between cinematic framerates and say 60fps.

But thanks for your insightful rebuttal.
You’re not impairing the screen. Always on OLED displays use .0006% power and would have to run non-stop for 900 years to equal the amount of decay/burn-in caused by having your screen at full brightness for 2 seconds.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

AOD’s rule.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

buglord posted:

My buddy gave AOD a fair shake on his 14 Pro but for him it was less about battery/janitoring and more about it being a visual distraction, which I understand. I guess you can train yourself out of it like anything else but I did the same thing to my Apple Watch S8. I just found myself looking at the screen more to see if something came in since it was “on”.

I have a decent amount of friends who turned off their Watch's AOD and often wondered why, the benefit for me is being able to glance down and actually see the time without having to move my wrist or whatever - I can't say it being always-on makes me pay attention to it more.

I'm heavily reliant on vibration forcing my attention, so the AOD really doesn't come into play for me. Hell, I even turned off my iPhone's vibration, even when it's silent, so it's only the most important notifications that vibrate through to my watch at this point - bye bye phantom vibrations.

Even if I had an iPhone had an AOD, I'd keep the feature on but keep my phone's display face down when it's resting on a desk. The AoD nightstand mode would definitely be something I'd use, though.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 14, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

Gonna have to ask how many iPhone 14s you’ve gone through over the last 10 months seeing as how this was the first generation to have it.

iPhone 14 pros. Not every 14 has it. :spergin:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Who cares about burn-in, just get a new phone every year.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s going to annoy me sitting there on the desk staring at me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I have a 12 pro. That’s why I said ‘when I buy a phone that supports it’

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s going to annoy me sitting there on the desk staring at me.

It sounds like you won't even need to consider a Pro model when you upgrade - you don't care about AoD, nor do you notice the difference between the 120hz display compared to 60hz. $300 more for just an extra camera lense would seem pretty silly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

It sounds like you won't even need to consider a Pro model when you upgrade - you don't care about AoD, nor do you notice the difference between the 120hz display compared to 60hz. $300 more for just an extra camera lense would seem pretty silly.

I care about people not seeing me out and about with the peasant edition though. And last generation the non pro had an older cpu than the pro.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I care about people not seeing me out and about with the peasant edition though.

Praying and pleading that this is you being facetious, but holy smokes if it’s not and you actually give a poo poo about that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If I see somebody with an iPhone pro but a non-Ultra Apple Watch I know for sure they’re just a poser.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I care about people not seeing me out and about with the peasant edition though. And last generation the non pro had an older cpu than the pro.

Strangers will see that the AOD is off and assume it's an older peasant model :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Imagine being a poor who handles their own phone in public and not having one of your assistants do it for you lmao