Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Boxturret posted:

Didn't Amy go blind at one point in that two parter and had to pretend that she could see, and the angels slowly realised that she couldn't actually see and started moving a bit? Kinda messed up the ending of Blink, if their becoming stone was more of a choice when they think they're being seen rather than an automatic thing.

I figured it's a reflex for them. Like the world's most extreme form of flinching

If not for that one scene, it could be that when they're not in stone form, they are actually quantum entities. When not observed, they exist in a superposition of all possible locations that they could have reached at their top speed within that time frame, and looking at them collapses the waveform. But that doesn't account for them turning to stone when they only think they're being observed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

armpit_enjoyer posted:

That would require writers to engage with the core concept of the Cybermen and thus far nobody but Steven Moffat seemed willing to do it (and even then he got bored with it halfway through The Doctor Falls)

I watched Earthshock the other night and it struck me just how... badly the Cybermen get handled even in what's considered their best TV stories. They're just Guys in Suits in their later appearances. Their whole concept works only when you acknowledge and explore the fact that despite what has been done to them, they're still people, not just interchangeable drones.

Yeah they're just a huge missed opportunity whenever they're on TV. I suspect the main issue is that the properly affecting stuff about them is the body horror which you can't really do at 7pm in an ostensibly family show. The best you can manage is James Corden being forced to wear a hat.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah they're just a huge missed opportunity whenever they're on TV. I suspect the main issue is that the properly affecting stuff about them is the body horror which you can't really do at 7pm in an ostensibly family show. The best you can manage is James Corden being forced to wear a hat.

And that’s *another* thing! I hate how the Cybermen are just Guys In Suits. Robocop came out 36 years ago and you’re telling me we can’t do anything even half as convincing as that with modern VFX?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I would loving LOVE stop-motion cybermen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Coward posted:

I would loving LOVE stop-motion cybermen.

Don't tease me with things they won't give me!

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

armpit_enjoyer posted:

And that’s *another* thing! I hate how the Cybermen are just Guys In Suits. Robocop came out 36 years ago and you’re telling me we can’t do anything even half as convincing as that with modern VFX?

I don't want fancy Cybermen, I want silently screaming corpses in body bags with robot bits forcing them around.

Stop motion Mondas-stylee FTW

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

I've always imagined a scene where The Doctor comes across a battlefield, and it's just thousands of Weeping Angel statues, and before each one stands a Cyberman, forever unmoving.

Now thats a great idea.
The Angels would win in the end as they Cybermen would deteriorate quicker over time.
So the Doctor is just landing as when one Cyberman is about to topple over, the first domino to fall, and after that the Weeping Angels will massacre them and then the Tardis.
And its the Cybermen who called and trapped the Doc there, to help save them.
What does the Doc do?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

This would be fantastic because a stalemate would be a total victory for the Cybermen, since so long as they are surviving* then they have won.

* They muzt survive. THEY MUZZZZT!

The saddest thing is the Cybermen never realized that if the just hosed off, and colonized a barren planet, and never bothered anyone, they WOULD survive. But that human part of them that remains is compelled to propagate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I say it a lot but the second episode of Human Resources where the 8th Doctor keeps demanding to know WHY they must survive and the Cybermen's inability to do anything but fall back on the stock response is like the most genuinely perfect Cybermen moment in any and all Doctor Who media I've ever experienced. Closest thing to it is that amazing scene from Tomb of the Cybermen where the Cyber-Controller is trying to force the door to stay open as Toberman forces it closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvE3EaP-RuA&t=66s

"WE MUZT SURVIVE! WE MUZZZZZZT!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ncuti’s first season has now wrapped! :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please RTD.... I need new Who..... :negative:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Christmas special is just the entire new season back to back

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

happyhippy posted:

Now thats a great idea.
The Angels would win in the end as they Cybermen would deteriorate quicker over time.
So the Doctor is just landing as when one Cyberman is about to topple over, the first domino to fall, and after that the Weeping Angels will massacre them and then the Tardis.
And its the Cybermen who called and trapped the Doc there, to help save them.
What does the Doc do?

"It's a slow war, y'see... looks like they're not moving but they ARE, they're moving so slowly your human eyes can't even register it, my superior Time Lord eyes though... can't see it either, but I assure you they ARE moving, what happens when they start to break down though?

...You use CHILDREN!? "

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I always assumed the reason the Cybermen can't just gently caress off onto a planet and stay there is because they still have a bunch of organic components that can't be replaced or repaired, so they're still mortal; they can't reproduce on their own, so the only way to keep the species going is to keep converting people.

Which leads me to think of a story taking place on a Cybermen farm planet, where a captive population is kept and maintained just as conversion fodder. I wonder if Big Finish ever did anything like that

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Top tip for aspiring DW writers: when writing an episode featuring one or the other of them, it helps to remember that the Daleks are basically Nazis and the Cybermen are somewhat akin to Soviet Communists. The Daleks are obsessed with the purity of their race (even if, as seen in later episodes, they are somewhat hypocritical about it), while the Cybermen don't care who you are or where you came from, as all beings are potential converts to their way of life (and if you refuse to convert, you will be destroyed).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I always assumed the reason the Cybermen can't just gently caress off onto a planet and stay there is because they still have a bunch of organic components that can't be replaced or repaired, so they're still mortal; they can't reproduce on their own, so the only way to keep the species going is to keep converting people.

