Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Got any advice for someone who's got a new player who is going to be playing a melee rogue?

Delaying your turn until after a melee teammate often lets you just move to a flanking position and get in 2 sneak attacks.

As opposed to wasting actions doing Twin Feints and Tumble Throughs or whatever to try and "OFF GUARD" the enemy by yourself.

edit: added the quote because top of the page shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

If you have a wizard in the group, you can try to get them to cast synchronize steps on you and another melee. That way you both can take reactions to move to set up flanking for sneak attacks.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

gurragadon posted:

If you have a wizard in the group, you can try to get them to cast synchronize steps on you and another melee. That way you both can take reactions to move to set up flanking for sneak attacks.

This poo poo is wild, thanks.

Thanks for great advice everyone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This is a pretty good video about how Stealth functions in Pathfinder 2e and helped me break through a couple of conceptual walls, hth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ9M89CQM08

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have a good tl;dr for the strengths weaknesses of spell traditions (Arcane, Primal, Occult, Divine)? I have a player looking to play a Witch and they're trying to decide which Patron to take.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does anyone have a good tl;dr for the strengths weaknesses of spell traditions (Arcane, Primal, Occult, Divine)? I have a player looking to play a Witch and they're trying to decide which Patron to take.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/ir6tki/comment/g4wumx7/

TL;DR

Arcane: Matter and Mind

Occult: Spirit and Mind

Divine: Spirit and Life

Primal: Matter and Life

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Primal: Strong elemental blasting; decent healing and support. Not many good options for targeting will saves, and fort options are poison heavy. Good for a Nature Witch.

Occult: Solid buffs and support, and some of the best control options in the game. Tons of great will targeting options. Illusions/charms/enchantment type stuff lives here. Probably your most 'classic' witch spells are going to be here. Direct damage and blasting are very lacking.

Divine: Best buffs/heals/support, but struggles mightily with direct damage unless you have alignment options to play with. Will become much stronger in the remaster once alignment based spells all get reworked, but for now, if you want the Divine list, you probably know you want the divine list. Divine witch does introduce some cool flavor stuff though.

Arcane: The best defense is a good offense, which is good, because this is the only list with absolutely no healing options. Defense and support in general is a weakness of this list, but it has some of the best utility spells (especially out of combat utility), and of course, the absolute creme de la creme of offense and blasting all lives within the Arcane tradition. It's your classic wizard list, with all that that entails.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Didn't they admit that they never finished the witch because something happened to the designer and it was shipped underbaked?

I think it is the weakest caster in a system that is full of well-balanced casters that aren't overpowered like those you find in other games. It is probably going to feel especially bad as an introduction to pf2e from 5ed.

If the player is completely new and doesn't have caster-supremacy baggage from D&D, you'll probably be fine. Otherwise, sorcerer is just so much better.

Witch is supposed to be getting fixed in November.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Pathfinder is a teamwork focused game so it depends on what the other characters are as well.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Mechayahiko posted:

Pathfinder is a teamwork focused game so it depends on what the other characters are as well.

So far a Druid, Rogue, Barbarian, Witch, and possibly 1 TBD

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The problem with the Witch is that it's basically a worse version of a different casting class, because it doesn't get much in the way of class features aside from generic prepared spellcasting. This is most obvious when you compare an arcane Witch to a Wizard; you're effectively locked into the Improved Familiar Attunement Arcane Thesis, you lose the extra spell slot per level from your school, and you get Phase Familiar instead of a spell school focus spell. Are Discern Secrets and an extra starting skill really worth all that?

With a primal or divine Witch the comparison is less direct, but you're still clearly worse than a Cleric or Druid. In particular, you still have to learn spells individually like a Wizard instead of knowing all the common divine or primal spells automatically, and Intelligence is less useful than Wisdom in PF2.

If you're a occult Witch...well, the Bard gets better class-specific cantrips than you, more HP, better (though still not very good) weapons and armor, and doesn't have to predict which spells he'll need in advance. He normally has to learn heightened versions of spells separately, but this is partially mitigated by signature spells.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As a Witch player, yes, they're definitely weaker than most other caster classes, but in PF2e that still means you get to hold you own to be fair. Looking forward to the way they're reworked with the Remaster though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So far a Druid, Rogue, Barbarian, Witch, and possibly 1 TBD

Hopefully the TBD doesn't choose Bard because those two classes can overlap hard and the Bard comes out superior.

