Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Captain Invictus posted:

or these weird plastic things that appear to be made from like, the oldest plastic ever made. just is definitely plastic, but definitely unbelievably old.

Vintage Bakelite stuff feels and looks like plastic (e: and apparently is a type of plastic, til) but is very collectible and in demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Bit of an odd, very small question. I have an LG Stylo 6 (pretty cheap) phone that's a few years old, but I don't think the specific model is important as I've seen this with other android phones. I always keep the phone plugged in to power at my desk at work. Often, I will turn on the screen after several hours to see if I have any messages, and the clock will display a time that is a few minutes behind the actual time, and then within about a second, the time will catch up and display the correct time. I could understand if the last time I looked at my phone was lunch for example, and then at 5, the time switched from 12:00 to 5:00. But usually when this happens, it will show 4:57 and then go to 5:00. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

maybe I should make a thread.

I'd read it

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What is the correct search term for buying a big fluffy blankety thing that goes on the bed but is not a separate doona + doona cover but rather all one thing? I would have thought quilt but that gives me the same plain white thing that goes in a cover. Blanket brings up much thinner things than what a doona/quilt is.

I'm in Australia in case this is a regional weirdness.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
A bedspread?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hm searching that brings up "comforter" which seems to have more results when I search that. I guess it's those two, thanks!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cell phones used to cause interference in speakers and made them go bap bidap, bap bidap, bap bidap when a call was coming in or out. Now they don't do that anymore, even in my same old computer speakers that definitely used to. So what changed in the cell phone signals to make them not do that anymore?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

alnilam posted:

Cell phones used to cause interference in speakers and made them go bap bidap, bap bidap, bap bidap when a call was coming in or out. Now they don't do that anymore, even in my same old computer speakers that definitely used to. So what changed in the cell phone signals to make them not do that anymore?
There have also been other improvements but I think the big one is frequency hopping, which has been around since the 90s as part of GSM but not all carriers used it until more recently. Basically instead of broadcasting all of your data on one frequency you split the data stream up into tiny chunks and send each one out on a slightly different frequency within your allocated band. This is mostly to prevent other things from interfering with your cell signal, but it goes both ways.

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica

misguided rage posted:

There have also been other improvements but I think the big one is frequency hopping, which has been around since the 90s as part of GSM but not all carriers used it until more recently. Basically instead of broadcasting all of your data on one frequency you split the data stream up into tiny chunks and send each one out on a slightly different frequency within your allocated band. This is mostly to prevent other things from interfering with your cell signal, but it goes both ways.

A cursory google once told me that this is also part of why bluetooth kinda sucks and fails a lot, because the bluetooth band is so small it gets interfered with easily.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey I've noticed lately a lot of goons lately are spelling "our" as "are" and it feels intentional. I can't find a reason in in the SAclopedia, and am not sure where else I could ask that could clue me in to the joke...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Miles Blundell posted:

A cursory google once told me that this is also part of why bluetooth kinda sucks and fails a lot, because the bluetooth band is so small it gets interfered with easily.

Myself and one of the people I could escalate really hairy desktop support tickets to go one of these. It turns out that one of the relatively common forms of BT interference comes from... USB3 devices. We spent weeks trying to help this poor woman. We reimaged her laptop. We swapped her laptop. We swapped her peripherals. It came down to "cope, or get a new keyboard and mouse".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

Hey I've noticed lately a lot of goons lately are spelling "our" as "are" and it feels intentional. I can't find a reason in in the SAclopedia, and am not sure where else I could ask that could clue me in to the joke...

It's either Americans with poor literacy skills ("are" and "our" sound the same in American - see also "make due" for "make do") or people making fun of Americans with poor literacy skills.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It's either Americans with poor literacy skills ("are" and "our" sound the same in American - see also "make due" for "make do") or people making fun of Americans with poor literacy skills.

On these forums, probably the latter, and at a guess, it's all derived from "are troops".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Nah Brits do it about our small-minded racist morons too. This ARE COUNTRY forrins out, etc.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CzarChasm posted:

Bit of an odd, very small question. I have an LG Stylo 6 (pretty cheap) phone that's a few years old, but I don't think the specific model is important as I've seen this with other android phones. I always keep the phone plugged in to power at my desk at work. Often, I will turn on the screen after several hours to see if I have any messages, and the clock will display a time that is a few minutes behind the actual time, and then within about a second, the time will catch up and display the correct time. I could understand if the last time I looked at my phone was lunch for example, and then at 5, the time switched from 12:00 to 5:00. But usually when this happens, it will show 4:57 and then go to 5:00. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Your phone (and most other computer-like devices) has an internal clock that's always ticking, even when the screen is off. However it's apparently a bit crap and constantly drifting.