Which leads me to think of a story taking place on a Cybermen farm planet, where a captive population is kept and maintained just as conversion fodder. I wonder if Big Finish ever did anything like that

There was Virgin Missing Adventure, "Killing Ground", that had that premise

But if the Cybermen could learn the art of cloning organic parts ...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was tangential to the episode itself but I loved that scene during 11's run (might have been in The Pandorica Opens?) when Amy and the Doctor are in a room with an ancient Cyberman corpse's with a decapitated head, and the body comes to "life" to kill them. Amy has hold of the head when suddenly it springs open and a skull falls out, and the "head" is basically straining against her arms trying to force her head inside so it can replace the missing "part".

I loved that body horror aspect. That further proof that the original need for the Mondasians to survive had been replaced with a meaningless imperative whereby the survival of the unit (and more importantly, the collective) was the only important thing, and everything else was replaceable. If you asked a Cyberman that had been around since the original days of Mondas they'd probably claim to be the original unit, just with every single aspect of their organic parts replaced dozens of times over!

Give me Cybership of Theseus, RTD!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

How the angels were later depicted doesn't really fit with their first appearance, which is weird since Mofat invented them.

The lonely assassins, they used to be called. No one quite knows where they came from, but they’re as old as the universe, or very nearly, and they have survived this long because they have the most perfect defence system ever evolved. They are quantum-locked. They don’t exist when they’re being observed. The moment they are seen by any other living creature, they freeze into rock. No choice. It’s a fact of their biology. In the sight of any living thing, they literally turn to stone. And you can’t kill a stone. Of course, a stone can’t kill you either. But then you turn your head away, then you blink, and oh yes it can… That’s why they cover their eyes. They’re not weeping. They can’t risk looking at each other. Their greatest asset is their greatest curse. They can never be seen. The loneliest creatures in the universe.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Give me Cybership of Theseus, RTD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5MBlH8t3f0

:v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn Capaldi was so loving good. Deep Breath's first half was awful but then it kicked into gear and it just got better and better as it went along.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The look to the camera at the end is great.

"Hi, I'm the new Doctor - and I will literally murder to protect Earth" :stare:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn Capaldi was so loving good. Deep Breath's first half was awful but then it kicked into gear and it just got better and better as it went along.

It's a bizarre episode. Simultaneously one of the worst and one of the best.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Top tip for aspiring DW writers: when writing an episode featuring one or the other of them, it helps to remember that the Daleks are basically Nazis and the Cybermen are somewhat akin to Soviet Communists. The Daleks are obsessed with the purity of their race (even if, as seen in later episodes, they are somewhat hypocritical about it), while the Cybermen don't care who you are or where you came from, as all beings are potential converts to their way of life (and if you refuse to convert, you will be destroyed).

No need to mention they're hypocritical about it, fascism focused on racial purity is always and inherently hypocritical

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

He was so good. I can't think of a good moment in Whittaker's run where she just talked and captured the room - I rewatched the Zygon double and Capaldi had me on the edge of my seat during his antiwar speech.

This moment in Deep Breath too where he starts out by saying he's afraid he's going to have to kill the villan, and does so just by taking to him about the reality of his situation.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I think I've said it before but the turning point is the restaurant scene. Everything before is bad and everything after is good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Basically the moment their table starts lowering it's like an entirely different writer took over. It's crazy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That moment where the Doctor is calling Clara/Me to tell us to not give on the Doctor -- really great moment for a transitional doctor episode.

I should start a rewatch before the new Who kicks up, I will try to pay more attention to episode titles so I can't put a feeling to a title better.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy 6 year anniversary to Thirteen

Feels like we hardly knew ye

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
While the Whittaker Era was uneven there were definitely episodes I enjoyed. And Whittaker herself, brilliant, marvelous.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Honestly, I'd happily trade the entire era for, let's say, a copy of episode 3 of The Daleks Master Plan. And I'm not even sure if that's a missing episode or not, that's how little I care. There were 2 or 3 good episodes I guess, but the entire format of the show felt off. Junk the masters, keep the audio recordings in the grand Doctor Who tradition, and let wasteland scavengers 100 years from now huddle around a scratched first-generation iPod, listening to the audio from that episode with Tesla accompanied by a slideshow of various press photos, and go, "Well, it's hard to judge the episode based on the audio alone, maybe the visuals were really engaging?"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Happy 6 year anniversary to Thirteen

Feels like we hardly knew ye

31 episodes total since Christmas 2017.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Do we know when the first of the specials will air yet? The anniversary date the 23 of November would he a good bet right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maybe before then. The second one, Wild Blue Yonder, appears to be the actual 60th anniversary special.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Senor Tron posted:

And you can’t kill a stone.

IT WAS MURDERED

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

How the angels were later depicted doesn't really fit with their first appearance, which is weird since Mofat invented them.

It's very funny that so so many BF plays sort of take this idea of being "seen" very literally, when it's really the idea of them being "observed". So you'll have characters holding onto Angels, observing them with security devices, etc. but that doesn't really count because only the naked eye counts. Even Flesh and Stone gets this (maybe?) kind of wrong, with Jorah Mormont being trapped in a headlock. That seems like a stalemate.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/mwtroughton/status/1681224886243426309?t=70mZdYtI6Q2K0cwLUyK1pw&s=19

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1681355661249069058

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd like to but you bastards won't release the episodes for like another thousand years

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There’s also a Doctor picture where he’s rizzed up like Baby Gronk.

Am I saying that properly? :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1681363214636810255?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:stwoon:

I would like to go with the Doctor please