The problem with Witch is they balanced the class as if the familiar abilities are worth the power nerf of the other aspects when familiars suck actually so it's just a nerf for no reason. Hopefully they fix that in the remaster, preferably by moving away from familiar garbage(they won't they're going to tweak familiars to make them "better" but I just don't think that's possible).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Epi Lepi posted:

Hopefully the TBD doesn't choose Bard because those two classes can overlap hard and the Bard comes out superior.

The problem with Witch is they balanced the class as if the familiar abilities are worth the power nerf of the other aspects when familiars suck actually so it's just a nerf for no reason. Hopefully they fix that in the remaster, preferably by moving away from familiar garbage(they won't they're going to tweak familiars to make them "better" but I just don't think that's possible).

The familiar is a big part of the flavor though. They aren't going to get rid of that. Some players really really like having a pet.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

The familiar is a big part of the flavor though. They aren't going to get rid of that. Some players really really like having a pet.

This is why the player wants Witch over Wizard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

my witch player is greatly amused by how the class lets them recover their familiar every day so they use it as a trapfinding device in the abomination vaults. "this is the source of your power? what do you do with it?" "Get it blown up once every 24h"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
They seem to be moving towards more emphasis on familiars in the Remaster, though some people on the Paizo forums don't like that very much and feel they should make hexes more powerful instead.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hexes are definitely more flavorful, yeah.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah sure but the familiars don't really do a whole lot. Paizo needs to either really bump up the usefulness of familiars or acknowledge that Hexes should be more effective.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Honestly, the upcoming "recover all focus points as one downtime action" change should make hexes a lot better by itself, and opens up feat choices you'd otherwise spend on recovering more focus points on more interesting things. Focusing on making familiars good as more than a flavor thing is definitely what they should focus on, because that's the part that needs the help getting to a good baseline after the upcoming system changes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You still won't be able to recover all your focus points with a single 10 minute refocus without a feat, you'll just be able to recover more than one in between encounters without those feats.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Hellioning posted:

You still won't be able to recover all your focus points with a single 10 minute refocus without a feat, you'll just be able to recover more than one in between encounters without those feats.

Oh, misremembered the proposed change. Still, I think my point stands. Hexes need some buffs for the worst options and some system-level changes, and familiars need some actual dev attention to be a part of the class that's worth mentioning.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Alright, so stupid question, but is a character supposed to get all of their class features as they level up? I've been assuming they do but I'm seeing some things that are worded like they don't. Like Oracles have Light Armor Expertise, Lightning Reflexes, and Weapon Specialization all at level 13; is the idea that the player has to choose one of these things? Because one of the Oracle's curse specializations has the phrase "At 13th level, if you gain the lightning reflexes class feature...", unless that's a clause meant for characters who pick up a curse via Oracle Dedication.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Alright, so stupid question, but is a character supposed to get all of their class features as they level up? I've been assuming they do but I'm seeing some things that are worded like they don't. Like Oracles have Light Armor Expertise, Lightning Reflexes, and Weapon Specialization all at level 13; is the idea that the player has to choose one of these things? Because one of the Oracle's curse specializations has the phrase "At 13th level, if you gain the lightning reflexes class feature...", unless that's a clause meant for characters who pick up a curse via Oracle Dedication.

You automatically gain anything that's a class feature. However you only get a certain amount of class feats.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Scrap Dragon posted:

It's always going to happen, but it's leaving room for if a future class archetype trades it away.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Scrap Dragon posted:

unless that's a clause meant for characters who pick up a curse via Oracle Dedication.

looking at this again, I think this is exactly it. If you pick Oracle as an archetype you get to pick a Mystery, and the Mystery of Flames contains this wording:

quote:

At 13th level, if you gain the lightning reflexes class feature, your proficiency rank for Reflex saves increases to master, and when you roll a success on a Reflex save, you get a critical success instead.

That's quite a lot to just give away on an archetype so they want to make sure you have the actual class.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Or lightning reflexes from another class.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It’s a roundabout way of giving Evasion only to people who didn’t already have Evasion.

If you gain Lightning Reflexes, that means your Reflex saves started at Trained, and you aren’t going to gain Evasion/Master Reflex saves.

Basically what the mystery is saying is “if you wouldn’t normally get this, you can get it,” and, perhaps just as importantly, “if you would normally get this at a later level, you can’t use this archetype to get it early” (for example, Alchemists don’t pick up Evasion until level 15. But since they start at Expert, they never have lightning reflexes. So an Oracle archetype isn’t helpful here.)

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 14, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Lamuella posted:

looking at this again, I think this is exactly it. If you pick Oracle as an archetype you get to pick a Mystery, and the Mystery of Flames contains this wording:

That's quite a lot to just give away on an archetype so they want to make sure you have the actual class.