That 3 minute jump is probably your phone syncing up with Internet time and correcting its clock drift.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Your phone (and most other computer-like devices) has an internal clock that's always ticking, even when the screen is off. However it's apparently a bit crap and constantly drifting.

That 3 minute jump is probably your phone syncing up with Internet time and correcting its clock drift.

Losing three minutes in five hours would be well beyond "a bit crap". I think it's a lot more likely that the job to update the time shown on the screen just doesn't run very often when the screen is off. So when you hit the button, for a moment you see the result of the last run a few minutes ago, until it runs again to show the new current time (and now that the screen is on again, it starts running very frequently).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just bought a Ring indoor camera, during setup, the speaker was letting Alexa talk to me (stuff like "Update now installing", "Setup complete", etc.). I have put this in a room where my birds sleep, and I want to make 1000% sure this device doesn't start talking loudly in the middle of the night and freaking them out. So can someone tell me either:

1) How to disable the speaker function entirely (so it cannot even project audio)
2) What causes the device to use it's loudspeaker

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Q: is there a SA thread for music production?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Faucet Drinker posted:

Q: is there a SA thread for music production?

There's a forum for musicians.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Huh. Thank you. My follow up is where is that? I was embarrassed for second to miss that but it doesn't show up in my forums list, so as a relief I'm not just blind

Edit: my mobile app list anyways, haven't checked for it on desktop

Edit edit: oh I see at the very end of the description for Discusso. Thank you, I am indeed blind

Edit 3: for the record I'm still brain dead and can't figure out how on mobile I actually get to ML from NMD.

Faucet Drinker fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 16, 2023

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a skincare thread?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

obi_ant posted:

Is there a skincare thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3379410&pagenumber=70&perpage=40

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is there gonna be a third South Park RPG?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

which impact could not possibly have been foreseen at the time

Like most liberal myths, this one folds under almost immediate scrutiny.

Here’s an article about several pamphlets about this poo poo from the 18th century.

https://theconversation.com/car-free-paris-it-was-already-a-dream-in-1790-105597

If you mean consequences like emissions, Eunice Foote discovered that co2 is emitted by combustion and traps heat in the 1840s. John Tyndall gets the credit for fully describing the greenhouse effect in 1861.

So clearly many people in many places foresaw many of the consequences of cars at least a full generation before they became commonplace in the early 20th century.

The more I read about history, the more I learn that “nobody could have foreseen” is only an effort by the powerful to keep their heads. Because every single time, we foresaw and they refused to act.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I always rinse pop bottles and cans after drinking them, because I don't want them to get moldy or attract ants or wherever while they wait in the recycling bin. But I just realized, I drink mostly diet/sugar-free pop, do I need to do that? There's no calories in there for the ants, would they just leave it alone?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Trapick posted:

I always rinse pop bottles and cans after drinking them, because I don't want them to get moldy or attract ants or wherever while they wait in the recycling bin. But I just realized, I drink mostly diet/sugar-free pop, do I need to do that? There's no calories in there for the ants, would they just leave it alone?

How are the ants supposed to know that there are no calories? The drinks smell sweet all the same. It might be that they're sensitive enough to tell the difference between sugar and some artificial sweeteners, but in combination with other ingredients, I think they're still going to be attracted.

In fact, attracting insects to drinks without any calories may be a great way to exhaust them or maybe even kill them. They do all the work of getting there and drinking, and there's no reward.

I've got a question of my own too:

My phone battery lasts much longer when I charge it using my laptop charger (likely a 45w charger, but the brick is underneath my bed so I'm not going to check) than when I charge it using a wireless charger.

Is what I'm seeing a software thing with the charging being limited or something, or is it really in the hardware of the battery?

Phone is a Pixel 5 if it matters

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

I read a long while ago that one trick that modern software sometimes uses to appear very speedy is to display an screenshot of a piece of software from the last time you used it for a fraction of a second while it loads up the real thing. Perhaps this is it working but slow enough for you to notice due to lack of memory or something?

Can anyone identify these fonts? They're out of an English magazine from the 1990s, so I would imagine they're pretty off the rack sort of fonts. Automatic font sites give millions of free fonts.

One site came up with Helvetica?

