Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm scared to google what this means

Generally its a genre about goons dying and being reborn in lovely dragon quest games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm scared to google what this means
a connecticut yankee in king arthurs court

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Lammasu posted:

Seriously though, Russia outlawed isekai anime.

Huh.

Maybe... Maybe Russia isn't all that bad after all...

Also:

I wasn't even aware Francis was no longer pope.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 15, 2023

Fatman6942!
Jul 3, 2023

by vyelkin

Lammasu posted:

Seriously though, Russia outlawed isekai anime.

Wait What, they didnt want young people thinking getting killed with reincarnate them to a magical world with strong big breasted cat girls?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nah, one nuke into us east 1 aws center would take everything significant in corporate america out

yeah but it's only the terminally uncool operators who are in us-east-1. so we'll all die but the places that actually paid designers will still be kicking until the power plants fall offline

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Do you think Biden or any other western leaders will get any Ukranian statues out of this? I know Clinton got one over Bosnia.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lammasu posted:

Do you think Biden or any other western leaders will get any Ukranian statues out of this? I know Clinton got one over Bosnia.

Hunter's Hog gets one.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Hunters hog doing a line off a tank

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

tiaz posted:

yeah but it's only the terminally uncool operators who are in us-east-1. so we'll all die but the places that actually paid designers will still be kicking until the power plants fall offline

fart apps will be fine, power plants and banks will die. software!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lammasu posted:

Boris Johnson may get one. He seems to have connected with a lot of folks. I would rather Biden didn't, personally. Not that I don't think he deserves some recognition, but I would rather Europe see this as Europe drawing together to solve their own problem. It's OK if they leave the US out of it, or at least deemphasize it.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
bojo made it clear he is NOT European tho

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Lammasu posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if every leader of Western and Eastern european nations get statues and memorials in Ukrainian cities for the help rendered. Bojo already has a plaque on Freedom Avenue (?) in Kyiv

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

What is with all the tankies showing up?

The same thing happened during the Ukrainian offensive last year. A bunch of people I've never seen post in either this or the D&D thread show up to explain how they can't believe America is forcing the gentle Ukrainian's (who are all nazi's btw) to fight to the last man for a lost cause, and how can everyone in this thread be so racist and bloodthirsty for not supporting the guys that brought you Bucha, and mods shut this thread down!!

I don't have a clear view of what is happening along the front. I'm sure its miserable, desperate, and sad for both sides. But, as the frequency and intensity of these types of posts increases, I can't help but think that Ukraine is just a few weeks away from forcing the invaders to withdraw even further. I know it's not logical, but neither is calling yourself a leftist and supporting a brutal colonial war. So :shrug:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BigRoman posted:

The same thing happened during the Ukrainian offensive last year. A bunch of people I've never seen post in either this or the D&D thread show up to explain how they can't believe America is forcing the gentle Ukrainian's (who are all nazi's btw) to fight to the last man for a lost cause, and how can everyone in this thread be so racist and bloodthirsty for not supporting the guys that brought you Bucha, and mods shut this thread down!!

Yeah, and then get some like-minded admin who has never shown up here before to fill in the paperwork and punch the button.

Then proceed to blame the regulars for russophobia and racism, while ignoring the fact that more than half of those goons were from Eastern Europe, and were just posting either news updates that hadn't reached the global news cycle yet, or statistics and stories about what happened in their country during the USSR years to give an idea of what happens if Ukraine loses.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cicero posted:

Isekai = portal fantasy.

It's just anime where some schmuck gets hit by a truck at the start and when he 'dies' he wakes up in a stereotypical vaguely European fantasy world.

Hey now. The original isekai anime involved a guy /nearly/ getting hit by a truck but falling into a portal to another world where an evil warlord convinces him to pilot bug mecha for him until a hot girl convinces him to defect and leave his fellow pilot from America to die.

Deteriorata posted:

Boris Johnson may get one. He seems to have connected with a lot of folks. I would rather Biden didn't, personally. Not that I don't think he deserves some recognition, but I would rather Europe see this as Europe drawing together to solve their own problem. It's OK if they leave the US out of it, or at least deemphasize it.

I dunno, this seems like a bad idea considering that America was basically the only country who had Ukraine's back for a long time.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

Finland is getting invaded right? I mean they joined NATO and Russia borders them

Yesterday I saw a drunk guy with no shirt and camo pants around his ankles leaning on a tree like he fell asleep trying to piss. The scene had a definite "russian military operation" vibe

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Kchama posted:

I dunno, this seems like a bad idea considering that America was basically the only country who had Ukraine's back for a long time.

Bojo, for his own selfish reasons but still, was the only leader who honored the 1994 Budapest Memorandum to the letter, kickstarting the entire direct western support for Ukraine.

USA had been training and modernizing the UAF since the 2014 war yes, but had not UK intervened, then there would not have been anyone to shame Germany and France into helping Ukraine instead of sitting this one out, and trying to strong-arm the rest of the EU to do the same.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Bojo, for his own selfish reasons but still, was the only leader who honored the 1994 Budapest Memorandum to the letter, kickstarting the entire direct western support for Ukraine.