You cannot get the Mystery Benefit from the archetype. For good reason - imagine if you could get the Cosmos benefit via archetyping, for instance.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cyouni posted:

It's always going to happen, but it's leaving room for if a future class archetype trades it away.

That's not how archetypes work in this edition though. It could be future proofing in case they introduce subclasses or a feat that gives up your class feature, or it could be a remnant from early in design where they were considering keeping the 1e version of archetypes.

I thought it might be related to the dual-classed characters variant rule, but my reading of how they explain overlapping features suggests that the an Oracle would still gain Lightning Reflexes at level 13 even if they had that level of reflex save from an earlier level from another class, it just wouldn't do anything. They reference gaining Alertness as a Cleric/Ranger, for example.

My best guess is that they just wanted to leave open the design space for sacrificing class features without it breaking progression on skills, or in case they open some way for you to get mystery benefits through other sources.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Taciturn Tactician posted:

That's not how archetypes work in this edition though. It could be future proofing in case they introduce subclasses or a feat that gives up your class feature, or it could be a remnant from early in design where they were considering keeping the 1e version of archetypes.

Note that I specified class archetype, aka the 1e version.

quote:

Archetypes with the class trait are a fundamental divergence from your class's specialties, but one that exists within the context of your class. You can select a class archetype only if your class meets the criteria listed in the archetype's prerequisites. Class archetypes always alter or replace some of a class's static class features, in addition to any new feats they offer. It may be possible to take a class archetype at 1st level if it alters or replaces some of the class's initial class features. In that case, you must take that archetype's dedication feat at 2nd level, and after that you proceed normally. You can never have more than one class archetype.

Note that it has the potential to alter/replace static class features, like say...Lightning Reflexes.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cyouni posted:

Note that I specified class archetype, aka the 1e version.

Note that it has the potential to alter/replace static class features, like say...Lightning Reflexes.

Huh, I didn't actually know that was in the description for class archtypes, since the existing ones are more about altering than actually just removing features as a cost. My bad!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Huh, I didn't actually know that was in the description for class archtypes, since the existing ones are more about altering than actually just removing features as a cost. My bad!

Not really your bad. 1e rules are rarely relevant to discussions about 2e, especially in this case where archetypes are already their own thing in 2e.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

How do people like the Battlezoo Bestiary monster crafting? And more importantly does the Foundry module work reasonably well?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

It's hard to blame someone for not knowing all of class archetype details when after four years, we have five of them. Four of which are really just casting alterations, and one of which is Spellshot. (The one where it's sole distinguishing factor from another Way is that it changes class DC to Int and makes you take the Dedication.)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So it looks like Nonat1's put out a short, for him, video on the Kineticist. This time it was on the first level Impulse feats for Wood and Metal as those two elements weren't in the Kineticist playtest. Still probably most of a week or so until he does the full deep dive on the class, but at that point Subscribers should probably have their PDFs.

Here is the video if anyone wants to check it out.

While I was looking forward to a Fire Kineticist based off usually liking pyro builds and what I had heard about their junctions I am also really curious about a Conrasu Wood Element Kineticist.

Have a feat to create a tree. A feat to create an apple or nut that provides some healing that scales 1d4+5 every other level, would have expected 1d4+1 as that is the base amount. A feat to create medium armor and shield, metal has something similar but their shield is hardier but also shatters on a crit, that scales off your best armor proficiency. A 2 action overflow feat, so potentially usable every round, to deal 1d4 piercing and bleed damage in a cone, that scales both damage types by 1d4 every other level. So 10d4 piercing and 10d4 bleed at 19th level. With a Basic Reflex save. It sounds like a crit fail would probably also double the bleed damage.

EDIT: Oh. Uh I thought PDFs were going out on the 17th for Rage of Elements. But uh saw people on Reddit mentioning already having it, and I just checked my digital downloads and I guess I know what I am doing for the rest of the night.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 15, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I recall they fire off your PDF when it ships, if you have that going. For anyone who doesn't have a subscription, it's the 17th.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I thought the 17th was when it was going to ship for the Subscription, and that the waves of PDFs would start then, but I may have been mistaken. Not going to complain about having it now instead of the 17th or later.

Might complain about not being able to immediately build one in Pathbuilder.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah I thought the 17th was when it was going to ship for the Subscription, and that the waves of PDFs would start then, but I may have been mistaken. Not going to complain about having it now instead of the 17th or later.

Might complain about not being able to immediately build one in Pathbuilder.

They fired off shipments for Rage a few days early because Gencon is Coming etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Mine isn't in my download yet :(