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 15, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

Can anyone identify these fonts? They're out of an English magazine from the 1990s, so I would imagine they're pretty off the rack sort of fonts. Automatic font sites give millions of free fonts.

One site came up with Helvetica?

Yes that's Helvetica.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EricBauman posted:

How are the ants supposed to know that there are no calories? The drinks smell sweet all the same.

I’m not sure anything “smells sweet” but if it does I’m pretty sure artificial sweeteners do not since they are just chemicals that trick our sweetness taste buds.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A quick googling suggests that ants are not attracted to artificial sweeteners. Maybe other bugs are. But keep in mind how artificial sweeteners work: they bind to the same sites that sugar does on our taste buds. In order for other animals to read the food as "sweet", they need to have sugar-detecting chemical receptors that work the same way ours do. Certainly not impossible, but given how different insects' other senses are from our own, I'd guess it's far from a guarantee.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There is caramel in diet coke for coloring. Not an awful lot, but still.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What do the lyrics to Stayin Alive mean? Specifically that bit about the New York Times?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tree Bucket posted:

What do the lyrics to Stayin Alive mean? Specifically that bit about the New York Times?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Trapick posted:

If there's no calories in diet soda, how is it still bad for you?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Leave posted:

There's no significant evidence that it is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Leave posted:

There are no calories in mercury but it's still a bad idea to crack open a thermometer and suck down the juices.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

That's not true. I don't have studies on hand but I'm pretty the last decade revealed sweeteners destroy your gut biome, which is something you desperately don't want to happen. We have learned a lot about our emotions being tied the gut biome, it being dead has been tied to a handful of negative symptoms such as depression.

E: destroyed may be the wrong word, alter seems to be the find, I will have to go looking for the studies connecting altered gut biome to emotional states and medical side effects

Faucet Drinker fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 16, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slimy Hog posted:

I'd read it
what subforum would be good for that sort of thread? Ask/tell? Gbs? Not pmf because I'd want help identifying stuff in some cases

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

There are no calories in mercury but it's still a bad idea to crack open a thermometer and suck down the juices.

Which is a non-answer, as the OP was asking what specifically was bad about diet sodas. Last I checked, none of them contain heavy metals. They're basically colorants, artificial sweeteners, and artificial flavorings, all of which have to pass pretty rigorous testing before they can be used in food. That doesn't mean they can't possibly cause harm (since it's well known that e.g. sugar is harmful), but if they do, I suspect it's only if you drink pretty preposterous quantities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Leave posted:

There are some studies that suggest that consuming 0-calorie sweeteners can actually increase appetite and give your body more of a craving for sugary foods, causing weight gain in the long term compared to just drinking unsweetened drinks like water or coffee/tea. (But at least it's less weight gain than sugary soft drinks.)

However, the harvard school of public health says the reasearch is inconclusive

quote:

Low-Calorie Sweeteners and Health

The health effects of LCS [low calorie sweeteners] are inconclusive, with research showing mixed findings. Research is also looking at potential differences in effects from the various types of LCS. The following reviews research specific to LCS beverages.
  • A large observational study of French women showed that both sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs) and LCS beverages were linked with an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes. [4] The authors noted that a high intake of SSBs has been associated with weight gain, possibly due to lower satiety and increased blood sugar and insulin levels, leading to insulin resistance. LCS beverages may also cause weight gain by stimulating appetite and a sweet preference in some people.
  • With observational studies, it should be noted that the theory of reverse causation is also possible (for example, when people who are overweight or have prediabetes begin drinking LCS beverages to improve their blood sugar control, which produces a false association between higher LCS beverage intake and future risk of developing diabetes). Reverse causation may explain the finding from a meta-analysis of 17 cohort studies showing an 18% higher incidence of type 2 diabetes with SSBs and 25% higher incidence with LCS beverages, compared with no intake of these drinks. [5]
    • In a detailed analysis of data from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study, the positive association observed between LCS beverage intake and type 2 diabetes incidence was largely explained by higher baseline BMI and metabolic conditions, which might have led to increased use of LCS beverages in the first place. [6]
  • In three large prospective cohort studies of U.S. men and women, intake of SSBs was associated with an average 3-pound weight gain within each 4-year time period. Substituting the same amount of SSBs with water or LCS beverages was associated with less weight gain (about 1 pound) within each 4-year time span. [7]
  • For adults trying to wean themselves from sugary soda, diet soda is a possible short-term substitute, best used in small amounts over a short period of time. For children, the long-term effects of consuming LCS beverages are unknown, so it’s best for kids to limit their intake. [8]

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 16, 2023