USA had been training and modernizing the UAF since the 2014 war yes, but had not UK intervened, then there would not have been anyone to shame Germany and France into helping Ukraine instead of sitting this one out, and trying to strong-arm the rest of the EU to do the same.

That's fair. It still seems weird to go "Let's snub one of Ukraine's biggest supporters, and instead give all the honor to the people who had to literally shamed into helping Ukraine."

zone
Dec 6, 2016

New British Intelligence update dropped, but nothing we don't know already

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zone posted:

New British Intelligence update dropped, but nothing new

Ah yes my favorite . Stab in the back!!!!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zone posted:

New British Intelligence update dropped, but nothing we don't know already

God, it may be a pipe dream, but now I'm wondering if the Army proper will try have a go at the capital next time.

And it still gets me to think that if Putin had fallen down some stairs/out a window on Feb 21, 2022, he might have gone down in history as one of Russia's greatest leaders. Say what you like about him, he's world-class at making GBS threads himself :allears:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kchama posted:

Hey now. The original isekai anime involved a guy /nearly/ getting hit by a truck but falling into a portal to another world where an evil warlord convinces him to pilot bug mecha for him until a hot girl convinces him to defect and leave his fellow pilot from America to die.

Translator's note: who gives a gently caress?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1680101834281607169#m

quote:

⚡ During the night, the russians twice attacked the neighborhood of Zaporizhzhia by drone. A 62-year-old man was wounded, reports Yurii Malashko the head of the Zaporizhzhia Regional Military Administration.

During the day, the russian military shelled 45 peaceful towns and villages in the region. At present, 27 demolitions of housing and social infrastructure have been recorded in 15 settlements.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

weg posted:

I Used To Be a Dentist, Now I'm A Sunflower In Another Country.

Holy poo poo.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Translator's note: who gives a gently caress?

I do, fucker!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

There are no words to describe the criminality of Russia's leadership in creating a situation where the country can have no future by emptying their museums of military equipment.

The state's very history is in peril, and the greatest threat is coming from within.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1680120232851980288
You can always gently caress off and go home any day now. :troll:

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Deteriorata posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if BoJo was aiming more for a 'Tonibler' situation.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Captain Invictus posted:

a connecticut yankee in king arthurs court

Ooooh, deep cut.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

anonumos posted:

Ooooh, deep cut.

The original Isekai novel was Nový epochální výlet pana Broučka, tentokráte do XV. století, which was published a whole year before the hack fraud Twain (if that's even his real name) wrote the Connecticut Yankee, if Google recommended answer can be trusted. :colbert:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

steinrokkan posted:

The original Isekai novel was Nový epochální výlet pana Broučka, tentokráte do XV. století, which was published a whole year before the hack fraud Twain (if that's even his real name) wrote the Connecticut Yankee, if Google recommended answer can be trusted. :colbert:

Ya, well, he was American. What can you expect.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

quote:

Putin wants to travel to South Africa next month. The host country would prefer he didn’t.

An arrest warrant for the Russian leader from the International Criminal Court has created a diplomatic quandary ahead of an August summit.

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia is pushing ahead with plans to attend a summit in South Africa next month, even as the host nation grapples with diplomatic and legal fallout of his expected presence, South Africa’s deputy president said on Friday.

South Africa is scheduled to hold a meeting of BRICS nations — Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa — in Johannesburg in August. The heads of state from the other four nations are expected to attend, but an international arrest warrant for Mr. Putin has placed South Africa in a quandary.

“It’s a big dilemma for us,” the deputy president, Paul Mashatile, told the South African news website News24. “Of course, we cannot arrest him. It’s almost like you invite your friend to your house, and then arrest them. That’s why for us, his not coming is the best solution.”

The International Criminal Court has accused Mr. Putin of war crimes over his role in the abduction and deportation of Ukrainian children. South Africa, a member of the court, is obligated to arrest Mr. Putin if he arrives in the country. Mindful of their warm relations with Russia, South African officials have said they are seeking legal advice in assessing their obligations to the international court.

“The Russians are not happy, though,” Mr. Mashatile said. “They want him to come.”

Mr. Mashatile leads a committee tasked with figuring out how to handle the diplomatic headache. South African officials have pitched several possible solutions, all of which have failed to convince their counterparts in the BRICS nations, Vukani Mde, Mr. Mashatile’s spokesman, said.

A virtual summit was rejected, and so was the possibility of Russia’s foreign minister, Sergey V. Lavrov, standing in for Mr. Putin. There was also no “unanimous support” for the proposal to move the summit to China, which is not a member of the international court, Mr. Mde said.

Russian officials have pushed back, and are unhappy with the possibility of Mr. Putin being excluded from attending a meeting of heads of state. South Africa, however, is still trying to find a workaround, with its president, Cyril Ramaphosa, continuing to speak with Mr. Putin on the matter, the spokesman said.

“The South African government is very wary of an unprecedented situation of arresting a sitting head of state,” Mr. Mde said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/14/world/europe/putin-russia-south-africa-brics-summit.html

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

As a Cold War kid it's amazing to watch Russia get destroyed, and all we as Americans need to do is approve the next weapons or aid transfer. It's great!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BRICS going strong

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We need to make a new Zealander an admin for continuity sake

:11tea:

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Leaving your country to go to an unimportant overseas conference (the objective of which is pure vanity, just to try to 'show' Western sanctions aren't working) seems a great idea, especially if it happens shortly after a paramilitary uprising that almost seized the capital.

Everyone knows the likelihood of coups is at its lowest when the leader is out of the country.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tigey posted:

Leaving your country to go to an unimportant overseas conference (the objective of which is pure vanity, just to try to 'show' Western sanctions aren't working) seems a great idea, especially if it happens shortly after a paramilitary uprising that almost seized the capital.

Everyone knows the likelihood of coups is at its lowest when the leader is out of the country.

...and possibly confined to an embassy because the law enforcement carrying out an international arrest order is surrounding the building.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Comedy option - he is allowed to enter, but on the return trip the plane develops a technical fault (the toilet overflows), and the plane has to divert.

To the Hague.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1680134950907965441

quote:

Girkin says Ukraine has a chance to break through the occupiers' defence in Zaporizhzhia due to a lack of equipped and trained reserves for Russia. He revealed this in an hour-long livestream. The excerpt from a 10-minute intro is below, while the 2-minute video is a short snippet from it.

"The summer battle continues where the enemy is now not trying to break through but push through our frontline and “starve it out”.

The enemy continues applying main efforts in the Zaporizhzhia frontline, and the second area where he is transferring reserves, including those previously unused, is Bakhmut. The enemy is trying to achieve a result wherever possible, without abandoning the plans to break the Zaporizhzhia front.

After failures of attacks using concentrated columns, since columns like that ended up vulnerable to our artillery and aviation, the enemy moved to the tactic of a complete mixing with the ground of our units facing him. The enemy has a lot of shells, he’s not counting high-precision missiles.

Due to this, the enemy is trying to destroy, and completely knock out the units facing him in battle. The enemy is trying to avoid mass attacks as he made sure that breakthrough doesn’t depend on the number of vehicles, whether 4 or 40, thrown into battle, only the number of burned vehicles does.

Thus, offensive actions are led by fairly small assault groups with the support of several armoured vehicles, and all weapon systems used to destroy them are located by all types of enemy reconnaissances and then struck with artillery and high-precision missiles.

[…]

The enemy has the ability to withdraw weathered formations for rest and bring up fresh ones to continue the battle. But we have the same units fighting on the front - yes, they fight in defence, but the commanders who are continuously taking part in combat don’t feel much better from this.

It is a similar situation that led to the dismissal of the commander of the 58th Army, General Popov, who put forward an issue that existing personnel and equipment are not enough to carry out the rotation and give the troops at least some semblance of rest. And there are no reserves to bring them to a fully capable state.

[...]

I will not be revealing a military secret - the enemy knows the situation very well, unfortunately. But even in the secondary directions, the staffing of our forces again does not exceed 70%. In areas of the most fierce battles, it is significantly less.

Of course, it does not compare to the situation at the end of last summer/early autumn, when 20% staffing of units was considered normal, but our forces are taking losses continuously, while the stream of reinforcements and reservists from the rear has died down.

This means that if urgent measures are not taken, the enemy, unfortunately, has a chance to gnaw through our defence in Zaporizhzhia. And it will be then very difficult to stop him, and no Surovikin’s line which is still in a pretty deep rear will stop the enemy if it’s not taken by trained, properly equipped, and experienced troops.

If these troops die in the field, there will be no one to stop the enemy. This is the main question now: will the enemy be able to gnaw through our defence in 2-3 weeks, exchanging his soldiers for ours, or not, and will exhaust himself earlier.

[…]

We’re observing. Unfortuantely, we as the Angry Patriots’ Club are unable to do anything in this situation. Moreover, I understand the emotions of our Head of General Staff, the commander of the operation Gerasimov, when “some” army commander makes demands about the rotation of units.

Gerasimov does not have prepared and equipped reserves. Simply does not. All he has is already on the frontline, at the very least in tactical reserves. Transferring from other areas means weakening them. But transferring poorly trained mobilised units who are, let’s say, covering the “old regions” of Russia, is not a solution. These units have no experience, no vehicles, no good commanders, they will be simply smashed by the enemy and no one will be able to do anything about it.""
Igor continues his bitter carping about the state of affairs in Zaporizhzhia. If those troops currently manning the defense are all killed or wounded, then POCCNR is sunk as their defense lines won't be worth a single fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Tigey posted:

Comedy option - he is allowed to enter, but on the return trip the plane develops a technical fault (the toilet overflows), and the plane has to divert.

To the Hague.

I would never stop laughing. Any Western European country would do, really.